Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It's probably the double-the-size L2 cache that's helping there. I, too, like any sensible person, values smoothness in frame times. Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Just because "I wish you died of cancer" (as an example of the messages he was getting) is normalized, that doesn't make it actually a good thing. If "I'll kill you' is at one point and 'die from cancer' is at another point below it, both of those are still so loving far above the ground that they look close to the same height! FFS, the internet needs some goddamn civility injected right into its rear end cheeks.

You have an account on a forum called Something Awful which is notorious for pushing the envelope.

Glass houses. Stones. Etc.

Relax it wasn't a serious threat. To call "I hope your family gets cancer" a serious death threat for reviewing Ryzen badly is a stretch, and downplays serious death threats on the internet.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 6, 2017

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Rabid Snake posted:

You have an account on a forum called Something Awful which is notorious for pushing the envelope.

Glass houses. Stones. Etc.

Relax it wasn't a serious threat. To call "I hope your family gets cancer" a serious death threat for reviewing Ryzen badly is a stretch, and downplays serious death threats on the internet.

The cancer threat was just pointed out because in the sea of death threats it stood out as technically not being a death threat. Lol.

This is SA but I havent read a single death threat over a review on SH SC ever. In 10 years at least. Sure GBS is full of them but that's not really equivalent to r/amd either

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hating on that reviewer could become a thing on Reddit, then it will suck for them.

Theres really no chance of that happening here. Reddittors as a group can be utterly retarded.

HalloKitty posted:

It's probably the double-the-size L2 cache that's helping there.

I think it's that. We need better reviews.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 6, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The Ryzen chips don't look great for now, they look acceptable, but games like BF1 make it look like they might age well.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

xthetenth posted:

The Ryzen chips don't look great for now, they look acceptable

I disagree, from all other perspectives other than gaming, the value is excellent. If you're just talking about gaming, right now, then they're merely fine. Yeah.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

They looked fine to me. It's a little sad that a 50+% increase in IPC and its just merely competitive now but if I put all that behind me its quite nice that they are competitive now so... thats what matters. I did find it a ~bit misleading~ to focus completely on the "$1000 cpu bested in gaming??!!!" because while its completely true its also completely unrealistic (since, obviously, a $350 intel also beats a $1000 intel in that) although im sure thats more fleshed out in the real reviews. I think the R5's will be where its at.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HalloKitty posted:

I disagree, from all other perspectives other than gaming, the value is excellent. If you're just talking about gaming, right now, then they're merely fine. Yeah.

Yeah, I meant specifically for gaming use. I've actually got one sitting on my bed waiting for a motherboard because I don't only game (heck, I might want to try my hand streaming) and my motherboard and depression brain started acting up at exactly the right time to make me want to update. :v:

I'm pretty confident that with the way it looks like game engines are starting to get some real threading going it'll be good in the long term for gaming too, and I figure that the long term performance is more important for avoiding it becoming unacceptable so it's more important than a bit better performance in the short term.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
my setup:

GTX 970
2x monitors at 1080p
1 1080p 65" TV
1 4K 40" TV

Stuff is starting to lag once I hooked up my 65" TV. Ughhhhh, what model 1080 should I look at?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

89 posted:

my setup:

GTX 970
2x monitors at 1080p
1 1080p 65" TV
1 4K 40" TV

Stuff is starting to lag once I hooked up my 65" TV. Ughhhhh, what model 1080 should I look at?

Any are as fast as any other, get one that's really quiet like the MSI Gaming X 8G.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
My setup lagging on a 970 sound normal?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The 1080 is supposed to drop to $500 this week so make sure you're not paying much more than that. Looking at the online retailers I see some down at $500 and some still up over $550.

89 posted:

My setup lagging on a 970 sound normal?

Which games? Are you just gaming on one monitor?

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 6, 2017

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

MaxxBot posted:

The 1080 is supposed to drop to $500 this week so make sure you're not paying much more than that. Looking at the online retailers I see some down at $500 and some still up over $550.

Which games? The 970 is still pretty good at 1080p but I would expect it to struggle in some maxed out AAA games.

It's lagging on even the desktop, Google chrome, anything. It's only when I have 4 displays. 3 doesn't have a problem...but I need all 4

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

89 posted:

It's lagging on even the desktop, Google chrome, anything. It's only when I have 4 displays. 3 doesn't have a problem...but I need all 4

Does the 4k TV lag when it's plugged in by itself? I'm guessing a 40" 4K TV might be a kinda cheap one, and I've seen some cheap TVs just absolutely wreck poo poo when being used as a monitor.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Lockback posted:

Does the 4k TV lag when it's plugged in by itself? I'm guessing a 40" 4K TV might be a kinda cheap one, and I've seen some cheap TVs just absolutely wreck poo poo when being used as a monitor.

Nope it's perfectly fine even when the 4K TV (it's used as a 3rd monitor) and the 2 1080p monitors are hooked in. It's just when I have the 1080p TV hooked into my display port (DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor > onkyo reciever > 65" TV).

