Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skyscraper posted:

Oh, no doubt, I could see he was doing some stuff, but the whole thing came off as an unskippable cutscene, or like when you're playing DnD and the DM talks for like an hour and moves your characters around while bad stuff happens. The main character does nothing other than float in space and watch.

You're sitting in the Cosmic Horror thread complaining about the cosmic horror. Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Jedit posted:

You're sitting in the Cosmic Horror thread complaining about the cosmic horror. Just saying.
I like when the Cosmic Horror comes calling directly, instead of zooming the character out and ending the world in a second.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Skyscraper posted:

I know it'll be a pain to read The Night Land, and I only ended up reading House on the Borderland because it was in convenient audiobook edition thanks to librivox. The Night Land is too, but someone recommended The Night Land, A Story Retold instead of the original, which is not on audiobook because it's from this century. The plot summary I've heard sounds awesome, but I know there's an awful lot there.

I would think it's be a lot easier to listen to someone read The Night Land to you than it is to actually read The Night Land, so you should be ok.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I adore the House on the Borderland and especially like the cosmic voyage passages. But I also like smoking salvia divinorum and having the same horrifying experience of infinite abysses of time

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I adore the House on the Borderland and especially like the cosmic voyage passages. But I also like smoking salvia divinorum and having the same horrifying experience of infinite abysses of time

I like the idea that House on the Borderland is a study guide for salvia.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ornamented Death posted:

I would think it's be a lot easier to listen to someone read The Night Land to you than it is to actually read The Night Land, so you should be ok.

Someone did a re-written version that cleans up the faux 17th century writing that I'd recommend.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Someone did a re-written version that cleans up the faux 17th century writing that I'd recommend.

Yeah, that was covered. Skyscraper was discussing audio books, though.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

I like the idea that House on the Borderland is a study guide for salvia.

Best book I ever read about a gladiatorial fight between a pig and a house.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Skyscraper posted:

The Night Land is too, but someone recommended The Night Land, A Story Retold instead of the original, which is not on audiobook because it's from this century. The plot summary I've heard sounds awesome, but I know there's an awful lot there.

A book with a cover like this must surely be a masterpiece:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Ornamented Death posted:

Well I mean it is basically a love story set in a weird, hosed up future. That cover is awful, yes, but it's not totally out of place.

Alternatively, "Self-published book has terrible cover, news at 11."

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the night land isn't even that good but i'd still rather shoot myself in the head and live than read a self-published 'rewrite'

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the night land isn't even that good but i'd still rather shoot myself in the head and live than read a self-published 'rewrite'

okay

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

the rewrite is pretty decent and i'd recommend it over the original if anyone is going to read just one, unless the person i'm speaking to has a passion for stilted prose and no dialogue.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Neurosis posted:

the rewrite is pretty decent and i'd recommend it over the original if anyone is going to read just one, unless the person i'm speaking to has a passion for stilted prose and no dialogue.
Yeah, I've heard other people saying it's significantly more readable than the original.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I feel like that cover tells you basically what you're getting.

Sibling of TB posted:

Best book I ever read about a gladiatorial fight between a pig and a house.
:agreed:

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010
Recently finished Under a Watchful Eye, the latest novel by Adam Nevill, whom this thread turned me onto a while ago when people were talking about House of Small Shadows. It really reminded me of that book, as well as Last Days, in that the book revolves around an expansive and horrific (and pretty original) mythology that the reader only gets an incomplete picture of. In this case, it involves an astral projection cult, and the terrible, hidden reality that they can manipulate. (It also has a couple references to his other books)

I really enjoyed it, because I'm a sucker for things like astral projection cults in my cosmic horror, but it also had some pretty serious missteps, which I feel are pretty common for Nevill. If anyone has read it, there's a major plot point that I didn't understand:

The whole attraction of astral projection is that it lets one enter some beautiful other-world contiguous with our own, where one is released from the physical and can enjoy perfect clarity. But, during the novel, pretty much everyone is winds up wandering a nasty, bleak limbo. Is this due to Hazard's influence? Aside from being a self-aggrandizing weirdo cult leader, even after death, does Hazard have an endgame anyway?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

julietthecat posted:

