Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Got Trio of Towns from GameStop and it came with a little stuffed critter :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Fun Times! posted:

Got Trio of Towns from GameStop and it came with a little stuffed critter :)

The stuffed critters are the main things I miss from not buying physically anymore.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

Oh my god, your dad making GBS threads all over your desire to be the standard Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons protagonist in the intro is amazing.

Dad, I'm making like 10,000 a day in my second season. Being a farmer/gem merchant seems to be a pretty decent job but, okay, sure, I guess I'm just not rich enough for you am I?

Does anyone know all of the stat increasing feed for animals and where to get them?

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Does anyone know all of the stat increasing feed for animals and where to get them?

All I've found are soft treats that raise affection and spicy feed that says it raises coat quality. I'm only about halfway through summer, though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Wow, it only took them three games to finally get the "These stores are open" cutscene down to a reasonable length. The "Press L to greet villagers and it counts as speaking with them" thing owns. If you talk to a character multiple times, sometimes they'll tell you something about their likes/dislikes. It doesn't seem to be too specific, but like the Chef guy will be all "I don't really need anything besides edible stuff I can cook with" and his wife is all "I like sweet things" so.

No one's schedule seems to be effected by the rain, so they'll just, like, pace back in forth, out in the rain, or keep on sweeping out front. After Stardew Valley and FFXV, fishing feels maybe a bit too basic.

Is there a purpose to finding bugs? It doesn't seem to be recorded anywhere.

Started on Sprout/Tycoon because I'm a dirty casual.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 4, 2017

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

Is there a purpose to finding bugs? It doesn't seem to be recorded anywhere.

Dessie gave me some rubies for collecting a lot of bugs. I don't know if it does anything else

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zoo06 posted:

All I've found are soft treats that raise affection and spicy feed that says it raises coat quality. I'm only about halfway through summer, though.

Win your first Animal Festival.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
anyone know if we still have to cook one item at a time for maximum progress towards the skill improvement trophies, or if its a hidden exp gauge and you can batch cook like a reasonable person would expect?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Blhue posted:

anyone know if we still have to cook one item at a time for maximum progress towards the skill improvement trophies, or if its a hidden exp gauge and you can batch cook like a reasonable person would expect?

According to Fogu it now works like a normal person would expect. http://fogu.com/sos2/activities/cooking.html

Anyone have any useful early recipes they recommend unlocking soon? Some of the more advanced ones have special effects like regenerating stamina or giving you a shop discount but the recipes are too pricey right now for me to just try everything and experiment.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

How's the amount of dialogue/the characters in the new SoS? I feel like the Rune Factory games really spoiled me for what to expect in characterization; I liked A New Beginning a lot but the characters having like four daily lines to say really killed my momentum. I'm not expecting RF levels of "it takes like an entire year for dialogue to repeat", but how is it otherwise?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

dmboogie posted:

How's the amount of dialogue/the characters in the new SoS? I feel like the Rune Factory games really spoiled me for what to expect in characterization; I liked A New Beginning a lot but the characters having like four daily lines to say really killed my momentum. I'm not expecting RF levels of "it takes like an entire year for dialogue to repeat", but how is it otherwise?

Huge. I'll see if I can find the numbers for the main game, but just the DLC itself (which will be released in English in the future) is,
"over 200,000 Japanese characters, making it as large as some games we’ve released. The first Corpse Party, for example, has about 210,000 characters."

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/156774860925/about-dlc-for-story-of-seasons-trio-of-towns

Edit: Found it:
"With approximately 2 million characters of Japanese text to be localized, Trio of Towns is the largest Story of Seasons to date, surpassing the previous title in the series which had about 1.7 million characters.
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/11/story-seasons-trio-towns-text-game-series/

I can't easily find out how much dialogue RF4 had, I'll post it if I do.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 4, 2017

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The thing is, Story of Seasons had lots of variable dialogue too. The main problem being if you followed a set routine, you usually talked to villagers in the same spot and time, so they'd usually say the same thing about that particular area or activity they're doing. Rune Factory 4 was good at this by making what villagers say more dynamic and not set in stone wherever. Dunno if Trio of Towns has adopted RF4's dialogue system yet though since I haven't started my copy yet.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Catalina posted:

Huge. I'll see if I can find the numbers for the main game, but just the DLC itself (which will be released in English in the future) is,
"over 200,000 Japanese characters, making it as large as some games we’ve released. The first Corpse Party, for example, has about 210,000 characters."

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/156774860925/about-dlc-for-story-of-seasons-trio-of-towns

Edit: Found it:
"With approximately 2 million characters of Japanese text to be localized, Trio of Towns is the largest Story of Seasons to date, surpassing the previous title in the series which had about 1.7 million characters.
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/11/story-seasons-trio-towns-text-game-series/

I can't easily find out how much dialogue RF4 had, I'll post it if I do.

