Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

TheQuietWilds posted:

Both.

RaDra+DKali/DKali/DAthena/RSusano

i'd love to except no DKali and no Susano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Munkaboo posted:

Is the only way to skill red Sonia now with Pi? Looks like she's no longer in the rotation.

New rotation should be soon

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

AlexJade posted:

Thinking more on this I have 800k mp, RaDra or Dark Athena? I have everything for a solid DA team.
I'd go DAthena then, if you have a team ready to go for her. RaDra will still be there when you get his subs.

Zeta
Jul 29, 2009

KWEOOOOOO
Pillbug
Despite the risk of starting a major slapfight, I must invoke...

:siren:TIER CHAT:siren:

So, the tier list is out of date, and has been for awhile. I'm wondering if I should bother updating it anymore (it's literally just me at this point). I think it is still useful for new players, and is still one of the first google results for "puzzle and dragons starter list". But if people think it's not needed anymore, then I won't bother. This is a good time to decide, since someone will likely be starting a new thread soon.

If people think it's still useful, I can make some updates to it, probably next week. I can add some stuff - Balboa, Baldin, Fujin, Dentalion(?) - move a few things around and whatnot.

Anyway, please post your opinions and I will ignore them take them into account.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Someone suggested at some point that with the amount of viable leaders it'd almost be easier to list what not to take then trying to list all the now viable starters. I'd suggest explaining what makes a good starting leader.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I literally just came to this thread to see if the starting list was up-to-date, since I'd like to play soon.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Still think the best advice is to get beefy goon friends to carry you regardless of what you pull first unless you just have to have a top tier lead at rank 1

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've played enough gacha games to know I never again want to experience the pain of hearing something I'm struggling with is easy (if you re-rolled for a specific set of drops).

Zeta
Jul 29, 2009

KWEOOOOOO
Pillbug

Baron Snow posted:

Someone suggested at some point that with the amount of viable leaders it'd almost be easier to list what not to take then trying to list all the now viable starters. I'd suggest explaining what makes a good starting leader.

A good starting leading is, ideally, something that has a good balance of power and ease-of-use (savant leader are exempt from the second part). It's also best if the leader continues to be viable for a fair amount of the game, whether as a leader or as a sub.

UHD posted:

Still think the best advice is to get beefy goon friends to carry you regardless of what you pull first unless you just have to have a top tier lead at rank 1

Getting help in the beginning of the game is good advice, and I can add a part about multiplayer at the top of the list. But I still think it's good to have a leader that can work in solo play - I just hate to think of some poor newbie starting with Kopis or Fenrir or something.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I've played enough gacha games to know I never again want to experience the pain of hearing something I'm struggling with is easy (if you re-rolled for a specific set of drops).

Anything in the current version of the list is still good and can carry you really far. The main change that needs to be made is that there are more leaders that can be added.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

I'd say just copy whatever setsupad or mantastic has;it would be easier than to start another debate.

If you want something that doesn't requiring linking off-site, I'd say break it down by every pantheon/GFE. A new player can just ctrl-f whatever they roll.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Zeta posted:

Getting help in the beginning of the game is good advice, and I can add a part about multiplayer at the top of the list. But I still think it's good to have a leader that can work in solo play - I just hate to think of some poor newbie starting with Kopis or Fenrir or something.

I wasn't even talking about multiplayer, just goon helpers in general.

I mean yeah if you can get a good starter that's ideal but rerolling sucks and should be avoided whenever possible.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
The starter list is "any GFE that doesn't have the word 'jammer' in leader skill or active skill, any 3K, Heroes, Chinese or Indian 2. Persephone, Artemis, Isis also great. Egypt 2, Samurai or Constellations are passable. Reroll Ninjas & Weapons always. Reroll garbage tier or sub-only pantheons if you aren't irritated or tired of rerolling, or if you're an unrepentant min-max sperg."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Reroll until ChikoDemono

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Zeta posted:

A good starting leading is, ideally, something that has a good balance of power and ease-of-use (savant leader are exempt from the second part). It's also best if the leader continues to be viable for a fair amount of the game, whether as a leader or as a sub.

Other good points are the ease of evolution to be a good leader, and that it hopefully has a play style that can teach useful skills to the player in the early game.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I started with Ronove the other day and I don't know what I'm doing or who should be on my team. I've played up to the Temple of Artemis normal dungeon or something. I haven't died yet but it's starting to get slow and things take a big part of my health when I get hit.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zeta posted:

So, the tier list is out of date, and has been for awhile. I'm wondering if I should bother updating it anymore (it's literally just me at this point). I think it is still useful for new players, and is still one of the first google results for "puzzle and dragons starter list". But if people think it's not needed anymore, then I won't bother. This is a good time to decide, since someone will likely be starting a new thread soon.

If people think it's still useful, I can make some updates to it, probably next week. I can add some stuff - Balboa, Baldin, Fujin, Dentalion(?) - move a few things around and whatnot.

Anyway, please post your opinions and I will ignore them take them into account.