Recently finished Under a Watchful Eye, the latest novel by Adam Nevill, whom this thread turned me onto a while ago when people were talking about House of Small Shadows. It really reminded me of that book, as well as Last Days, in that the book revolves around an expansive and horrific (and pretty original) mythology that the reader only gets an incomplete picture of. In this case, it involves an astral projection cult, and the terrible, hidden reality that they can manipulate. (It also has a couple references to his other books)

I really enjoyed it, because I'm a sucker for things like astral projection cults in my cosmic horror, but it also had some pretty serious missteps, which I feel are pretty common for Nevill. If anyone has read it, there's a major plot point that I didn't understand:

The whole attraction of astral projection is that it lets one enter some beautiful other-world contiguous with our own, where one is released from the physical and can enjoy perfect clarity. But, during the novel, pretty much everyone is winds up wandering a nasty, bleak limbo. Is this due to Hazard's influence? Aside from being a self-aggrandizing weirdo cult leader, even after death, does Hazard have an endgame anyway?

Ooh, new Adam Neville? Buying that right now!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I didn't think House of Small Shadows completely made sense either but it was still great so I'm definitely getting this, thanks for the head's-up!

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010

Clipperton posted:

I didn't think House of Small Shadows completely made sense either but it was still great so I'm definitely getting this, thanks for the head's-up!

Yeah, I would say that none of his books are as tightly done as The Ritual, although that novel is also the least imaginative. Has anyone checked out his short story collection, Some Will Not Sleep? I think there's a story in there that's inspired or is somehow connected to this new novel.

Also if I could ask for recommendations:

I'm really digging novels about creepy and forboding cults and the supernatural right now--I've done the Lovecraft stuff, Last Days and this new book by Nevill, and Last Days by Brian Evenson (I like Evenson a lot but I have to admit that I bought that one by accident). I've as well read the Drowning Girl, where (I think?) there's some kind of cult.

I've also perennially dug novels about weird or haunted movies. I've read Flicker by Roszack, Experimental Film by Gemma Files, Grin in the Dark by Campbell, and Zeroville.

Any direction would be very much appreciated!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

julietthecat posted:

Also if I could ask for recommendations:

I'm really digging novels about creepy and forboding cults and the supernatural right now--I've done the Lovecraft stuff, Last Days and this new book by Nevill, and Last Days by Brian Evenson (I like Evenson a lot but I have to admit that I bought that one by accident). I've as well read the Drowning Girl, where (I think?) there's some kind of cult.

I've also perennially dug novels about weird or haunted movies. I've read Flicker by Roszack, Experimental Film by Gemma Files, Grin in the Dark by Campbell, and Zeroville.

Chills by Mary Sangiovanni is a good short novel about a cult doing some Lovecraftian stuff. She's also big on the shared world stuff with all of her work, so if you like her, pretty much all of her novels and a lot of her short stories and novellas are set in the same world.

Shackled by Ray Garton is a mostly-realistic story about Satanists in the mid 90s. It's good, but pretty loving brutal.

Pretty much any of Brian Keene's horror has cultists at least in the background, if not front and center.

The Ceremonies by T.E.D. Klein features a cult (or cult-like group, anyhow). I don't think this is available as an ebook, so you'll have to get a 99c paperback copy.

For books about cursed movies, I recommend Angel of the Abyss by Ed Kurtz. It's not really a horror novel - more of a thriller, really - but it's quite good. Tribesmen by Adam Cesare is also good; it's about making a cursed movie.

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Chills by Mary Sangiovanni is a good short novel about a cult doing some Lovecraftian stuff. She's also big on the shared world stuff with all of her work, so if you like her, pretty much all of her novels and a lot of her short stories and novellas are set in the same world.

