Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Vintersorg posted:

I'll stick with my 1070.

me too, that 11GB of memory is triggering me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wacky Delly posted:

me too, that 11GB of memory is triggering me.

That is super weird, I mean I honestly would have been thrilled with 6GB. Was 11 really necessary? How did they arrive at that anyway...

Don Lapre posted:

Nvidia actually said the 1080ti is faster than titan xp out of the box.

Makes sense, same cores and clocked higher.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zero VGS posted:

That is super weird, I mean I honestly would have been thrilled with 6GB. Was 11 really necessary? How did they arrive at that anyway...

Its the way the memory bus works. They make the memory bus smaller by removing a memory stick.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

LegendaryFrog posted:

It seemed like such an obvious and beneficial strategy to release Ryzen and Vega simultaneously. I can't fathom how we ended up here, where Ryzen is almost certainly going to be driving Geforce sales.

Is there even a rough estimate of when Vega is coming out?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Is there even a rough estimate of when Vega is coming out?

May, maybe?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

SlayVus posted:

Too bad Nvidia couldn't like release a firmware for the XP to give it like Floating Point or some other new features to actually help justify the still $1200 price tag.

They don't really need to bother justifying the XP's existence. Some people will buy it because...well I don't know why, but they will. Other than that, it's already done its job of effectively subsidising the cost of developing the new node/arch.

Plus if you want to do FP NVidia wants you to pay for a Quattro or Tesla.

eames
May 9, 2009

Computex Taipei (30th May to 3rd June) is a good guess. They promised Q2 and don't seem to be in much of a hurry.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm looking to buy a 1080 if anybody in here is trying to sell one to upgrade.

Also, selling my 970 (4G Gaming, red)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zero VGS posted:

The full GP102 chip has 12 memory controllers, with 1g of ram hanging off each one, so they just chopped one off for the Ti vs the Titan. The full chip in Quadro form gets double the ram, for 24 gigs.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

1070 arrived and is now sitting on my desk at work.

Three hours before I can go home oh boy oh boy oh boy

e: So, Pascal overclocking is basically "crank voltage and power target to max, then bump the clocks up by 25 MHz until you fail a Time Spy then drop it back a notch and call it a day", right?

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 1, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kazinsal posted:

1070 arrived and is now sitting on my desk at work.

Three hours before I can go home oh boy oh boy oh boy

e: So, Pascal overclocking is basically "crank voltage and power target to max, then bump the clocks up by 25 MHz until you fail a Time Spy then drop it back a notch and call it a day", right?

Run a benchmark, see what it boosts too, do +whatever that number is to get to 2ghz, go up from there.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

And memory clocks are just, what, whack it up to 9 GHz and call it good? I remember the last time I did any OCing there was balancing of core and memory clocks involved.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

Any news of the leaked 980ti upgrade the program?

Almost forgot about that. I wonder if there is anything coming or not for this.. Hmm

I guess we will have to wait a week to see.

Also they are giving away 108 1080Ti's for those who use Geforce Experience 3.0, so if you haven't, you need to login and check the "send me Nvidia related stuff" checkbox to be entered.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

And memory clocks are just, what, whack it up to 9 GHz and call it good? I remember the last time I did any OCing there was balancing of core and memory clocks involved.

Find gpu clock first, then yea, do +500 on mem and see what happens.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

89 posted:

I'm looking to buy a 1080 if anybody in here is trying to sell one to upgrade.

Also, selling my 970 (4G Gaming, red)

Yeah I wasnt even looking for one but i just bought one locally for $400 lol. Ebay is going to be flooded soon. I bet I could get a better deal but im "helping" a friend

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Nvidia actually said the 1080ti is faster than titan xp out of the box.

Out of the box Titan XP boost clock is 1531MHz, out of the box 1080 Ti boost is like 1650/1680. Both will overclock to 2000+ on the core making them objectively the same. Out of the box is just misleading unknowledgeable consumers on performance characteristics of the cards in their totality.

Objectively, the 1080 Ti is definitely the better purchase.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh, one more dumb Pascal question. Is a new in box card going to have the most recent BIOS for something like the Micron memory kerfuffle?

e: Card get. It does. Yay!

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 2, 2017

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

How long will till EVGA puts out a 1080ti? As soon as it releases next week?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fat_Cow posted:

No one knows. For the original 10-series launch there was a noticeable delay, and then hilarious availability problems. Presumably that won't repeat, but who knows.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fat_Cow posted:

They've announced their full reference model as of today. Looking back through their news releases they tend to announce custom cooler versions either same day or within the first two weeks. Custom PCBs come a few months down the line, presumably after their sponsored overclockers have had time to put together a wish list.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

They didn't mention this in the presentation did they?

big if true
Pascal has changes to its scheduler (apparently like Kepler, more than one thread) that makes DX12 not a performance negative. The gain is like 3-5% but it's still something

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Pascal has changes to its scheduler (apparently like Kepler, more than one thread) that makes DX12 not a performance negative. The gain is like 3-5% but it's still something

I know Pascal is passable in DX12 right now, but they're promising some tangible performance gains using 𝓭𝓻𝓲𝓿𝓮𝓻 𝓶𝓪𝓰𝓲𝓬. Hopefully they'll actually deliver v:shobon:v

In other Nvidia news they just low-key ported their new GPU-based physics engine from CUDA to DirectCompute so all their fancy particle/fluid/cloth poo poo works on AMD cards now. In other other news, hell has frozen over.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

In other Nvidia news they just low-key ported their new GPU-based physics engine from CUDA to DirectCompute so all their fancy particle/fluid/cloth poo poo works on AMD cards now. In other other news, hell has frozen over.

