Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FISHMANPET posted:

My wife and I are planning a vacation for our 5 year anniversary at the end of this year. Leaving from MSP, flying to LGA, Amtrak from New York Penn to Montreal, then YUL to MSP. I know Newark would be easier to make the connection to Penn Station, but I want LaGuardia for dat view. I figured this would cost me an arm and a leg, but I put it into Matrix and I could get tickets with stops each way (On American) for $404, or two non-stop flights (on Delta) for $440. It was pretty much the same price for any dates leaving the last week of December and coming back the first week of January. So even though it's 10 months out that's probably not going to go down any is it? The fact that it's the same fair for pretty much any date is telling me that's their minimum fare, short of any kind of sales. And considering the weird route I'm probably not going to be able to take advantage of any sales. So, sanity check I guess?

This far out and with as much lift as you'll see into NYC, I wouldn't book. Seeing the same fare until the end of the schedule in no way indicates that it is the base fare for the market or is even common for the market; it is simply what is loaded right now. You've got time, I bet you can score a couple one-ways that are cheaper than the current OJ ticket you have priced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

Is it good enough that it would be worth going through an extra customs clearance each way? If so, I might have to fly ANZ just to do it.

yes. Their business class on the new planes is pretty on par with a lot of other legacy carriers, but those premium seats that go to LA are hands down the best I've ever been on.

Plus you get to be on the Smaug plane.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 23, 2017

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

FISHMANPET posted:

My wife and I are planning a vacation for our 5 year anniversary at the end of this year. Leaving from MSP, flying to LGA, Amtrak from New York Penn to Montreal, then YUL to MSP. I know Newark would be easier to make the connection to Penn Station, but I want LaGuardia for dat view. I figured this would cost me an arm and a leg, but I put it into Matrix and I could get tickets with stops each way (On American) for $404, or two non-stop flights (on Delta) for $440. It was pretty much the same price for any dates leaving the last week of December and coming back the first week of January. So even though it's 10 months out that's probably not going to go down any is it? The fact that it's the same fair for pretty much any date is telling me that's their minimum fare, short of any kind of sales. And considering the weird route I'm probably not going to be able to take advantage of any sales. So, sanity check I guess?

95% of fliers book within 3 months of travel, and this is even more so for short-haul flights.

You will also save substantially more money if you fly into Montreal, but out of New York than vice-versa, because of Canadian airport taxes. If you are able to switch your itinerary around, you'd save over $100 between the two of you.

The other thing is that the customs/immigration on the ground is always much worse than airports due to the riskier profiles of travelers. Flying into Montreal will be much more pleasant than taking the Amtrak for Canadian customs. While this notion also applies to your return trip to the US, assuming you are US citizens, you should not receive nearly as much hassle from US CBP returning home.

Flying into LGA there is not much of a view from certain approaches, especially coming from the west or the north, it may bypass Manhattan completely. Don't book a ticket to an airport expecting a view. Hell, it could even be cloudy that day.

Also consider using miles for the trip: since the distance from MSP-NYC is 1015 miles, it will only cost 7500 BA Avios points (transferable from multiple credit card programs) to book on AA, because it falls slightly under the 1050 mile threshold for award redemptions under that distance. Using miles for MSP-YUL won't be as nice of a sweet spot though, since only DL flies that route and their award pricing is going to be much higher.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 23, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh Christ I didn't even see the part about taking the train across the border.

Any time you feel like that could be a good idea, go to the nearest door and slam your dick in it repeatedly for an accurate simulation of how terrible the experience will be.

2 loving HOURS each way waiting for customs on that route -- above and beyond the fact that every train in North America other than the Acela is a slow-moving hunk of garbage that should be pushed off a loving cliff -- and, remember, it's not about how long it takes to process you, because the train doesn't move until everyone clears customs.

If you don't want to fly, at least rent a car and drive. Or take literally any method of transportation that isn't a train.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

PT6A posted:

Oh Christ I didn't even see the part about taking the train across the border.

Any time you feel like that could be a good idea, go to the nearest door and slam your dick in it repeatedly for an accurate simulation of how terrible the experience will be.

2 loving HOURS each way waiting for customs on that route -- above and beyond the fact that every train in North America other than the Acela is a slow-moving hunk of garbage that should be pushed off a loving cliff -- and, remember, it's not about how long it takes to process you, because the train doesn't move until everyone clears customs.

If you don't want to fly, at least rent a car and drive. Or take literally any method of transportation that isn't a train.

