Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

I love cats posted:

Six months ago when RX480 was released, AMD touted that 1080p gaming is where it is at, and buying that, you buy into the future.

Theris posted:

There's no contradiction because the 480 and R7 are aimed at different market segments. I'm sure AMD would love if you bought an R7 and paired it with a 480 but basically no one is doing that, they aren't "just eating that poo poo up," they're getting 1070s and 1080s like anyone sane would if they're spending that much on a CPU and plan to use it for gaming.

I'm going to be gaming on a 1700 with a GTX 950. I cannot afford to upgrade my GPU for fun while upgrading my CPU for work. Also Linux not Windows. My experience won't be any worse than it is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Measly found a way to bottleneck a 1700 at 1080p everybody.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I am curious what the price delta between the cheapest Naples chip and maybe a 1700/X for home use.

Related: because they're all on the same package, does it all have to come from a single wafer, or are they put together after getting cut from wafers?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NewFatMike posted:

I am curious what the price delta between the cheapest Naples chip and maybe a 1700/X for home use.

approximately one human kidney

edit: good news though, you probably have two

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

With regards to Naples.

8 channel memory (16 DIMMs per board) and 128 lanes for a 32c/64t MCM SoC sounds pretty beefy.

The interesting part though, is here I think.

Essentially, this tells us that the dual socket implementation (on the high core part of the market) will also have 128 lanes available for the board, with half of the lanes in each chip going to the "fabric" interconnect. I'm wondering how well this is going to work, especially due to the master/slave mentality that has been used in dual socket boards in the past.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Still hoping for low clocked opterons to hit at decent prices. AMD's done it before, they should do it again.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

They should. The die size would still give them big margins, even after the intel tax is applied.

Btw..an older photo of a Naples engineering board.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10581/early-amd-zen-server-cpu-and-motherboard-details-codename-naples-32cores-dual-socket-platforms-q2-2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Arzachel posted:

Seems like that chart was made using XFR, manual undervolting might yield better results. Sadly Raven Ridge tops out at 4 cores so I doubt we'll see laptop octas until Zen+.

Just put the desktop chips in and power limit them. If it does use that little power at 3GHz or so it would be a fine workstation laptop chip as is.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 7, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

official AMD slide from the Polaris launch last june :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames
May 9, 2009

some guy found an overclocking bug where the CPU comes out of sleep with 4.2 Ghz instead of 4.0 Ghz on all cores. Memory latency is down too. If it's fake then he went through a good amount of effort to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S93asfXAu9M

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

eames posted:

official AMD slide from the Polaris launch last june :v:

Data is not the same thing as insight. This is so loving stupid.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Remember that like 70%+ of all Steam systems are either ancient (pre-DX12) or integrated graphics or both lol

Laptops, as everywhere, are totally dominant in percent terms.

Last time I checked the most common resolution on Steam was 1366x768... By a decent bit

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 7, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Dante80 posted:

They should. The die size would still give them big margins, even after the intel tax is applied.

Btw..an older photo of a Naples engineering board.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10581/early-amd-zen-server-cpu-and-motherboard-details-codename-naples-32cores-dual-socket-platforms-q2-2017

Good-loving-lord... At least they added in the capability for an extra like 225 W per CPU there :v: and they added buttons on the board for the front buttons. It'd actually be kinda nice to have those on regular motherboards too...

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

eames posted:

some guy found an overclocking bug where the CPU comes out of sleep with 4.2 Ghz instead of 4.0 Ghz on all cores. Memory latency is down too. If it's fake then he went through a good amount of effort to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S93asfXAu9M

So wait, is there possibly some fuckery with Windows 10 itself limiting Ryzen overclocking? LMAO if true, jesus christ AMD please talk to at least goddamn Microsoft of all loving entities before release next time. We could literally see a 15-20% increase in performance from release to the end of the year and it's all because AMD YOLO'ed the release.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

FaustianQ posted:

So wait, is there possibly some fuckery with Windows 10 itself limiting Ryzen overclocking? LMAO if true, jesus christ AMD please talk to at least goddamn Microsoft of all loving entities before release next time. We could literally see a 15-20% increase in performance from release to the end of the year and it's all because AMD YOLO'ed the release.

This optimism is unsettling

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

FaustianQ posted:

Probably a timer bug of some sort.

eames
May 9, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

I haven't compared the actual numbers but my feeling is that it has something to do with him running the "balanced" power profile. Pretty strange anyway, his evidence seems believable. /r/amd is going to have a field day with this.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Data is not the same thing as insight. This is so loving stupid.