I don't think anything stands out above Liu Bei and he's not really good for solo play which is still necessary to get through all the normals.

If you really want to analyze what makes a particular starter lead good or bad it would have to be ease of play with no fingers and how strict the sub pool is which mostly points to Krishna and Balboa (and norns and dragonbounds, to a lesser extent) at the top although I think Kundali is massively underrated for a starter.

Beyond that any lead with a reasonable rcv multiplier and like at least 16x is probably fine.

pankus
Jul 30, 2003

Stagger_Lee posted:

I started with Ronove the other day and I don't know what I'm doing or who should be on my team. I've played up to the Temple of Artemis normal dungeon or something. I haven't died yet but it's starting to get slow and things take a big part of my health when I get hit.

You should have a heart cross up after the first turn or so, and since you're in the normals there shouldn't be any preemptives and it will carry over. From that point on you can just make 4 color matches to sweep every floor. What's your team?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I dunno if we really need much of one, I'll be honest. Specifically, I don't know if we need anything beyond a list which says, "Anything on here works fine."

The very best leaders in the game right now are farmable or buyable, including RaDra, D.Athena, and Myr.

So, as far as I can see, any leader who can get you to the point where you can get one of those top-tier dragons and/or waifus (and their crazy evo mats) - in coop or out of it - is honestly about as good as any other. The real driver of REM rolls nowadays isn't in the leads; it's a hunt for an ideal set of subs. Those REM subs aren't always good leaders, and I don't think we should be advising newbies to roll until they get DKali or whatever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if it's gonna be there at all, it should be good and useful for new players tho

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

UHD posted:

What exactly were your expecting from the Verdandi buff

I was mainly wanting a stat buff and some kind of rcv multiplier, but apparently she did get the former.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

TheQuietWilds posted:

The starter list is "any GFE that doesn't have the word 'jammer' in leader skill or active skill, any 3K, Heroes, Chinese or Indian 2. Persephone, Artemis, Isis also great. Egypt 2, Samurai or Constellations are passable. Reroll Ninjas & Weapons always. Reroll garbage tier or sub-only pantheons if you aren't irritated or tired of rerolling, or if you're an unrepentant min-max sperg."

Isis is anything but "great" nowadays. Ganesha's a hard starter. Most Samurai are better than non-Krishna Indians 2 as starters. Egypt 2 is pretty atrocious and I wouldn't call it 'passable'. Sun Quan is a difficult starter of 3K, I'd say. There's quite a few GFEs that aren't just JAMMER META that make bad starters - Sherias, Lkali, Sitri, and so on. Chinese is pretty close to a "sub-only" pantheon, especially Sakuya, but they're so trivial to activate and make such good subs that it's basically an exception. I still wouldn't recommend anyone start Sakuya even though she's one of the best bindclearing subs in the game.

Besides that TQW basically has the right of it.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 23, 2017

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Beat level 10 of the challenge set with Acala after a few tries. First I tried with Aizen, before realizing that hitting the two crosses required to deal enough damage AND hit 8 combos probably wasn't going to happen. So instead I used 3 with Acala :v:

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Isis is anything but "great" nowadays. Ganesha's a hard starter. Most Samurai are better than non-Krishna Indians 2 as starters. Egypt 2 is pretty atrocious and I wouldn't call it 'passable'. Sun Quan is a difficult starter of 3K, I'd say. There's quite a few GFEs that aren't just JAMMER META that make bad starters - Sherias, Lkali, Sitri, and so on. Chinese is pretty close to a "sub-only" pantheon, especially Sakuya, but they're so trivial to activate and make such good subs that it's basically an exception. I still wouldn't recommend anyone start Sakuya even though she's one of the best bindclearing subs in the game.

Besides that TQW basically has the right of it.

As someone coming back TWQs post is great info, though if you're intending to post it for new players to reference making it a bit less heavy with acronyms and PAD-speak might make it easier to parse.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

2 SPOOKY, I'll PM you the device change code in a couple of hours.

Zeta posted:

Baron Snow posted:

I like this. Post a list of stuff to NOT keep.

I also think encouraging new players to post what leader they rolled and telling us how they intend to play would help them. If they want to get carried in MP, then pretty much anything is good. If they want to play more alone then they might want to be more selective.

Zeta
Jul 29, 2009

KWEOOOOOO
Pillbug
A list of stuff not to keep sounds kind of unhelpful for new players. Not to mention, there's still a lot of crap in the REM that would make a terrible starter - Greek 1, Japanese 1, (some of) Japanese 2, Archangels, Archdemons, Angels 2, Constellations 2, Weapons, Wizards, Slime Knights, Ninjas, Riders, anything from PAD Z. And then there's stuff that's good eventually, but very difficult for a new player to use, like Ra, Kalis, Ilm, Okuni, etc. It might turn out to be a longer list than the stuff you should keep. And I have to actually post the names of each monster, since newbies don't know anything about pantheons.

