Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also calibrating the lens with the target at your most used focus distance will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Excellent, thanks, everyone!

I've been trying different focus modes in the hopes of finding something, so at this point I believe I've tried everything except 3D tracking, which I can't figure out how to activate.

It does seem like some of this may simply be an issue of resolution on the body - if I take a shot from two feet away, you can make out hairs and pores. 6 feet and there's very little resolution.

I'll try it out on my wife's 7200 to try to confirm that.

Focus shift could be the issue, too. Sounds like I should just shoot at 1.4 always! :q:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It isn't just you, I prefer my 35mm f/1.8 over my 50mm f/1.4 for most situations exactly because of the focus reason.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kenshin posted:

It isn't just you, I prefer my 35mm f/1.8 over my 50mm f/1.4 for most situations exactly because of the focus reason.
That makes me feel better.

Would the 1.4G be better? I bought the D recently and may be able to exchange it. It kind of sounds like this may affect that lens as well, though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Would the 1.4G be better? I bought the D recently and may be able to exchange it. It kind of sounds like this may affect that lens as well, though.

I have the G, so no.

I use both lenses on my D7200.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Only in photography could something be fundamentally broken, sell for several hundred dollars, and get issued in multiple versions without a fix.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Software too.

The 50 1.8g is the lens to have. The 1.4 is only really good if you use 1.4

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Unless you very much need the extra aperture I don't think the 1.4 is worth it over a 1.8g

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Hi.

I recently got a D5100 and some lenses for free. I've been using Canon for like, 15 years, so it's super confusing to me. (the thing that was so confusing at first is that everything is the opposite, i.e. changing the lens you turn left, not right, and zooming in is to the right, not the left).

Anyways my problem is the autofocus is SO slow, and sometimes doesn't even autofocus at all, so I literally can't take a picture, it just won't do it. The canon would still take a picture if I held down the button, but this one doesn't. So if I want to shoot something that is a really brief moment, like a cat doing something stupid, I end up missing it because the dumb camera either makes stupid noises trying to focus, or does nothing at all. And sometimes it just doesn't even try to autofocus. It's like, "meh I don't feel like focusing right now."

I just accidentally figured out how to adjust the focus points, but now I can't figure out how to get it back to the auto focus on all points. And a random complaint: on my Canon when I had it on all focus points it still determined the correct subject, but on the Nikon, it doesn't so even on a low f-stop and being close up to the subject, it'll focus on the background :psyduck:

If I'm filming a video, it's constantly re-focusing during the filming, so the video ends up being this weird focus/unfocus craziness.

Also, it shines this bright white light when you try to focus and that obviously makes my cats squint so the photos don't turn out as good as they did on my Canon, which doesn't have a bright light.

The lens I'm currently using is a .. well the box says: "AF-S DX NIKKOR 180-140 mm f/3.5G-5.6G ED VR"

I also have
AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED"

and what I think is the default lens cause I don't have a box for it, the lens says Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:2.5-5.6G"

I obviously know what the numbers mean but I have no idea what the letters mean.

Help, I am confused. Sorry for :words:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

AF-S means autofocus with built-in motor. (There's also AF and AF-D meaning the lens requires the camera body to have a motor, D5100 doesn't have that and treats those lenses as manual focus.)

DX means made for crop sensor cameras. (Nikon calls their crop sensors DX and fullframe FX.)

G means the lens does not have a manual aperture control ring. (Only relevant for film cameras, and only older models. The last film models like the F100 and probably F5 and F6 can use G lenses fully.)

ED is something about the coating.

When you're having focus trouble, is it in dark or indoor situations, or even outside in daylight?

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 28, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Try reading the manual, for one. Half of your problems are just not knowing how to press the right buttons. You can download it from Nikon if you don't have the paper copy.

You can turn off the focus assist light and tell it to release even if it doesn't have focus lock. Autofocus in video sucks on anything other than a few specific cameras, none of which are made by Nikon. The lenses you have aren't gonna be great at focusing in low light with that camera regardless.

And why didn't you just get another Canon? Can you return it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"powderific" posted:

And why didn't you just get another Canon? Can you return it?

She did say it was free...

Thin Privilege, start by switching to the wider angle lens, the 18-55. That's gonna be your everyday indoors cat photos lens. Put the camera into sports mode for photos where you want a quick shot of a possibly moving animal with no dicking around. Turn on more lights for better performance in all respects. Read the manual and start memorizing the controls and getting familiar with the settings. For video, zoom all the way out, dont move the camera around much, and focus before you start recording... also strongly consider manual focusing when shooting video.

