Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pretty sure as the old rMBP was booted into Target Disk Mode and the new machine hadn't even been linked to a WiFi network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
If you open MA on both ends it'll make a peer-to-peer wireless connection no matter what you try to do. Since you're doing target disk mode that obviously won't happen so I can't say what's going on. (When we tried target disk mode between two 2016s via usbc/thunderbolt, it just wanted to charge one computer from the other, lol.)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Pretty sure as the old rMBP was booted into Target Disk Mode and the new machine hadn't even been linked to a WiFi network.

IMO you should do a throughput experiment on the TDM'd Mac with 'dd' or something like that after the migration is done. TDM might not be as fast as you'd expect or hope. I would give good odds on all the data flowing through a software translation layer implemented in the UEFI firmware environment, which isn't necessarily optimized for speed.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I just got a call from my dad that he deleted all his emails thinking he was real smart since 'they were still in the cloud' but I guess he'd been pulling them all down locally. As I understand it he deleted them all through mail.app and then emptied the recycle bin.

What's my best bet for recovery software? I'm okay paying for it.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

ephori posted:

I just got a call from my dad that he deleted all his emails thinking he was real smart since 'they were still in the cloud' but I guess he'd been pulling them all down locally. As I understand it he deleted them all through mail.app and then emptied the recycle bin.

Can't help you with recovery software, but tell him to stop using that computer and turn it off immediately.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ephori posted:

Dunno how e-mails are stored, but File Scavenger has saved my bacon a bunch over the years. He obviously needs to start by stopping with any writes the the disk for now, so have him turn off the HDD. Maybe you're better off accessing it externally rather than through his own computer.

I haven't used FS in like 10 years, but it worked great when I checked it out.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

After this, get your dad a crashplan subscription.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Anyone else having trouble authenticating with Google Accounts? My Google Apps account for work is fine, but I can't seem to login to my personal gmail. Tried deleting and re-adding it, same result. I put in my password, then the 2FA code, then it hangs here forever

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

ephori posted:

I don't suppose he has Time Machine set up? If you activate Time Machine with the menu bar icon while Mail.app has focus, it will offer to restore backed up email messages to a new mailbox.

I once managed to lose all of the messages in my iCloud account, and learned of this little trick from an Apple phone tech.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Are there any mac music players that can do some or all of these things that foobar2000 does:
  • Support for a wide variety of formats. Bonus: user's can supply decoders for formats that aren't supported out of the box
  • Able to batch rename files using tag data w/ user defined patterns
  • Decent tagging capabilities (e.g. define custom fields, specify/change the id3 version)
  • Mass tagging capabilities (e.g. populate tags via filename based on user defined pattern, edit tags for multiple files at the same time). Bonus: populate tags from an online DB
  • Convert formats using user defined encoder/settings (e.g. convert FLAC to mp3 using LAME, FLAC to WAV/AIF etc)
Don't really care so much about the interface customization features.

Also, if there isn't something like this doesn't exist, are there 2 apps that can accomplish everything (e.g. a music player with support for a wide variety of formats and a tag/rename program that can handle everything else)?

e: missed 1 feature

Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 16, 2017

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Splinter posted:

Are there any mac music players that can do some or all of these things that foobar2000 does:
  • Support for a wide variety of formats. Bonus: user's can supply decoders for formats that aren't supported out of the box
  • Decent tagging capabilities (e.g. define custom fields, specify/change the id3 version)
  • Mass tagging capabilities (e.g. populate tags via filename based on user defined pattern, edit tags for multiple files at the same time). Bonus: populate tags from an online DB
  • Convert formats using user defined encoder/settings (e.g. convert FLAC to mp3 using LAME, FLAC to WAV/AIF etc)

Also, if there isn't something like this doesn't exist, are there 2 apps that can accomplish everything (e.g. a music player with support for a wide variety of formats and a tag/rename program that can handle everything else)?

I'm not sure if it will do everything you listed, but Swinsian is a pretty great music player / library manager that may meet your needs:

http://swinsian.com/

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Splinter posted:

As an ex-foobar user, I'm quite happy with QuodLibet. It can do all of this except the converting files thing. For that I normally just use FFMPEG.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Those both look good. I'll give 'em a try. Thanks.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks everybody for the recovery tips! The best part is I set my dad up with an external drive for Time Machine but he didn't keep it connected after the initial sync... a year ago.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Is MS Office incapable of copying half the time for anyone else?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Ratjaculation posted:

Is MS Office incapable of copying half the time for anyone else?

