Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Audacity is free and straightforward.

If you need to add a drumloop, fire up Garageband. I deleted that nonsense because I'd rather have the 2gb back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BobHoward posted:

Argh grinding teeth please don't perpetuate placebo tech tip myths. Neither of these cures a multitude of ills.

NVRAM is usually irrelevant to problems that happen while macOS is actually running.

True, but it doesn't hurt anything. I'm going to keep recommending it as long as it's on every Quick Fixes page in GSX troubleshooting. Look at nvram -p again; your Bluetooth controller is in there n so is the display backlight.

quote:

SMC reset is a more legit tip, but only for problems related the stuff the SMC actually manages, such as the battery. The SMC doesn't (so far as I am aware) do anything related to WiFi.

The SMC is involved in distributing power to various components, if its settings get corrupted lots of things can go wrong. We have resolved issues where a Retina MBPro will lose the internal display completely with SMC resets.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Anyone still using a mid 2012 retina MacBook pro 15"? I have someone willing to sell me a 16gb model with a 512mb SSD 2.6ghz i7 for $900. The specs seem pretty close to the one currently available aside from the slower RAM and the lack of a touch bar.

Is this machine a good deal? Is it too ancient to be useful for web development (Apache/php/mysql, in a Docker container, angularjs, node.js, sublime text, light Photoshop) on a 1440p monitor?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 17, 2017

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

GutBomb posted:

Anyone still using a mid 2012 retina MacBook pro 15"? I have someone willing to sell me a 16gb model with a 512mb SSD 2.6ghz i7 for $900. The specs seem pretty close to the one currently available aside from the slower RAM and the lack of a touch bar.

Is this machine a good deal? Is it too ancient to be useful for web development (Apache/php/mysql, in a Docker container, angularjs, node.js, sublime text, light Photoshop) on a 1440p monitor?

Nah it's still good. With the ssd you're solid. Maybe not $900 good deal but still a good laptop if you want Mac OS X without hackintosh

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

GutBomb posted:

A Sandy Bridge i7 is definitely not too ancient to be useful, and is in fact plenty powerful for all of that, the only thing that should really suffer compared to more recent models and newer units is the battery life.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I have that machine. I think it's still fine. In fact, I'm sure my workload is bigger than what you've described.

Another big spec difference is the 512GB SSD of then and of the NVMe 512GB SSD today. The 2012 SSD tops out at around 300MB/s compared to the probably 1GB/s+ current SSDs have at 512GB. Main reason I know this is because my workload is a buttload of VMs with no Dockerization possible and I have a work laptop with a NVMe SSD of a few years later to compare. That said, you're using Docker, and in a Docker environment so that kind of SSD grinding action is far more minimized.

Another semi-drawback is that page scrolling in Chrome on the integrated intel GPU is not 60FPS because of the Retina. *shrug*. It's not janky but it isn't 60FPS.

I think its fine for what you're doing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

crazysim posted:

I have that machine. I think it's still fine. In fact, I'm sure my workload is bigger than what you've described.

Another big spec difference is the 512GB SSD of then and of the NVMe 512GB SSD today. The 2012 SSD tops out at around 300MB/s compared to the probably 1GB/s+ current SSDs have at 512GB. Main reason I know this is because my workload is a buttload of VMs with no Dockerization possible and I have a work laptop with a NVMe SSD of a few years later to compare. That said, you're using Docker, and in a Docker environment so that kind of SSD grinding action is far more minimized.

Another semi-drawback is that page scrolling in Chrome on the integrated intel GPU is not 60FPS because of the Retina. *shrug*. It's not janky but it isn't 60FPS.