The 4K TV is a Samsung KU6300 which is one of the better TVs for monitor usage.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If it's just input lag, it's not exactly uncommon for AV receivers to add a significant amount of it, fwiw.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Gwaihir posted:

If it's just input lag, it's not exactly uncommon for AV receivers to add a significant amount of it, fwiw.

The mouse skips

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

89 posted:

Nope it's perfectly fine even when the 4K TV (it's used as a 3rd monitor) and the 2 1080p monitors are hooked in. It's just when I have the 1080p TV hooked into my display port (DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor > onkyo reciever > 65" TV).

The 4K TV is a Samsung KU6300 which is one of the better TVs for monitor usage.

Try connecting one of the displays that you don't use for games through the IGP.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Try connecting one of the displays that you don't use for games through the IGP.

It lags before I even play a game.

Update: I changed the refresh rate on my 4K TV from 60Hz to 50Hz and the lag was gone. Then I changed it back from 50Hz to 60Hz and it's working fine.

For now...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

89 posted:

Update: I changed the refresh rate on my 4K TV from 60Hz to 50Hz and the lag was gone. Then I changed it back from 50Hz to 60Hz and it's working fine.

For now...

I suspect it's not a horsepower problem with your card. Possibly a weird connection issue. A newer card may behave better, maybe not.

In the 970s defense your setup is pretty unusual....

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

89 posted:

For now...

I would be interested in some pics of your setup. Gotta see this "must have" 2 tv 2monitor goon cave

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Lube banjo posted:

I would be interested in some pics of your setup. Gotta see this "must have" 2 tv 2monitor goon cave
Bedroom w/ computer:

Living Room (50Ft HDMI cable)

Yeah yeah, cable management and stuff. I rent, so I don't really care.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

89 posted:

For now...

Yeah, I know, the idea is to take some stress off of the GPU by running a monitor that you don't use for games through the IGP, you would not want to play games on the IGP hence why I said to connect a monitor that you won't be playing games on via that instead of through the video card.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
And then if I want to be Mr. Cool and take up an extra 15% of my CPU, I can make my setup do this:

https://vid.me/3wAd

IGP, that the integrated card?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

"Rented" a ASUS PG348Q from Newegg (Open Box, trying to justify my Premier account some) and got a lucky good one. (Though it looks like some kid with candy hands repackaged the thing and just threw everything back in, amazingly without damaging the screen unlike the one my buddy with the 2 1080Ti's coming got).

:stare: :swoon: Holy crap is G-Sync something I didn't know I needed. 100FPS with and without G-Sync is noticeable way more than I expected. I haven't played something that can pull down my 980Ti yet at 3440X1440 (Isn't BF1 supposed to be hard to push to 100FPS at this res?) but man is this screen tempting as hell to keep. Optimally I would like to get a mount arm so I can still have a 1440P screen to the left side of the thing on my desk to use (once you go multi monitor, its hard to go back) but I would consider a different one that isn't married to DLDVI at this point.

Anyone want a QNIX 1440P that overclocks to 100hz and a ASUS VG278H 120Hz 3D Vision 2 1080P Monitor?

Kinda pisses me off that a 980Ti is really this drat powerful for normal Monitor gaming, but it isn't near enough for the high end VR activities I enjoy like Elite remaining at 90FPS at all times.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

"Rented" a ASUS PG348Q from Newegg (Open Box, trying to justify my Premier account some) and got a lucky good one. (Though it looks like some kid with candy hands repackaged the thing and just threw everything back in, amazingly without damaging the screen unlike the one my buddy with the 2 1080Ti's coming got).

:stare: :swoon: Holy crap is G-Sync something I didn't know I needed. 100FPS with and without G-Sync is noticeable way more than I expected. I haven't played something that can pull down my 980Ti yet at 3440X1440 (Isn't BF1 supposed to be hard to push to 100FPS at this res?) but man is this screen tempting as hell to keep. Optimally I would like to get a mount arm so I can still have a 1440P screen to the left side of the thing on my desk to use (once you go multi monitor, its hard to go back) but I would consider a different one that isn't married to DLDVI at this point.

Anyone want a QNIX 1440P that overclocks to 100hz and a ASUS VG278H 120Hz 3D Vision 2 1080P Monitor?

Kinda pisses me off that a 980Ti is really this drat powerful for normal Monitor gaming, but it isn't near enough for the high end VR activities I enjoy like Elite remaining at 90FPS at all times.