No? I've not noticed that issue with the latest version (2016?). What version are you using?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Dick Nipples posted:

No? I've not noticed that issue with the latest version (2016?). What version are you using?

2016 I've got through work. I'll copy something in Word or Outlook, the 'Edit' on the top bar will do its little flash but when I go to paste it nothing appears, or worse still something weird I was posting on SA from before gets pasted in.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I followed the instructions I found here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/25032863 to set up a script that I can execute using SSH to turn on target display mode on an iMac and it works fine in testing but it doesn't seem to work unless a physical keyboard is plugged into the iMac when the script is run.

Obviously this kind of defeats the purpose of having a script to turn on TDM, since I have no use for the iMac any more and want to use it strictly as a display and not have an extra keyboard at my desk. Am I missing something here? Is there some kind of fake software keyboard that I can load that will let this script execute? I've even tried running it locally with the OSX built-in soft keyboard and it doesn't work.

Sorry if this is an easy answer, I'm new to supporting Macs and would really like to impress people at my internship by making this work. I can share the scripts I'm using, but considering everything works fine with a keyboard plugged in, I'm pretty sure that this is the root cause.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Macs are weird. Get a fake keyboard USB dongle.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

duct tape the keyboard to the back of the iMac's display

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Virtual keyboard through something like Controllermate might work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

This is exactly what I would do. But with hot glue and double sided tape.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Last Chance posted:

It's tempting - sadly I discovered this quirk two days after an ecylcer came and got rid of all our old keyboards with dead keys. They would have been perfect for this project.

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 18, 2017

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I was looking at some of the 'host your own private cloud/Dropbox clone stuff' like Nextcloud (just as something to play around with, not anything I desperately need to do), but it looks like most of them offer Mac clients but don't support hosting it on a Mac. Does anybody have a recommendation for something like that using a Mac server for it?

Edit: I should have specified that I have a machine running MacOS Sierra with Apple's Server.app on it in case that matters for what the options are.

CaptainCaveman fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 20, 2017

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Don't use Server.app, it's been dead for years and the installation/deployment scripts will probably never work and running ancient Server.app services on your home pc sounds like a good way to get pwned. A Linux VM or container is much easier - people already made Vagrant and Docker configs and you can be up and running with a couple commands.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I just almost bought server last night. What is a secure way to access media from my Mac on my iOS devices away from home while the home Mac is running a vpn? Plex is messing up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Well they update it for OS revisions so the front-end will keep running (last update for macOS server is Sept 30, 2016). But unlike macOS, you have pay $20 for the server tools every time a new OS is released. I don't believe it really installs much and it's just a front end for a bunch a stuff that's already present and not enabled in the OS. However, the front-end really hasn't changed much and it's poo poo. If you *really* have to have your Mac run as a server, use something like Homebrew to install what you need.

If you're at a point where you need something to run services on your network/Internet, you're better off doing as emoji says above.

rear end Catchcum posted:

I just almost bought server last night. What is a secure way to access media from my Mac on my iOS devices away from home while the home Mac is running a vpn? Plex is messing up.

If you want to go the low effort route, get a pfSense SG-1000 Netgate and have it act as a VPN concentrator and connect via L2TP client baked into iOS. It is about $150, but will probably be the easiest secure way to get to your internal network with the least amount of effort.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 20, 2017

smax
Nov 9, 2009

flosofl posted:

But unlike macOS, you have pay $20 for the server tools every time a new OS is released.

I don't think this is true, I've has OSX Server since about 2013 and have never had to re-purchase it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smax posted:

I don't think this is true, I've has OSX Server since about 2013 and have never had to re-purchase it.

Yeah, when I first looked it showed the price. Now it just says "install". So nvm on that point.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

flosofl posted:

Well they update it for OS revisions so the front-end will keep running (last update for macOS server is Sept 30, 2016). But unlike macOS, you have pay $20 for the server tools every time a new OS is released. I don't believe it really installs much and it's just a front end for a bunch a stuff that's already present and not enabled in the OS. However, the front-end really hasn't changed much and it's poo poo. If you *really* have to have your Mac run as a server, use something like Homebrew to install what you need.

