Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I bought two :twisted:

E: wasteful spending snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Ak Gara posted:

I wonder if it'll be called the Gaming 10G?

I think so:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

EdEddnEddy posted:

Like I said above, the stock Fan profiles are a balance of cooling and noise usually. So I am guessing the duty cycle is only just around 60% or so to maintain 85C like that.

If you let that cooler ramp up to 100% it should not hit 80C and if it's anything like the 780 was OC'ed, hit into the low 70C range at max. Even maxed out the blower isn't that terribly loud either and with the lack of a DVI port, should be able to push more air out than even my 780s could.

Stock fan profiles are the worst. Zotac is a huge offender of this. The 560Ti's I got back when from them were the OC models, but with the stock Bios, the fans would not ramp up past 50% (50-100% were the same speed set manually) so they would get to 90C in SLI and just cook.

Bios edit was able to fix that fan limit and allowed it to ramp up to 100% which was much louder of course, but made the cooling immensely better. However this did break the stock cooling fan curve completely so it would just idle at like 20% until it hit 90C then emergency 100% would kick in lol. To fix this you just use a custom fan curve from EVGA Precision and all was well for the most part.

The other fun task was getting both of those cards to idle with dual monitors in SLI. Thank you Nvidia Inspector Idle Clocks tool.

As my buddy's 2 1080Ti's shipped yesterday, when he gets them I will see if I can run a few test to see what the clocks/thermals/fan does on the new Founders Edition and post it here.

Oh we're on the same page now, I just literally can't believe it. I've never had any card drop more than 13 mhz or so, seeing 300-400 was a bit of a shock especially if the cooler could handle it. I've had so so so many cards too... but never a reference

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Instant Grat posted:

No but, I mean, look at this

https://www.newegg.com/videocards/EventSaleStore/ID-2041834

They're all exactly the same thing. They're founders edition cards, so I'm assuming they're all clocked identically and everything too? Or am I misunderstanding what a founders edition card is?

No, you're correct: they're all the exact same card, just build by different manufacturers. So basically you're picking who you want to deal with for warranty support (Hint: EVGA). The entire idea of the FE cards is that they are identical; a reference-build, if you will, just up-scaled with a fancy heatsink.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wasn't someone here looking for a 1080ti with a waterblock-friendly reference PCB and cheap-rear end disposable cooler? Zotac is making one of those:

https://www.zotac.com/gb/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Now that I have suffered the indignity of trying to order a video card on launch day, I'm just going to wait for something from EVGA. I really liked that card I just returned in anticipation for this founders garbage.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Interposers are almost de-facto what has to be used. However, when Hynix was doing their presentations on HBM, it was strongly implied that the entire bottom surface of stacked chips did not need to sit entirely on an interposer, and could in fact hang off the edge. Might not want to, for sturdiness purposes, but it implies that you could sink two or more interposers side-by-side into a ceramic substrate. then place 2/4/6/8 GPU dies on top, bridging the interposers, then using the rest of the interposer space to load up on HBM.

TL;DR: Building chips out of lego.

edit:

Blue: Plastic/ceramic support substrate
Black: Interposer with Infinity Fabric
Red: GPU dies
Green: HBM stacks

And this entire assembly would present itself as a single physical device to the OS, not as 3 GPUs with bridge chips interconnecting.

I'm not saying this is what will happen, but this is what AMD is aiming for.

This is like emib I guess

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

It seems like the 1080 Ti is now included in the For Honor / Wildlands promo.

Anyone who preordered from the Nvidia website get their promo code with their invoice? The invoice only shows my videocard serial number.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Rabid Snake posted:

It seems like the 1080 Ti is now included in the For Honor / Wildlands promo.

Anyone who preordered from the Nvidia website get their promo code with their invoice? The invoice only shows my videocard serial number.

You have to redeem those through the geforce experience now, so it may trigger when you get it installed.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
The blower 1080ti Nvidias seeling will definitely be worse for overclocking than the fan ones right?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

The blower 1080ti Nvidias seeling will definitely be worse for overclocking than the fan ones right?

The blower is pretty loud, if you're running it at 120% power limit and maximum OC you'll have to crank the fan speed to 75%+ to prevent throttling, but if you're OK with that there probably won't be a huge difference. Personally I'd wait for the custom coolers.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I used to have a reference 680 SLI.

