Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Anyone else use the 970 GTX with the Vive? It's pretty unplayable on the larger tracks for me. There's nothing like having your display go dark under braking into a corner.

I use it with the rift, I don't know how comparable they are in terms of requirements. I haven't encountered any frame rate issues yet, I just turned poo poo loads of stuff off and it didn't really look that bad to me so I just got on with it. Others may think it's horrible to look at, I don't know.

I've added my availability for the 24hr, I'm not able to do as much as I'd hoped but I can do 2-3 hours in the UK evening. My iRating is 3k if needed to sign up (I'm in work but could probably register, assuming I don't need to do any driving).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Quoting for new page.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I may be down to fill in some space for the 24h race if needed. We'll see as it gets closer to then.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Threw myself on the sheet, I want to try and get at least some time in this. Overnight AZ time is a safe bet for me but I could end up with more availability. I've got an offroad trip planned on Saturday but if it rains heavily it might get rescheduled / cancelled due to flash flooding concerns.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

You will have to turn a lot of things down. iRacing is poorly optimized so you need a beefy machine to run it, especially in VR.

Turns out the option that made the biggest diff is buried in an ini file :argh:

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Rated PG-34 posted:

which is that? I just run things lowish generally (on a 970 with the Vive) and turn off crowds/grandstands completely. The Daytona infield section for example has seen a marked improvement since I did that. I believe Monza is affected heavily as well. I get a solid 90 fps out of these basic settings, even with all others between medium and low (including AA and the other one that has a dropdown with a bunch of options).

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Probably LODPct in the renderer*.ini

Increase it to 150 and see if it helps.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

The 24 hour is now showing as starting at 14:30gmt because iracing are a bunch of loving idiots who can't set things up how they announce it.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
This is why we can't have nice things. There's a 30 minute warmup as well, so the race won't start until 1500 GMT. I'm changing the hours on the spreadsheet to reflect that, so if you've put in availability, go in and adjust when you get a chance.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

Lord Crapulus posted:

This is why we can't have nice things. There's a 30 minute warmup as well, so the race won't start until 1500 GMT. I'm changing the hours on the spreadsheet to reflect that, so if you've put in availability, go in and adjust when you get a chance.

The best bit is the advertising on the side of the main site has it at 1300gmt. I wonder which will change? Given their general competency around communication and organisation I suspect neither.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Yeah, I liked the screenshot you put in the forums. Summed it all up, really.

Hey, which team has the BearPope livery set up? We should use that one.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

I would see if you can leave the PD at 1.5, then in game turn off the in-car dynamic shadows off, turn off AA, set crowds and not track items to low, uncheck soft/full particles. Thats what I run using a 970 and rift. You get dips at certain tracks but I haven't had much issue.

Even with OBS streaming to twitch it runs pretty well.
Warning, terrible driving: https://www.twitch.tv/spacehomos/v/115286104. Skip to the middle for driving. I also can't multitask and was talking to others while practicing.
Since the VR mirroring in extremely tall I cropped out the top and bottom. Tried to make the uploaded part a 16:9 box and then downsample to 720 to not kill my bandwidth.

also this is rgbRandomizer on discord

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 17, 2017

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

I think I run with ppd at 100. When I was setting it up I didn't really notice a difference but now I'm used to it I might try playing around with slightly higher settings to see if I can notice a difference. I should probably get prescription lenses at some point but it's only mild astigmatism which means everything's just a bit blurrier without glasses but not enough to make much of a difference.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Lord Crapulus posted:

Hey, which team has the BearPope livery set up? We should use that one.

I made a Team BearPope, but I haven't spammed everyone to join it. So either everyone should join it, or I'll link the .tga here and the Turn One Hiros team owner can upload (so Trading Paints can gently caress up and not display it anyway)

Any suggestions to tweak that livery? I'll be practicing tonight, so I can make changes to the livery before I start practicing. Driver names are still TBD, so I don't think I will bother with names.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Use Team BearPope for Brand Awareness Reasons. Also you don't have to spam invite people, just have people able to join the session at the start and use password access for latecomers.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

After their maintenance this morning, the start time is now 1300 GMT/7a CST. There's a 30 minute warmup, so green flag will be around 1333 or so. A full fuel stint is very roughly 55 minutes if I'm remembering all the way back to last week's IMSA.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

The Science Goy posted:

I made a Team BearPope, but I haven't spammed everyone to join it. So either everyone should join it, or I'll link the .tga here and the Turn One Hiros team owner can upload (so Trading Paints can gently caress up and not display it anyway)

So we are only running one team, right? Just the Mercedes?

