Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Paul MaudDib posted:

Your average house circuit is 15A peak. Or, at continuous load, you can run it at 80% of its peak rating (12A). At 120V, that's 1440W continuous capacity. Boom, after an hour of gaming you pop a breaker. It really only works well for Euros who have 230V.

Not only that, the power has to go somewhere. So now you have a space heater dumping 1500W into your room nonstop.

LOL, if you're not using 45 amp breakers on your gaming rig and using a geothermal well to dump heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

osker posted:

LOL, if you're not using 45 amp breakers on your gaming rig and using a geothermal well to dump heat.

Just because you had to do that to power a Bulldozer + R9 290X build, doesn't mean your average gamer did that!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
295, you mean

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
This talk is reminding me of this video I watched the other day, check out the power draw figure at 0:56, and the GPU temp of 103°C :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V13ZGIZgYY

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 10, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Given how steeply power consumption rises with voltage/clocks, you can take a little off the per-die performance and save enough power for a few more die in the same package.

It just means you'd need some serious power delivery to OC one of those beasts.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Got my shipping notifcation from Nvidia for the GTX 1080 Ti

(But it won't arrive here until Wednesday because I chose standard shipping :gbsmith: )

At least it'll get here before Mass Effect: Andromeda's 10 hour trial.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Harik posted:

Given how steeply power consumption rises with voltage/clocks, you can take a little off the per-die performance and save enough power for a few more die in the same package.

It just means you'd need some serious power delivery to OC one of those beasts.

Yeah that's fair, you could take 25% off the clocks and drop power probably to 175-200W per die and you'd be OK on a single breaker. Still pushing it close though, you don't want lights on that circuit do you?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

89 posted:

It lags before I even play a game.

Update: I changed the refresh rate on my 4K TV from 60Hz to 50Hz and the lag was gone. Then I changed it back from 50Hz to 60Hz and it's working fine.

For now...

So, I noticed something.

I started getting lag after having a few windows up with Youtube embedded videos.

But, I changed the refresh rate from 60 to 50Hz again and everything immediately went back to normal.

Wtf?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah that's fair, you could take 25% off the clocks and drop power probably to 175-200W per die and you'd be OK on a single breaker. Still pushing it close though, you don't want lights on that circuit do you?

That's what your monitor is for, silly.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

osker posted:

I can get that by plugging in an extension cord from my bathroom and wiring it in, right?

I said, can't I just put a penny behind the fuse?

Three-Phase, arise. by the power of Nashional Elektric Code I do abjure and summon thee

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
So stock against stock the 1080ti beats out the titan by a frame or two in most situations. What about overclocked? I'd imagine it's limited by the same ceiling across all Pascal cards? I'm interested to see how it benchmarks maxed out against an OC'd titan xp. The frame variance is so slight it leads me to believe it's a result of the slightly higher clocks, which makes me wonder if that variance is negated or even reversed if both cards are running at max OC.

The only resource I could find is this benchmark, which probably isn't even real.
https://videocardz.com/67004/first-overclocked-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-3dmark-benchmarks-leaked

I tested one of my titans and scored higher, albeit not by much.

DarkEnigma fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 10, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DarkEnigma posted:

So stock against stock the 1080ti beats out the titan by a frame or two in most situations. What about overclocked? I'd imagine it's limited by the same ceiling across all Pascal cards? I'm interested to see how it benchmarks maxed out against an OC'd titan xp. The frame variance is so slight it leads me to believe it's a result of the slightly higher clocks, which makes me wonder if that variance is negated or even reversed if both cards are running at max OC.

The only resource I could find is this benchmark, which probably isn't even real.
https://videocardz.com/67004/first-overclocked-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-3dmark-benchmarks-leaked

The thing is that you'll be able to buy a 1080Ti with a nice cooler on it for ~$750 and maintain really good clocks, with the Titan XP you need a custom water cooling loop, a bracket and AIO setup or some aftermarket cooler so it ends up being way more of a pain in the rear end, it cost more too but I'd assume anyone with a Titan XP doesn't really care that much about the money. But yeah, with similar cooling I'd expect them to maintain similar clocks, though who knows what memory OCing will be like vs the Titan with the faster memory but smaller bus on the 1080Ti.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
If you can stand the noise levels, you don't really need an aftermarket cooling solution for the titan. Mine can hit 2060 mhz stable and temps have never been above 72c. I'm not trying to devalue the 1080ti at all, it certainly makes the titan a dumb choice right now. Buying titan level cards only makes sense at release, or soon after. I think it's great that the tech can advance as much in the 7 months the titan has been out to be able to offer the ti at the price they are. I'm just an enthusiast chasing benchmark scores that's wondering if I'm going to see a bunch of ti's outscoring me, haha. I wouldn't do another lateral "upgrade" in the same gen though, I'm holding off for the next titan.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Rabid Snake posted:

