Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

bull3964 posted:

G+ is the only social network my immediate group of friends use to plan anything.

Barring that, it's group Hangouts chats.

So, what I'm saying is, Google is poised to kill my social life.

friends, like apps, are transitive in this day and age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone know how to get the unread Messages number to disappear in Action Launcher? Mine says I have 4 unread messages, but I definitely... don't. Power cycled and trashed the shortcut then remade it, didn't help. I know I can change the setting where it just won't show it at all, but I do like having the number there when I have unread messages.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Does anyone know how to get the unread Messages number to disappear in Action Launcher? Mine says I have 4 unread messages, but I definitely... don't. Power cycled and trashed the shortcut then remade it, didn't help. I know I can change the setting where it just won't show it at all, but I do like having the number there when I have unread messages.

Just assume that 5=1, 6=2, etc. Do I have to think of everything?

Alternatively, switch messaging apps to a different one and check that they're all read and accounted for then switch back to your preferred one. If that doesn't fix it, it's an Action Launcher problem.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

What's a good weather radar app? I have weather timeline, but don't really care for its radar that doesn't seem to differentiate between rain and snow.

Well, if you want actual weather radar, you want RadarScope, that'll actually feed you the real radar vector data and render it out.

If you just want to look at radar overlays, I like Storm.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Just assume that 5=1, 6=2, etc. Do I have to think of everything?

Alternatively, switch messaging apps to a different one and check that they're all read and accounted for then switch back to your preferred one. If that doesn't fix it, it's an Action Launcher problem.

Lol I've been doing that for four days now!

Can you give me a quick explanation of how to switch my messaging app? I just tried real quick through settings->apps but I didn't see that option?

It seems to just be increasing and not resetting once the message is read, now it's at 5 unread messages :psyduck:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Lol I've been doing that for four days now!

Can you give me a quick explanation of how to switch my messaging app? I just tried real quick through settings->apps but I didn't see that option?

It seems to just be increasing and not resetting once the message is read, now it's at 5 unread messages :psyduck:

What app are you using now? Basically just use a different app. So if you use Messages (the stock Google app), go into Hangouts and enable SMS there. Or download an SMS app like Textra (...or... something, I can't remember any other third party SMS apps). Just open and run any other SMS app and let it take over, open it up and verify the data is correct, then do the same for your preferred SMS app.

The way SMS on Android works is pretty simple to understand. Basically there's something called the SMS Store that sits behind the scenes and is a repository for the messages and their statuses. There is one app that the user can designate to control it. In Nougat, you can see the app responsible for this under Settings > Apps [Gear symbol], SMS App. Clicking it will show you all apps that can manage SMS, but I wouldn't use that to select another app to fix your problem.

Your problem is that sometimes other apps views the SMS Store to get information, in this case Action Launcher to retrieve the number of unread messages, but the app managing the Store hasn't updated it yet. Or it can be the other way around, the manager did update it but the viewer is remembering a past state and hasn't gone back to verify. Either way one of the apps is only checking the Store periodically then keeping an internal tally of changes before writing the information to the repository which causes a discrepancy between what apps believe the record is. The problem is that it could be your SMS app that's doing this or the launcher or both but I suspect it's the SMS app. Switching to another app and switching back will fix this.

By the way this is the same thing that causes stuff like threads to get out of sync when you use apps like Mighty Text or Join to SMS from your PC. You'll send the SMSs and they are sent by the system but your SMS app has no way to know the Store updated so the texts don't appear in the thread until the next time the app has to read from it. Some apps do a better job of verifying their tally of SMS threads than others (like Hangouts frequently loses remotely sent SMS but Messages updates them on next run). it used to be that I used an unread SMS counter app and remotely sent and received SMSs would never reset the counter until I switched SMS apps out. They'd simply never clear the counter without doing so. I just eventually decided I'd rather have remote SMS more than a counter for unread SMS and got rid of the counter and now it's not a problem.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LastInLine posted:

What app are you using now? Basically just use a different app. So if you use Messages (the stock Google app), go into Hangouts and enable SMS there. Or download an SMS app like Textra (...or... something, I can't remember any other third party SMS apps). Just open and run any other SMS app and let it take over, open it up and verify the data is correct, then do the same for your preferred SMS app.

