Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Max Wilco posted:

Can't you buy the 3D Realms Anthology again, or is it still unavailable for sale? I remember getting it on Bundle Stars or something right before they pulled it from sale for whatever reason, but I thought I saw it for sale again somewhere.

It's back on their official site as the 3D Realms Arcade Collection, but it's missing games besides just the Duke Nukem ones for Reasons(TM), even though they're still individually available on the site and on Steam. It looks like everything on the site is also on Steam, except for the free games, again for Reasons(TM).

So far, Gearbox has shown no sign of re-releasing the 2D Duke Nukem Games. They will most likely see re-release when the copyrights expire, currently projected to be when the last star in the universe gutters out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Baldur's Gate is fun enough, but the combat mechanics can be pretty clunky. Trying to make a direct translation of pen-and-paper RPG mechanics into real-time combat with a bunch of tiny sprites in small rooms is not an ideal situation. Pausing repeatedly to think and lay out new commands only does so much.

But the game is good. Makes me wanna play actual D&D.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Baldur's Gate is fun enough, but the combat mechanics can be pretty clunky. Trying to make a direct translation of pen-and-paper RPG mechanics into real-time combat with a bunch of tiny sprites in small rooms is not an ideal situation. Pausing repeatedly to think and lay out new commands only does so much.

But the game is good. Makes me wanna play actual D&D.

Modern editions of D&D are a lot simpler to understand and play than 2nd edition AD&D which is what Baldur's Gate 1, 2, Icewind Dale 1 and Planescape Torment are based on. You won't have anything as dumb as THAC0, that's now determined by a flat difficulty check from 3e onwards.

I think the purest implementation of D&D in a video game is Temple of Elemental Evil which uses 3.5e rules I believe. It still takes some liberties though and you really have to mod the game before it's playable because it's bugged to hell otherwise.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
It's not so much the ruleset that's a problem for me (at least not yet). It's that they tried to directly translate what is typically a slow-paced process into real-time combat. So all of a sudden, you'll run into an enemy, and all your characters will immediately charge at them and everyone will start rubbing against one another in a moshpit and things are just happening, unless you pause the game to sort it all out. Then you get to dictate a single action for each character, unpause, then hopefully time it right so that the actions are carried out and you can pause again before the moshpit resumes.

I THINK there's some settings in there regarding auto-pausing, but like I said, it's more about the implementation instead of how to make it less of a clusterfuck. But I'm enjoying the game and managing OK so far. I think.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's definitely worth figuring out a good auto-pause setup for those games, it makes everything a lot smoother.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think the purest implementation of D&D in a video game is Temple of Elemental Evil which uses 3.5e rules I believe. It still takes some liberties though and you really have to mod the game before it's playable because it's bugged to hell otherwise.

Apparently the Circle of Eight modpack is all you need - it also contains new content (optional during installation) that I've heard various reports about, ranging from 'wouldn't reccommend' to 'objectively better than real life'. What's your take on the original content?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is ToEE the one that could nuke your hard drive if you didn't uninstall it right?

E:wait, no, that was Pools of Radiance.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I'm pretty sure PoR nuked your HDD if you did uninstall it right.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SelenicMartian posted:

Yeah, it put itself in the same directory as your system files. I think there were a few other games that have done that one.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, it put itself in the same directory as your system files. I think there were a few other games that have done that one.

Myth 2 was one of them iirc

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you enjoy Crusader, definitely grab Brigador if you haven't already. If you've been playing Crusader, you've already got the tank controls down, which are the biggest stumbling block for people getting into Brigador.

Also, so much poo poo explodes in Brigador. It's amazing. You can Kool-Aid Man your mech through a wall and light up a cluster of dudes with a GAU-8 and banned chemical weapons.

That's my problem right there, the controls. It's weird because im a big fan of Crusader No Regret, and im pretty sure that had some really complicated controls

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I don't know if it was in there to begin with but by the time I tried Brigador it offered a wealth of control/difficulty options, from switching between camera- absolute and relative controls to even changing the speed of the game. The breadth of choices they give you to enjoy the game you want to is fantastic, and serves as an example that more games could stand to learn from.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

BiggerJ posted:

Apparently the Circle of Eight modpack is all you need - it also contains new content (optional during installation) that I've heard various reports about, ranging from 'wouldn't reccommend' to 'objectively better than real life'. What's your take on the original content?