Shackled by Ray Garton is a mostly-realistic story about Satanists in the mid 90s. It's good, but pretty loving brutal.

Pretty much any of Brian Keene's horror has cultists at least in the background, if not front and center.

The Ceremonies by T.E.D. Klein features a cult (or cult-like group, anyhow). I don't think this is available as an ebook, so you'll have to get a 99c paperback copy.

For books about cursed movies, I recommend Angel of the Abyss by Ed Kurtz. It's not really a horror novel - more of a thriller, really - but it's quite good. Tribesmen by Adam Cesare is also good; it's about making a cursed movie.

Thanks! I just bought Angel of the Abyss and Shackled.

I'm sad that generally, so far as I can tell, virtually none of Klein's work is available in an electronic format for some reason...

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

julietthecat posted:

It's not quite cosmic horror, but possibly Club Dumas would suit.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

julietthecat posted:

Campbell has another one, Ancient Images, that has a suppressed spooky movie as a major plot point, so if you liked Grin in the Dark it might be worth a read.

e: And John Darnielle's latest, Universal Harvester, "tells the story of a video store clerk, who finds strange and disturbing clips recorded over the store's VHS tapes" according to Wikipedia.

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 15, 2017

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

julietthecat posted:

Not in the cosmic or any other horror vein really but Pattern Recognition by Gibson is a must for weird movie books.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

julietthecat posted:

Seems kind of like drugs, at first you get a high, and then things go severely downhill. Overall I'm just a little disappointed, I was hoping astral world would be more weird and alien.

Have you read Felix Gilman's Revolutions? It's not really horror, but there's astral projection cults.

Forgall fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 15, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
universal harvester is not a horror novel and if you go in expecting it to be you will be disappointed. it is, however, an excellent treatment of loss and melancholy and, most of all, small town life

but it's not a horror novel

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

universal harvester is not a horror novel and if you go in expecting it to be you will be disappointed. it is, however, an excellent treatment of loss and melancholy and, most of all, small town life

but it's not a horror novel

booooo

at least tell me wolf in white van is about a pedo serial killer

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

julietthecat posted:

It's not about a haunted movie, but The Cipher very prominently features some freaky poo poo on VHS as a major plot point.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Clipperton posted:

booooo

at least tell me wolf in white van is about a pedo serial killer

It's not, but it's also really good.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Skyscraper posted:

It's not about a haunted movie, but The Cipher very prominently features some freaky poo poo on VHS as a major plot point.

The Cipher also loving owns so you should read it no matter what.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

General Battuta posted:

:agreed: you absolutely should read it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

General Battuta posted:

Gonna go ahead and third this.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm just about to start The Cipher so this is all very validating, thanks internet!

Also my local library apparently knows me really well, because they keep buying horror books I recommend and reserving them for me. Just got a notification they have a copy of Swift to Chase waiting for me.

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Gonna go ahead and third this.

I have read The Cipher, and man did it have a grimy 80s vibe unlike anything...As well as one of the most dislikeable characters I've seen in fiction to boot.

Anyone read The Visible Filth, the novella by Nathan Ballingrud (author of the fabulous collection North American Lake Monsters)? That also has some spooky videos, and reminded me a little bit of The Cipher.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

julietthecat posted:

Anyone read The Visible Filth, the novella by Nathan Ballingrud (author of the fabulous collection North American Lake Monsters)? That also has some spooky videos, and reminded me a little bit of The Cipher.

I have, and your'e right, there are some similarities there.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

julietthecat posted:

As well as one of the most dislikeable characters I've seen in fiction to boot.

Nakota, or the main character?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Everything in The Cipher is grimy, miserable, horrible, hung-over, plastic, greasy, disingenuous and bad. Except the funhole. The funhole's real as gently caress. That's why it's so magnetic to the characters, and why it illuminates the central conflict of the subtext: is it better to live a miserably ordinary but sustainable life, or to utterly destroy yourself in pursuit of genuine truth? (Some of the characters also use 'the pursuit of genuine truth' as a means to gain status in the disingenuous and miserable ordinary, an act which the novel's ethos finds especially repulsive.)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Forgall posted:

Seems kind of like drugs, at first you get a high, and then things go severely downhill. Overall I'm just a little disappointed, I was hoping astral world would be more weird and alien.

