Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihpen9zimiw

First new Loss in like 6 years, pumped to hear the full album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
the new pallbearer is really loving good.

i think i've just reached fanboy status with them and i'm okay with it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

DEAR RICHARD posted:

the new pallbearer is really loving good.

i think i've just reached fanboy status with them and i'm okay with it.

The last two songs on the album are killer

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
UFOMAMMUT has got a new one coming out in September 22nd.
It's called 8 and here's a vid of them recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsxbeuPeHIg

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 25, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

UFOMAMMUT has got a new one coming out in September 22nd.
It's called 8 and here's a vid of them recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsxbeuPeHIg

Holy poo poo that's great, thank you.

Also, I bought the Holy Mountain High Dynamic Range Edition and it sounds better but no big whoop. Shocking!

edit: also might as well post that this tattoo artist is the guy who designed the cover for Holy Mountain:

http://oreillystattoo.com/klem/

edit2: just want to leave this picture of Jus Osborn, that is all.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 27, 2017

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

They are. I saw them last week and they ruled. Their record is good stuff but their live show was like ten times as heavy, huge sound for two dudes.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
another pallbearer post:

heartless is a monster that keeps growing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Stereogum review of it is the metal version of the Pitchfork Kid A review, except people think it's good for some reason.

I love Pallbearer, but I don't understand what weird spell they cast over music writers. They're just a regular doom metal band who are very good at what they do.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I just do not get the hype for this band.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
they're alright but with an annoying boy band singer

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 28, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Reminder to not get mad at a band for the press they are getting. Isn't it enough they are from Arkansas?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Reminder to not get mad at a band for the press they are getting. Isn't it enough they are from Arkansas?

I grant it isn't their fault entirely, or uh Sunbather or Mastodon or The Sword or Agalloch or whatever other buzz band of yore -- you can't wave a wand and get buzz after all -- but the press a band gets is directly indicative of what kind of band they are and what kind of music they play. To take it to an extreme, even if the band played exactly the same music exactly the same way, none of these review outlets would be touting Pallbearer the way they are if they were called Babyfucker or if they all wore Nazi uniforms in their shows, or something else about them was broadly offensive like the singer got his dick out and waved it around at female fans or something. Image is also part of a musician's art and people are free to dislike that part, or find that it doesn't appeal to them. Pallbearer don't have a very aggressive, confrontational, experimental, or challenging style to their music (and this is the source of their mainstream appeal), and their image reflects that, and the press they get reflects this. With fan bases that have an underground or cult appeal like you find in metal, there's an added sense that to be too popular with mainstream journalists is in itself suspicious, and a standard annoyance that it may bring new people into contact with the fan base, who may or may not care about the fan base as a whole or even the type of music more generally. You can apply this to almost any kind of nerd poo poo and the results will be the same. It sparks an invasion mentality in the fan base because it gives the fan base a sense that its position is being devalued. Obviously that isn't necessarily the case but I'm not convinced it's necessarily unhealthy behavior either, it's part of a mild us vs them complex that gives such "underground" communities life and makes participation in them interesting.

vvv hell yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 28, 2017

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ bullshit

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I agree, I'm just saying. The review I'm talking about was extra annoying because it was by an actual metal writer and not a general critic who hears three metal albums a year.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
yeah like weirdo, offensive shirt wearing, groundbreaking fully non-confortionist music never got popular? sex pistols, butthole surfers, swans, nick cave & the bad seeds... hell even black sabbath was scary back in the day. gently caress man, the list is endless. EYEHATEGOD, hah! WHITE friend of the family! those guys were all about ruffling feathers and they got big before the whole doom craze even hit at full force.

also mastodon wasn't in any way accessible in their first album, ti was straight up today is the day worship which makes sense since brann & the other dude played in TITD for a few years just before mastodon. agalloch was an old band by the time they got "big".

you're just wrong and looking at it from some kind of a genre nerd who think they own something just because they're obsessed with it. i'd say every time a real band like pallbearer get big they raise the public awareness for every doom band and bring more people to gigs. they're doing everyone in a band a favour by getting big, because even if most of the people coming to doom shows thanks to reading about pallbearer on a website are just tourists, there will be a few who stay, buy a shirt or an album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

yeah like weirdo, offensive shirt wearing, groundbreaking fully non-confortionist music never got popular? sex pistols, butthole surfers, swans, nick cave & the bad seeds... hell even black sabbath was scary back in the day. gently caress man, the list is endless. EYEHATEGOD, hah! WHITE friend of the family! those guys were all about ruffling feathers and they got big before the whole doom craze even hit at full force.

also mastodon wasn't in any way accessible in their first album, ti was straight up today is the day worship which makes sense since brann & the other dude played in TITD for a few years just before mastodon. agalloch was an old band by the time they got "big".
Eyehategod have no crossover appeal whatsoever lol

And Remission is Neurosis worship more than anything.

quote:

you're just wrong and looking at it from some kind of a genre nerd who think they own something just because they're obsessed with it. i'd say every time a real band like pallbearer get big they raise the public awareness for every doom band and bring more people to gigs. they're doing everyone in a band a favour by getting big, because even if most of the people coming to doom shows thanks to reading about pallbearer on a website are just tourists, there will be a few who stay, buy a shirt or an album.
I 100% agree with this though

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Eyehategod have no crossover appeal whatsoever lol

And Remission is Neurosis worship more than anything.

eyehategod headline world tours and sell more albums than most doom bands combined.

are you actually familiar with today is the day? cos lemme tell you, remission sounds exactly like them. neurosis was never that technical, even before enemy of the sun.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

eyehategod headline world tours and sell more albums than most doom bands combined.
World tours at what kind of venues? Because I've seen them twice in recent years at clubs that hold a couple hundred people. They're never going to be at Bonnaroo or have a record among Pitchfork's best of the year (well, that might change with them giving Power Trip BNM, but you get the point.

quote:

are you actually familiar with today is the day? cos lemme tell you, remission sounds exactly like them. neurosis was never that technical, even before enemy of the sun.

