Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
To add to what the others have said, it's basically a step up from a disposable camera. The socket on the top (just above the front Kodak logo) is for a flip-flash, these are bars of eight single-use flash bulbs. When you have used half of the bulbs, you turn it over and connect the other end to use the rest. I doubt you'll find any of those still around but they sucked anyway so just stick to daylight shooting. You can't change the shutter speed but you can adjust the aperture with the weather dial selector on the top. You wind the film on with a lever in the bottom.

110 film is pretty bulletproof because you (the user) never take it out of the cartridge, you just plug it in, shoot it and take it out.. It's going to be grainy as gently caress though because no-one made 110 cartridges with nice film stock and the resolution will be tiny thanks to the very small negative size. If you can find cartridges that haven't been expired for too long and a place that will develop them, then go ahead. It might be fun to play with and it's fine for what it was intended for - a cheap camera to put in your pocket and take pictures of your friends having fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like bad photos so it's a win-win

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Darkroom still develops 110

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
For the longest time I was annoyed at not getting eyes in perfect focus with my Sigma 85mm f1.4 DG HSM (not the new Art one) on a Nikon D750 when shooting wide open, so I finally got around to do the AF micro adjusting. Holy crap, it needed a +17 adjustment! Are such large numbers expected? Let's see how it goes at the next portrait shoot and hope I didn't mess up something while doing the adjusting :)

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

You landed in the right place then!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bowmore posted:

Check out my flickr merry xmas goon

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I loved my 110 camera as a kiddo.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

I loved my 110 camera as a kiddo.

Same here, 110 having friendo. I had a Halina Supershooter that I got as a 7th birthday present and, which I'm pretty sure never produced a single correctly exposed or in focus photo ever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kids who shot 110 cameras crew :cool::respek::cool::respek::cool:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

kids who shot 110 cameras crew :cool::respek::cool::respek::cool:
Sup.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I love 110 format.

I've gotten my hands on a Pentax 110 Auto a year or so ago, and it rarely leaves my bag. It's crazy how tiny it is. It also has a bunch of tiny little lenses to go with it, too. I highly recommend checking it out if you can get it for cheap. Here's where I got mine. This set only includes some of the items that were released for this camera. http://www.ultrafineonline.com/peau110slrou.html

Here's a sample photo I've taken with it.

E010 by Shara Miller, on Flickr

As far as getting stuff developed goes, Lomography develops 110, but I don't know if it's the cheapest place to do it. There's this place in Chicago where I get it developed, but their prices keep going up. I may take a crack at developing it myself.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I see the same guy listing a Pentax 110 kit in my area every few months and I am always tempted to get it, but then I remember finding cheap film (:canada:) and having it developed would be a pain in the rear end and it'd just end up collecting dust. But I love that Pentax actually decided to make an entire SLR system around the 110 format though.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 4, 2017

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Regarding 110 development I think i have 110 film reels for a not Patterson tank, so if your super ambitious you could find some and go that route.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Guess i'll have to offer my Pentax auto 110 with a bunch of lenses up for sale! (soon)

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Yup. 7-8yo me had one of these in, I think, red, white, and yellow. I took pictures of sunsets through the screens of the back windows.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Seeing as it's a new year I figure its a good time to work on my workflow. Last year I had a big catalog called 2016 that all of my general photos went in to. If I went to an event and took a lot of photos, it'd get its own separate catalog for ease of finding stuff. Is that a good way to do it?
I got my own CC subscription instead of bumming so I have photoshop now, I gotta figure out what it does better than LR and work it in.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 10, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I do yearly collections. Unless you're a pro studio shooting a massive volume it's ok to do this.

PS is better for any kind of editing of specific areas/elements of a photo. LR is great for quickly making photo-wide changes.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have a collection per month for all my random walking-about shots as well as separate collections for specific events or sessions. This mirrors my Flickr album organisation and makes it easy to find images if I want to re-edit them or export a new version.

I don't open Photoshop very often for digital images (it's a major part of my film workflow though) unless I want to clone something out or do a lot of healing. Lightroom has healing and clone tools but they aren't nearly as powerful as the ones in Photoshop, plus it's hard to make lots of adjustments close to each other in Lightroom.

If you do infrared photography, you'll need Photoshop to swap the red and blue channels too.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I hate cloning things out in LR, it's so loving tedious to make it look okay if it's something big. Gunna definitely get my moneys worth out of an improved cloning tool.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Any suggestions regarding printers? I haven't had a printer for a very long time and picked up a cheap canon for 40 bucks. It seemed to have good reviews but I just got around to hooking it up and I am getting vertical lines appearing across photo prints - head alignment and cleaning has not helped (text is unaffected but I was looking forward to actually being able to print photos).

