Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

EdEddnEddy posted:

I wonder how many more 2500K/2600K's will be ran until they actually die vs any other chip? I mean really when has the CPU actually been the cause of a new system rebuild vs almost any other part around it.

Interesting for sure.

I replaced a 4.6Ghz 2500K with a Haswell not because of the Sandybridge failing, but because of my server machine based on a 10 year old C2Q failing. Figured it'd be one of the only good chances I'd get to upgrade my main computer so I turned the Sandybridge into the new server machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BurritoJustice posted:

Where did you get 25% from? SiliconLottery is quoting 62% for 7700K's.
things can go up to 5ghz in prime but crash and burn in variable workloads such as "running photoshop" and playing video games

so the 62% prime95 figure is pretty suspect and most definitely not a figure to drive up sales volume from their site!!!!

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Regrettable posted:

Crossposting from the overclock thread since this one's a bit more active.

I overclocked my 6600k to 4.6GHz using an offset a few months ago and everything has been fine so far, but I opened HWMonitor out of curiosity today and noticed that it's showing my CPU frequency at 4.6GHz at idle even though the VCore is dropping and CPU-Z is doing the same. I already checked to make sure that I'm still using an offset and have C States and EIST enabled. I've updated my BIOS and reapplied my overclock settings and it hasn't fixed it. I'm also using the newest version of both programs and I last checked a few weeks ago and everything was working properly so I don't know what's going on. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

e: I figured it out. Windows Power Management option was set to High Performance for some reason. Changing it to Balanced fixed it.

I had a similar problem the last time I overclocked my 3770k. I ended up solving it by opening advanced power plan settings and changing minimum processor frequency (I think that's what it's called) from 5% to 1%. There must've been something running in Windows 10 that was just keeping it above the threshold and stopping the CPU from going to idle states.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Dali Parton posted:

I expected more of a jump from my old i7 930 to my i5 6500. Haven't really noticed any difference outside of entirely CPU bound games.

Interesting. I've been looking for a way to justify an upgrade from my i7 920 for a while now; I was hoping for more of a big bang upgrade that didn't come with Kaby Lake. I've upgraded the graphics card twice (now a 1070), increased the RAM and added a newer/faster SSD, but the core of my machine is 7 years old and still ticking over (at 3.6ghz).

I'd really like something new and shiny, but given the amount of use it gets these days I can't justify it until it kicks the bucket. It's occasionally failing to boot the first time now so maybe the end is near..

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Palladium posted:

http://www.techspot.com/article/1313-intel-q6600-ten-years-later/

Q6600 gets creamed by games today even when OCed, but the real star is Skylake 2C/4T which is now priced at $64. Hyperthreading scales hilariously well on 2 cores.
I'm still running a Q6700, so when I finally upgrade it looks like it'll be a significant jump in performance.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

things can go up to 5ghz in prime but crash and burn in variable workloads such as "running photoshop" and playing video games

so the 62% prime95 figure is pretty suspect and most definitely not a figure to drive up sales volume from their site!!!!

Would it not be in their better interest to quote a lower figure, therefore making their "guaranteed 5GHz+" CPU more rare and therefore more desirable over rolling the dice with a retail one? If it was 1/4 they wouldn't be selling 5GHz 7600K's for only $10 above retail.

Also the idea of something being stable in prime95 and unstable otherwise is completely counter to the usual goon groupthink of "don't bother with prime95 stability as it is a way higher load than your CPU will see in literally any other situation".

Not to mention the shitloads of reviews and anecdotal reports you can find all over the internet of people getting 5GHz easily in the 1.3-1.4v range.