This was in my head the entire time I was reading your post:

That said, I wouldn't take the train either.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 24, 2017

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mackieman posted:

This was in my head the entire time I was reading your post:

That said, I wouldn't take the train either.

lol. He's definitely not wrong though. Crossing the border via train is hell.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Our honeymoon involved taking Amtrak from Minneapolis to Portland to Seattle to Vancouver (and then back to Seattle to fly back because that was way cheaper and faster) so for our five year anniversary we're doing a similar thing but on the other side of the country.

So we know the train is not a fast way to go, we're not doing it to save time. We've already done the stop at the border, haul out your poo poo, and load it back up again, we're not taking the train for customs reasons.

Poked around some more, all 3 NYC airports are about the same price, but my wife likes to fly in the morning and LGA has the morning flights. But I would enjoy taking the train from EWR to Penn Station so that's up in the air I guess. I also looked at doing it backwards, flying into Montreal and out of NYC. It is cheaper in theory, but the non-stop flight from NYC to MSP is way more expensive.

I don't have any miles and quite frankly the whole concept makes my head spin so I'm not even going to think about that. Also if I book AA to NYC and Delta from Montreal it costs more, presumably because I'm getting charged more for 1 way tickets. AA doesn't do non-stop like you say and if I'm going to live at a hub airport then dammit I'm gonna take advantage of it.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Starting to plan a 4 week trip from Seattle to London in August for our anniversary. Have been talking about it for awhile but finally said gently caress it we are doing it.

Anyways kinda waffling about the flight. Looking at:
1) Nonstop from Sea to Heathrow both legs on British Airways. Plane is a 777 both ways.
2) Virgin Atlantic: 1 stop in Las Vegas for 1.5 hrs, then non stop to Gatwick on 747. Flight back is nonstop from Heathrow on a 787

Both are peasant class seats hovering around $8-900 a person. I have a mileage plan on Delta/Virgin but not enough to do anything with.

Does anyone have any opinions/experience with either?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've always really enjoyed my flights with BA, and I hate connections so I'd probably lean that way, but I hear good things about Virgin Atlantic too.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I am leaning Virgin simply because I have always wanted to fly on a 747. They have a small number of seats in the top bubble that are economy and would be great.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Meydey posted:

I am leaning Virgin simply because I have always wanted to fly on a 747. They have a small number of seats in the top bubble that are economy and would be great.

The seating dimensions look the same for both of them, so I'd go Virgin in that case assuming everything is basically the same price.

747s are indeed cool as gently caress, and anyone who disagrees can fight me.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

PT6A posted:

The seating dimensions look the same for both of them, so I'd go Virgin in that case assuming everything is basically the same price.

747 upper deck is the tits. Given they're fast retiring from passenger service, now is the time if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I'm sold then. Going Virgin Atlantic.
Now I just have to wait because I got suckered in by the Delta Gold Skymiles card offer. 30k miles, $100 bill credit, double miles with the card.
Got approved instantly but was not able to get the number.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm looking to book a flight from Winnipeg to Fukuoka for a six week trip in May, so I've been tracking a couple flights using Google while I get my extended time off approved and my benefits coverage sorted out. This morning I woke up to find all of my flights have gone from ~$950 CAD to ~$1800, which is a kick in the balls. I've never traveled or booked flights before, so is this just a side effect of the month changing and I should keep waiting, or am I SOL and prices are only gonna get more expensive? I'm planning on leaving the week after Golden Week (So any day from May 7-13), and will be taking a return flight from Tokyo to Winnipeg five-six weeks afterwards.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm looking to book a flight from Winnipeg to Fukuoka for a six week trip in May, so I've been tracking a couple flights using Google while I get my extended time off approved and my benefits coverage sorted out. This morning I woke up to find all of my flights have gone from ~$950 CAD to ~$1800, which is a kick in the balls. I've never traveled or booked flights before, so is this just a side effect of the month changing and I should keep waiting, or am I SOL and prices are only gonna get more expensive? I'm planning on leaving the week after Golden Week (So any day from May 7-13), and will be taking a return flight from Tokyo to Winnipeg five-six weeks afterwards.

Continue to watch it closely; my guess is that it will come back down a bit.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you fly on ANA or JAL you can expect around ¥10,000 ($100) domestic connection to Fukuoka.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Looks like you were right, I just needed to wait a couple days for it to go back down to normal. Just got my flight booked. Thanks, folks!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm flying to Bodø (BOO) ideally landing early on the 15th of July (Saturday) and leaving the 19th (Wednesday). I will either be leaving from Frankfurt (ideally) or Munich. My final destination is the Lofoten islands so EVE is also an option to fly into but these seem more expensive. A while back the prices weren't so bad, about 200-250 euro each way. I was looking today again and now the Saturday flights with reasonable layovers are running closer to 400, making the total round trip price around 600-700 euro. This is peak tourist season pretty much so my hotel stay from the 15th to 19th probably can't be changed at this point.