Got my shipping notifcation from Nvidia for the GTX 1080 Ti

(But it won't arrive here until Wednesday because I chose standard shipping :gbsmith: )

At least it'll get here before Mass Effect: Andromeda's 10 hour trial.

I still haven't gotten a shipping notification for mine strangely.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

89 posted:

So, I noticed something.

I started getting lag after having a few windows up with Youtube embedded videos.

But, I changed the refresh rate from 60 to 50Hz again and everything immediately went back to normal.

Wtf?

It's telling you that it wants to die and that you really want some 27" beauties that at > 100hz capable to replace it...

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Man, the 1080 Ti looks good, but at the same time I'm slightly annoyed that it seems to be the 1440p/60fps bruteforce card I wanted the 1080 to be. The 1080 is a great card, of course, and miles better than having SLI 970s, but it still has problems with some games at this resolution.*

That said, when I'm getting a new card, whether that's the 1080 Ti or something that comes after, I gotta remember to stay the gently caress away from both 4K and 144fps. I'd never be satisfied again.

*ditching my overclocked but aging 3770k would also probably help with this, though

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

89 posted:

So, I noticed something.

Wtf?

Welcome to GPU drivers, we hope you enjoy your stay :kheldragar:

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Is there any word on when custom 1080 Ti's will be available, or do we just continuously refresh and hope for the best?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

WTFBEES posted:

Is there any word on when custom 1080 Ti's will be available, or do we just continuously refresh and hope for the best?

Just continuously refresh and hope for the best. :v:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

WTFBEES posted:

No solid word, but considering the 1080Ti is effectively a Titan XP for the most part, AIB's should have had plenty of time to work on their own versions and should (in theory) be pretty quick to market as a result.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm hoping MSI brings back the OC Lightning model, that was pretty much the fastest 980 Ti out of the box.

DarkEnigma posted:

In one OC benchmark, they both throttle at around 84c so an aftermarket 1080 Ti + factory OC with better cooling is probably going to outright own a Titan XP.

[edit]
If you could keep a 1080 Ti at 60c ish, the GPU Boost shouldn't drop, right?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 10, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, that's the idea.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Ak Gara posted:

I'm hoping MSI brings back the OC Lightning model, that was pretty much the fastest 980 Ti out of the box.

In one OC benchmark, they both throttle at around 84c so an aftermarket 1080 Ti + factory OC with better cooling is probably going to outright own a Titan XP.

[edit]
If you could keep a 1080 Ti at 60c ish, the GPU Boost shouldn't drop, right?

I noticed that chart too and I had a really difficult time imagining this card actually just clocking at 1600 mhz. I know its a blower cooler and all and they all basically hit thermal throttling, but even Titans didnt get that bad. I already forgot but did they do something like force constant voltage?

Its a good representation of throttling which is neat, if you had your computer next to a space heater

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

1gnoirents posted:

I noticed that chart too and I had a really difficult time imagining this card actually just clocking at 1600 mhz. I know its a blower cooler and all and they all basically hit thermal throttling, but even Titans didnt get that bad. I already forgot but did they do something like force constant voltage?

Its a good representation of throttling which is neat, if you had your computer next to a space heater

Huh? That chart is exactly how the current generation of GPU boost is designed to work, and it's almost exactly the same as the Titan (Since they're almost exactly the same card, too). The default temp limit set on the 1080ti is a couple degrees below the Titan, and it's typical boost clock is not quite 100mhz higher.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

I'm waiting for Gigabyte to bring a GTX 1080ti Waterforce for those sweet sweet temps.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That's the default fan temp target, but in any case, setting a manual fan curve to max out at say 70-75C should be maintainable even with a stock blower card I bet.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Gwaihir posted:

Huh? That chart is exactly how the current generation of GPU boost is designed to work, and it's almost exactly the same as the Titan (Since they're almost exactly the same card, too). The default temp limit set on the 1080ti is a couple degrees below the Titan, and it's typical boost clock is not quite 100mhz higher.