Switching from Canon (film and snapshot digital, not dslr, but still) was a process of initial disorientation and frustration for me, too. But after a month or two I was doing fine, and you will too. Although like me you may never reach the point of memorizing Nikon's ridiculously complicated menu of lens type acronyms and which are right for which cameras, vs. canon's "basically every lens works" approach since the 1970s.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As it's a second hand unit, the first thing you should do is do a complete reset of the settings. Ie it could be set to back button focus or similar, and it's always going to be easier to start at factory defaults than try work out how someone else has it rigged for themselves.

Usually there's two buttons you hold down, or an option in the menu.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

She did say it was free...

Wups, missed that. Saw she posted in the other thread and is looking to buy a new body. Were I her, I'd think about just selling all the Nikon stuff and getting a new Canon body since that's what's familiar and either way she's gonna be selling some gear.

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004
I'm stuck deciding on what to upgrade to from my D7000. I'm back and forth between the D500 and D750. My DX glass investment is pretty limited (Nikon 35mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50, and Nikon 70-300mm VR), so I'm open to moving up to full frame. Both models are the same price currently ($1800), but the 500 seems to be the high end cropped sensor and the 750 the low end full sensor. My main uses are portraits and landscape, which pushes me towards the 750, but with my kids getting to be more active it would be nice to have the 500's abilities for action shots. I even come back around to the D7200 for a smaller upgrade at half the cost and maybe waiting to upgrade to full frame when/if a D760 or 820 comes out. Anyone with time with both units have any input?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Cyborganizer posted:

I'm stuck deciding on what to upgrade to from my D7000. I'm back and forth between the D500 and D750. My DX glass investment is pretty limited (Nikon 35mm 1.8, Tamron 17-50, and Nikon 70-300mm VR), so I'm open to moving up to full frame. Both models are the same price currently ($1800), but the 500 seems to be the high end cropped sensor and the 750 the low end full sensor. My main uses are portraits and landscape, which pushes me towards the 750, but with my kids getting to be more active it would be nice to have the 500's abilities for action shots. I even come back around to the D7200 for a smaller upgrade at half the cost and maybe waiting to upgrade to full frame when/if a D760 or 820 comes out. Anyone with time with both units have any input?

The D750 is a solid camera, I have used it now for a few months and love every single thing about it. It has been fast enough to track running dogs, etc.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The D750 still has a great sensor but it doesn't sound like you have any specific reason for upgrading to full frame, while you do have reasons to want the D500, namely it's spectacular autofocus and high frame rates. And replacing the glass you listed still isn't exactly cheap.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What's the best FX comparison to the D500?

Looking at specs, I'm either missing something (likely) or they've updated the DX high end more recently than the FX, and it has some features (AF, buffer, etc) that the FX line doesn't have, which ... doesn't seem super likely.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Krakkles posted:

What's the best FX comparison to the D500?

Looking at specs, I'm either missing something (likely) or they've updated the DX high end more recently than the FX, and it has some features (AF, buffer, etc) that the FX line doesn't have, which ... doesn't seem super likely.
Doesn't the D500 use the same autofocus system as the D5?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kenshin posted:

Doesn't the D500 use the same autofocus system as the D5?
Yep! That's what I was missing. Thank you :)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nothing in the FF line comes close on its strengths: af speed, buffer, framerate. I mean, other than the D5 obviously. The full frame bodies just get you the benefits of the bigger sensor.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Give us the D700 upgrade, Nikon :argh:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

powderific posted:

Nothing in the FF line comes close on its strengths: af speed, buffer, framerate. I mean, other than the D5 obviously. The full frame bodies just get you the benefits of the bigger sensor.
So ... I'm kind of at a crossroads, and I don't know what to do.

I use a D7000 right now, but want to upgrade. Going to FF would be terrific, but AF speed, buffer are definitely more important to me. I see lowlight sensitivity as a positive, so I think that's a tick in the direction of FF, but I don't know that it's enough.

I have a fair amount of DX glass, so if I went FX, the plan would be to use it in crop mode with most of my lenses (I think I have one that's FX compatible), and upgrade glass if/when it becomes necessary or financially possible.

Obviously I'm not spending $6-7k on a D5, so I can't solve the conundrum that way. I would prefer to spend about what the D500 costs, which would put me in the D750, but I could justify the D810 as well.

I'd appreciate thoughts and advice :)

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Krakkles posted:

So ... I'm kind of at a crossroads, and I don't know what to do.

I use a D7000 right now, but want to upgrade. Going to FF would be terrific, but AF speed, buffer are definitely more important to me. I see lowlight sensitivity as a positive, so I think that's a tick in the direction of FF, but I don't know that it's enough.