I'm thinking it might be cheaper to fly in on the 14th and stay in a different hotel since the flights seem about half the saturday prices - unless there is reason to believe that the weekend rates might go down in the near future. Does this really happen or should I just expect them to keep going up? I'm torn between just booking now and potentially missing out on a better deal and waiting and risk having to pay even more.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 5, 2017

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm flying to Bodø (BOO) ideally landing early on the 15th of July (Saturday) and leaving the 19th (Wednesday). I will either be leaving from Frankfurt (ideally) or Munich. My final destination is the Lofoten islands so EVE is also an option to fly into but these seem more expensive. A while back the prices weren't so bad, about 200-250 euro each way. I was looking today again and now the Saturday flights with reasonable layovers are running closer to 400, making the total round trip price around 600-700 euro. This is peak tourist season pretty much so my hotel stay from the 15th to 19th probably can't be changed at this point.

I'm thinking it might be cheaper to fly in on the 14th and stay in a different hotel since the flights seem about half the saturday prices - unless there is reason to believe that the weekend rates might go down in the near future. Does this really happen or should I just expect them to keep going up? I'm torn between just booking now and potentially missing out on a better deal and waiting and risk having to pay even more.

You've still got plenty of time before July; watch closely and much like Coxswain Balls' situation, my guess is it will come back down. Also if you prefer FRA but are willing to go to MUC, also look at STR, DUS, CGN, and even BRU.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

PT6A posted:

Got my tickets for Aug 28-Sep 23 on Virgin.
Ended up nonstop on 787 both ways out of SEA to LON. $742 rt/person.
The 747 option had a 2 hour layover in LAS and would have taken 4 more hours. Prob gonna regret the 3-3-3 config in cattle class but I'll survive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Meydey posted:

Got my tickets for Aug 28-Sep 23 on Virgin.
Ended up nonstop on 787 both ways out of SEA to LON. $742 rt/person.
The 747 option had a 2 hour layover in LAS and would have taken 4 more hours. Prob gonna regret the 3-3-3 config in cattle class but I'll survive.

Did you get advance seat selection? 3-3-3 is fine if you're traveling with someone else, any two seats in the middle column are fine, you don't have to worry about a stranger crawling over you or crawling over a stranger.

Edit: also great if you're travelling alone, because all you need to do is find a middle column seat with the two beside it taken, and you'll have an aisle seat with very low chances of being bothered. Or you can isolate a middle seat and gamble that the flight won't be full and no one will select it.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 5, 2017

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

PT6A posted:

Did you get advance seat selection? 3-3-3 is fine if you're traveling with someone else, any two seats in the middle column are fine, you don't have to worry about a stranger crawling over you or crawling over a stranger.

Edit: also great if you're travelling alone, because all you need to do is find a middle column seat with the two beside it taken, and you'll have an aisle seat with very low chances of being bothered. Or you can isolate a middle seat and gamble that the flight won't be full and no one will select it.

Flying with my wife. No pre-seat because I'm a cheapskate, but I did sign up for Red status so I can select a seat 72 hours in advance. Was going to aim for middle towards the back. I would love it if the flight was not packed and we got a 3-seat row together.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I just found an itinerary with flights on a 787, A380, 777 and 747, for like $900. :D Too bad you have to spend a week in Doha.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mackieman posted:

You've still got plenty of time before July; watch closely and much like Coxswain Balls' situation, my guess is it will come back down. Also if you prefer FRA but are willing to go to MUC, also look at STR, DUS, CGN, and even BRU.

I noticed if I book the FRA-OSL and OSL-BOO flights separately rather than as one single ticket it's only ~375. Does doing that pose any problem? I assume not since the second flight is in the same country, right? Only downside is a slightly long layover in Oslo (~5 hours) but it seems like an OK airport to be stuck in for a while.

e: I only have a US passport/Germany resident permit if it's relevant.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 5, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Meydey posted:

Flying with my wife. No pre-seat because I'm a cheapskate, but I did sign up for Red status so I can select a seat 72 hours in advance. Was going to aim for middle towards the back. I would love it if the flight was not packed and we got a 3-seat row together.

If there's an empty row of three, book the two outside seats. At worst, someone will be assigned to the middle seat, and it will be easy as poo poo to convince them to move to not-a-middle-seat so you can sit together.

ohgodwhat posted:

I just found an itinerary with flights on a 787, A380, 777 and 747, for like $900. :D Too bad you have to spend a week in Doha.