Okay, you don't just make statements like that and not _link a drat source_.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

repiv posted:

Maybe they felt sorry for AMD after the Vega-is-actually-called-Vega-Who'd-a-Thunk-It?! performance.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Okay, you don't just make statements like that and not _link a drat source_.

http://physxinfo.com/news/12786/gdc-2017-nvidia-gameworks-goes-dx12-and-more

There's a nice demo app included in the SDK but you need an NV developer account to download it. I'll save you the trouble: https://mega.nz/#!SNRHULST!ql12MKEnWsu7M-9pRfkSJ5wCm-s_bOYaKBm7BTlTH0c

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

repiv posted:

I know Pascal is passable in DX12 right now, but they're promising some tangible performance gains using 𝓭𝓻𝓲𝓿𝓮𝓻 𝓶𝓪𝓰𝓲𝓬. Hopefully they'll actually deliver v:shobon:v

If you're going to kill someone, it costs nothing to be polite.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

Where'd you get the Zotac from? I bought a Zotac 1060 off Newegg and I had to go through a whole ordeal to get a return because Zotac doesnt allow returns, only exchanges.

I got the Zotac from NewEgg, but I didn't see anything about that, it said it had standard return policy before I bought it.

Plus, I'm a Vet so I got a free year of NewEgg Premier; when I initiated a return RMA, it accepted it automatically and made me a return shipping label with no human intervention.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

I got the Zotac from NewEgg, but I didn't see anything about that, it said it had standard return policy before I bought it.

Plus, I'm a Vet so I got a free year of NewEgg Premier; when I initiated a return RMA, it accepted it automatically and made me a return shipping label with no human intervention.

Orly? I have premiere too but figured since they changed nearly all the GPU's from Returns within 30 days to Replacement Only that I was SOL even with it.

Sooooo.... I may be able to "rent" one again for a little bit.... Hmm

Also remember you can share Premiere with 4 others and they get all the same benefits. I've done that for a few guys on here and other RL friends.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

Orly? I have premiere too but figured since they changed nearly all the GPU's from Returns within 30 days to Replacement Only that I was SOL even with it.

Sooooo.... I may be able to "rent" one again for a little bit.... Hmm

Also remember you can share Premiere with 4 others and they get all the same benefits. I've done that for a few guys on here and other RL friends.

I think the card returns might be dictated by how expensive they are and are dictated by NewEgg, actually. Like NewEgg does replacement only on more expensive Zotac 1080's, but you can see here they have normal 30-day for the mini since it is the cheapest Zotac 1080 SKU they carry: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500414

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
If I'm planning on throwing on a full waterblock is a non reference pcb going to increase OC headroom by a significant amount or is it just luck of the draw regarding binning.

e: for the 1080ti. I haven't bought a new GPU since kepler

eames
May 9, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

The board partners are still under NDA, launch date for custom cards is the 10th.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So I have a 100% trustworthy friend in the USA. If I get him to buy the card and send it over I will save $300ish dollars. I feel this is too easy and good to be true. Is my feeling correct?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

fuckpot posted:

So I have a 100% trustworthy friend in the USA. If I get him to buy the card and send it over I will save $300ish dollars. I feel this is too easy and good to be true. Is my feeling correct?

If you already believe your friend is 100% trustworthy, I'm not really sure what you're asking us to tell you?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Oh, I heard rumours of customs intercepting packages for tax evasion reasons and that sort of thing. Probably should have mentioned that's what I was worried about.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My usual defense is to declare it as a gift and include a card that says "Happy Birthday :)"

Whether you have to pay duties on that can be hit or miss.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

NewFatMike posted:

My usual defense is to declare it as a gift and include a card that says "Happy Birthday :)"

Whether you have to pay duties on that can be hit or miss.

If it's discovered then the person sending the item can be in trouble for misdeclaring items to bypass customs.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Scionix posted:

If I'm planning on throwing on a full waterblock is a non reference pcb going to increase OC headroom by a significant amount or is it just luck of the draw regarding binning.

e: for the 1080ti. I haven't bought a new GPU since kepler

You may meet or exceed a factory overclock with a vanilla card, but the vendor is guaranteeing a clock. They don't however make any promises about how much voltage it will need to get there.

Tbh overclocking GPUs is much more locked down nowadays. There really isn't much difference between most of the field. The exceptions are things like HoF and k1ngp1n super pricey models that usually come very late in the life of the GPU.

There are also a couple of other problems.
Waterblocks for random AIB cards don't necessarily exist. I know EKWB have said their Titan X 2016 block is suitable for reference 1080 Ti. It's a little too soon for news about waterblocks for any other designs.

Not all AIB vendors honour a warranty if you take off the cooler. Do your research beforehand. I've always chosen EVGA for this reason and they've been true to their word. I do think other vendors have improved in this regard in recent years.

I'm considering a 1080 Ti, have a custom loop and I'm also coming from kepler.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lungboy posted:

If it's discovered then the person sending the item can be in trouble for misdeclaring items to bypass customs.

Really? I had no idea. I mean when does a gift stop being a gift to customs? Anthrax, uranium, all that stuff I get but electronics are pretty common?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Really? I had no idea. I mean when does a gift stop being a gift to customs? Anthrax, uranium, all that stuff I get but electronics are pretty common?

As a guess, I'd say that if you were to pay your friend for the card, it ceases to be a gift and begins to be an attempt to dodge import/local taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Unless said friend packs the receipt into the box along with the card, I'm not sure how they put two and two together.