Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I'm actually a little disappointed about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Poor Nikon is not doing so well. I hope the restructuring can make em profitable again.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
#MakeNikonGreatAgain

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

powderific posted:

Poor Nikon is not doing so well. I hope the restructuring can make em profitable again.

The compacts were a nice idea, but not a great one. There only seem to be a couple of them that actually make a difference in the market. Sucks that they're in this position on their anniversary, though.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Saying they're going for profit enhancement over growth is a nice way of saying cutting costs, but they've been trying to cut for a while via feature rationing and stuff like that. Hard to envision how doing more of the same is going to fix their problems. Hope they do, though, the DR of the sensors, especially in shadows, is ultimately what sold me over Canon.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

maybe if we all buy their action camera, we can turn this ship around

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On the bright side they're still in the middle of restructuring so we're probably not gonna see the results of the new Nikon for a while. And the profit enhancement is across their whole business—a huge part of it looks like it's happening in the semiconductor lithography division. Some of the profit enhancement could be ditching dumb attempts at getting into new markets like action cameras. I dunno that it necessarily means doing more things like cutting software features out of the D3xxx series or whatever.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Things are not looking good. :(

That 18-50 DL was going to be great. Christ.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The whole action camera segment seems to be slowing down. GoPro is in some trouble, too. So yeah, bad time to introduce something like that to market, especially when it's the centerpiece of your advertising for a quarter around the holiday season.

But... I am kind of interested in the KeyMission 360. One of the higher-ups at my workplace has a thing for 360º cameras for documentation, and since a lot of my workplace is underwater, it seems like the right tool for the job.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As someone who jumped into Nikon relatively recently: the company's product line is super confusing, lens compatibility is super confusing, you have to constantly reference things just to buy a thing. I bet Nikon could double its sales by rationalizing its product naming and standardizing its lense technology.

Every canon lens mounts to every canon camera and works, since like the 1970s.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Leperflesh posted:

pretty sure this isn't true

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the opposite is true. All nikon lenses share the same mount but there are a bunch of gotchas like autofocus might not work, aperture coupling might not work, and metering might not work, all depending on how "pro" your body is. But they will all mount (with the exception of some rare pre-AI lenses that will damage your mirror)

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Karl Barks posted:

pretty sure this isn't true

EF mount didn't exist until 1987, so yes, not true. But every EF mount lens will mount on every EF & EF-S camera with full functionality (except the new 70-300 with the lcd panel, I guess the lcd doesn't come on with old film cameras)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Leperflesh posted:

I think Pentax is probably what you're thinking of here

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Plus there's the whole thing where EF-s lenses (he Canon equivalent of DX) won't mount of full frame EF-mount Canon cameras. With Nikon, DX lenses will mount on FX bodies, their image circles just won't cover the full sensor.

And Canon's manual focus mount cameras and lenses are completely incompatible with EF/-s cameras and lenses. And there are even compatibility breaks and different mount schemes going back into the earlier history of the manual focus SLR cameras. Canon probably has the least amount of system comparability among all the major SLR makers.

Pentax might be the most compatible over time, but even they had a switch up in mount scheme going from m42 to K bayonet mount.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 16, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welp. I guess I've been grossly misinformed! Thanks for the info. I read ages ago that beginning with their first AE-1 camera, canon had standardized, but I guess that isn't true (anymore?).

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Welp. I guess I've been grossly misinformed! Thanks for the info. I read ages ago that beginning with their first AE-1 camera, canon had standardized, but I guess that isn't true (anymore?).

the AE-1 (and a billion other models) was FD mount (Canon manual focus)

Canon started over with a new electronic mount for autofocus, EF mount. The EOS 620 (1987) was the first of those cameras, and it's what they use now. This means two things (one is sort of what you were getting at)

A) Every EF mount lens works on every EF mount camera, with full functionality (even new functions like IS) except for the 70-300 that just came out which has an LCD screen that doesn't work on old cameras

B) Canon FD manual focus lenses can't be used on Canon EF cameras (there are adapters, but they either lose infinity focus , or have lovely glass that makes them worse and maintain infinity focus) due to the shorter flange focal distance of FD mount.