It's a perfect example of how PR departments spin data to suit their agenda. The CPU team wants me to believe that 1080p is obsolete, GPU team wants me to believe that nobody has a 1440p screen.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Good-loving-lord... At least they added in the capability for an extra like 225 W per CPU there :v: and they added buttons on the board for the front buttons. It'd actually be kinda nice to have those on regular motherboards too...

A more refined, closer to product board here.

No southbridge in sight pretty much confirms the semi-SoC design.

And some basic marketing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN93G6Rg2ek

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 7, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Why he had to do a 30min video about it? Couldn't he say the same thing in a minute or two?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Truga posted:

Still hoping for low clocked opterons to hit at decent prices. AMD's done it before, they should do it again.

If they do, it won't be these 4-module 32 core behemoths. If you take a look at Intel's E5 v4 pricing here at Anandtech, the cheapest 16 core Xeons are $1800 and those are clocked at only 2.1 GHz.

I don't see any way that the cheapest full 32 core Naples are any cheaper than 4x the price of an R7 1700, so $1200 minimum.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't see any way that the cheapest full 32 core Naples are any cheaper than 4x the price of an R7 1700, so $1200 minimum.

There is no way they don't sell this at $4K+. And that is still half price from last years' big E5.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

This optimism is unsettling

No, no, I'm thinking of within a gaming context mostly, I doubt you'd see something as large as even a 5% increase in synthetics or productivity except in memory intensive applications. If clocks are being held back, combined with the scheduler and memory issues and maybe optimization issues inside game engines, it's possible you'd see a combined 15-20% increase in Ryzen performance at years end. Like I'm not trying to spread hope or FUD, we've already seen that Ryzen in productivity and synthetics come really drat close to the 6900K and 6950X, yet when looking at gaming clock for clock it's some 25% behind. AMD themselves I think said Ryzen is 8% slower than Kabylake IPC so again, 15-20% isn't impossible depending on scenario.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Dante80 posted:

There is no way they don't sell this at $4K+. And that is still half price from last years' big E5.

You've gotta be thinking the quad-socket E7s, right? Does quad socket E5 exist? The most expensive intel dual-socket E5 is $4115 list price I thought, with 44 threads at 2.2 GHz.

Edit: It's all about clock scaling, how much do you think they could really get for a 1.6-1.8 GHz 32 core chip?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Microcenter price drops: 1700x WOF: $349 compared to 1700: $329

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

Does quad socket E5 exist? The most expensive intel dual-socket E5 is $4115 list price I thought, with 44 threads at 2.2 GHz.

Yes, and you are right, I was thinking of something like the E5-4669. That is a quad for $7k.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Dante80 posted:

Yes, and you are right, I was thinking of something like the E5-4669.

Well you opened my eyes, I had no idea that quad socket E5s were a thing. Intel really rolls out the "gently caress you" pricing if you need more than 2 CPUs in a board.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The power/reset buttons on the board are actually a pretty common feature on good consumer boards, both my current(ASRock Z97 Extreme4) and previous(EVGA Z68 FTW) mobos have them, it's especially useful if you are using the board on a test bed.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

Well you opened my eyes, I had no idea that quad socket E5s were a thing. Intel really rolls out the "gently caress you" pricing if you need more than 2 CPUs in a board.

Now, regarding frequency. If the Zen performance sweetspot indeed rests somewhere around 35watts, then we could do a rough extrapolation for the Naples chip (a reminder, the all core TDP for a 3050Mhz 1700 sits at 65watts).

A 180watt TDP has been leaked some months ago for the high end CPU. This would put each CCX at around 35watts, and I am adding 10watts (per) for the bigger memory channels, the fabric, the more lanes and maybe some die space for more instructions.

This would give us a working frequency between 2.0Ghz and 2.2Ghz for the part, or even more. Of course, take my napkin assumption with a grain of salt.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 7, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

silicon lottery released their Ryzen binning statistics

Ryzen 7 1700
93% reach 3.8GHz @ 1.376V
70% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.408V
20% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.440V

Ryzen 7 1700X
100% reach 3.8GHz @ 1.360V
77% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.392V
33% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.424V

Ryzen 7 1800X
100% reach 3.8GHz (assumed)
97% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.376V
67% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.408V
20% reach 4.1GHz @ 1.440V

Note:
Their test setup used the Realbench stress test for 1 hour on an Asus Crosshair VI, cooled by a Corsair H105 with 2 X 8GB of 2400MHz CL15 RAM.

