Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know what the physical limit is, but microcontrollers can commonly be clocked at either 32 kHz or 20 MHz (and various intermediate frequencies), which differ by a factor of six hundred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

134 is for the 6700k. 7700k is $280 apprentice.

The only CPU is the 7700k for $280/$230/$200. There is no other offering, I had posted the 6700k and 6850k prices from the PREVIOUS deal for comparison sake. $20 shipping and handling fee, plus sales tax on top. Which is you're base level retail edge you don't really save anything because you can probably get free s&h from Newegg or Amazon. Only master and legend levels do you actually save anything.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

SinineSiil posted:

I thought of an interesting question: Why can't CPU's run at even lower frequencies to save more power? Mine runs at 800 MHz at lowest.

Computer chips use electricity even when the circuits are not switching at the clock frequency--there's a 'static' power dissipation overhead in which the chip uses electricity even if the clock frequency of the chip were to be set to 0 Hz. This is to be contrasted with the usual 'dynamic' power dissipation from the transistors in the circuits switching on and off which increases with clock frequency. One source of the static power dissipation overhead is from transistor off-state leakage.

Transistors on computer chips are electrically controlled switches, but they aren't ideal switches--when turned off, they actually conduct a small amount of electricity. Per transistor, this amount of electricity isn't a lot, but if you multiply this amount times the number of transistors on modern computer chips (~ a billion), it can add up to Watts.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 9, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know what the physical limit is, but microcontrollers can commonly be clocked at either 32 kHz or 20 MHz (and various intermediate frequencies), which differ by a factor of six hundred.

Some (usually old, though I think it's also true of the chips that power Arduinos) microprocessors can indeed be run at arbitrarily low frequencies. As mentioned, not so much with cutting edge modern stuff, and by modern I mean 'within about the last 25 to 30 years'.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

feedmegin posted:

though I think it's also true of the chips that power Arduinos) microprocessors can indeed be run at arbitrarily low frequencies.

???? If you're talking about a typical Arduino like the Uno, the ATMega328P mc is only specced out at 20MHz

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

???? If you're talking about a typical Arduino like the Uno, the ATMega328P mc is only specced out at 20MHz

Looking at, for e.g.

http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-42718-ATmega1284_Datasheet.pdf

you'll see the phrase 'fully static operation' - that means you can run it arbitrarily slowly given the right clock. It goes 'up to' 20MHz, but it goes all the way down to 0. I don't know if this particular ATmega is used in Arduinos specifically, mind you, but it's the same class of chip.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Oh, it's on the other ATMega data sheets too. Nifty!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fully static x86, up to 120 Mhz :krad:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Just need that scaled down to 10nm and packaged under a soldered IHS :byodood:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I guess it's not as bad as I thought then.

The good thing is you can still get a 6900K or 6950X for 1/2 price of retail so thats good. The discount just seems to evaporate a bit once you go smaller. And outside of CPU's there isn't any deals to be had. Intel SSD's are more expensive internally then a lot of places internally which is baffling. Same goes for NUC's.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
if you are talking about the retail edge thing, slayvus said its ONLY for the 7700k

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

sincx posted:

I think there's a video of a guy who somehow underclocked a Core 2 (or something similar) to 100 MHz and tried to run XP on it.

Edit: it was an original Pentium running Windows XP at 8 MHz:
http://winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini.htm.en

I remember reading that back in the day.

Crazy it ran at all.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I seem to have stumbled upon an old Mac Pro with a Xeon W3520 processor in it. Are these things good for anything? Google says roughly equiv to a i7 920

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Selling on craigslist to stupid music engineers

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Don Lapre posted:

It would probably be a decent way to cheaply run logic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Don Lapre posted:

Sell it fast because you can currently upgrade the firmware in 2009 MPs to run Sierra, but they will likely be unable to run 10.13.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lube banjo posted:

I seem to have stumbled upon an old Mac Pro with a Xeon W3520 processor in it. Are these things good for anything? Google says roughly equiv to a i7 920

Take out the CPU and cooler and sell just the CPU to someone on eBay. The computer itself is fairly worthless unless you want to reuse the case for something.

mewse
May 2, 2006

fishmech posted:

Take out the CPU and cooler and sell just the CPU to someone on eBay. The computer itself is fairly worthless unless you want to reuse the case for something.