I think what you were getting at is that it's easier to know your EF lens will work on any EF camera, as opposed to Nikon where the mount is all the same (so they fit), but different cameras can or can't AF a certain lens, or can/can't meter with a certain lens (and new electronic aperture lenses can't be used on old cameras at all)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Just don't confuse EF-s and EF; the former only works or mounts on Canon cameras with APS-C sensors.

Going back to the early days, Canon had three successive generations of breach-mount lenses the R, then the FL, and finally the FD. Then they switched to New FD, which was a bayonet mount. There were some compatibility and functionality breaks between the mount types, so unlike, say, Minolta (the first company to ditch its manual focus lineup, fully break compatibility and go all-in on electronically controlled AF lenses a la Canon EF), you can't even trust that all of the old Canon manual focus lenses will work with all of the old bodies.

With Nikon, the F mount maintained its essential shape from the first Nikon F to the latest D5. The gotcha is that Nikon implemented a lot of features over the years that weren't backwards- or cross-compatible between cameras of different generations (or price points). Manual to automatic aperture indexing and in-body to in-lens autofocus drive are the two big lurches forward that Nikon made, and while all lenses mount and work on all bodies, there is some functionality lost across those divides.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Just don't confuse EF-s and EF; the former only works or mounts on Canon cameras with APS-C sensors.

Going back to the early days, Canon had three successive generations of breach-mount lenses the R, then the FL, and finally the FD. Then they switched to New FD, which was a bayonet mount. There were some compatibility and functionality breaks between the mount types, so unlike, say, Minolta (the first company to ditch its manual focus lineup, fully break compatibility and go all-in on electronically controlled AF lenses a la Canon EF), you can't even trust that all of the old Canon manual focus lenses will work with all of the old bodies.

With Nikon, the F mount maintained its essential shape from the first Nikon F to the latest D5. The gotcha is that Nikon implemented a lot of features over the years that weren't backwards- or cross-compatible between cameras of different generations (or price points). Manual to automatic aperture indexing and in-body to in-lens autofocus drive are the two big lurches forward that Nikon made, and while all lenses mount and work on all bodies, there is some functionality lost across those divides.

Yeah, I doubt anyone who didn't know what they were getting into would buy an R or FL mount body though.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
OK, lens question.

I'm going to be traveling in a couple of weeks, and I'm going to be doing some serious landscape photography while I'm out there. My primary body is a D800, and I have a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 which I use for most mid-range things and don't want to switch to primes (which I feel like I won't while hiking about, generally). I want to get a longer-range zoom as well, and will likely rent one off of LensRentals. But which one? I'm looking at the Nikon 70-200 f2/8 VR II and the Nikon 70-200 f4 VR. For landscape use I can't imagine I'd really miss the stop difference between the 2.8 and the 4, but I've read the 4 has some serious distortion. Should I worry about it?

On that note, am I missing a trick by not having a Sigma 24-105 f4 Art? It seems like an ideal walkabout travel/landscape lens. Is it as good as the hype? My Tamron does like to get a bit soft sometimes. Of course the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art got announced today, but there's no way I'd get hands on in time for this trip, if I wanted to.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
I have the Nikon 70-200 f4 on a D810 and have been satisfied. Lightroom will fix most of the distortion automatically, and if the f4 isn't fast enough for you, you always could use a tripod for landscapes.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I've got a new gen 2 tamron 70-200 f2.8 on order .. loads cheaper than the Nikon 70-200 and hopefully quality is great.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I've got a new gen 2 tamron 70-200 f2.8 on order .. loads cheaper than the Nikon 70-200 and hopefully quality is great.

I rented one once and it was great.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Fingers McGee posted:

I rented one once and it was great.