The way SMS on Android works is pretty simple to understand. Basically there's something called the SMS Store that sits behind the scenes and is a repository for the messages and their statuses. There is one app that the user can designate to control it. In Nougat, you can see the app responsible for this under Settings > Apps [Gear symbol], SMS App. Clicking it will show you all apps that can manage SMS, but I wouldn't use that to select another app to fix your problem.

Your problem is that sometimes other apps views the SMS Store to get information, in this case Action Launcher to retrieve the number of unread messages, but the app managing the Store hasn't updated it yet. Or it can be the other way around, the manager did update it but the viewer is remembering a past state and hasn't gone back to verify. Either way one of the apps is only checking the Store periodically then keeping an internal tally of changes before writing the information to the repository which causes a discrepancy between what apps believe the record is. The problem is that it could be your SMS app that's doing this or the launcher or both but I suspect it's the SMS app. Switching to another app and switching back will fix this.

By the way this is the same thing that causes stuff like threads to get out of sync when you use apps like Mighty Text or Join to SMS from your PC. You'll send the SMSs and they are sent by the system but your SMS app has no way to know the Store updated so the texts don't appear in the thread until the next time the app has to read from it. Some apps do a better job of verifying their tally of SMS threads than others (like Hangouts frequently loses remotely sent SMS but Messages updates them on next run). it used to be that I used an unread SMS counter app and remotely sent and received SMSs would never reset the counter until I switched SMS apps out. They'd simply never clear the counter without doing so. I just eventually decided I'd rather have remote SMS more than a counter for unread SMS and got rid of the counter and now it's not a problem.

Tried switching to Hangouts then back, it reduced the unread number from 6 to 3 which is good I guess? But now my phone isn't using Messages as my default SMS app, it's using Hangouts. And I don't want that. Just tried power cycling the phone, Hangouts said SMS was disabled so I enabled it then disabled it again, still getting SMS sent to Hangouts. Help?

Tried going in to my apps settings and setting the app responsible for SMS to Messages, it was already set to it. Literally all my texts are still going to Hangouts. What the gently caress.

Fake edit: Sorry, having a really lovely morning. Thank you for your post. I just now have two errors as opposed to one.

Real edit: Fixed the Hangouts problem. I sent Action Launcher an email to see if they can help. Thanks again, sorry for being a douche.

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 3, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm guessing you figured out that all you have to do make Messages the SMS is to open it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing you figured out that all you have to do make Messages the SMS is to open it.

Nope, I had to go in to Hangouts via my PC and completely disable SMS capabilities. I think I tried every permutation of turning on/off Messages and Hangouts from my phone and nothing worked, had to go to the PC! Couldn't tell you why, though.

It seems as if Action Launcher is just not resetting/decreasing the number of unread notifications on the icon, since it displayed 3, I got a text, displayed 4, read the text, still displayed a 4. :shrug:

Might be a file somewhere I can look at in my File Explorer, but that'll have to be later tonight.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Nope, I had to go in to Hangouts via my PC and completely disable SMS capabilities. I think I tried every permutation of turning on/off Messages and Hangouts from my phone and nothing worked, had to go to the PC! Couldn't tell you why, though.

It seems as if Action Launcher is just not resetting/decreasing the number of unread notifications on the icon, since it displayed 3, I got a text, displayed 4, read the text, still displayed a 4. :shrug:

Might be a file somewhere I can look at in my File Explorer, but that'll have to be later tonight.

To be fair, AL's unread badges are still in the alpha stage. Chris Lacy (AL dev) has always been against adding them, but only did so after years of people badgering him and leaving poor reviews due to their absence.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

XIII posted:

To be fair, AL's unread badges are still in the alpha stage. Chris Lacy (AL dev) has always been against adding them, but only did so after years of people badgering him and leaving poor reviews due to their absence.

Haha yeah, when I went into my settings and saw the "Unred badges ALPHA" I was like hmmm, forgot this was an incomplete feature!