E: Also why would we put more weight on "I heard this on the internet unsourced" over a company that exists solely to buy CPUs in bulk and bins them, getting objective data on average overclock ability.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 17, 2017

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

BurritoJustice posted:

Would it not be in their better interest to quote a lower figure, therefore making their "guaranteed 5GHz+" CPU more rare and therefore more desirable over rolling the dice with a retail one? If it was 1/4 they wouldn't be selling 5GHz 7600K's for only $10 above retail.
Yes, it would be. I don't think the other guy grasps how their business works.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So with Z270 having an extra M2 slot specifically designed by Intel for Optane memory, could we actually be seeing Optane release this year in consumer availability?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SlayVus posted:

So with Z270 having an extra M2 slot specifically designed by Intel for Optane memory, could we actually be seeing Optane release this year in consumer availability?

I think the initial Optane support on the Z270 is going to be via DIMM slot. Intel missed their "end of 2016" window for their "Mansion Beach" PCIe SSD, and it's curious that they haven't mentioned anything now that KL is out in the channel.

Correction: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-xpoint-optane-drives-q1-2017/

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just bought a Z270+7700K with the hope Optane isn't a huge piece of poo poo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

redeyes posted:

I just bought a Z270+7700K with the hope Optane isn't a huge piece of poo poo.

What exactly are you expecting out of optane? Faster game load times?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The marketing numbers for performance are now under a magnitude of difference between it and traditional SSDs, right? Optane is looking less like a miracle all the time.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Optane is basically NVMe with smaller capacity but better endurance.

It is an intriguing choice as a frontend cache for your giant enterprise database.

It is not for your xtreme gaming rig in the year 2017.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

PerrineClostermann posted:

The marketing numbers for performance are now under a magnitude of difference between it and traditional SSDs, right? Optane is looking less like a miracle all the time.

I think the really big marketing numbers like the "1000x" stuff was based on the speed of the Optane itself vs the speed of NAND. The smaller speedup numbers they've shown off more recently is the speed of an Optane SSD vs an NVMe NAND SSD.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
"Under a magnitude" might sound dull, but an order of magnitude is still 10x the difference. If random IO ends up being "just" 5x as fast as on regular SSDs, it might prove as a plus under certain workloads.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

And in consumer land, doesn't Microsoft have to update a lot on the backend to take advantage of any of the speed of even modern SSD's as we are seeing now with the move to nVME and seeing literally no difference in application start/OS load performance and stuff like that?

At this point you would only see the performance improvement if you are moving around large files, video editing stuff, or running a bunch of VM's. Outside of that >1GB/s seems like it is being lost in normal usage scenarios.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
The best use of all that speed is backups, if people could backup and restore 100GB of data in under 2 minutes they would actually make backups.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Perplx posted:

The best use of all that speed is backups, if people could backup and restore 100GB of data in under 2 minutes they would actually make backups.

No they wouldn't.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rastor posted:

Optane is basically NVMe with smaller capacity but better endurance.

It is an intriguing choice as a frontend cache for your giant enterprise database.

It is not for your xtreme gaming rig in the year 2017.

NVMe isn't a kind of flash, it's a command interface. Optane is a different kind of storage, but it's (presumably, given that Intel has only demonstrated PCIe drives so far) still going to be using NVMe.

(That said, of course it's speed is pointless for home users. Optane's most touted benefit is cutting latency to 1/10th that of existing SSDs, which already have latency measured in hundreds of microseconds)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Perplx posted:

That wouldn't increase the amount of people who want to backup in the first place, and most people just end up shoving everything in spare hard drives off a USB toaster after waiting long enough and shoving them in staticproof ziploc bags

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Perplx posted:

Not if it costs $FUCKOFF per terabyte.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Platystemon posted:

Not if it costs $FUCKOFF per terabyte.

Even at very cheap costs most people still wouldn't.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Losing valuable, sentimental, or precious information/video/photos/steven universe fan fiction is just something most people accept. The people who save things for further generations to point and laugh at are actually fairly rare.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
or you could just upload to google drive and let them do all the backups for you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lube banjo posted:

or you could just upload to google drive and let them do all the backups for you

That works for small datasets.

Hard disk drives work for large datasets.

Solid state storage is bad for any size backup.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

That works for small datasets.

Hard disk drives work for large datasets.

Solid state storage is bad for any size backup.