Oh, wow, thanks for the answer!

Allarion posted:

The thing is, Story of Seasons had lots of variable dialogue too. The main problem being if you followed a set routine, you usually talked to villagers in the same spot and time, so they'd usually say the same thing about that particular area or activity they're doing. Rune Factory 4 was good at this by making what villagers say more dynamic and not set in stone wherever. Dunno if Trio of Towns has adopted RF4's dialogue system yet though since I haven't started my copy yet.

The last "main" HM game I played was A New Beginning; but it's nice to hear that the first SoS improved on that as well.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah, in SoS they p much just said the same poo poo at the same place, but they varied their routine each day of the week, so it felt a tad more immersive because you ran into them in random places. they never really had anything too interesting or too quirky to say, except for the baby witch princess i guess, but their excellent portrait art made up for it a lot. bad portrait art is why i will probably never play ToTT.

the weirdest part of dialogue was the festivals, where they each had 4 lines to say, but would say each one at random, so you could talk to them 5 times and just get the same line over and over.

i miss RF :(

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Haven't played enough to notice repeating dialogue yet, but I like that villagers greet you, or have some kinda dialogue when you walk by them so that's nice.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

So far the dialogue feels pretty standard (though compared to ANB it's actually in English), but I admit I haven't really poked around that much at different times of day. On the up side, you can press the L button while walking by a villager and they'll have a little greeting pop up at the bottom of the screen without opening a dialogue box, and that counts as speaking with them for those sweet sweet friendship points.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Haven't played a HM game since RF4. Worth jumping back on (even if there's no combat) or should I just wait for them to continue getting better two steps forward and one back at a time?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm really enjoying Trio, especially because I just played a ton of Stardew. I really, really loved Stardew but I'm enjoying the contrast. Everybody doesn't hate me at the beginning.

Its really leisurely at this point which is just what I need every once in a while

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

hopeandjoy posted:

Win your first Animal Festival.

Yep, that unlocked some more treats.

In other news you have to put your chicken (or other bird, I'm assuming) on the incubator if you want it to reproduce. Don't fall into the trap of holding an egg and hammering 'A' like I did.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Haven't played a HM game since RF4. Worth jumping back on (even if there's no combat) or should I just wait for them to continue getting better two steps forward and one back at a time?

Personally, I was wowed by by Rune Factory 4, and found Harvest Moon A New Beginning and Story of Seasons 1 to be ok, but kind of off, and I'm loving Trio of Towns. I recommend it!

The strong points to me are 1) lots of things to to that unlock quickly, but not too quickly, 2) Stronger, more interesting characters (though not as great as Rune Factory 4, but still good. If RF4 was an A+, I'd give Trio of Towns a B+), 3) Lots of freedom of what to do, but clearly defined small goals to help you advance the story, 4) Better visuals, with a lot of variety in character designs and environmental designs, coming from good design direction over 3 different kinds of environmental areas.
I'd say that it's a Rune Factory 4 quality with a major focus on giving depth to the farming aspects.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

What's the framerate like? It was mostly fine in SoS but whenever there were those 3d petals overlaying the screen, it dropped in a pretty jarring and noticeable way.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm playing on a New 3ds and I notice framerate drops when running through the town, mostly when ambiance petals are flying and there's water around. It's noticeable but not a game breaker by any means.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I'm enjoying Trio a lot. I keep meaning to figure out what high points to hit on my Skytree post. The DLC marriage candidates are great, but SoS has stolen me away.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Blhue posted:

Can confirm, batch cooking counts to leveling it up.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I really enjoy the job service, i wind up coordinating it which is fun. so okay, hop over to Franks to chop wood, pick weeds at Fords until the shops open, pick up delivery items from one of the westown shops and then go clean fishing traps to get me to fast travel over to Lulukoko to drop off my deliveries.

I don't know how I feel about the tool upgrades yet, seems really tedious since mining is random. Wasn't crazy about that ever but small enough to not ruin the game for me or anything

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The food bonuses strike me as a good idea, especially compared to SoS's accessory combos. It helps make the eight hundred million types of food you can cook feel less redundant, and it's pretty awesome when you stop in to eat with someone and you come away with both the Faster Movement/Shop Discount buffs.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I ended up picking the game up and I'm definitely enjoying it so far! The characters are definitely making a better impression that they did in A New Beginning, and it's charming in general. The first couple weeks dragged a bit because I was going to bed around like 12 every day just because I didn't have anything to do, but now that I've unlocked the second village I feel like that's not gonna be a concern.