So loud. But the pitch, too! :(

My 970 Gaming 4G is pretty much dead silent even when maxed out. Hopefully the 1080 Ti from MSI will be just as quiet.

I hear those all-in-one water cooled GPU's aren't as quiet as you have pump noise to deal with.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ak Gara posted:

I hear those all-in-one water cooled GPU's aren't as quiet as you have pump noise to deal with.

Some of the pre-made ones (like the Seahawk or the EVGA Hybrid) can have some pump noise, but they're still pretty quiet. If you go for a roll-your-own G10 + AIO (H55/H60/etc) they can be virtually dead silent. For instance, I have a LQ320 strapped to my 1080 and it's inaudible.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Lol, the buddy who ordered the 2 1080Ti's, got both today.

If anyone want a 1080Ti in Texas, he's willing to part with one right now for $999.99 lol.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
If I'm planning to be at 1080p for the foreseeable future (other than streaming movies to what will probably be a 4k tv), should I still look no further than the 1070 (at most)? Or should I move up to a 1080 at this point with the recent price drops?

Do I need to be talked off this ledge? :ohdear:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
ill give him a 1070.

e: the 1070 does pretty much everything at higher than 60 fps for 1080p at highest possible settings, and a good bit of games at 1440p.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

As much as you can afford, then use DSR to make it look really good. Without getting into that, yeah, 1070 is likely good enough. My 1080 is on a TV that takes 120hz at 1080p, and plays most at 120fps with max detail. I imagine a 1070 will maintain 60 in everything. Plus it saves some for games that you'll likely want to buy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

If I'm planning to be at 1080p for the foreseeable future (other than streaming movies to what will probably be a 4k tv), should I still look no further than the 1070 (at most)? Or should I move up to a 1080 at this point with the recent price drops?

I went with the 1060 6GB for similar reasons, and I don't see upgrading beyond 60hz monitors for a long while - gotta focus on a new mobo, CPU, and RAM before that, and probably a bigger SSD. I've been mostly CPU-bound, and in games that aren't the 1060 has been tearing along just fine. The 1070 would give you a little more future-proofing, though, if nothing else.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
These aftermarket bad boys are now ready for pre-order at Overclockers UK. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-gtx-1080-ti

I'm setting my eyes on the ASUS ROG STRIX and ZOTAC AMP EXTREME.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Alehkhs posted:

The 1070 is already a bit into the "future proof" region for 1080p without going totally overboard, I'd say it's a good choice.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I know I was all in on grabbing a 1080 because of the price range.

But, really, my gaming is either on a 40" 4K TV or a 1080P 65" TV.

Should I just get a 1070 instead? Or is it even enough of an upgrade over my 970?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

The 1070 is faster than the 970 by about 2/3, definitely a worthwhile upgrade but on the other hand the 970 is still a fairly capable 1080p card depending on the games and settings. It all depends on your needs and what you consider a large enough gap to justify the upgrade.

EDIT: The 1080 is slightly over 100% faster than the 970, here's a comparison.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 11, 2017

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Junior Jr. posted:

These aftermarket bad boys are now ready for pre-order at Overclockers UK. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-gtx-1080-ti

Christ, those prices :( I was considering one for my new build but £800 for a decent Asus/MSI one? gently caress that, I'll just get a 1080 now...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Christ, those prices :( I was considering one for my new build but £800 for a decent Asus/MSI one? gently caress that, I'll just get a 1080 now...

Hahaha loving christ :canada:

Plus 12% sales taxes...

e: For comparison I just spent $570 incl. tax on an EVGA 1070 SC.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I've got an i5-3350p + a gtx 960. Thinking of bumping up to a 1060 or 1070. Would online benchmarks be fairly accurate, or would I need to adjust them a bit for my older CPU?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Han Nehi posted:

I've got an i5-3350p + a gtx 960. Thinking of bumping up to a 1060 or 1070. Would online benchmarks be fairly accurate, or would I need to adjust them a bit for my older CPU?

Might impact it slightly but either will still be a sizable upgrade.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
At what GPU level would my i7 4770k start holding me back?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stock or overclocked? At stock next years Titan might be enough for it to be a limiting factor.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

MaxxBot posted:

The 1070 is already a bit into the "future proof" region for 1080p without going totally overboard, I'd say it's a good choice.

Yeah, I was just wondering if "the future" had already arrived for the 1070. There was some benchmark going around today that showed less than 60fps for 1080p in Ghost Recon: Wildlands with a 1070.