It's okay. It does some things like allow you to customize how many created characters you can have whereas before you could only have I believe 5 PCs, 3 NPCs. The new content ranges from pretty good to kind of crap, to be expected of fan made stuff I guess. I'd recommend playing with it enabled on repeat playthroughs at least.

If you're going to play ToEE, you should install the Temple+ mod on top of a Circle of Eight modpack enabled game as it fixes some of the core engine bugs that Circle of Eight couldn't fix, allows modern widescreen resolutions and also lets you optionally enable new Prestige Classes to play around with.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

SelenicMartian posted:

Just as a quick clarification, it was Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor from 2001 that suffered from the HDD nuke, not the original 1988 Pool of Radiance.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Noticed that GOG had both Laura Bow games (Colonel's Bequest and Dagger of Amon Ra) and had a blast playing through them this weekend. There was a lot of classic Sierra frustration but the clue gathering & sheer nostalgia of going through them again won the day.

Are there any similar newish games that strike the same murder-mystery gameplay as those games?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Fargin Icehole posted:

That's my problem right there, the controls. It's weird because im a big fan of Crusader No Regret, and im pretty sure that had some really complicated controls

Crusader never had you moving and shooting at the same time. My brain defaults to trying to play brigador like a twin stick shooter, and as a result I constantly miss everything I'm shooting at and run into walls and gunfire.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm still kinda confused about Baldur's Gate. The big things doing my head in are that I've run into LOTS of potential party members, and that I've run into quests that are just way too hard for me to succeed at.

I'm getting the feeling this is a very open CRPG where I'm not supposed to do everything in a single playthrough, so I decide what works best for my playthrough and do those things. Am I right? So if I find party members who seem better suited for my adventures, I swap them in and leave behind the weaker ones with conflicting alignments. If I come across quests that I can't complete without half my party dying, I ignore those because they're simply not meant for this playthrough (or at least come back to them later on). Am I getting this?

The other thing I'm a little confused on though is how little progress I'm actually making. One character has gained one level, and everyone for the most part still has basic equipment because I can't find anything better. This kinda plays into the whole "getting my rear end handed to me" issue. I just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything regarding getting stronger. For reference, I just got to the fourth town.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

There are many NPC's to choose from to suit your class, alignment and play style, and, because they thought when someone died you might move on and replace them.

If you follow the gist of where the plot is trying to move you, then you're generally safe-ish. Stick to the roads and explore further when you feel stronger. Use your ranged weapons a lot. Sleep and similar spells are great.

If you're in Nashkel you should come out of that section with a fair bit of good kit.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Baldur' Gate 1 is fairly open and if you don't know what you're doing or you aren't spoiling yourself, you will feel lost but it's normal for a first time, just keep exploring. Also, low level D&D 2ed combat sucks.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Why is Donald Trump in that third screenshot and why is he dissing on frogs? Man what did frogs ever do to him?

Edit: vvv poo poo, we've found his motivation. So many alt-right fans will be so disappointed when they realize he secretly hates them. I mean, more than before. Also, must've miscounted, its the 5th. Or it is randomized and it is just the one with the guy talking about frogs and dissing them, easy enough to find.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 6, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

evilmiera posted:

Why is Donald Trump in that third screenshot and why is he dissing on frogs? Man what did frogs ever do to him?

He did say he was going to drain the swamp.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Jamesman posted:

The other thing I'm a little confused on though is how little progress I'm actually making. One character has gained one level, and everyone for the most part still has basic equipment because I can't find anything better. This kinda plays into the whole "getting my rear end handed to me" issue. I just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything regarding getting stronger. For reference, I just got to the fourth town.

Depending on what you're used to, leveling up can definitely feel slow in BG1. For reference, the original experience cap (and what a non-imported character in BG2 starts with) was 89,000 which translates to level 7 or 8 depending on the class. You can get a fair bit higher nowadays with the content that was added later on though.