I am very familiar with Today is the Day, particularly In the Eyes of God. It doesn't sound like anything Mastodon ever did.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Except the rhythm section, right?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

World tours at what kind of venues? Because I've seen them twice in recent years at clubs that hold a couple hundred people. They're never going to be at Bonnaroo or have a record among Pitchfork's best of the year (well, that might change with them giving Power Trip BNM, but you get the point.

dude, they've played hellfest. they've played huge festivals. they have a lot more fans globally than pallbearer. they're a bigger band.

I am very familiar with Today is the Day, particularly In the Eyes of God. It doesn't sound like anything Mastodon ever did.

steve austin is one crazy fucker and changes styles every few years. if you don't hear it you don't hear it, but imo they sound very similar to both temple of the morning star and in the eyes of god. with a healthy dose of neurosis and high on fire, sure!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Parachute posted:

Except the rhythm section, right?

Except Brann anyway. Bill Kelliher plays bass on the TITD record, but guitar in Mastodon.

Dyna Soar posted:

dude, they've played hellfest. they've played huge festivals. they have a lot more fans globally than pallbearer. they're a bigger band.
OK, but aren't we talking about crossover appeal? Is Hellfest not primarily a metal festival?

quote:

steve austin is one crazy fucker and changes styles every few years. if you don't hear it you don't hear it, but imo they sound very similar to both temple of the morning star and in the eyes of god. with a healthy dose of neurosis and high on fire, sure!
Fair enough.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Except Brann anyway. Bill Kelliher plays bass on the TITD record, but guitar in Mastodon.

OK, but aren't we talking about crossover appeal? Is Hellfest not primarily a metal festival?

eh, i just thought we were talking about "offensive" bands getting the cold shoulder while more accessible bands get all the press. which is a ludicrous claim, the melvins were on a major for multiple albums for crissakes

eyehategod got an 8.0 on pitchfork by the way.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 28, 2017

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I 100% agree with this though

Right on! Even though Pallbearer sucks dick.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

well, if the press is inaccurate then it might make sense to be a bit annoyed. Also if the press is giving them attention at the expense of other, better bands, which maybe isn't the case here but has certainly happened in the past.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I've listened to Pallbearer once or twice. Not bad. Might check out their new album.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A human heart posted:

well, if the press is inaccurate then it might make sense to be a bit annoyed. Also if the press is giving them attention at the expense of other, better bands, which maybe isn't the case here but has certainly happened in the past.

"The press"

"the press"

I think you've found your real obsession.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
yeah well, we all know there's a finite amount of luck and success in the world and i guess pallbearer used up all that was reserved for doom bands

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 28, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

"The press"

"the press"

I think you've found your real obsession.

? i was just responding to that post, which used the same word

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Pallbearer's new album is good but can someone explain the ending of the I Saw the End music video

I mean I guess being an office worker with one of those clip on earphones is a pretty good symbol for existential angst but it's kind of an abrupt transition there

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Pallbearer is good but they're no Yob and therefore I don't get the hype

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Varg posted:

Pallbearer is good but they're no Yob and therefore I don't get the hype

:same:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Speaking of which, Mike Scheidt posted on Facebook that he's working on new solo and Yob material. :circlefap:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pallbearer palaver palate cleanser!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1R4jbnd10I

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

Speaking of which, Mike Scheidt posted on Facebook that he's working on new solo and Yob material. :circlefap:

nice, more acoustic yoga hall folk

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dyna Soar posted:

nice, more acoustic yoga hall folk

the gently caress

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

the gently caress

i assume you haven't heard mikes solo album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMZbjOL2a-g

can you smell the patchouli

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 29, 2017

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The Yob dudes being actual hippies is part of the charm though.

Also, lol:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dyna Soar posted:

i assume you haven't heard mikes solo album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMZbjOL2a-g

can you smell the patchouli

:stonklol:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
a bold declaration: Pallbearer is better than Mike's acoustic stuff.
I hate to sound like a dick and it's been a while since I listened to Mike's acoustic songs but I couldn't stomach them at the time.

It's pretty strange how Yob rules so hard but the acoustic stuff is just kind of :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

a bold declaration: Pallbearer is better than Mike's acoustic stuff.
I hate to sound like a dick and it's been a while since I listened to Mike's acoustic songs but I couldn't stomach them at the time.

It's pretty strange how Yob rules so hard but the acoustic stuff is just kind of :stare:

That poo poo loving sucks but it is so bad that it's fun to see how long I can go into a song without turning it off out of embarrassment for all involved.