source

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

eames posted:

silicon lottery released their Ryzen binning statistics

Ryzen 7 1700
93% reach 3.8GHz @ 1.376V
70% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.408V
20% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.440V

Ryzen 7 1700X
100% reach 3.8GHz @ 1.360V
77% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.392V
33% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.424V

Ryzen 7 1800X
100% reach 3.8GHz (assumed)
97% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.376V
67% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.408V
20% reach 4.1GHz @ 1.440V

Note:
Their test setup used the Realbench stress test for 1 hour on an Asus Crosshair VI, cooled by a Corsair H105 with 2 X 8GB of 2400MHz CL15 RAM.

source

This is pretty rough, looks like with this first stepping and release motherboards you're pretty much best off just leaving them at stock. It's hardly worth going through effort for 200 Mhz.

eames
May 9, 2009

yeah, the more I learn about Ryzen the more it looks like a very efficient server CPU/mobile APU architecture with solid Desktop/HEDT performance as an afterthought.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

It's a shame that server vendors and the people who buy full-priced HP / Dell servers are so conservative. Does anybody have expectations for the Amazon / Google / Facebook / Microsoft / Rackspaces of the world? Will they be willing to hop to a new, unproven platform to save money?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Twerk from Home posted:

If they do, it won't be these 4-module 32 core behemoths. If you take a look at Intel's E5 v4 pricing here at Anandtech, the cheapest 16 core Xeons are $1800 and those are clocked at only 2.1 GHz.

When I was buying my 2GHz 8-core brand new opterons for $250 a pop, 8 core xeons cost upwards of 2000 for the same frequency, less IPC and more wattage. If I can score 16 core 2ghz opterons for $500 this time around, I'll be pretty drat smug. Plus, twice the threads this time, too, and shitloads more ram, which is the issue I'm currently starting to hit.

The 32 core ones we won't see outside of HPC for a while anyway is my bet, I'm giving it a 90% chance they're backordered to gently caress, at least the APU ones.

Truga fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 7, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Twerk from Home posted:

It's a shame that server vendors and the people who buy full-priced HP / Dell servers are so conservative. Does anybody have expectations for the Amazon / Google / Facebook / Microsoft / Rackspaces of the world? Will they be willing to hop to a new, unproven platform to save money?

I think they will wait at least a few months for the kinks to work themselves out and then if they are considering it they will roll out some smaller scale datacenters before making larger purchases. It really depends on the people in charge though.

eames
May 9, 2009

"Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM Intel.*"

I believe AMD will need a very convincing product like the multicore Zen+Vega+HBM APUs to get people to switch to such a new and unproven platform. Either that or incredible value that's far too good to pass up. "10% better at the same price" certainly won't do but AMD knows that.

* unless he's the poor chap who bought C2000 series Atoms.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Also when you're at the level of Google / Facebook / Microsoft you're designing your own platform and form factor, not racking HP 2U servers for a standard hot aisle / cold aisle configuration.

Edit:

eames posted:

"Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM Intel.*"

I believe AMD will need a very convincing product like the multicore Zen+Vega+HBM APUs to get people to switch to such a new and unproven platform. Either that or incredible value that's far too good to pass up. "10% better at the same price" certainly won't do but AMD knows that.

* unless he's the poor chap who bought C2000 series Atoms.
Yeah for the players who buy in mega-bulk, AMD will need to prove reliability and show a significant performance-per-watt advantage.

Also it's worth noting those companies have probably put some time into Intel compiler optimizations.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 7, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Rastor posted:

Also when you're at the level of Google / Facebook / Microsoft you're designing your own platform and form factor, not racking HP 2U servers for a standard hot aisle / cold aisle configuration.

That's why I was curious, because I know they're not buying servers from the full-service vendors but spinning their own semi-custom infrastructure design. Seems like at the scale they operate, the cost savings could be enormous.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ihmemies posted:

Why he had to do a 30min video about it? Couldn't he say the same thing in a minute or two?

Gotta rake in those Youtube Red dollars to keep the company in the black, don'tcha know. TotalBiscuit rakes in the dough with that poo poo! :v:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Gotta rake in those Youtube Red dollars to keep the company in the black, don'tcha know. TotalBiscuit rakes in the dough with that poo poo! :v:

You should see game explain, they're absurd with that. Nintendo released a minute and a half trailer? Forty minute discussion "analyzing" it.

Brevity is the soul of wit :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Also, looking over what has been shown thus far: No HBM. =T

I guess they're reserving that strictly for their HPC APUs.

• Locked thread