I think its fine for what you're doing.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Just realized I didn't post this in the hardware thread, sorry!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I just went from a similar machine (2.6 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 15" rMBP albeit late-2013 so it was Haswell and 750m) to a late-2016 15" Touch Bar MBP and I honestly can't say I notice much of a performance difference outside of storage-intensive stuff. There'd be a bit more of a performance delta between the one you're looking at and a current machine, but that's still a respectable laptop for modern uses. $900 seems a little high to me though.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
$900 feels a bit high to me too. It's going to be a 5 year old computer soon, and that means you have to be concerned about how much the battery has left. (Assuming it's the original battery.) Apple charges $200 to replace the battery on 15" retina MBPs, and DIY battery replacement on these models is basically impossible (can't buy the part on the open market AFAIK, and if you could you'd be replacing the entire top case, not just the battery). So factor that possible expenditure into how much you might have to pay to have a usefully portable computer for the next few years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GutBomb posted:

I have a mid-2012 13 inch i7 and it's still plenty good. I just upgraded to an 13 inch MBPnt and the processor is honestly a lateral move. The worst problems with my old MBP were the screen and the battery life. Yours already has a retina and you can always buy a new battery.

Speaking of Mac OS software, I just purchased Alfred and holy poo poo this is nice. Definitely ranks up there with Bartender, iStat, and PopClip on most useful apps I've found.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm not so worried about the battery life anyway. I've used laptops for nearly 20 years and 95% of that has been plugged in.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I use a '15 13" MBP plugged in to a monitor with magic KB + mouse as my main PC and it's great.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Michael Scott posted:

I use a '15 13" MBP plugged in to a monitor with magic KB + mouse as my main PC and it's great.

Yep. I got a 2013 15" MBPr hooked up to a Dell UP2414Q and it's still a great machine. Do my work and a shitload of audio playing and recording through it and I see no reason to upgrade from it yet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The rMBPs since 2013 have been almost TOO good for apple. Like unless this thing breaks, I can't see myself upgrading for a long time.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The rMBPs since 2013 have been almost TOO good for apple. Like unless this thing breaks, I can't see myself upgrading for a long time.
Is that the +1Y model after the ironed out the kinks with the first version? I vaguely remember it having a bunch of issues.

My 2012 Air works just fine, except I my computer slows down a bunch like once every two or three weeks requiring a restart. I think it was my kernel process that reached like 11,000% CPU load last time.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I have a mid-2012 non-retina 15" MBP (2.6GHz i7, 8GB, 512GB SSD, 650M) and the only thing that has me even wanting to upgrade a little bit is for a better GPU for the few games I do play on it, like WoW and Civ6. I mainly have it plugged into an external display, too, and I've already had the battery replaced. Best machine I've ever owned.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

Is that the +1Y model after the ironed out the kinks with the first version? I vaguely remember it having a bunch of issues.

My 2012 Air works just fine, except I my computer slows down a bunch like once every two or three weeks requiring a restart. I think it was my kernel process that reached like 11,000% CPU load last time.

Probably. I remember hearing the rev A rMBP didn't have enough CPU/GPU to easily run it's Retina display.

I can't tell if Apple deliberately nerfs it's first gen hardware or if they just don't foresee how people will use it. Like the iPad 1 which was obsolete within 2 years while the iPad 2 lasted forever. Same for the original iPhone versus the 3Gs.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

I still use my 2013 I got as a refurb almost 3 years ago. I probably won't upgrade for another year or 2, or until the thing decides to just not boot anymore.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my 2013 iMac w/ SSD is still fast as hell and i don't plan on buying anything for a long time. Although I am a bit frustrated that the next iMac had a retina display and I didn't get in on that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Last Chance posted:

my 2013 iMac w/ SSD is still fast as hell and i don't plan on buying anything for a long time. Although I am a bit frustrated that the next iMac had a retina display and I didn't get in on that.

:same: I still love mine. For what I use it which is everything but gaming it's still super snappy and good.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Did someone mention the iPad Air 2? I don't even understand how it's so good.

Spotlight isn't finding powerpoint files for me (.pptx). Does it find them for anyone else? I'd rather not reindex the drive.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Luceo posted:

I have a mid-2012 non-retina 15" MBP (2.6GHz i7, 8GB, 512GB SSD, 650M) and the only thing that has me even wanting to upgrade a little bit is for a better GPU for the few games I do play on it, like WoW and Civ6. I mainly have it plugged into an external display, too, and I've already had the battery replaced. Best machine I've ever owned.