I've just turned them off right now, no biggie. We'll see if they get around to my bug report email. Not a big whoop if they don't.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Johnny Truant posted:

Are you going on Project Fi? That ties into Hangouts in weird way and you need to go through additional steps to switch apps.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Uthor posted:

Are you going on Project Fi? That ties into Hangouts in weird way and you need to go through additional steps to switch apps.

Yeah that option is only for either Fi users or Google Voice SMS which doesn't use the Android SMS Store. Both cases would be weird compared to how normal SMS works.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey so I use Podcast Addict, and at some point in the past it updated to a point where its lockscreen notification widget thing doesn't have any controls on it; it just says "Contents hidden." This means that if I'm listening to a podcast and my phone is idle, and I have to pause playback for whatever reason -- someone wants to talk to me, say for example, I have to unlock my phone and draw my little shape correctly before I can do it. This wasn't the case before some update changed it for whatever reason, meaning that theoretically there must be some setting to make the lockscreen widget usable again. But I've looked and for the life of me I cannot find one.

Does anyone know what this setting might be, or am I just kind of stuck with this now?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

loquacius posted:

Hey so I use Podcast Addict, and at some point in the past it updated to a point where its lockscreen notification widget thing doesn't have any controls on it; it just says "Contents hidden." This means that if I'm listening to a podcast and my phone is idle, and I have to pause playback for whatever reason -- someone wants to talk to me, say for example, I have to unlock my phone and draw my little shape correctly before I can do it. This wasn't the case before some update changed it for whatever reason, meaning that theoretically there must be some setting to make the lockscreen widget usable again. But I've looked and for the life of me I cannot find one.

Does anyone know what this setting might be, or am I just kind of stuck with this now?

What phone do you have? There is a setting that determines what content is visible in notifications on the lock screen, which is exactly what you're talking about, but the location of this setting varies by phone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

What phone do you have? There is a setting that determines what content is visible in notifications on the lock screen, which is exactly what you're talking about, but the location of this setting varies by phone.

Huh. Yeah, never thought to check device settings for this (I went all the way through Podcast Addict's internal settings and came up with nothing), but I was eventually able to find it (Galaxy S6 Active; Settings>Device>Notifications>Advanced) and it works fine now. Thanks!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

LastInLine posted:

What's wrong with AMP pages? Are you that guilty about abetting Google's theft of their ad dollars?

For me it always seems opening any amp page means there's a good chance I'm going to be served a full screen popup about how my phone is infected.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I like amp pages outside of their mangled URLs but I block ads as well

They usually load almost immediately and significantly clean up the appearance and improve readability

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I use reminders through the assistant pretty regularly -- for example: "remind me to call so and so tomorrow morning". The default calendar agenda widget shows them but it ugly as sin. The Today widget looks nice but doesn't show reminders in line with calendar items. Is there a widget folks can recommend? Is there an app in general that works well with Google assistant's "remind me" feature? Keep doesn't seem to do this.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I've been looking for ages and from what I've read on widget developer sites the reminders API is either lovely or incomplete so they can't get them out. Mind you if anyone knows a widget that works I would love to be wrong!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I use reminders through the assistant pretty regularly -- for example: "remind me to call so and so tomorrow morning". The default calendar agenda widget shows them but it ugly as sin. The Today widget looks nice but doesn't show reminders in line with calendar items. Is there a widget folks can recommend? Is there an app in general that works well with Google assistant's "remind me" feature? Keep doesn't seem to do this.

Inbox

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

G-Spot Run posted:

I've been looking for ages and from what I've read on widget developer sites the reminders API is either lovely or incomplete so they can't get them out. Mind you if anyone knows a widget that works I would love to be wrong!

I actually used the help chat feature and got pretty much the same answer (re: getting GA to work with Keep or other reminder apps). Submitted feedback for what its worth :effort:

Hmm this seems useful, I'll check it out. Shame I can't get my work email through this app (not going to resort to forwarding tom-foolery).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hangouts is becoming Google's Slack thingy.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Thermopyle posted:

Hangouts is becoming Google's Slack thingy.