Magical gear isn't very common early on either, although you'll be swimming in it by the second game. It can get a little troublesome since IIRC non-magical metal weapons can break in BG1 due to the ongoing iron crisis.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

el oso posted:

Noticed that GOG had both Laura Bow games (Colonel's Bequest and Dagger of Amon Ra) and had a blast playing through them this weekend. There was a lot of classic Sierra frustration but the clue gathering & sheer nostalgia of going through them again won the day.

Are there any similar newish games that strike the same murder-mystery gameplay as those games?

I haven't played Laura Bows but Frogware's Sherlock Holmes games are pretty good murder mysteries/detective games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Magical gear isn't very common early on either, although you'll be swimming in it by the second game. It can get a little troublesome since IIRC non-magical metal weapons can break in BG1 due to the ongoing iron crisis.
I read "iron crisis" as "irony crisis" and had a good Chuckle thinking about Sarevok scrying with a crystall ball and when one of his friends asks what he was looking at he says "orb" and the guy replies "tane" and the scene cuts as they all laugh

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

So GOG has their "Spring Sale" going on.

It's funny because none of the (older) games on my wishlist are on sale.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Bruteman posted:

Me too. In fact due to my country's poor life choices, everything I want is about 10p more now.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bruteman posted:

Oh god no. Someone please take my credit card away from me.

Wait poo poo my info is saved on their site! NNNOOOOOOoooooo.....

Angry Lobster posted:

Baldur' Gate 1 is fairly open and if you don't know what you're doing or you aren't spoiling yourself, you will feel lost but it's normal for a first time, just keep exploring. Also, low level D&D 2ed combat sucks.

Alright, I'm sticking with it and not going to treat it as a 100% game experience. I ditched the necromancer and his dwarf partner because they were really loving weak, and picked up a monk and the brain damaged ranger with the hamster. I'm gonna see about figuring out my equipment situation and maybe heading back to the previous town to try some more quests.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Keep that brain damaged ranger with the hamster forever for the love of god.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

GreenNight posted:

GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Jamesman posted:

Alright, I'm sticking with it and not going to treat it as a 100% game experience. I ditched the necromancer and his dwarf partner because they were really loving weak, and picked up a monk and the brain damaged ranger with the hamster. I'm gonna see about figuring out my equipment situation and maybe heading back to the previous town to try some more quests.

Do you have a proper cleric in your group yet? I remember my battles being pretty divided between total victory or total failure until I got to the petrified sideshow at the Nashkel fair.

The Friendly Arm inn-keep is also big enough to house a couple of fairly low-intensity tasks. Did you bother the people in the rooms?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Do this, he's a straight up murder machine.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Do this, he's a straight up murder machine.

Bad/controversial opinion: Minsc isn't very good and gets grating and there are better characters to take instead of him.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Trap Dyanahier in a house that you'll never enter again so you can keep Edwin with Minsc.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

6 custom characters is the only way to play bg

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The most boring way.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Jamesman posted:

Sometimes you can find crazy poo poo in pretty normal places, mash that alt button to highlight loot. Hint: In the town of Nashkell, go to to bottom part of the map, near a lonely there's a plowed, around that zone you can find a really good item iirc.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GreenNight posted:

The most boring way.
Developing your own personalised wacky characters and watching them grow under your inept command until they blossom and become your true children and do you proud
VS
listening to Bioware NPCs say "I am developmentally stunted and have a hamster lol" or "I don't have wings :(" for 100 hours

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
People play Baldur's Gate with a party? Solo or bust.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just make the most overpowered party in chargen you can imagine. Like, 6 Archers or something, and then mow through everything except werewolves and skeletons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Bruteman posted:

Same, really.

Except for Beyond Good & Evil (which I read is very underrated, but never actually played it myself)
And the first Crysis, which I own in Steam, but supposedly GOG has a better version (?), according to one review in the store page.

But I am not going to play either, not for a long, long, yep very long time, so... eh.