Are you kidding? Doing an ebay search has the cpu going for $5 and the complete system going for $200-400

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mewse posted:

Are you kidding? Doing an ebay search has the cpu going for $5 and the complete system going for $200-400

Back in November I sold the CPU for $100 to some idiot, and the complete systems don't move much plus are a bitch to ship. It's all about using the right keywords.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
well poo poo, threw it on craigslist for $150 and sold within the hour o.O

anyway, that's my story. thanks for listening

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah - that basically is an i7-920, which is not a terrible processor even eight years on. It would be faster than a current Mac Mini and has a lot more expandability - in fact, as far as I know it's the most recent Mac that can run normal full-sized graphics cards.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Overclocking question:

I still have a 2500K, which has been running at 4.4GHz for well over two years now.
Lately I keep getting occasional Bluescreens with a sound loop (mostly when watching video content in the browser or with MP-HC) while playing and browsing at the same time.

Most of the time it is a "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR", most recently I also got a "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT". The event manager always just shows that the system has been rebooted due to an sudden error, there are no events logged immediately prior to that.

I haven't touched the VCore voltage yet, it's still on auto.
Maybe I need to adjust it - problem is I have no clue. Is it too high or too low?
Googling suggests that the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR can be caused by undervolting, so should I crank VCore up a notch (0.01V)?

When under load (Prime95) at 4.4GHz Vcore is at ~1.390V according to the utility that came with the mainboard (Asrock Z77 Extreme 6).
It's idling at 1.6GHz and around 0.975V
CPU temp is at 65C/149F under load and 35C/98F when idle, so nothing out of the ordinary.

I also already checked the system files with sfc /scannow, as this was mentioned as another possible cause.

Edit: Thanks, will try my luck there.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 11, 2017

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mcbexx posted:

Overclocking question:

I still have a 2500K, which has been running at 4.4GHz for well over two years now.
Lately I keep getting occasional Bluescreens with a sound loop (mostly when watching video content in the browser or with MP-HC) while playing and browsing at the same time.

Most of the time it is a "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR", most recently I also got a "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT". The event manager always just shows that the system has been rebooted due to an sudden error, there are no events logged immediately prior to that.

I haven't touched the VCore voltage yet, it's still on auto.
Maybe I need to adjust it - problem is I have no clue. Is it too high or too low?
Googling suggests that the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR can be caused by undervolting, so should I crank VCore up a notch (0.01V)?

When under load (Prime95) at 4.4GHz Vcore is at ~1.390V according to the utility that came with the mainboard (Asrock Z77 Extreme 6).
It's idling at 1.6GHz and around 0.975V
CPU temp is at 65C/149F under load and 35C/98F when idle, so nothing out of the ordinary.

I also already checked the system files with sfc /scannow, as this was mentioned as another possible cause.

There's an overclocking thread which may have answers.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Lube banjo posted:

well poo poo, threw it on craigslist for $150 and sold within the hour o.O

anyway, that's my story. thanks for listening

Yea, you asked way way way too little. Prob could have asked $500 and gotten 400

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Probably a stupid question, but Coffee Lake-S is supposed to be a real native hexacore on the same high power process as Kaby, as opposed to Zen which is 2 low power quads glued together kinda like a PS4?
Not really keen on dealing with stuff like process lassoo in tyool 2017 or waiting for miracle software workarounds.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sauer kraut posted:

Probably a stupid question, but Coffee Lake-S is supposed to be a real native hexacore on the same high power process as Kaby, as opposed to Zen which is 2 low power quads glued together kinda like a PS4?
Not really keen on dealing with stuff like process lassoo in tyool 2017 or waiting for miracle software workarounds.

This is not a realistic take on Zen at all, it's much more like 2 i5-4670s stuck together. It's a decent single threaded performer, and if you've got the kind of workloads that would benefit from having 6 Intel cores, it's likely that the 8 AMD cores available right now for $329 would outperform those 6 Intel cores.

