Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

FaustianQ posted:

Why not an ARM solution? Or is legacy code holding them back? God NASA needs an actual loving budget.

Because the 486 can survive radiation in space and space programmers like to base things around clockrate like old dos games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Hits turbo button on space shuttle

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

My understanding was that the rad hardened processors of choice have usually not been 386 or 486 but rather POWER based architectures, stuff like the RAD6000 and RAD750.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Truga posted:

It's this. This isn't even a time constraint on certifying things. A random gamma ray (and there are a lot in space) hitting the big 386 chip doesn't really have much chances of displacing something important. A high energy neutron hitting something in your modern <30nm arch is going to wreck it hard. 386 and 486 are perfect for that use, just due to the sheer size of each element.

My uncle used to work at NASA and one of his jobs was to take laptops up to Indiana University in Bloomington and put them in the particle accelerator to see how long they'd last (answer: not long).

He never did get me into the sims but he did give me his Silver Snoopy award a couple years ago.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rastor posted:

My understanding was that the rad hardened processors of choice have usually not been 386 or 486 but rather POWER based architectures, stuff like the RAD6000 and RAD750.

You see those more often on unmanned craft, like space probes or rovers. For instance, all the Mars rovers that currently active are based on radiation hardened POWER CPUs.

There's actually a paper from NASA in 1991 going over the pros and cons of whether the Space Station Freedom (predeccesor project to the ISS, and which formed the basis for most of the modules that the US would put up for the ISS) design should use 386s or 486s: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19910016373.pdf

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

me: "There's no way AMD could cherry-pick settings to pad their Cinebench numbers, Cinebench doesn't have any settings!"

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/836967901399744513

The press/preview BIOS has a special profile tuned specifically for Cinebench :doh:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Deuce posted:

I want to see Ryzen benchmarks compared to the ISS's 486 processors.

AMD processors in space: 0
Intel processors in space: more than 0

fishmech posted:

And it's worth remembering that the laptops and such which they use for the research are just normal modern Thinkpads most of the time. They've got about 50 or so thinkpads across the station.

ARM solution for what? The air processing control and altitude stability controls etc already work, there's no point in replacing them. Perhaps when another module gets added onto the station they might use some ARM processors in the systems for that, but they will still need to be able to communicate with the rest of the station.

Even cooler the ISS has a cargo hold with thinkpads that's depressurized so if you need a new laptop you can go pick one up and don't have to wait on earth to send you a new one.

Also I hate ARM and the buzzword it's become. Yes it's in phones and everyone know it's a thing now and :cripes:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

repiv posted:

me: "There's no way AMD could cherry-pick settings to pad their Cinebench numbers, Cinebench doesn't have any settings!"

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/836967901399744513

The press/preview BIOS has a special profile tuned specifically for Cinebench :doh:

Wouldn't the numbers published by Intel have similar tweaks? If some technician changed all the BIOS settings by hand before running the bench, would that make it better? It is a little gauche, but I'd expect, for example, a PR benchmark of a database produced by the DB's creator to have been tweaked for max performance.

eames
May 9, 2009

wccf has a bunch of new leaked slides

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-architecture-slide-review-leak/

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

taqueso posted:

Wouldn't the numbers published by Intel have similar tweaks? If some technician changed all the BIOS settings by hand before running the bench, would that make it better? It is a little gauche, but I'd expect, for example, a PR benchmark of a database produced by the DB's creator to have been tweaked for max performance.

Yes, but it's in poor taste to get caught.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Boiled Water posted:

AMD processors in space: 0
Intel processors in space: more than 0

Even cooler the ISS has a cargo hold with thinkpads that's depressurized so if you need a new laptop you can go pick one up and don't have to wait on earth to send you a new one.

Also I hate ARM and the buzzword it's become. Yes it's in phones and everyone know it's a thing now and :cripes:

Ok ok but what if we used TriCore???

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They are, or were, working on a rad-hardened multi-core ARM processor. And the older Intel processors running spacecraft and satellites have mostly been supplanted by PowerPC chips. I don't think anyone cares what architecture these things use or what clock speed they run.

Anyway

When are we going to get some real Ryzen reviews?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Voyager I posted:

Yes, but it's in poor taste to get caught.

cinebunch.exe

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

FuturePastNow posted:

Tomorrow.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

NDA lifts 9am ET tomorrow.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The Space Shuttle ran on Intel 8086 chips lol. They event had to go to eBay to pick up some for the last few space shuttle launches I heard back in the day.

Also the New Horizons probe uses a modified Playstation 1 CPU.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

EdEddnEddy posted:

The Space Shuttle ran on Intel 8086 chips lol. They event had to go to eBay to pick up some for the last few space shuttle launches I heard back in the day.

Also the New Horizons probe uses a modified Playstation 1 CPU.

Nah, by the time eBay was around the space shuttles were being upgraded to 386-based systems, which they then retained for the rest of the time they were in operation.