I'll be building a new computer this month, and between the price drops after the 1080ti reveal and the fact I have a couple Amazon gift cards, I'm considering grabbing a 1080 to better secure my precious 1080p 60hz gameplay...

I'm probably an idiot in this. :shrug:

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
This is a really dumb question, I'm on a 6600k at 4.7ghz at 16 gigs of 2666 ddr4 with a 1070 SC FTW, 1080's are absurdly cheap on my local craigslist right now -- is it worth the upgrade or is it not going to be that noticable? I'm using a 1440p 165hz g-sync monitor as well.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

89 posted:

At what GPU level would my i7 4770k start holding me back?

next gen titan or 1180ti, and that's a maybe.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Ok, so I'm good. lolz

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Alehkhs posted:

Yeah, I was just wondering if "the future" had already arrived for the 1070. There was some benchmark going around today that showed less than 60fps for 1080p in Ghost Recon: Wildlands with a 1070.

I'll be building a new computer this month, and between the price drops after the 1080ti reveal and the fact I have a couple Amazon gift cards, I'm considering grabbing a 1080 to better secure my precious 1080p 60hz gameplay...

I'm probably an idiot in this. :shrug:

Wait till you try turning on DSR and then just see what happens to your framerates.

IMO, games that do checkerboard rendering really do benefit from DSR though, otherwise I think it looks a little funky. Or at least that's my theory as to why MGSV benefits so much from 1.4x DSR :shrug:

On the flip side though - I haven't noticed many other games that benefit substantially from DSR - but most of them don't use checkerboard rendering either.

edit: There's nothing wrong with the 1080, especially if you are only at 1080p. If you can pick one up for say $450, then that's still pretty substantially better performance-per-dollar than the 1080 Ti. It's pretty far into "high-end 1440p performance" territory let alone 1080p.

I still think you're good with a 1070 at 1080p though. I would rather put the money towards a GSync monitor. Seriously ask anyone who owns one, it's mindblowing how smooth 40fps can be, and not having to push 60fps minimum/70 fps avg can be a big savings in graphics cards. And you can use a monitor for at least 5 years, so it'll save you money long term. A 1070 is still going to be totally fine at 1440p, even moreso if you have GSync.

double edit: oh, the other game I've found that looks pretty nice with DSR is Mass Effect 1. I installed the high-res texture pack, running 1.4x DSR at 1440p, and I disabled the framerate limiter, and I'm still doing 80fps no problem. It's funny to go back and turn on some mega-quality settings with older games.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 11, 2017

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

Junior Jr. posted:

Laughing at the photoshopped Ti on all the boxes and art. Also the MSPaint Seahawk 1080Ti.

I was hoping for atleast specs on the coolers. Want to get the fattest heatsink that I can fit in 310mm.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ColHannibal posted:

I was reading people want blower cards and hate the look of the FE?

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/TURBO-GTX1080TI-11G/

Asia got you fam.

UNLIKE ASUS, it looks like Zotac has you covered.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

double edit: oh, the other game I've found that looks pretty nice with DSR is Mass Effect 1. I installed the high-res texture pack, running 1.4x DSR at 1440p, and I disabled the framerate limiter, and I'm still doing 80fps no problem. It's funny to go back and turn on some mega-quality settings with older games.

I'll attest to this. Playing ME1 back when it first came out, every single straight line looked like a jigsaw blade and there was nothing you could do about it because deferred rendering meant you couldn't force AA in graphics card drivers, and post-process AA injectors were years away. Now I'm playing it using VSR (or whatever AMD calls their version of DSR) at 4k on a 1080p monitor and it looks perfect.

Maybe I should wait 10 years to play every game.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Is the difference in performance between a 1070 and 1080 going to be substantial in a 3570k system, enough to justify the ~$150 price difference? Pushing a 4k monitor, but only at 60hz, and don't really care about maxing out settings.

eames
May 9, 2009

Coldforge posted:

Is the difference in performance between a 1070 and 1080 going to be substantial in a 3570k system, enough to justify the ~$150 price difference? Pushing a 4k monitor, but only at 60hz, and don't really care about maxing out settings.

Yeah absolutely, CPU performance typically doesn't matter much at such a high resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Coldforge posted:

You should really aim for a 1080Ti, that is a lot of pixels to push.