Holy cow I didn't know that cooler was so thermally limited. I swear I thought people could hold 1800+ on the stock cooler on a Titan.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

Holy cow I didn't know that cooler was so thermally limited. I swear I thought people could hold 1800+ on the stock cooler on a Titan.

Like I said above, the stock Fan profiles are a balance of cooling and noise usually. So I am guessing the duty cycle is only just around 60% or so to maintain 85C like that.

If you let that cooler ramp up to 100% it should not hit 80C and if it's anything like the 780 was OC'ed, hit into the low 70C range at max. Even maxed out the blower isn't that terribly loud either and with the lack of a DVI port, should be able to push more air out than even my 780s could.

Stock fan profiles are the worst. Zotac is a huge offender of this. The 560Ti's I got back when from them were the OC models, but with the stock Bios, the fans would not ramp up past 50% (50-100% were the same speed set manually) so they would get to 90C in SLI and just cook.

Bios edit was able to fix that fan limit and allowed it to ramp up to 100% which was much louder of course, but made the cooling immensely better. However this did break the stock cooling fan curve completely so it would just idle at like 20% until it hit 90C then emergency 100% would kick in lol. To fix this you just use a custom fan curve from EVGA Precision and all was well for the most part.

The other fun task was getting both of those cards to idle with dual monitors in SLI. Thank you Nvidia Inspector Idle Clocks tool.

As my buddy's 2 1080Ti's shipped yesterday, when he gets them I will see if I can run a few test to see what the clocks/thermals/fan does on the new Founders Edition and post it here.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I can't wait until MSI brings out their 1080Ti. Looks to have the identical cooling/setup as my 980Ti from them which is fast and quiet as hell. It's gonna be a thing of beauty when it's finally out...

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Like I said above, the stock Fan profiles are a balance of cooling and noise usually. So I am guessing the duty cycle is only just around 60% or so to maintain 85C like that.

If you let that cooler ramp up to 100% it should not hit 80C and if it's anything like the 780 was OC'ed, hit into the low 70C range at max. Even maxed out the blower isn't that terribly loud either and with the lack of a DVI port, should be able to push more air out than even my 780s could.

Yeah from my experiences with the Titan XP if you set the fans at 80-90% that's enough to keep it from throttling at all at 120% power limit and maximum OC, setting it to 100% would probably keep it below 80C.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Well that was loving dumb. Sold out before I could finish checking out

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

osker posted:

Well that was loving dumb. Sold out before I could finish checking out

Same, I refreshed at noon and added it to my cart only to say my cart was empty. Then out of stock.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
It let me punch in my card and everything, the final submit ate a dick though

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
EVGA 1080 classified owners are being given 120 day step ups to 1080ti

http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-10-Series-Cards-with-iCX-Technology-m2614511-p18.aspx#2627205

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://www.newegg.com/videocards/EventSaleStore/ID-2041834

I was able to grab one here but who knows if it goes through, haven't received a confirmation email.

Edit: I'm dumb, was backordered. Went to EVGA's site and ordered and see a pending 718 dollar charge on my account.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 10, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
What's the point of all the AIB manufacturers each having their own founders edition

Aren't they all completely identical?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
5 left
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-founders-edition?referer=A7RAGP

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

InFlames235 posted:

I can't wait until MSI brings out their 1080Ti. Looks to have the identical cooling/setup as my 980Ti from them which is fast and quiet as hell. It's gonna be a thing of beauty when it's finally out...

I wonder if it'll be called the Gaming 10G?

Instant Grat posted:

What's the point of all the AIB manufacturers each having their own founders edition

Aren't they all completely identical?

The point is to have pictures of pretty CGI ladies on them! (which we then install the card upside down and so can't see it...)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are they any different, or is it just an early preorder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Ak Gara posted:

The point is to have pictures of pretty CGI ladies on them! (which we then install the card upside down and so can't see it...)

No but, I mean, look at this

https://www.newegg.com/videocards/EventSaleStore/ID-2041834

They're all exactly the same thing. They're founders edition cards, so I'm assuming they're all clocked identically and everything too? Or am I misunderstanding what a founders edition card is?