Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

O brave new world,. That has such people in 't!
William Shakespeare, The Tempest

After centuries of growth, the nations of the continent are struggling with overpopulation, shortage of resources and the proliferation strange new ideas. For a long time, they live in a relatively safe land, where all the monsters and villains are kept in check by the Heroes. Still there are many who dream of the lives their ancestors had - Great quests, noble deeds and new lands to explore and a break from the structures of modern society.

The Heroes are a breed apart - powerful mages, demigods and others who are able to channel power from beyond. Every generation sees but a few of these, but each one makes their mark on the world in a way that, even if forgotten, changes the way of life for all around them.

Then the news spread across the scryers have found traces of new lands across the Endless Sea! They cannot give much information, but it seems that there is a second continent out there, one that no ship has ever found. The Endless Sea’s very name is brought into question.

Already, the five great nations have built mighty ships designed to cross what was thought to be an vast and empty sea. They have recruited their greatest heroes as explorers, and are setting out to discover this new land, and assess it for colonization. They are backed by benefactors, the rich and the powerful from all corners of the land, whose power and influence could mean the difference between success and failure.

Welcome to A Brave New World - a CYOA set in a new world, stealing a lot of ideas from Dog Kisser’s Fragile gods of somewhere CYOA. Instead of gods we shall follow nations and heroes as they explore a new continent - players in the first round will be Heroes who represent nations, but after that, they will be free to influence any group they choose.

This will be a fantasy world, but nothing beyond that is defined, go crazy and we will see how this evolves over time. Between each age, we will have a short CYOA to flesh out the world a bit more.

Power level wise, this is going to be a bit lower than the fragile gods COYA, as each player will exist in the world as a person - but heroes are exceptional beings, and an action each turn should still be an incredibly powerful thing. With heroes being able to call upon wizards and gods, anything should be possible. Until you roll a 1.

While I don’t have Dog Kissers art skills, I do have some talent with Photoshop, so will be providing some (relatively) nice maps for you to ponder over. That and stealing from google. We should be fine - maybe I should get my drawing tablet out as well and finally get learn to use it! We’ll see!

To begin with, the five great nations of the old world have sent an explorer “ship” (who am I to limit you) east to search for the new world, these ships are going to find a new continent.
In some ways, you will have the most lasting effect on the world, as you will be defining the major features of our world, but settlement will be left for the second age. To begin with, things will be a little constrained, but once we start actually settling the new world, things will get more free form.

The first age will lase 4 phases, in each phase, the explorers will search a square of land - with five nations, this will lead to a good amount of land to explore, and we can push in further inland later on.

quote:

As in Dog Kisser’s lp, each god Hero will have 3HP, and for each action will roll a d20 +/- support from the benefactors. A natural 1 is a the opposite of what the player was trying to accomplish and a 2hp loss, a 2-10 is a 1 hp loss and a 20 is a critical success and +1 to a heroic stat at the end of the round!
Heroes who survive an age will assign an array of stats to their characters before handing them over to me to control - they will also find a magic item/site of some form!

Benefactors are the people who are not playing the heroes this age. They represent rich merchants, powerful magicians and wily politicians back home, all putting pressure on the major player for this age.
Each phase, they can choose to either add one to a single dice roll, subtract one or abstain (they cannot stop the hp loss/reversal of a natural 1, but can mitigate/expand the reversal effects.) For every roll boosted, they gain one influence and can add 1 to their roll to become a hero in the next round. The reason for the abstention is to allow people to increase their influence score without feeling like they need to affect a dice roll, but don’t want to lose the participation bonus to the roll for the next age. There may well be other opportunities to use influence as well.

The major players will be decided by a roll on orokus - roll a d100 with the game “Brave New World” and description “1st age” post the result in here. The highest five results become our explorers!

Joining in!

In your post, state the nation you represent, its major race (Be creative, or not, I’m just you GM, not your boss), and one resource the nation desires above all else. Also describe the flag of your nation. (Everyone knows you can’t go exploring without a proper flag!)

Next up, name your Hero - in this age, he is an explorer, but in later ages, he can be whatever you want - heroes who survive the age will remain in play as NPC’s, and may well affect later ages and turn up in the CYOA segments.

Once this is done, and we have our five nations and explorers, we will move on to the first phase and see what our explorers can find!
Good luck explorers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Oh boy! I have no idea what to app, but I feel like I should!

1d100 = 76
Not awful, but not good enough, I suspect! We shall see!

edit: Welp!

Nation: Vesivoda, Nation of the Deeps
Major Race: The Voda, a sub-race of one of the other races with clear cold water aquatic adaptations, though they remain amphibious.
Desired Resource: Metals and exotic building material
Flag: Two blue semi-circles with black outlines on a white field with black outlines. The semi-circles are formed from a circle that's been bisected diagonally from one corner of the flag to another.
Hero Name: Akull the Dreadful

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 16, 2017

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1d100=10

In the extremely unlikely case this is sufficient to get in, I'll post my guy later.

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 16, 2017

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Hero Application

Nation: Brassuria, the nation of Fire and Forges
Major race: The Bronzeurs, humanoids with metallic pigments in their skin.
National resource: Precious Metals
Flag: Two red horizontal stripes border an orange field, where a yellow 8-pointed sun sits at center
Hero Name: Copperhead the Boastful
1st Age - Creation of the Brassurian Nation: 1d100 47

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I rolled a 3. I'm not going to bother linking to it. It was a 3.

Good luck to everyone else though!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
1st Age: 1d100 16

Welp

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
1st age: 58

*Produces grimy knife*

Come on you basement dwellers I'll fight you for this spot!