Yeah, people really underestimate the difference adaptive sync tech can make. I was sure I would need to get a 1070 when I got my XB271HU and moved up to 1440p, but my 970 is actually holding up well because of Gsync making everything so smooth.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

EdEddnEddy posted:

Isn't BF1 supposed to be hard to push to 100FPS at this res?
A lot of people are saying BF1 performs way worse in multiplayer than single player so if you're in single you might be curious to try multi

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
so is there a way to pre-order a 1080ti on amazon or some poo poo or do I have to play with my phone during work meetings friday and hope I snipe two :getin:

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

Scionix posted:

so is there a way to pre-order a 1080ti on amazon or some poo poo or do I have to play with my phone during work meetings friday and hope I snipe two :getin:

The last option, unfortunately.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

CDHiggs posted:

The last option, unfortunately.

Start playing up stomach trouble on Thursday that way you get leeway for an extended emergency potty break during Fridays meeting.

hope the bathrooms have wifi/reception.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

The example they posted was "I hope your family gets cancer"... which is not a death threat.

As someone whose kid sister is a 12 year survivor of brain cancer with two surgeries... it's still a pretty loving uncouth thing to wish on someone over an internet review. Four out of the last 10 christmases have been wrecked by either shadows on MRIs, sudden radiation treatments, or actual brain surgery.

Yeah, welcome to the internet and all that, but still, just grow the gently caress up. I think Joker's an idiot and maybe a bit of a tankie for AMD, I don't wish he had cancer.

If you identify that strongly with a many-billion-dollar company... might be time to step back and rethink your priorities a little.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 7, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I really hope the supply shortages aren't as bad with the 1080 Ti as with the 1070/1080 as I'd like to wait a couple weeks and read all of the reviews before choosing a card. I'm also curious as to if the 3rd party cards will be ready for sale on the same date as the reference ones, I haven't seen much detail on that point.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Words are cheap, especially on the anonymous internet.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've had computers with Intel CPUs and nVidia cards since i was old enough to build computers, but it sure as hell wasn't brand loyalty. At the start it was ignorance and taking what I could get and when I got older/had more money it was because those two companies had the best stuff in my price range at that time. I don't understand how people essentially brand themselves so willingly. Like, AMD is doing good in my book. I don't game much but I do stuff that benefits from more cores (audio stuff mainly, along with some video stuff) so if I was building a computer now I'd honestly go Ryzen.

But holy poo poo the response from people has been crazy. Like, really, take a step back and realize it's a product. It's not gentle ribbing from the other team, it's straight up abuse from people. They're companies people. If they make a product you want, get it. If not, don't. Don't go apeshit if someone dislikes thing X you think is good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think we've gotten to a point in capitalist thought that since luxuries have become rare indulgences instead of uncommon ones, that I think some people become unhinged when they feel what they've spent their discretionary/disposable income on has now become a bastion of *pride* for them, and if someone suggests or insults their judgment (and their parting with a significant amount of money), they're going nuclear.

poo poo's existed for over a century now between the domestic car fanboys, and how *they* find common ground making GBS threads on people who buy imports...whereas computer component fanboyism is relatively new and unfortunately comprised in no small part by a decent amount of really dedicated trolls who need no motivation whatsoever to go *megaton* on anyone who dares question their preferences, knowledge, or ~authoritah~.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

syntaxfunction posted:

But holy poo poo the response from people has been crazy. Like, really, take a step back and realize it's a product. It's not gentle ribbing from the other team, it's straight up abuse from people. They're companies people. If they make a product you want, get it. If not, don't. Don't go apeshit if someone dislikes thing X you think is good.
You're completely disregarding the morality of the situation. Intel is the evil anti-competetive monopoly. AMD is the plucky underdog fighting against evil.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think we've gotten to a point in capitalist thought that since luxuries have become rare indulgences instead of uncommon ones, that I think some people become unhinged when they feel what they've spent their discretionary/disposable income on has now become a bastion of *pride* for them, and if someone suggests or insults their judgment (and their parting with a significant amount of money), they're going nuclear.

poo poo's existed for over a century now between the domestic car fanboys, and how *they* find common ground making GBS threads on people who buy imports...whereas computer component fanboyism is relatively new and unfortunately comprised in no small part by a decent amount of really dedicated trolls who need no motivation whatsoever to go *megaton* on anyone who dares question their preferences, knowledge, or ~authoritah~.

I dunno man, I find the level of fanboyism for PCs pretty silly when it's easily one of cheapest hobbies out there.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Palladium posted:

I dunno man, I find the level of fanboyism for PCs pretty silly when it's easily one of cheapest hobbies out there.

Also because it's so easy to objectively compare one piece of PC hardware to another, there's less subjectivity involved even than something like cars. At least Ryzen is a product worth defending though, the fanboys who spent 4 years defending garbage bulldozer CPUs are hard to wrap my head around.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

You should see guitar players. They think very little of dropping 2 grand on the tube amp of the day. $400 on a reverb pedal? Sure! I've seen dudes have 50k worth of gear and just wank around at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

+1 for PC's being the cheapest hobby ive ever had lol. It's kind of sad, but my entire unnecessarily extravagant PC (in normal people's eyes) can get lost in some pipe on a car id buy offhanded one night.