So if I cut my losses and get something better, I guess I am looking for something that could print larger than 8.5x11, something that would print well out of the box (I don't know if it is a common situation but I would love to avoid needing to run every troubleshooting option to fix a dumb problem out of the box) and maybe look good without needing to delve into profiles. Ink cost and efficiency are a plus but I am not hopeful since the whole printer market is meant to bleed you dry from ink sales.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

rio posted:

Any suggestions regarding printers? I haven't had a printer for a very long time and picked up a cheap canon for 40 bucks. It seemed to have good reviews but I just got around to hooking it up and I am getting vertical lines appearing across photo prints - head alignment and cleaning has not helped (text is unaffected but I was looking forward to actually being able to print photos).

So if I cut my losses and get something better, I guess I am looking for something that could print larger than 8.5x11, something that would print well out of the box (I don't know if it is a common situation but I would love to avoid needing to run every troubleshooting option to fix a dumb problem out of the box) and maybe look good without needing to delve into profiles. Ink cost and efficiency are a plus but I am not hopeful since the whole printer market is meant to bleed you dry from ink sales.

What do you want to do with these prints? Photo album for the family or frame them / sell them?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I imagine that for most people it's not worth dealing with the hassle of an inkjet. I just use Costco for everyday prints (right balance of price, quality, and turnaround time), and for fancy stuff I rely on Aspen Creek Photo.
edit:

rio posted:

Related question - any recommendations as to where to have stuff printed? Like, the most inexpensive good prints I can get online?
I guess we've discussed this before -- what was the outcome there?

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 24, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The outcome there was I logged the info, don't remember what it was and still haven't gotten around to it haha. Which is why I was looking forward to printing some pictures because t certainly made it easier than having to sit down with thousands of pictures and decide "where do I want to start printing". Although a Costco did open near me (finally) and I was considering getting a membership mainly because I remembered them being recommended for prints. And I could buy enough cat food for a year in one trip.

Regarding the purpose of the printer, I would like something better than just meh quality photo album 4x6 family pictures. I don't have any plan to sell prints but I would love to print out some things to get pictures around the house, give them as gifts (what a bad gift) and if it ever ended up that there seemed to be a reason to print anything to sell it then that would be cool. I just have no idea of where to start since I have only bought cheap printers before and they have all sucked in one way or another. So I also don't even know if it is unrealistic to be considering getting high quality prints from a printer I could buy that was not absurdly expensive (like, thousands of dollars).

Like, a couple years ago I did the dorkroom photo exchange and I feel awful but I can't remember who my guy was. But he sent me prints that he made himself and one of them was something longer than 11 inches and it was very cool to me that he could print that out himself. I would just like to be able to impulse print things and hang them up, particularly because my daughter has been expressing interest in photography too and I would love for her to see pictures on paper instead of just on a screen.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

rio posted:

Like, a couple years ago I did the dorkroom photo exchange and I feel awful but I can't remember who my guy was. But he sent me prints that he made himself and one of them was something longer than 11 inches and it was very cool to me that he could print that out himself.
I ran the last Print Exchange, late 2013. According to my records, you were sent prints by:
Bob Socko
and
ShotgunWillie

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I don't know what other thread to put this in, so I'm putting it here.

I made a page that's a photo retrospective for myself in 2016.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

thetzar posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802740

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

thetzar posted:

Nice collection. I liked the way it was presented too.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Oh, hey.

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM
My 50D took a poo poo so I upgraded to a 70D but I'm still using Lightroom 3. Now I have to convert from CR2 to DNG. Is there any data loss doing it this way? Is Lightroom 3 a poor match for a camera like the 70D?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DNG is fine, and will most prob be around for a bunch longer than whatever proprietary raw converter supplied with your camera.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Anyone got some good online books/essays on composition/intent etc. In a rut and I'm annoyed at the quality of my photos and yeah.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Yeah, but maybe go buy some offline books instead.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

burzum karaoke posted:

Yeah, but maybe go buy some offline books instead.

I'm working on it! They are more expensive in Aus though and the entertainment budgets running a little slim.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

underage at the vape shop posted:

Anyone got some good online books/essays on composition/intent etc. In a rut and I'm annoyed at the quality of my photos and yeah.

Do what i did: sell all your gear and back order new gear. Having no camera is making me itch to shoot like nothing else. I've had great shoot ideas since i've been just thinking about it, and it's really motivated me.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

ahahahahaha

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I'm working on it! They are more expensive in Aus though and the entertainment budgets running a little slim.

Just get a used copy of this: https://www.amazon.com/Being-Photographer-Practical-Guide/dp/1888803061/

These 2 books are not bad too:
https://www.amazon.com/Larry-Fink-Composition-Improvisation-Photography/dp/1597112739/
https://www.amazon.com/Todd-Hido-Landscapes-Interiors-Nude/dp/1597112976/

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

no way, do the thing where you sell everything and enjoy your daydreams instead :angel:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am a way bigger badass in my dreams, I think this approach has some merit.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I have ideas, I just feel my eye for a potentially good shot is a lot better than my ability to take it. Sometimes its the cameras fault but a lot of the time its mine.

Thanks for the links. I'm gunna check them out and go back through my flickr favourites and think about the process rather than just about why I like them and try and apply that when I'm out next

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sometimes its the cameras fault....