The A380 is a terminally unhandsome aircraft, I would not like to fly on it unless I had to :v:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's quiet as gently caress tho.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

PT6A posted:

If there's an empty row of three, book the two outside seats. At worst, someone will be assigned to the middle seat, and it will be easy as poo poo to convince them to move to not-a-middle-seat so you can sit together.

Thanks, I'll remember that. Now to commence fighting with my wife over the itinerary once we get there.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Are there cheaper flights available if you fly to Oslo (or someone else in Norway) and then to Bodo on a separate ticket?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Are there cheaper flights available if you fly to Oslo (or someone else in Norway) and then to Bodo on a separate ticket?

Yeah, I've found if I book things separately with different airlines it is much cheaper (looks to be aorund 450 USD total) than doing the whole thing together. Just have to be mindful of connection times (and re-check-in times when I am switching tickets). I am just waiting for confirmation from friends and I will be locking in a really good price.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Yeah, I've found if I book things separately with different airlines it is much cheaper (looks to be aorund 450 USD total) than doing the whole thing together. Just have to be mindful of connection times (and re-check-in times when I am switching tickets). I am just waiting for confirmation from friends and I will be locking in a really good price.

You're fine doing that, but I would look into lounge options with five hours to kill.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, Oslo airport is way too small and really busy and definitely would not be my favourite place to be stuck on a long layover in, definitely look at lounge options.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

HookShot posted:

Yeah, Oslo airport is way too small and really busy and definitely would not be my favourite place to be stuck on a long layover in, definitely look at lounge options.

I just kind of assumed it would be similar to the Zurich airport being such a rich city, but I guess it's not so great. Anyway I think we found a better (and even cheaper) option with Norwegian Air with more reasonable layovers by shifting some things around. I always worry when I see the words "budget airline" in terms of how bad the seats are going to be but I guess the flights are short enough that it shouldn't matter a whole lot.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

HookShot posted:

A new "wing" opened early this year, I think it almost doubled the capacity. It's not that crowded any more.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

I just kind of assumed it would be similar to the Zurich airport being such a rich city, but I guess it's not so great. Anyway I think we found a better (and even cheaper) option with Norwegian Air with more reasonable layovers by shifting some things around. I always worry when I see the words "budget airline" in terms of how bad the seats are going to be but I guess the flights are short enough that it shouldn't matter a whole lot.

DY beats many legacy airlines like SAS when it comes to comfort. Free WiFi on the planes too, as well as seat selection (though only at the airport, it's not free online).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Geriatric Pirate posted:

A new "wing" opened early this year, I think it almost doubled the capacity. It's not that crowded any more.

Oh, that's good, I was there in October and it was definitely not a pleasant experience. Definitely not the worst, either, but I was pretty glad my layover was only about 90 minutes.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone ever heard of this site: https://www.nextvacay.com/ It says they send you emails on crazy deals from whatever airports are near you. I'm suspect because Google doesn't show much about them but I like the idea of just seeing where there are cheap tickets to because there are all different types of places I would visit and this might be a nice way to take a trip to somewhere I never thought about before.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
That website throws off so many scam sirens it's not even funny.

If it does anything at all, which it might, it probably just goes through SkyScanner on a weekly basis and then emails you the cheapest flights from [your input city] to [destinations].

If you want a real site, use secretflying.com , which lists error fares and sales.

E: I guess if you're super lazy it could be worth $25/year to have flight details emailed to you?? I guess "scam" is too hard of a word. I should have said "rip-off" since it just doing something you can do in 30 seconds on flights.google.com.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 17, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hipmunk sends me weekly DEALS FROM SFO!!! for free.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Saladman posted:

That website throws off so many scam sirens it's not even funny.

If it does anything at all, which it might, it probably just goes through SkyScanner on a weekly basis and then emails you the cheapest flights from [your input city] to [destinations].

If you want a real site, use secretflying.com , which lists error fares and sales.

E: I guess if you're super lazy it could be worth $25/year to have flight details emailed to you?? I guess "scam" is too hard of a word. I should have said "rip-off" since it just doing something you can do in 30 seconds on flights.google.com.

Secertflying.com is what I want, just I want the deals for my local airport sent to me in real time. Seems like there would be some site that does that for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

dalstrs posted:

Secertflying.com is what I want, just I want the deals for my local airport sent to me in real time. Seems like there would be some site that does that for free.

They do daily-ish digests that you can get for [your input region], but unfortunately yeah [your input region] is [entire drat continent] and not [local city area].

Oddly they have a reasonably-precise one for "UK/Ireland" but all of their other search spaces are massive. Maybe email them and ask? I would be massively surprised if the one you mentioned above lists error fares and sales. Most likely it just runs SkyScanner for your airport to select locations and emails that. Which, hey, maybe is worth $25 a year.