Going through and reviewing every pantheon is a lot of work and, again, it's just me doing this. Maybe if it is just one or two sentences about each monster, then I could do that for each pantheon. But then you start getting into which leads pair well with each starter and it turns into a whole paragraph for each one (which is what is in there now). I'd like a format that is easy to maintain, but still gives people some guidance. And I'm hesitant to rely on an outside guide, since you never know when those are going to get deleted or become outdated. Plus other people might have bad opinions.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Linnaeus posted:

I was mainly wanting a stat buff and some kind of rcv multiplier, but apparently she did get the former.

Sorry, only 6* GFE and other similarly rare or expensive monsters get defensive boosts. That's the law.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

pankus posted:

You should have a heart cross up after the first turn or so, and since you're in the normals there shouldn't be any preemptives and it will carry over. From that point on you can just make 4 color matches to sweep every floor. What's your team?

Not sure what the game even means by a heart cross or how I'd "get one up" that fast - or what getting one up does. So maybe I'm just not seeing obvious interface stuff?

I do sweep floors with 4-color matches but mostly I make two color matches and hope things cascade.

Phantom Keeper, Samurai Goblin, White Fighter, Water Sprite Sharulu.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Stagger_Lee posted:

Not sure what the game even means by a heart cross or how I'd "get one up" that fast - or what getting one up does. So maybe I'm just not seeing obvious interface stuff?

I do sweep floors with 4-color matches but mostly I make two color matches and hope things cascade.

like a + shape with five heart orbs. so a regular match of three going horizontally and vertically at the same time. if you use more than five orbs, it won't count as a cross

what you want for subs are things that can make hearts so you can reset the cross whenever you need to. just make sure you're covering every color to make qualifying for the damage multiplier easier, since matching a color only counts if you can actually use it

e: what the cross does is give you a x4 damage multiplier and reduces damage you take 30%. leader skills are multiplicative, not additive, for damage so having your own ronove leader and a friend ronove leader will give you x16 damage just for setting up the cross. keep in mind that you keep the multiplier up if you sweep the floor, but you have to reset the cross if you either can't beat the floor on the turn you set one up or the enemies have a preemptive skill

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 23, 2017

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Heart Cross is five hearts matched in a + shape. It MUST be exactly five hearts (there's a lot of memes about loving it up by accidentally making a jesus cross instead) and you will see a visual effect when you do it correctly

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Stagger_Lee posted:

Heart cross is a + made out of five hearts. Don't extend any of the arms of the cross, or you'll be smote by the power of Jesus (actually it just won't activate the cross bonus)

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Been running Arena today because I have nothing better to do and ran A3 with my Revo Minerva Cheese Team.

I got the last Radar Dragon needed to complete the set. :)

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Stagger_Lee posted:

Ronove doesn't do anything unless you make a heart cross and combine it with a few combos. A heart cross means you have to maneuver the tiles so there are exactly 5 hearts in a cross shape. A combo is what they call "color matches" in your language.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

I dunno if we really need much of one, I'll be honest. Specifically, I don't know if we need anything beyond a list which says, "Anything on here works fine."

Yeah, I'd ditch the tier concept and group the viable starters by play style. Include suggestions for friends to take and a brief explanation of how they function.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Oh. I see it, and I see that I'm supposed to drag a heart through some hearts until they're the right shape. I wasn't playing right at all. Thanks.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Baron Snow posted:

Yeah, I'd ditch the tier concept and group the viable starters by play style. Include suggestions for friends to take and a brief explanation of how they function.

This was attempted in the past and did not work

Stagger_Lee posted:

Oh. I see it, and I see that I'm supposed to drag a heart through some hearts until they're the right shape. I wasn't playing right at all. Thanks.

When you're puzzle skills get gooder you can do it without having to start with the heart

pankus
Jul 30, 2003

Stagger_Lee posted:

I'm not sure if any of your monsters are awoken, but it can be hard to make the heart cross and color matches without any time extend awakenings. You could pair with a Myr instead of Ronove for the extra seconds from her leader skill. Not sure when quests become unlocked but you could work on the intermediate quests for the time extend badge.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

2 SPOOKY posted:

Done, thanks.

Device change code sent.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kuros posted:

Been running Arena today because I have nothing better to do and ran A3 with my Revo Minerva Cheese Team.

I got the last Radar Dragon needed to complete the set. :)

I'm like 0/4 on Hephdra dropping.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Zoness posted:

I'm like 0/4 on Hephdra dropping.

drat, sorry to hear that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I didn't realize there was an SA thread for this game, started playing in early January. Rolling a Rodin/Yamato/Elgenubi/Thuban/Baldin team, Myr/Kanna/Paimon/NY Hanzo/Lemon Dragon (or Sherias Roots) team, and I'm sort of putting together Balboa/Skuld and Ronove teams, though that stuff is mostly unleveled/unawoken.

This is more or less up to date, https://www.padherder.com/user/read/monsters/

Any thoughts on where I should focus? I think probably Myr, but I'm not 100%. Right now I'm gathering materials for her last evo. Thinking about farming a 2nd Elia to use as a sub, Sherias Roots seems pretty meh - mostly using him for stats.

• Locked thread