I get not wanting to be an early product beta tester, but it's not like Coffee Lake is going to emerge as a fully vetted product with a battle tested BIOS & mobo compatability situation day one. If you need threads right now, either the 5820K or the R7 1700 are decent options.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Having a 5820k, I can say I love the poo poo out of it, and it was a huge upgrade from my 2500k. That said, the beast puts out a ridiculous amount of heat, so if you want to overclock it you probably want to slap a seriously hefty cooler on it (AIO's like the H110 recommended). Still, 6x4.4Ghz cores just crushes things, and isn't too far behind 6x00's on single-thread performance.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Think that's bad, try a Sandy Bridge based 3930K at 4.6Ghz.

My H100 keeps up, but I would recommend a H110 or better (280 vs 240 at least).

On that note, what is your voltage for that 5820K?

This thing may be old now, but I have yet to run into any CPU bottleneck that I would care to replace it for. If anything I'd like NVME storage but I am able to wait with Raid-0 850EVO's and need a1080Ti more for VR.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I believe I'm at 1.28v. My H110 is more than capable of keeping things sane during gaming and normal use without bothering to spin the fans much past 300-400RPM, but once I toss it a Handbreak job or the like, it gets....loud....trying to keep it under 90C.

I haven't even bothered with RAIDed SSDs; a 1TB 840 Evo already seems so snappy to me that I can't really imagine that NVE would be much of an improvement in practice.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
NVMe can be a problem on X99 since you normally have to run a 125+ MHz BCLK strap to get memory stable at XMP speeds (many mobos will automatically do this for you) , and that also affects the clock for PCIe devices. Things like GPUs are a bit smarter but NVMe are too simple for that.

I run my 5820K at stock voltages, but I hit 4.13 GHz all-core. I don't ready miss the last 400 MHz and it does make a huge difference in power/heat. I have a great 140mm AIO (Nepton 140 XL) and I stay under 80c in Prime95, under 70C during normal workloads.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
My 5820k gets well into the wasteful side of the curve after I go past 4.3GHz. At 4.3 it virtually never breaks 70C, most of the time hovering in the mid 60s at full load. While stepping up to 4.4 is enough to touch 80C and up to 4.7 while still stable gets to 90C. All with a D15 and Noctua fans that can stay at a virtually silent 700 RPM at 4.3, but even at their maxed out ~2,200 RPM range making significant noise nothing can deal with my 4.7 5820K. Never really needed to touch voltages for any of the speeds, all the power use comes from the clock speed. For now nothing has been demanding enough to make me want to leave 4.3 though so I'm sitting there and enjoying longevity for a while.

It doesn't feel like a huge upgrade from a 4.6GHz 2500K, but it's nice being able to transcode in the background and feel no performance hit even in games. I sprung for it over a Skylake specifically because I planned to rerip my DVD and bluray collection to x265 and it's been great for that.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Wha? Odd that you are having trouble keeping below 90C at 1.28vcore.

I have mine using Offset so it hits 1.35vcore when under max load, but stays below 75C when doing RipBot/Handbreak and will only stretch up into 80C if I do a Prime95 test or something.

At 4.4ghz things are a good bit cooler, but I like to push things and most of the time it idles at 1.2ghz anyway. Turns out at 4.6 though I needed to add a little voltage offset to the memory controller (VCCA?) which was the memory error issue I was having for a while but couldn't pin down. Shame on me for not using Prime95 sooner. 8 Sticks of 2133 DDR3 on a X79 was not easy to make stable with this OC for some but I got lucky with this Chip/Board.

*On second thought, the reason I can keep it cool enough with the H100 is probably because I have it setup Push/Pull on the radiator lol. 2 stock Corsair fans on the bottom and 2 bBlast 120's on top pulling.
Its not too noisy at idle.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 17, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

NVMe can be a problem on X99 since you normally have to run a 125+ MHz BCLK strap to get memory stable at XMP speeds (many mobos will automatically do this for you) , and that also affects the clock for PCIe devices. Things like GPUs are a bit smarter but NVMe are too simple for that.

I run my 5820K at stock voltages, but I hit 4.13 GHz all-core. I don't ready miss the last 400 MHz and it does make a huge difference in power/heat. I have a great 140mm AIO (Nepton 140 XL) and I stay under 80c in Prime95, under 70C during normal workloads.