Yeah the gen 1 was good this one is supposed to be even better. I'll do a trip report if anyone is interested once it's received.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
is sb-800 good flash to go with my N90s

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

I don't think N90/F90 series are capable of using any of the automatic features on the modern flash units.
Get an SB-28 instead if you want to be sure.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

The 800 manual will have info about compatibility with older equipment

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Shrieking Muppet posted:

The 800 manual will have info about compatibility with older equipment

apparently it can use everything except "i-TTL" and the "Nikon Creative Lighting System" which seems fine because I have no idea what the gently caress either of those are

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I used the 80DX on the N90s, zoom head worked, TTL, matrix TTL fill etc. I think the only thing the new flashes dropped was thyristor ("auto") support.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Startyde posted:

I used the 80DX on the N90s, zoom head worked, TTL, matrix TTL fill etc. I think the only thing the new flashes dropped was thyristor ("auto") support.

:shrug:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
FYI B&H has the new Tammy 70-200 G2 in stock in F mount. For some reason it took a lot longer than the Canon mount to come in stock.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Got back from vacation and discovered that every photo I took was saved as JPEG (Normal) instead of RAW, since Nikon reset my camera settings when I sent it in and I misread the settings when I looked.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

borkencode posted:

Got back from vacation and discovered that every photo I took was saved as JPEG (Normal) instead of RAW, since Nikon reset my camera settings when I sent it in and I misread the settings when I looked.

Wow, that sucks. Were you not tipped off by the estimated remaining shots being so much higher?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Wow, that sucks. Were you not tipped off by the estimated remaining shots being so much higher?

I thought it seemed high, but I'd put two 32gb cards in there, which I don't usually do, plus I hadn't really used it in a while.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

borkencode posted:

Aw poo poo that sucks. :(

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Tamron 70-200 G2 arrived today, much heavier than expected. Feels like it is built well, zoom ring is a bit tight but manual focus ring is smooth as butter.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Tamron 70-200 G2 arrived today, much heavier than expected. Feels like it is built well, zoom ring is a bit tight but manual focus ring is smooth as butter.

Can you post a mini review after you've lived with it a bit? I'm thinking of getting a 70-200 and I am genuinely curious to how the tamron stacks up to sigmas offerings.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
x-posting from canon thread, I hope this isn't offensive, I love my Nikon and its lenses but I need a full frame camera and since I'm more familiar w/ canon I have to go with that.

Anyways, here is my question that maybe you guys have some ideas or advice. Like if there is a canon-> nikon equivalent, i.e., the brand name that's good at doing it.

quote:

The nikon-> canon lens adapters all have lovely reviews (except ones that are like $200). The main thing they complain about is that they're impossible to remove and/or get stuck to the camera. Some people said they bought an adapter for every lens, but the ones with the better reviews are still $60 and I have 3 Nikon lenses so that's super expensive to buy 3 adapters for $60.

e: oh and I'm going to repost the Nikon lenses I have

quote:

AF-S DX NIKKOR 180-140 mm f/3.5G-5.6G ED VR"

AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED"

and what I think is the default lens cause I don't have a box for it, the lens says Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:2.5-5.6G

Pls to help.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 8, 2017

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Thin Privilege posted:

x-posting from canon thread, I hope this isn't offensive, I love my Nikon and its lenses but I need a full frame camera and since I'm more familiar w/ canon I have to go with that.

Anyways, here is my question that maybe you guys have some ideas or advice. Like if there is a canon-> nikon equivalent, i.e., the brand name that's good at doing it.

e: oh and I'm going to repost the Nikon lenses I have

Pls to help.

these are all APS-C lenses btw, and will be mostly useless on a FF camera unless you feel like cropping half the photo away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So wait, you are buying a full frame canon and want to put your Nikon lenses on it?

Don't. As mentioned above, they're designed for APS-C (less than full frame sensors). And, no offense, but those lenses aren't anything special.