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Seems likely unless we get tons more interest. I think there's 7 on the sheet now, that'll still make for some extended driving time.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I invited everyone currently on the sheet to Team BearPope, and updated the paint on Trading Paints. Because we know how awesome TP is at team racing, here is the .tga file.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'll get the tga uploaded for Turn 1 Hiros in a few minutes.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I added a qual set and a lower wing/rake race set to the spreadsheet. I haven't tried a long run with the alternate race set and probably won't until later in the week, but give these things a shot and tell me what's wrong with them.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Reminder kamel gt is still a thing guys be there thurs night!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I did some testing to make sure my computer won't die a slow agonizing death like it did while streaming last year - it looks like iRacing has made things slightly less terrible for mid-grade systems. I also added a scene switcher image, so I have something a bit more pretty when re-loading iRacing. I should be able to switch between single-screen mode (streaming only) and triples (streaming while driving) with a fancy image displayed in between.

https://www.twitch.tv/casefacemcgee/v/115531396

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fighting with Trading Paints, it takes the Merc .tga, but won't apply it to the team. Trying to reach out to TP for help via the iRacing painting forums.
Worse comes to worse, y'all can just manually download the file, rename it to car_team_11784.tga and put it inside your \iRacing\paint\mercedesamggt3 folder.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I would see if you can leave the PD at 1.5, then in game turn off the in-car dynamic shadows off, turn off AA, set crowds and not track items to low, uncheck soft/full particles. Thats what I run using a 970 and rift. You get dips at certain tracks but I haven't had much issue.

Even with OBS streaming to twitch it runs pretty well.
Warning, terrible driving: https://www.twitch.tv/spacehomos/v/115286104. Skip to the middle for driving. I also can't multitask and was talking to others while practicing.
Since the VR mirroring in extremely tall I cropped out the top and bottom. Tried to make the uploaded part a 16:9 box and then downsample to 720 to not kill my bandwidth.

also this is rgbRandomizer on discord

I tried, and I still get black outs especially on the larger tracks like circuit de la sarthe. Maybe it's my less than stellar OC'd i5 2500k.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That's a rig which is really showing its age. My old build was an i7-2600k and it wasn't always up to par.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It's more than likely a combination of running the slowest recommended GPU for VR, and your quite frankly ancient (for high-end gaming) CPU/motherboard. You really need PCIe 3.0 for VR to work right, the extra throughput over 2.0 is pretty much a must.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
To make sure TP runs the right paint, I think the owner of the team has to register the team for the session.

So make sure whoever owns the team is around at registration time I guess.

(ps. ADMIN IS NOT OWNER THIS DOESN'T WORK DON'T gently caress UP AND HAVE AN ADMIN REGISTER BY MISTAKE)

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

If we use Team BearPope, we need to be careful who registers - just Crapulus and I (team owner and driver who wants to start) would put us at a 5000 team iR, and I don't want to get stomped that badly in the race since that would be near split 2 of 10 (possibly top split, but I doubt it)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just make sure one of the 1500 or so guys is registered and have Crapulus register after the split, that'll get you in at around 3k.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Alternately, Harveygod said he could start, maybe that'd be a better idea and I'd do the second stint or something. Case/Harvey would put us at 2600ish, that's probably about where we want to be. Whatever, I'm flexible.

E: otoh with all the attrition in a 24hr race, even in a high split if we keep the car clean we could get a good finish. Plus dat draft!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Oh yeah, I forgot: you can also register a team but not register yourself as a driver.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I wasn't sure if I should sign up or not because I might be camping this weekend - still trying to get a good idea of what the weather is going to be.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vando posted:

To make sure TP runs the right paint, I think the owner of the team has to register the team for the session.

So make sure whoever owns the team is around at registration time I guess.

(ps. ADMIN IS NOT OWNER THIS DOESN'T WORK DON'T gently caress UP AND HAVE AN ADMIN REGISTER BY MISTAKE)
Really? Christ TP is the worst, it should go off the Team ID not the loving Driver ID. OK I'll try to be around at goddamn 5am Pacific to get T1H registered.

Also, my iR for road is 1042 so uh, that might be a problem for getting a preferred split?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Bentai posted:

Really? Christ TP is the worst, it should go off the Team ID not the loving Driver ID. OK I'll try to be around at goddamn 5am Pacific to get T1H registered.

Also, my iR for road is 1042 so uh, that might be a problem for getting a preferred split?

So, wait, are we racing as Team BearPope or Turn 1 Hiros?

For split targeting: My road iRating is 1220. (e: I've added this to the sheet.)

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 18, 2017

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I was under the impression it was going to be Turn 1 Hiros, running the Team BearPope paint.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Bentai posted:

I was under the impression it was going to be Turn 1 Hiros, running the Team BearPope paint.

Teams mean literally nothing beyond the name anyway so I wouldn't worry about it. When they start making team championships, that's when we need to worry about using the same one. Caseface already said he's set up TBP and will be around for the start, so you can stay in bed.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Vando posted:

Teams mean literally nothing beyond the name anyway so I wouldn't worry about it. When they start making team championships, that's when we need to worry about using the same one. Caseface already said he's set up TBP and will be around for the start, so you can stay in bed.

I need to be be awake to set up the stream anyway, so I can do the registration for TBP. Registration should open ~30 minutes prior to the session starting, and I want to get registered ASAP in case the site shits the bed like usual.

If i can register the team without also joining as a driver, that gives us more options to get our desired split iR.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I can verify you're able to register the team without yourself being a driver. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

The Science Goy posted:

If i can register the team without also joining as a driver, that gives us more options to get our desired split iR.

So what should we be aiming for? Also I see the spreadsheet is up to 9, at some point should we think about starting a second car (also giving us a little bit of protection in case one gets GT3'd early)?