The issue with NVME is it drops m.2 drives down to gen 2 pci-e with 125 BLCK. Just get a cheap pci-e nvme card and most boards let you force gen3 on slots.

https://www.amazon.com/NGFF-PCI-e-Express-Host-Adapter/dp/B01M0OS5JH/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1489772086&sr=8-11&keywords=nvme+card

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, if I put more fans on the rads I'd probably have a better time of things, but I'm using ones that are functionally silent while the CPU isn't being too stressed. Frankly, nothing other than ripping/transcoding stresses it out much, and I'm pretty sure virtually all of my games are GPU bound vice CPU bound, so I've never been worried that it's holding me back compared to a 6700k or whatever.

Also the sweet, sweet quad-channel memory is a nice touch.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

*On second thought, the reason I can keep it cool enough with the H100 is probably because I have it setup Push/Pull on the radiator lol. 2 stock Corsair fans on the bottom and 2 bBlast 120's on top pulling.
Its not too noisy at idle.

Yeah I have push-pull set up too, and my pump is set to always run 100%. I think both of those factors really help.

The Nepton series were really fantastic performers for average-ish prices. Unfortunately they got nailed by Asetek's patent suit and their AIOs got pulled from the market.

I have one 2x140 mount and one 1x120 mount in my case (Source 340 plebian edition). I've been meaning to get a G10 GPU bracket and put a 120mm AIO on my GPU too (1080 FE). At some point I'll probably put a Kraken X62 or H110i GTX on my 5820K too, and see how far it'll go.

I've always harbored dreams of SLI but on this case that would mean a 140mm AIO on the CPU, or an open cooler in the bottom slot. And I guess I don't really have that big a need for it, since a lot of the games I play aren't compatible and I don't feel the drive to max out my monitor.

Right now I'm pretty content with 4.13 GHz all-core on my 5820K and stock clocks on my 1080 though. I play at 1440p with GSync and it's pretty solid, I'm usually at 70 fps with top-notch settings minus a few things that just nuke your performance.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Just FYI any AIO you buy you should be running the pump at 100%. Some of them have variable speed pumps but thats handled through the coolers software. not the bios fan control.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Digital Foundry did some Ryzen benchmarking.

https://youtu.be/TId-OrXWuOE

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Just performed my first "Xeon 711 cpu to socket 775" mod. I must say it's alot easier than i was expecting.

Leaving a cheap cpu (I had a 2ghz or so core2duo) in the socket to protect the pins made it almost foolproof.

So for £15 for a 3ghz 4core, versus £40 for a q9550 that I just wasn't going to pay for in 2017.

Now I'm onto the final step of importing the xeon microcode into the bios so it's fully supported. Then I'll throw an old tower cooler on it and try for around 3.3ghz.

The system now finally has enough cpu power to play videos through Amazon prime. I was amazed at just how much cpu power it requires just for a video stream.

Anyone else done the xeon mod? How did you find it? It's defiantly high on the list of odd things I've done with computer parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Captain Hair posted:

Just performed my first "Xeon 711 cpu to socket 775" mod. I must say it's alot easier than i was expecting.

Leaving a cheap cpu (I had a 2ghz or so core2duo) in the socket to protect the pins made it almost foolproof.

So for £15 for a 3ghz 4core, versus £40 for a q9550 that I just wasn't going to pay for in 2017.

Now I'm onto the final step of importing the xeon microcode into the bios so it's fully supported. Then I'll throw an old tower cooler on it and try for around 3.3ghz.

The system now finally has enough cpu power to play videos through Amazon prime. I was amazed at just how much cpu power it requires just for a video stream.

Anyone else done the xeon mod? How did you find it? It's defiantly high on the list of odd things I've done with computer parts.

I did it about 18 months ago with a 3.06 Xeon - I took lazy way out and bought a CPU that already had that decal-thing attached, knocked the tab off with a razor and just popped it into the socket.

Only hassle is that I couldn't Hackintosh the result, OSX crashed about ten different ways and finally wouldn't boot. Went back to a Q6600 and everything was fine again. In Windows-land, the Xeon worked splendidly, I got it running at 3.4 stable and it's quite noticeably faster.