That's great. I have a beefy gaming pc (and consoles) for games so the mac is strictly business so the retina version of what you have should be perfect for me. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

A Sandy Bridge i7 is definitely not too ancient to be useful, and is in fact plenty powerful for all of that, the only thing that should really suffer compared to more recent models and newer units is the battery life.

The battery is the issue there. Have the seller go into System Information and show you the battery details. Charge cycles should be well under 500. If they're over, start bargaining. If they're over 1000, let me know, I've only seen one that high once. I can look up what the mHa values should be new so you can compare them if you want.

There's also a known issue on the 15" where the GPU flakes out and the machine goes from having unexpected shutdowns to not booting at all. I *think* the repair extension on that problem has expired, so if it happens the expensive logic board is toast. Most of the machines for which the issue will occur have already had it though. Although I do have a report from last week that a machine that I'd already replaced the logic board on had it happen again.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Thank you guys for giving me reassurance when I get the itch to impulse buy next time.

TouchID, Touch Bar and essentially a lateral CPU/RAM/SSD move are not worth $3000 to me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

EconOutlines posted:

Thank you guys for giving me reassurance when I get the itch to impulse buy next time.

TouchID, Touch Bar and essentially a lateral CPU/RAM/SSD move are not worth $3000 to me.

Wise man. The 2012 is a perfectly adequate OS X machine.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Krispy Kareem posted:

I can't tell if Apple deliberately nerfs it's first gen hardware or if they just don't foresee how people will use it. Like the iPad 1 which was obsolete within 2 years while the iPad 2 lasted forever. Same for the original iPhone versus the 3Gs.

You're looking at it wrong if you think it's about "nerfing". Designing new products is hard and there will always be mistakes made in version 1. A good design team learns from those and then the second generation is much better.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

You're looking at it wrong if you think it's about "nerfing". Designing new products is hard and there will always be mistakes made in version 1. A good design team learns from those and then the second generation is much better.

Well in the iPhone and iPad's cases I don't think Apple realized how people would use them. Jobs was against an App Store before he was for it and that definitely pushed the hardware requirements.

But the first rMBP was pretty bad. Maybe not first MacBook Air bad, but still pretty bad.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I used the rMBP 2012 at work for .. three years I think? No major issues, but you could tell it was a little underpowered.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Probably they decided they were ready to move forward with the retina display and assumed (correctly) that there would be enough people who wanted the high resolution screen and didn't mind the slower performance who would be early adopters. I kind of see a similar thing with the touch bar Pros except this time I think they tried to squeeze in too many compromises.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Well I got the 2012 yesterday and it's a hell of a machine. Earlier last year I had a 2012 13" rMBP for a few months and this machine is MUCH more powerful than the 13". (which had a dual core i5 with no hyperthreading)

This machine doesn't feel underpowered in the least to me. I made a good choice. It is so much nicer than the windows machine I was using for this web dev stuff.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I think it's also a function of the relatively small performance gains made by intel in their CPUs since Sandybridge. My 2014 MBP will last me until it dies.

That being said, I'm also running a 2009 Mac Pro and it still kicks rear end. Literally zero incentive to buy a new one because the form factor is loving garbage.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Theophany posted:

That being said, I'm also running a 2009 Mac Pro and it still kicks rear end. Literally zero incentive to buy a new one because the form factor is loving garbage.

I inherited one which was end-of-lifed because it couldn't run any os higher than 10.11, then I flashed it from the 4,1 firmware to the 5,1 firmware, slapped 10.12 Sierra on it, and it's been working just fine ever since. System Information still says it's an Early 2009. Might upgrade the CPU when prices drop a bit more.

Been inside Early 2009, Late 2010 and 2012 Pros, apart from maybe a few traces on the logic board being different, the 2010 logic boards are basically the same as the 2009.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
It's my bi-yearly plea for an alternative to Acronis ExtremeZ-IP for an AFP-compliant Fileserver that doesn't run on Mac OS X.