I found Under a Watchful Eye pretty disappointing myself which is a shame, because I'm a big fan of Nevill's stuff. The book has all the elements to make up a great horror novel but somehow none of it quite hangs together and it never engages you like his previous novels could. He's also arguably written this book already: Last Days, except rather than have a film-maker who becomes inadvertently drawn into investigating a sinister but defunct cult that turns out to be not so defunct after all... he has a writer who becomes inadvertently drawn into investigating a sinister but defunct cult that turns out to be not so defunct after all!

Nevill sums up the book's deficiencies himself pretty well. Early on in the novel, the protagonist, Seb, a writer who's finally achieved a measure of success and security after many years of poverty and struggle, contemplates the state of his latest novel:

quote:

Seb had set out his laptop, coffee and water in preparation for the morning's work on the book that he was struggling to believe in, let alone write. The work in progress barely resembled his previous novels, never rose beyond an imitation of effect and a perfunctory progression of plot, peopled by undefined characters that were mere wraiths of what had been intended. It had taken him six months to acknowledge that his imagination was failing. The energy at his core was mostly spent, or had leaked away during the writing of his previous novel, a book written with the needle of his inner reader's compass spinning wildly, in a blizzard of doubt and vain hope, without settling upon any specific direction regarding the book's quality...

But had the place and his comfortable lifestyle made him too content? Was penetrating the surface of the world to recreate its meanings, in unusual and interesting ways, dependent upon times of adversity? He did wonder. He worried that a flabby self-indulgence had replaced his purpose. Maybe wishful thinking about his books had usurped his critical candour. He'd seen it happen to other writers. Perhaps naivety had swapped places with wisdom and imitation had overrun his trademark strangeness.

Now, Nevill is an intelligent writer who's not above playing literary games with his readers and I've little doubt he deliberately intended the meaning of this passage to be ambiguous. If you've read the book, you'll see it foreshadowing future plot developments but it also sounds a little too much like the reader is being addressed by Nevill directly here and I can't help but agree with the verdict.

And it's a pity, because I feel there were potentially much more interesting things that he could have done with the material rather than end up revisiting past themes again.

The novel begins with Seb's hard-won comfortable lifestyle being invaded by an extremely unwelcome figure from his grotty past existence. The supernatural element of the novel is introduced at the same time and these two themes persist together throughout: Seb's fear of losing the secure life that he's built for himself and being drawn back into the disordered and unhappy existence that he thought he'd escaped for good and the sort of creepy, haunting entities scuttling around in the darkness that Nevill loves to populate his books with. What makes me feel that Nevill perhaps missed an opportunity here is that he writes about Seb's fear of chaos and poverty with what seems like more genuine feeling than when Seb's getting chased around by spooky emaciated ghosts.

Take this passage, where Seb is investigating the mobile phone of his uninvited guest:

quote:

The first three numbers he's called - 'J', 'Dizzy', 'Ace' - were disconnected. The fourth number for a 'Baz' rang out twice before the call was answered. A rough male voice exploded in Seb's ear the moment the call was accepted, the words frantic and near-breathless with anger. "Ewan! That you? Ewan, you oval office! I'll fuckin' do you! Where are-"
Seb had hung up and found himself shaking for a few seconds. The lingering effect of Baz's threat flooded his imagination with the sensations and notions of sleeping rough in damp, filthy rooms, crashing on couches that stank of cigarette smoke, owing money, being cold, hungry, hungover, strung-out, skint, depressed, unwell, tired... His appetite to delve any further into Ewan's past faded. Seb deactivated the handset in case Baz called back.