Also New Horizons is only using a modified Playstation 1 CPU in the same way that the RAD750 in the latest Mars Rover is a modified GameCube CPU - New Horizons uses a modified MIPS R3000 core, just as the PlayStation uses a modification of the R3000 core, but they're entirely different modifications with little relation to each other. Notably, the variant used to create the processor in the New Horizons probe derives from refinements made for embedded use and adds very few instructions, while the PSX CPU had more radical changes.

Similarly, the CPU in the GameCube (and from that the Wii and Wii U) is derived from a modified PowerPC 750 (sold in macs as a "PowerPC G3" CPU) and so is the RAD750 on the latest mars rover. But the GameCube version of it adds a lot of instructions and subtracts a few, and derives from one revision of the series ultimately, while the RAD750 is derived from a different later revision with very few instuction changes, instead with the majority of effort spent on radiation hardeneing and improved processes so that it uses less power.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well it was a while ago, but I remember reading about It when it was news.* I could have sworn it was an Engadget article or something but alas, time has passed as has the SS.

*Whoever is the editor who allowed no proper capitalization should be shot.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well it was a while ago, but I remember reading about It when it was news.* I could have sworn it was an Engadget article or something but alas, time has passed as has the SS.

*Whoever is the editor who allowed no proper capitalization should be shot.

That's covering a different issue: NASA needed 8086s for on-the-ground equipment used to test various components of the shuttles and their rocket boosters between launches and in the stages leading up to launches. After all, they couldn't have used regular consumer or even most military 8086s in the space shuttle, as they wouldn't be properly radiation hardened. But the ground equipment could use any 8086 just fine.

The first shuttle to have the main computers upgraded from 8086 to 80386 was the Atlantis in 1997, and the remaining 4 shuttles had the 386s installed one shuttle at a time, and upgrading a single shuttle each year. The intention of that staggered schedule, which took until 2001, was that there would be an old system shuttle ready to fly at any time in case the 386s turned out to have issues.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

fishmech posted:

That's covering a different issue: NASA needed 8086s for on-the-ground equipment used to test various components of the shuttles and their rocket boosters between launches and in the stages leading up to launches. After all, they couldn't have used regular consumer or even most military 8086s in the space shuttle, as they wouldn't be properly radiation hardened. But the ground equipment could use any 8086 just fine.

The first shuttle to have the main computers upgraded from 8086 to 80386 was the Atlantis in 1997, and the remaining 4 shuttles had the 386s installed one shuttle at a time, and upgrading a single shuttle each year. The intention of that staggered schedule, which took until 2001, was that there would be an old system shuttle ready to fly at any time in case the 386s turned out to have issues.

Was that around the time they went to a more Glass cockpit as well? It's crazy some of the early pics of the SS cockpit vs the later stuff.

And as bad/crazy as the SS was for NASA, it did some amazing things and really was impressive even if always dangerous in one form or another.

The one thing I regret is never seeing a Space Shuttle launch in person.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I think that the SpaceX rocket and Dragon run on ARM. Not entirely sure though. We do know that they certainly don't use hardened processors for Dragon.

In other news....Kyle Bennet on an AMD event? WTF is happening? :stonkhat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVKDNeyfpAo&t=4965s

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Kyle is a lot handsomer than I thought he'd be :swoon:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

EdEddnEddy posted:

Was that around the time they went to a more Glass cockpit as well? It's crazy some of the early pics of the SS cockpit vs the later stuff.

And as bad/crazy as the SS was for NASA, it did some amazing things and really was impressive even if always dangerous in one form or another.

The one thing I regret is never seeing a Space Shuttle launch in person.

Yeah a major impetus behind moving to the 386 systems was that the extra processing power was needed to drive the "glass cockpit" sort of displays.

eames
May 9, 2009

did I miss the part where AMD announced a partnership with SpaceX to shoot a Ryzen CPU around the moon or where's all that space chat coming from? :v:

A full review by an a persian (iranian?) site is up here:

http://translate.google.com/transla...n&langpair=auto

:salt: Allegedly this is a 1700X sample with a prerelease BIOS stuck at 3.4 Ghz with 2133 Mhz RAM. No Turbo. :salt:

Here's a german guy trying to delid Ryzen CPUs, casually mentioning that he already killed two in the process. They're soldered by the way. It's also pretty interesting that it looks like the 8C/16T models have two separate dies closely next to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOZbK3tP7EU

eames fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 1, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Makes sense that a large 8core part is soldered, interesting finally seeing a configuration different from Xeon style square dies, too.

The two die thing matches up with those architecture slides, it looks like their goal was to build chips out of multiple 4 core packs, sort of like current GPUs and shader modules.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Its not 2 seperate dies I think. That looks like that due to how they laid down the metal TIM in 2 different pads side by side. Also MCM's are real expensive.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oh look, a new chip! Time for a whole sparkly new system.. with a 1080ti.
Ryzen and Vega bundles on launch would have been awesome. :shrek:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 1, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Voyager I posted:

it's in poor taste

"marketing"

Dante80 posted:

I think that the SpaceX rocket and Dragon run on ARM. Not entirely sure though. We do know that they certainly don't use hardened processors for Dragon.