Is there anything yet to replace this piece of poo poo product from this piece of poo poo company?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

McDeth posted:

It's my bi-yearly plea for an alternative to Acronis ExtremeZ-IP for an AFP-compliant Fileserver that doesn't run on Mac OS X.

Is there anything yet to replace this piece of poo poo product from this piece of poo poo company?

No. I have no idea if the changeover from GroupLogic was really that bad, but they generally fixed bugs when we asked them to. Our company was an OEM though, so they were more likely to listen to us. Our company doesn't exist anymore. YMMV.

Also have you forgotten how awful Services for Mac was?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

I inherited one which was end-of-lifed because it couldn't run any os higher than 10.11, then I flashed it from the 4,1 firmware to the 5,1 firmware, slapped 10.12 Sierra on it, and it's been working just fine ever since. System Information still says it's an Early 2009. Might upgrade the CPU when prices drop a bit more.

Been inside Early 2009, Late 2010 and 2012 Pros, apart from maybe a few traces on the logic board being different, the 2010 logic boards are basically the same as the 2009.

I bought a W3690 CPU for £100 last week on eBay, which is the fastest CPU you can get for a single proc machine. And bought 32GB of RAM for like £60.

I doubt the 5,1 machines (I flashed mine too) will be allowed the next MacOS upgrade, but there are 3,1 machines easily running Sierra with a straightforward hack so I'm sure 4,1/5,1 machines will have a workaround eventually.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

No. I have no idea if the changeover from GroupLogic was really that bad, but they generally fixed bugs when we asked them to. Our company was an OEM though, so they were more likely to listen to us. Our company doesn't exist anymore. YMMV.

Also have you forgotten how awful Services for Mac was?

My issue with their support is that because ExtremeZ-IP is a 'mobility' product they basically tell you to gently caress off and provide email only support.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, we had direct contact with their engineering, so I can't say how ordinary users dealt with them. Sorry. :( GroupLogic was always good for us to deal with, though. I'm sure Acronis cut costs somewhere.

But if you're paying your annual maintenance license, I would expect to be able to talk to someone over the phone.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Just switching to Mac from PC. I'm almost completely overwhelmed trying to hunt up replacements for some of the stuff I'm used to. I did check out the OP's lists, but there's no real commentary on the apps listed.

I'm fine spending money. The first priorities are probably

file manager (I'm used to a dual-pane one like xPlorer2 or xyplorer, would like some robust, queue-able file copy or move operations). commander one maybe?

Storage visualizer (I'm used to treesize)

Non-indexed search (can't remember the name of what I'm using but basically combs through files for expressions in file name or contents each time, slow but 100% accurate)

Guys I'm so scared. Can someone calmly tell me what works, is there stuff I'm missing? I have skimmed the thread and remember hearing Alfred is something some people swear by, I'll grab that I guess.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

uwaeve posted:

Just switching to Mac from PC. I'm almost completely overwhelmed trying to hunt up replacements for some of the stuff I'm used to. I did check out the OP's lists, but there's no real commentary on the apps listed.

I'm fine spending money. The first priorities are probably

file manager (I'm used to a dual-pane one like xPlorer2 or xyplorer, would like some robust, queue-able file copy or move operations). commander one maybe?

Path Finder

quote:

Storage visualizer (I'm used to treesize)
Free: GrandPerspective or DiskInventoryX

Paid: DaisyDisk

quote:

Non-indexed search (can't remember the name of what I'm using but basically combs through files for expressions in file name or contents each time, slow but 100% accurate)
Not sure, I use find and grep in Terminal if Finder's search isn't working for me.

quote:

Guys I'm so scared. Can someone calmly tell me what works, is there stuff I'm missing? I have skimmed the thread and remember hearing Alfred is something some people swear by, I'll grab that I guess.
Alfred is a text-based launcher with a lot of good plugins. Give it a shot but probably don't expect it to fulfill anything you have listed here.

Overall, give it time to learn how things work. A lot of the differences will feel wrong or broken at first but you'll get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mac Pro tip is just to press CMD-space and it'll find anything you need.