Anyway, it struck me that it could have been really interesting if Nevill had dropped the supernatural elements of this novel altogether and concentrated on the realism. If you've read No-one Gets Out Alive, you'll know that Nevill can brilliantly depict gruesome criminal low-lives and I think he could have made this a really effective book about a secure but increasingly jaded and directionless author who finds himself gradually pulled back into an existence that he thought he'd escaped forever. Perhaps Seb feels he can generate a book from this situation; perhaps he's not entirely conscious of his own deeper motivations? Obviously, he'd have to get drawn in deeper than he ever intended and everything would ultimately go horribly and bloodily wrong...

drat, I've been mainly thinking this out as I was typing and now I really want to read a gritty crime thriller by Adam Nevill. Perhaps I'll email him and suggest it :)

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

General Battuta posted:

Everything in The Cipher is grimy, miserable, horrible, hung-over, plastic, greasy, disingenuous and bad. Except the funhole. The funhole's real as gently caress. That's why it's so magnetic to the characters, and why it illuminates the central conflict of the subtext: is it better to live a miserably ordinary but sustainable life, or to utterly destroy yourself in pursuit of genuine truth? (Some of the characters also use 'the pursuit of genuine truth' as a means to gain status in the disingenuous and miserable ordinary, an act which the novel's ethos finds especially repulsive.)

The Cipher is one of those books that I loved despite wanting to murder absolutely everyone in it.

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010
Re: Under a Watchful Eye, I agree that its mythos was a lot less weird than it could have been, and, again, the book had some of Nevill's usual misteps. Nonetheless, I think it also had some seriously creepy moments, and I'm still really enamored with astral projection cult horror.

Nonetheless, I also agree that the best written and most evocative parts had nothing to do with supernatural horror. Above all, the narrator's relationship with his overbearing, deadbeat friend who periodically forces himself into his life and derides his successes while at once claiming credit for them. I found that relationship seriously discomfiting, and as much as I hate to say it maybe Nevill would do well to take a stab at another genre. (Although personally I do still really enjoy reading his deeply flawed horror fiction)

Some trip reports from the last couple weeks:

Jon Padgett's collection The Secret of Ventriloquism. It's predictably derivative of Ligotti (Padgett runs Thomas Ligotti Online), and the last story, "Escape to Thin Mountain" is obviously a reference to Ligotti's "Ten Steps to Thin Mountain." But I thought it was really excellent. This is heresy, but I've always preferred Ligotti's philosophy and universe to the experience of reading the stories themselves, and they've sometimes felt like a slog to get through. Padgett operates in the same universe, and fleshes out the same ideas without adding anything really original, but I found his stories more enjoyable. Padgett is a former ventriloquist himself, incidentally, and the stories are loosely connected. Standouts: "Murmurs of a Voice Foreknown" and "20 Simple Steps to Ventriloquism."

Angel of the Abyss, recommended above for having a creepy film as a major plot point: This is pulp, not horror. A film restoration expert and his friend in 2013 try to discover the secret behind an infamous silent film, The Angel of the Abyss, that went missing along with its star shortly after its premier in the late '20s; anyone who has come into contact with the film since then has wound up dead. The central mystery becomes kind of dopey, but this is still a pretty all right read--chiefly because of the relationship between the two protagonists. I'd only really suggest checking this out if you have Kindle Unlimited.

Universal Harvester, which again came among the books with creepy films recommendations: The book's premise sets it up to be horror or at least thriller. Someone in a small town in Nevada has been editing creepy clips into tapes from the local video store. But as elaborated above, it is indeed really a meditation on how loss transforms us and leaves gaping cavities in our lives, ones we can never fully grasp, and certainly never fully recover from. It's beautifully written (the author is the singer/song writer of the Mountain Goats I guess?), and I loved reading it, but it is absolutely a strange and deliberately unsatisfying book, and it won't appeal to everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

julietthecat posted:

This is heresy, but I've always preferred Ligotti's philosophy and universe to the experience of reading the stories themselves, and they've sometimes felt like a slog to get through.

I'm in this camp as well so I'll give Padgett a shot, thanks!