If I could back up with SSDs I would do it like 10 times a day.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The thing with backups is that nobody wants to do them and nobody wants to pay for them. Backups are rare and when they exist will always go onto the cheapest storage. SSD prices are dropping but it will still be a while before they are that cheap.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I back up everything to Backblaze which, at the time at least, was surprisingly cheap fit unlimited cloud backup. Don't know what I'll do if I ever have to recover it all other than pay shitloads for them to ship me drives but at least I have the option.

Google Photos is my other backup option

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm really curious what you guys are backing up that won't fit in some combination of Google Drive, Photos, and Music.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm really curious what you guys are backing up that won't fit in some combination of Google Drive, Photos, and Music.

Just some back of the napkin numbers, but I have about 100GB of photos alone. If you have a decently nice camera, an individual photo can easily be 5-10MB. If you have a very nice camera and shoot RAW, individual photos can easily be 50+MB. Each.

Music I have probably another 75GB of stuff I'd bother to back up, mostly FLAC rips of CDs. Sure, I could compress down to MP3, but why?

Then there are documents, which I've got another ~100GB worth. This is everything from scanned loan documents, housing inspections, tax records, medical image scans, etc.

So overall about 300GB of "core" stuff. Sure, I could (and do) back this up to the cloud, but only because I have a FiOS connection with 150Mbps upload. I wouldn't even consider doing it on a more pedestrian 10Mbps cable upload.

And that's not even mentioning all the various movies and such that, while not irreplaceable like the above, would be highly obnoxious to re-collect.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Isn't the lowest tier Dropbox 1tb? Go hog wild dude.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

DrDork posted:

Just some back of the napkin numbers, but I have about 100GB of photos alone. If you have a decently nice camera, an individual photo can easily be 5-10MB. If you have a very nice camera and shoot RAW, individual photos can easily be 50+MB. Each.

Music I have probably another 75GB of stuff I'd bother to back up, mostly FLAC rips of CDs. Sure, I could compress down to MP3, but why?

Then there are documents, which I've got another ~100GB worth. This is everything from scanned loan documents, housing inspections, tax records, medical image scans, etc.

So overall about 300GB of "core" stuff. Sure, I could (and do) back this up to the cloud, but only because I have a FiOS connection with 150Mbps upload. I wouldn't even consider doing it on a more pedestrian 10Mbps cable upload.

And that's not even mentioning all the various movies and such that, while not irreplaceable like the above, would be highly obnoxious to re-collect.

I've gone ahead and accepted lossy compression, so for free I have unlimited storage of 16 megapixel JPGs and 1080p h264 home video (are these the movies you've got backed up?) at a decent bitrate on google photos. That can be millions of photos, stored for free.

Google Music stores 50,000 songs at 320 kbps MP3, or V0 which is really good enough. Entirely free.

I'm impressed you've got 100GB of documents, because I've been keeping PDFs from absolutely all my mortgage / tax / car /insurance paperwork over the years and it totals about 1GB. This is what I'm keeping in free Google Drive space.

I get that $5/mo to keep original quality stuff isn't that expensive, but I find it so much easier now just to embrace all of the free object storage available to us and not even bother keeping originals locally.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Considering how easy it is to spoof my 6P as a Pixel XL which gets the Unlimited Original quality Google Photos backup, using it as a gateway to upload pretty much every mobile pic I have taken is pretty handy especially with all the built in organization Google Photos has built in. And it takes up 0G on the storage quota.

No idea when they will catch on, but I could always use one of my families actual Pixel's to do the same thing.

Outside of that, getting 100G~ of free storage through one of the cloud providers isn't too hard, and I have uploaded over 100G+ over a 6Mbit Wireless upload as it only takes time. 1TB I would think would be a bit more painful for sure.

I pay for a Groove Music sub so that gets me 100G of OneDrive storage that I can shove all my music onto and stream it anywhere in the original quality as well as have access to pretty much anything else out there.