Nation: The Nomadic Goblin Flock
Major race: The Goblin, obviously.

National resource: Salt.
Flag: A diagonally bisected flag of White and Blue, with the seven-spoked wheel of progress at it's center.
Hero Name: Slowjax Breakrox

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 16, 2017

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I guess succeeding twice in a row would be a bit greedy

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Actually third highest right now, so here's hoping!

Scrree fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 16, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

28 welp

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Ooh neat!

1st age Hero roll: 4

:negative:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Oh jeez I'm in the lead

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dog Kisser posted:

Oh jeez I'm in the lead

Is that the shoe on the other foot? Could it be that you get to make someone else deal with insane demands?

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Dang

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
My official roll for the campaing:

But my first role was... 99, but I haven't put the right parameters. What a waste.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

1st age: 1d100 33

:sigh:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let the dice fall where they may... 91!

Nation: The Grand Imperium
Major Race: Aviars, large winged humanoids with a tendency towards arrogance.
Desired Resource: Exotic seeds and similar luxury foodstuffs.
Flag: Two stylized golden wings superimposed over a bicolor consisting of two equal sized horizontal stripes, cerulean blue over dark red.

Hero name: Quirinius the Bold.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

1st Age: 1d100 71 :getin:

Nation: The Freehold Union
Race: Anurans. Brightly colored, sprightly, cheerful frog-people!
Desired Resource: Fine textiles, or the materials to make them!
Flag: A central white starburst, which divides the flag into seven pie-slices, each a color of the rainbow.
Hero: Rabble Rimwards

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
1st Age 31 :(

Oh well will follow this and see how it goes!

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Bon voyage

http://orokos.com/roll/486724: 1d100 14

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Grey Hunter posted:

Is that the shoe on the other foot? Could it be that you get to make someone else deal with insane demands?

Perhaps so, but I won't count my chickens before they hatch! Edited my post with my people.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://orokos.com/roll/486731 - 66

Nation: Texan Rattlesnakes
Race: Rasslers - Loincloth-wearing, bald, burly brawlers
Desired Resource: Alcoholic beverages
Flag: A skull with a rattlesnake coiling through the mouth and eye sockets
Hero: Stephen "Rocky McFrost" Austen

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 16, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Another time, I guess.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
1st age: 1d100 = 63

Not enough to be a Hero, so a benefactor I shall be.

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

Lets see if I can get ridiculous high rolls for joining this one too!

Oh.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Hero Application

Nation: Yonder Tiny Piratefolk of Arrgh
Major race: Lilliputian golden skinned Imps
Desired resource: New Vices
Flag: A golden flag with a black skull biting a brick of platinum
Hero Name: Chizzif the Irate
1st Age : 1d100 34

:( Maybe next time tiny pirates.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 16, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Roll: 95

Nation: Queendom of Felyn
Major race: Dark Elf
They have the long ears and long life of their forest kin, but darker skin and eat mostly meat. They are secretive and avoid outside contact.
Desired Resource: Diamonds
Flag: A black square with a black wax pattern of interweaving lines
Explorer: Yan

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
1st Age: 1d100 97

Nation: Halidom of Zylem
Major Race: The Sapients, tiny but very intelligent tree people. Please handle fire with caution!
Desired Resource: Delicious soil and bountiful waters!
Flag: Green background with white streaks from the middle coming out in a stylized tree pattern.
Explorer: Devotree Yggdra

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 16, 2017

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I was interested but then I saw Arkanomen's participating, so I'm skipping this one.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Aaand I've been bumped out :negative:
edit: maybe?

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 16, 2017

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Abyssal Squid posted:

I was interested but then I saw Arkanomen's participating, so I'm skipping this one.

Wow, rude.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Nation: The Vendref Confederation, a confederation of a variety of minor tribes from across the northern edges of the Old world.
Major race: Whilst a coalition of various races from the Frozen North the most populous are the Jakai. Purple skinned and be tentacled priests who serve as both the primary labour force or priestly caste

Desired Resource: Obsidian
Flag: A circle on a white background in red, green and black.
Explorer: Torkaris Many-Brothers a Priestly caste Jakai.

http://orokos.com/roll/486785 -roll 78

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 16, 2017

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Pretty sure I'm out now from all these rolls!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dog Kisser posted:

Aaand I've been bumped out :negative:
edit: maybe?

I think your still in DK

Green Intern posted:

Pretty sure I'm out now from all these rolls!

Sorry Green intern, but hey would your frog people like to be part of the confederation?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The Imperium is also happy to have subject species beneath its benevolent span.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Everyone knows that Orokos hates me over in the Fragile God thread, so let's see if that continues...

1st Age: 1d100 75

I don't think that's quite high enough, but if it is I'll come up with something!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Current standings

The Fire Magi 97
Added Space 95
AJ_Impy 91
Josef bugman 78
Dog Kisser 76

I will have it known that Dark Elves never eat the meat of sapient species. This scurrilous rumor should not prevent any lesser race from volunteering as oarmen on our grand vessel.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

C'mon, I gotta get in sometime...

1st Age: 1d100 66

drat.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The pastryfolk, lead by their Pie Lords, through which the Filling of great Heroes flows through their crust, begin to set out from their corner of the world. To new adventures and new lands!

....unfortunately, they are still working on how, precisely, ships work.

http://orokos.com/roll/487066

1d100=31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm going to start writing up the first post for the first age now - apps are not closed, but I doubt the top three will be knocked off any time soon. Dog Kisser is still the one to beat!

I'm liking what I've got so far.

• Locked thread