And also a video meeting app, so we're net +1 google messaging apps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

quote:

For regular old Gmail users, when it becomes available Hangouts Chat will follow a “fremium” model — which means that anybody will be able to download and try it out, but we don’t know for sure what features will cost money.

This bothers the poo poo out of me with no context. 98% of my friend chat happens over hangouts. If they want to make stuff like rooms exclusive to business accounts, fine, but I really want more details of what this new "coherent" direction means to non-business users.

Google can't be bothered to come up with a real replacement chat service, so this might result in my communications becoming even more scattered and less accessable.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is so annoying. Stop loving this poo poo up Google. Either make Hangouts your mainstream messaging app or fix Allo. iPhone users have it so good with iMessage, I'm envious.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

SwiftKey updated the Beta keyboard a week or so back so that it no longer automatically inserts a word after you swipe it. Now it gives you three possible predictions to choose from (if the center prediction is correct, you can just keep swiping). Definitely helps offset that their prediction algorithm is the weakest of the major keyboards.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

This bothers the poo poo out of me with no context. 98% of my friend chat happens over hangouts. If they want to make stuff like rooms exclusive to business accounts, fine, but I really want more details of what this new "coherent" direction means to non-business users.

Google can't be bothered to come up with a real replacement chat service, so this might result in my communications becoming even more scattered and less accessable.

Get all your friends to move to something else that isn't controlled by Google, it's all going to die or get destroyed at some point. Whatsapp, telegram, discord, whatever. They're all good and much more reliable than anything Google will ever make.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WhatsApp is good and the only one widely used enough to have a hope in hell of getting my friends onto it. Hangouts and Allo are lost causes.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

XIII posted:

Definitely helps offset that their prediction algorithm is the weakest of the major keyboards.

Is this a swipe or beta prediction problem? Because my Swiftkey is essentially psychic at this point. It gives me partial sentences now.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Scudworth posted:

Is this a swipe or beta prediction problem? Because my Swiftkey is essentially psychic at this point. It gives me partial sentences now.

Swipe. To me, SwiftKey definitely is the best at predicting the next word(s) you're going to use, but it's swipe input algorithm has long been regarded as considerably less accurate than Swype or GBoard. This update just helps give you more options for what you might have meant, instead of going, "I bet they meant X" and moving on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't know a single person that has WhatsApp installed.

Ultimately, what will likely happen is a resurgence of SMS between all of us.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I don't know a single person that has WhatsApp installed.

Ultimately, what will likely happen is a resurgence of SMS.

Weird, almost all my friends have it, with the exception of a half dozen or so holdouts. I'm sure it's also a regional thing, some places in Europe literally everyone has it. In the Netherlands you could even add companies/stores to WhatsApp.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CLAM DOWN posted:

Weird, almost all my friends have it, with the exception of a half dozen or so holdouts. I'm sure it's also a regional thing, some places in Europe literally everyone has it. In the Netherlands you could even add companies/stores to WhatsApp.

Well it's by far more common in places where text rates are still high but data rates are cheap. Or for people who need to do a lot of messaging to other countries, which is often expensive no matter where you are if you do it by regular SMS.

For instance, a lot of my extended family only uses WhatsApp to talk with my one cousin who's on an extended trip in South America, where he doesn't even get real cell service a lot of time because of how he's traveling and where. But he can still get wifi access most nights and talk then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's just really not much of a thing in the US.

For example, only 22% of iOS users have it installed and iOS still holds significant market share in the US.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tech companies should be embarrassed about the state of messaging.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

:agreed:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

:yeah:

iMessage is really the only thing I miss between my personal and my work phone. Thankfully I don't get much texts at work.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
WhatsApp is a decent app, but the webapp is annoying to use because it has to connect to your phone. 90% of my hangouts use is on the desktop, so switching completely to WhatsApp is a little impractical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Whatsapp became insanely popular because all you have to do is install it, regardless of OS or phone manufacturer, the second you open the app any contact in your phone who has the app installed is available to message. While many competing platforms have adopted this method, for most people one messaging app everyone already has is enough, making it pretty hard for other platforms to compete.