I'm also a big fan of the part-time jobs, except for the part where I failed a couple shipping missions because I didn't realize that wildflowers, with the word "flower" in their name, didn't count as legit flowers for the purpose of the job. My only real complaint in general is that the music got old after like an hour; but this seems like a good podcasting game anyways.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

So you can have lunch with the bachelors/bachelorettes? I just managed to get Wayne to a purple heart and talked to him while he was eating. He invited me to join him, I got a nice little convo, and my stamina refilled! I've done it three times now, I'm trying to get up affection with someone else so I can see if it's just love interests.

edit: Nope, not just love interests! Miranda just invited me to dinner and this is a super neat mechanic! I think it only works when they are having dinner at their own place, but I'm super impressed

Shirec fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 5, 2017

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Shirec posted:

So you can have lunch with the bachelors/bachelorettes? I just managed to get Wayne to a purple heart and talked to him while he was eating. He invited me to join him, I got a nice little convo, and my stamina refilled! I've done it three times now, I'm trying to get up affection with someone else so I can see if it's just love interests.

It's everyone, and since the schedules seem to be pretty much the same everyday, you can kinda watch to see where you usually are at noon and figure out who you should start wooing as your lunch buddy. I personally have been using Hector, because I'm usually coming out of Westown at noon and also they have big dog named Buddy who always greets me when I walk in :3

dmboogie posted:

I ended up picking the game up and I'm definitely enjoying it so far! The characters are definitely making a better impression that they did in A New Beginning, and it's charming in general. The first couple weeks dragged a bit because I was going to bed around like 12 every day just because I didn't have anything to do, but now that I've unlocked the second village I feel like that's not gonna be a concern.

It probably helps a bit that compared to ANB the dialogue is actually in English. I agree that it sort of drags until you can unlock the second town, but once you get to that point your days start getting packed.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

dmboogie posted:

I'm also a big fan of the part-time jobs, except for the part where I failed a couple shipping missions because I didn't realize that wildflowers, with the word "flower" in their name, didn't count as legit flowers for the purpose of the job. My only real complaint in general is that the music got old after like an hour; but this seems like a good podcasting game anyways.

Haha I also made this mistake with the flowers!

So sometimes when I eat food it doesn't recover stamina, particular when I eat more than one at once. This is a thing?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Aerofallosov posted:

I'm enjoying Trio a lot. I keep meaning to figure out what high points to hit on my Skytree post. The DLC marriage candidates are great, but SoS has stolen me away.

I look forward to your Skytree post! I've followed SoS because I know what I like, and I've liked it since 1997, but I am really curious in how Natsume's doing with their own IP.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

The only complaint I really have so far is the main farm area feels pretty tiny compared to the first SoS. You do get an expansion pretty quickly but I've never much liked splitting my main farm work. Plus the big coops and barns are kind of big for only holding four animals.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

endolithic posted:

The only complaint I really have so far is the main farm area feels pretty tiny compared to the first SoS. You do get an expansion pretty quickly but I've never much liked splitting my main farm work. Plus the big coops and barns are kind of big for only holding four animals.

The worst part about the Large Barn is that it takes up one more square than 4 regular barns, plus any extra time you'd save by not having to travel is taking up by having to run around to push them out the door.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

HellOnEarth posted:

The worst part about the Large Barn is that it takes up one more square than 4 regular barns, plus any extra time you'd save by not having to travel is taking up by having to run around to push them out the door.

oh god you STILL have to manually round up animals? i miss the earlier HM games where ringing the bell made cows teleport outside/inside. what happened, did they get a bunch of complaints from people who LIKED having to spend an ingame hour to unwedge your cows from the paddock corners every night?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I have my dog do all the herding for me

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Corridor posted:

oh god you STILL have to manually round up animals? i miss the earlier HM games where ringing the bell made cows teleport outside/inside. what happened, did they get a bunch of complaints from people who LIKED having to spend an ingame hour to unwedge your cows from the paddock corners every night?

It's not quite as bad with the small barns since they're pretty tiny + the area outside is also tiny, but large barns look like kind of a nightmare.

Linnaeus posted:

I have my dog do all the herding for me

Which dog herds, I have a dachshund right now and I don't think he does anything besides look cute as h*ck.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The pet abilities for all the animals change every time you open the store menu so just keep trying till the pet you want has the skill you want.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Do the pets do this stuff automatically or do you have to play with them for a month to build up friend points before they start working?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Jimmybob posted:

Do the pets do this stuff automatically or do you have to play with them for a month to build up friend points before they start working?

They do it automatically but they only herd one animal to start with. You have to raise their affection to raise the number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

Which dog herds, I have a dachshund right now and I don't think he does anything besides look cute as h*ck.

Yeah I have a Doberman but all pets should have the ability to herd

• Locked thread