I have a fair amount of DX glass, so if I went FX, the plan would be to use it in crop mode with most of my lenses (I think I have one that's FX compatible), and upgrade glass if/when it becomes necessary or financially possible.

Obviously I'm not spending $6-7k on a D5, so I can't solve the conundrum that way. I would prefer to spend about what the D500 costs, which would put me in the D750, but I could justify the D810 as well.

I'd appreciate thoughts and advice :)

What do you take photos of? If you do any sports/wildlife, I have to imagine the D500 would be best for you. If it's more landscapes/studio work, then the D810. I would not see it as a necessity to upgrade to FX unless you can specifically think of why you want FX over DX. The D500 will already give you a huge boost to your low light capability compared to the D7000.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ShadeofBlue posted:

What do you take photos of? If you do any sports/wildlife, I have to imagine the D500 would be best for you. If it's more landscapes/studio work, then the D810. I would not see it as a necessity to upgrade to FX unless you can specifically think of why you want FX over DX. The D500 will already give you a huge boost to your low light capability compared to the D7000.
19 month old child, so very similar.

I like landscapes and studio work but it's rare by far compared to parties, babies, and random low light snaps.

Thanks - that helps.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 16, 2017

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since you already have DX glass I'd just get the D500. The giant buffer and 10fps will feel magical and you'll be able to use your existing lenses.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

19 month old child, so very similar.
You'll have enough poo poo to carry to want back if you go FX. I almost never carry my D800 anymore, kid's too fast, glass is too heavy, AF is not as good as a sports-oriented body.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

You'll have enough poo poo to carry to want back if you go FX. I almost never carry my D800 anymore, kid's too fast, glass is too heavy, AF is not as good as a sports-oriented body.
Exactly the kind of thing I needed to hear - my wife and I looked at each other and said "That's the answer."

Thank you.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I'm sending my camera in for service and have a dumb question: do I put the body cap on it when I send it in? It says no accessories, but not having it on there seems strange.

Edit: Should I remove the strap too?

borkencode fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 17, 2017

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

borkencode posted:

I'm sending my camera in for service and have a dumb question: do I put the body cap on it when I send it in? It says no accessories, but not having it on there seems strange.

Edit: Should I remove the strap too?
Definitely put the body cap on, definitely remove the strap.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Definitely put the body cap on, definitely remove the strap.

Thanks, not knowing what I was doing was what made me put off sending my D600 in for the shutter fix for so long. But I've got a vacation at the end of next month and I'd like to not have spots on all my photos.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So ... I think I have a dumb question. When I got my D7000, I recall noticing that images taken in M were grainier than images taken in Auto, regardless of ISO setting.

Is there a reason that would happen? Was it applying noise reduction? Everything I can find says that it doesn't apply NR when shooting RAW, which I always do.

More to the point: now that my D500 doesn't have the auto mode, how do I reduce graininess? Images shot at ISO 100 even seem grainier than I would expect.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Krakkles posted:

So ... I think I have a dumb question. When I got my D7000, I recall noticing that images taken in M were grainier than images taken in Auto, regardless of ISO setting.

Is there a reason that would happen? Was it applying noise reduction? Everything I can find says that it doesn't apply NR when shooting RAW, which I always do.

More to the point: now that my D500 doesn't have the auto mode, how do I reduce graininess? Images shot at ISO 100 even seem grainier than I would expect.

IIRC the auto ISO could only be turned off in the menu on the d7k. So even in manual mode it would still push ISO if you were underexposed. They may still do that on the d500.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

red19fire posted:

IIRC the auto ISO could only be turned off in the menu on the d7k. So even in manual mode it would still push ISO if you were underexposed. They may still do that on the d500.
Wouldn't the EXIF show that, though?

The D500 does have a setting for it, I'll review and review the manual just in case. The images show the ISO that I thought I was shooting at in EXIF, at least - and same on the D7k.

Thank you!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Check the built in Noise Reduction settings. Could be that they are applying to auto pictures but not manual.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

NR settings apply to both, they're a post-process setting.

Shoot examples of both and post them here, my bet is on pebkac.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

NR settings apply to both, they're a post-process setting.

Shoot examples of both and post them here, my bet is on pebkac.
Joke's on you, I only use this standing up!

In all honesty, totally possible. I don't have the D7k anymore, so I can't do the Auto vs Manual, but I can keep an eye on it from the D500.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Hey y'all. I'm looking to get an external flash for my D3300. What's the best I can get under 100 quid? It'll primarily be used for outdoor and event photography.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

While we're at it, I'd like a better/faster flash for my D500. I've got an SB600 now, what should I move to?

Recharging quickly is a huge plus to me, not making that god drat capacitor whine would be cool also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Time to change the title from D400 to DLs...