If you're at a point where you need something to run services on your network/Internet, you're better off doing as emoji says above.

If you want to go the low effort route, get a pfSense SG-1000 Netgate and have it act as a VPN concentrator and connect via L2TP client baked into iOS. It is about $150, but will probably be the easiest secure way to get to your internal network with the least amount of effort.

What would this do?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

What would this do?

the pfSense? You set up a VPN service and then when you're not at home, you connect back to the VPN. This will give you access to your any services on your home LAN. You can also set it up so all your Internet traffic uses your home Internet connection. For instance, if you're at a Starbucks and you connect to their public WiFi, you can connect to your VPN in the pfSense so that ALL Internet traffic from your phone goes over the VPN and then out your home Internet. This way all the network communication in the Starbucks is encrypted. You can also use it over your mobile LTE/3G connection if you want (but you may not want to if you have a limited data plan).

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What If I already pay for a vpn tho?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

emoji posted:

Don't use Server.app, it's been dead for years and the installation/deployment scripts will probably never work and running ancient Server.app services on your home pc sounds like a good way to get pwned. A Linux VM or container is much easier - people already made Vagrant and Docker configs and you can be up and running with a couple commands.

Huh. I mostly just run Server.app for web server and VPN. I'm looking at the Docker stuff now, thanks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You no longer have to? Or you can if you have data caps on your home Internet or need to use exit nodes in other countries.

But really, if you want to make your home network resources available to remote devices, it's better to have the remote devices VPN back home than to punch a hole out to the Internet from your home network. To have services available via the Internet can be difficult to do right if you want to make sure you're secure.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I am blanking and can't remember how to make a simple Automator workflow. Any help?

Anytime .epubs enter a specified folder I want them to be moved to an other specified folder.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I am blanking and can't remember how to make a simple Automator workflow. Any help?

Anytime .epubs enter a specified folder I want them to be moved to an other specified folder.

In Automator:
• New Workflow -> Folder action.
• In the Choose Folder drop-down, pick the folder you want to attach the workflow to.
• Drag in the Library > Files & Folders > Filter Finder Items action into the workflow.
• Set the rules to Any, File Extension, epub
• Drag in the Library > Files & Folders > Move Finder Items action into the workflow.
• Pick a destination; choose whether you want overwrites or not.
• Save using some sensible name.

Done.
To further manipulate your folder actions, ctrl-click the folder in Finder, select Services -> Folder Actions Setup…

smax
Nov 9, 2009

It's a VPN for a different purpose. I'm pretty sure the VPN you pay for is for privacy/security/streaming purposes; hosting a VPN server at your home would be for remote access to your LAN.

VPNing into your home would do little for privacy/security/streaming since the traffic would look like it's coming from your house rather than your actual location.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smax posted:

It's a VPN for a different purpose. I'm pretty sure the VPN you pay for is for privacy/security/streaming purposes; hosting a VPN server at your home would be for remote access to your LAN.

VPNing into your home would do little for privacy/security/streaming since the traffic would look like it's coming from your house rather than your actual location.

Yeah, but I presumably already have my home connection reasonably secured. My concern at that point is a)making sure I'm encrypted over the public WiFi part of the connection and b)access to my Home LAN network services without having to punch additional holes in my firewall or complicating my setup with a DMZ.

Currently, I have a VPN provider. It's less about "privacy" or hiding what I'm streaming and more about making sure I'm not sending clear packets over some schlubs public wifi connection. However, I'm going to be setting up a VPN on my pfSense box and ditching the provider since I have a decent enough upload speed for VPN to make sense for any streaming I want to do (like PS Vue over VPN so I can still stream the local channels on the go).

I imagine if you're using it to avoid detection for :filez: or streaming from a pirated feed, that wouldn't work very well. (no judgement, just not my personal use case)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Is there a way to bind a mouse button to show Mission Control with the Spaces visible? I hate having to paw at the top of the screen to have them show. Actually, ideally I'd like a mouse button / modifier to switch spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I use logitech's software to accomplish this (so I can make it application specific since I bound it to my middle mouse button, but use the actual middle mouse button for games & stuff like Blender).

But if you want a button to just be mission control & can be done right here:

e: Oh I just realized that you also mean having the spaces immediately visible at the top too. Hmm...