Seems like a bad idea to trust software division on a guidance system but I guess I'm not a very good distruptor

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

eames posted:

did I miss the part where AMD announced a partnership with SpaceX to shoot a Ryzen CPU around the moon or where's all that space chat coming from? :v:

A full review by an a persian (iranian?) site is up here:

http://translate.google.com/transla...n&langpair=auto

:salt: Allegedly this is a 1700X sample with a prerelease BIOS stuck at 3.4 Ghz with 2133 Mhz RAM. No Turbo. :salt:

Here's a german guy trying to delid Ryzen CPUs, casually mentioning that he already killed two in the process. They're soldered by the way. It's also pretty interesting that it looks like the 8C/16T models have two separate dies closely next to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOZbK3tP7EU

Looks like you may want to change how you apply thermal paste if you normally do a grain of rice. This looks more like a job for a line across the middle.

(And you all thought I was kidding about wanting to see a delidded Ryzen chip so I knew how to properly be pasting it.)

Also, apparently the entire slide deck for tomorrow's release has been "leaked". RIP whoever "Leynar Khayrullin" is, if that's even a real person. (I bet it's not.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 1, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
My original concern about moving to something other than old 486/386 processors to something like ARM wasn't about performance but rather how much they could drive down the thermals. My understanding of x86 is it's really hard to push down into the milliwatt range, especially such old designs.

Interesting that they use POWER designs as well.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By7_TCzoyL9oejlBV1R0WVdKMkU/view

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

....still think AMD doing this is dumb.

It'll go into my spare parts drawer for when I need something to hold me over while waiting for parts to repair/replace my AIO cooler, and I'll never even think about it otherwise, but this just eats into margin, and I *still* think AMD is leaving money on the table.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Random numbers!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sounds like reviewers are going to be working late tonight

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/837026790526881797

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

repiv posted:

sounds like reviewers are going to be up late tonight

They found if you turn off the cheating bios mode it really changes the results.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FaustianQ posted:

My original concern about moving to something other than old 486/386 processors to something like ARM wasn't about performance but rather how much they could drive down the thermals. My understanding of x86 is it's really hard to push down into the milliwatt range, especially such old designs.

Interesting that they use POWER designs as well.

That's not really all that useful in these applications if it can't provide the appropriate performance, especially since radiation-hardening procedures can easily result in higher power draw as part of ensuring robustness. For perspective, the RAD750 hardened PowerPC chip draws up to 5 watts of power. Normal embedded versions of the PowerPC 750 it was based on drew around 4.5-4.9 watts while the original CPU drew 7 watts when first launched in 1997 (the RAD750 design variant came out in 2001).

There happen to be a few ARM based CPUs out there that are radiation hardened right now, but they tend to be pretty slow compared to existing radiation-hardened CPUs. RAD750s installed in functioning spacecraft run at up to 200 MHz at the moment, while most of the ARM Cortex based chips available from companies like Vorago are running at speeds like 50 MHz or 75 MHz, and with less usable computation power per cycle as well - albeit those chips do only use 0.25 - 0.5 watts at full load. (For what it's worth those ARM chips are comparable in performance to the modified 20 MHz 386s used for main system control in the ISS and space shuttle, but that's not considered suitable for new projects, particularly when image processing is needed)

NASA and the ESA are currently working on projects with industry to develop radiation-hardened ARM CPUs fast enough to replace existing CPUs in spacecraft/probes/rovers, but they do not expect the project to produce workable product until 2020 at the earliest, which means waiting until like 2025 for craft using those CPUs to actually get designed and launched.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

sounds like reviewers are going to be working late tonight

Reading between the lines, you need to test in a specific way to make AMD look good instead of just running benchmarks or programs like normal people. loving AMD.

eames
May 9, 2009

redeyes posted:

Reading between the lines, you need to test in a specific way to make AMD look good instead of just running benchmarks or programs like normal people. loving AMD.

It's a really dumb move, AMD clearly has (soon had) the whole enthusiast community, including reviewers, rooting for them as the underdog that may not deliver 100% of the gaming performance but at least tries to change the desktop CPU landscape for the better.

Now it increasingly looks like throwing it all away with BIOS "benchmark modes", strict last minute reviewing guides and whatever else. It's not like those additional few percent would have changed the buying decision of many people. The truth will come out either way.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
On the other hand, there are rumors about Ryzen having a poo poo-ton of errata for it, so they could just be pushing out bug fixes and not wanting to have the chips forever marred by bad benchmarks from the initial release getting listed in charts and compared to other stuff, regardless of what the reality of the situation is, which is something that's bitten them in the rear end before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
for the more casual followers of this sort of stuff, what does "errata" refer to in a CPU?

• Locked thread