And I have a few local backups on NAS's and other external harddrives for stuff I don't absolutely need to keep forever, but don't want to have clutter up my local system. (GoPro video projects, other old backups and such). I got like 30+ 500G HDD's from my last job they were just going to throw away. (old storage array) so they make great storage drives in a pinch even if they are slow as hell (Like maximum transfer speed of 30MB/s ugh)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
The issue isn't paying for space, frankly. $5/mo is basically a rounding error on my bank statements, so whatever. The barrier is (prior to FiOS) the bandwidth to actually make use of it. 300GB isn't too bad to back up, now, but before it would have been a massive pain.

The ~7TB of movies, on the other hand, is simply not gonna happen even on FiOS. Hence why I've also got a local backup in the form of an 8TB external drive. I figure the $200 I spent on it is well worth not having to go through the effort of re-collecting everything if I ever gently caress up my zpool (again).

The thing is, most people just aren't willing to bother with backups. It's frankly not super expensive. If you use external drives it doesn't even take too long. It's just :effort: and it turns out that's quite enough of a reason for the majority of people to never do it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Most people don't keep 7TB of movies, which frankly makes a lot of sense.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
No, but from experience most people don't bother to back up their <50GB of critical data, either. The ability to back things up is highly secondary to the effort of actually doing so for most people.

This is the same reason that whenever I hop on to my mother's, sister's, girlfriend's, or several of my less technologically-inclined co-worker's computers I invariably see some notification about the 1839 updates they have pending.

In that respect Microsoft was not entirely wrong in their mentality about forced updates in Win10.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I feel like we're getting into the extreme worst-case scenario for someone who needs to back up their data. I mean, if you're lugging around a library of congress-sized library, then yes maybe you should take a little time to make backups. Otherwise the cloud is a reasonable alternative to backups.

what the hell were we talking about again?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

After one too many HDD crashes and such, making sure I have a backup of whatever I am working on regardless of what it is, has been a normal process ever since. The days of HDD restore task I hope can be behind me for my own stuff at least, however there is always the one family member or friend, hell even the GF has never done a backup of her iPhone and even if iCloud was turned on, thats not all the pictures she has inevitably taken. Ugh

I know Raid is no replacement for a backup, but its a good start for things like my parents home business PC in Raid-1, then backed up to a Raid 1 (or now Raid-Z1) NAS, and her business program itself gets backed up to a DVD-R on occasion as well just to be sure. Considering using Backblaze down the line, but since we haven't had anything above a 384kbit upload until recently, it was never in the cards until now.

It's nice once all the backup stuff becomes automated and reliably works. Until then, it is a royal pain to set it all up sometimes though.

^The potential use for nVME powered Optane storage in a Consumer sense. If it ever actually comes to light as a consumer product.

Also, aren't current consumer SSD's actually terrible backup medium since they can eventually loose their memory charge over time? Isn't spinning rust technically more reliable for that still?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Until then, it is a royal pain to set it all up sometimes though.
Nah not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Lube banjo posted:

what the hell were we talking about again?

How Optane will not be appropriate for backups thanks to its super high transfer speed.

Setting up a simple mirror or dumping drive A to drive B once a week via an automated backup program is pretty simple. Setting up multiple layers of redundancy for stuff that actually warrants it (like a home business) is not. I cannot tell you how obnoxious it was trying to find a viable setup for my ex who ran a photo business: she wanted to have a SSD for workspace stuff, but even a 500GB SSD got filled pretty fast (wedding photos, videos, etc. from multiple clients at a time), so she needed a layer of decent HDD's to take the overflow. Then she needed an archive (big rear end NAS in this case) for completed work. Then an in-home backup for all of that. And then a remote backup as well.

There simply was no automated program that I could find that would do what was really needed: pop up a big gently caress-off warning every few days that said "BACK YOUR loving poo poo UP TO THE EXTERNAL RIGHT GOD DAMNED NOW" and not let her do literally anything else until that was done. Because, as it turns out, the weakest link in most backup strategies is the dumb meatbag who thinks she'll "do it later" for months on end and then dumps a soda into the top of her computer.