Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

eat fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dear Prudence posted:

She killed herself. The woman who campaigned the semi-colon trend to fight suicide and mental health stigma killed herself.

This is tragic, but entirely unsurprising. Someone who devotes themselves to combatting mental health stigma likely has mental health issues themselves. That she died of depression or similar isn't as unusual as you might like to believe.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I bet there will unironically be ;;;;;; all over her funeral.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Knee posted:

AUG thread once again.

man, McLovin really let himself go.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

LanceHunter posted:

I honestly wonder if the semicolon tattoo was counter-productive. Like, I get that it's supposed to show that you made it past the (theoretical) worst moment in your life and continued, but really you'd just getting a permanent reminder on your skin about that worst moment. Romanticizing your own tragedy isn't usually an effective method of actually coping with it. Plus, there's the whole thing with building your identity out of your problems...

It's a pretty common theme unfortunately, there was an artist on some tattoo shop reality show who got a noose done around the base of his neck because he tried to kill himself that way. I mean I understand it's supposed to be this empowering thing or whatever but I would think the memory alone would be enough.

But then again most people will use any dumb rear end willy nilly poo poo reason to get a tattoo. So why not a suicide attempt reminder tattoo?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

LingcodKilla posted:

I could see how managers may not want to higher a suicidal person so you may want to hide it really good instead of your wrist.

What year are you living in that tattoos are a serious detriment? Like yeah, a tattoo on your face when applying to a government job wont do you any favors but an easily concealed by office attire isn't a game changer.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Psychobabble! posted:

What year are you living in that tattoos are a serious detriment? Like yeah, a tattoo on your face when applying to a government job wont do you any favors but an easily concealed by office attire isn't a game changer.

With any kind of public facing customer service or retail role, there's still a quite a lot of stigma, and that's without getting into tattoos with subject matter might be a bit more controversial.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Lifeglug posted:

With any kind of public facing customer service or retail role, there's still a quite a lot of stigma, and that's without getting into tattoos with subject matter might be a bit more controversial.

Some places, like San diego. It abnormal for someone to NOT have a tattoo.

Face tattoos and crap are still a retail detriment. And who knows about the high end banker scene. But arms and even high chest neck are the norm for all service industry and everybody.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Pingiivi posted:

On the subject of laser removal this is a pretty good documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA1MJWIhJTA

Agreed, it's p. touching.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Lifeglug posted:

It's really depending on where you work and what company. Of course Bloomingdales or whatever high-end store, they won't ever allow piercings/tattoos. But if you work in a big city most places don't give a gently caress unless you are like that cat lady or have 20 rings in your lips. Suburbs and, most likel,y small towns care. The Target in my moms suburb only hires standard looking people, whereas the Targets in the city have people with tons of piercings and colored hair (pink, green, etc). When I used to work at qy a place where corporate would sometimes come to inspect us, I'd just put a bandaid over my piercings and say I had acne.

I remember back in even 2004 a Jimmy Johns in the city had a pink haired, tattooed girl with tons of lip piercings working there.

Summary: if you have body mods work in a big city.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
But of course if you have a visible dick or vagina tattoo no one will hire you, and rightfully so.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

It's a pretty common theme unfortunately, there was an artist on some tattoo shop reality show who got a noose done around the base of his neck because he tried to kill himself that way. I mean I understand it's supposed to be this empowering thing or whatever but I would think the memory alone would be enough.

But then again most people will use any dumb rear end willy nilly poo poo reason to get a tattoo. So why not a suicide attempt reminder tattoo?

I've considered a tongue-in-cheek dotted line with scissors tattoo on my wrist since my arms are noticeably covered in old self harm scars :lol:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

The Snoo posted:

I've considered a tongue-in-cheek dotted line with scissors tattoo on my wrist since my arms are noticeably covered in old self harm scars :lol:

Don't do that. I have a ton of scars, some of which are horrifically bad. I got a good artist who worked the tattoo shapes into the lines of the scars, and no one has ever noticed the scars. He had worked on another dude who had the same issue a few months before me, too.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Thin Privilege posted:

Don't do that. I have a ton of scars, some of which are horrifically bad. I got a good artist who worked the tattoo shapes into the lines of the scars, and no one has ever noticed the scars. He had worked on another dude who had the same issue a few months before me, too.

Curious where you got it done?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

I'm glad you were able to have yours dealt with in a cool way. I would love to get my scars and bad self-poked tattoos dealt with, but my entire forearms, elbow to wrist, are scarred and short of like, solid black sleeves, I doubt they can be covered :suicide:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
That's assuming they want it hidden though.

I'd avoid scissors if only because it's pretty overdone. Do a cat, or a samurai, or an IKEA man looking confused.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Curious where you got it done?

A very expensive artist
Tattoos: you get what you paid for.

The Snoo posted:

I'm glad you were able to have yours dealt with in a cool way. I would love to get my scars and bad self-poked tattoos dealt with, but my entire forearms, elbow to wrist, are scarred and short of like, solid black sleeves, I doubt they can be covered :suicide:

The fact that mine's a coverup is only noticed by people who are super into tattoos or if I point it out. Even if it's a pitch black blob a good artist can work with it. Make it into a planet or galaxy or something. Unless you're that moron who had glasses tattooed on his face you're probably fine.

For content, 2 coverups:

Original says "you are my life" BUT this is either another Slavic language (Ukrainian? Bulgarian? Etc) or a horribly misspelled Russian tattoo, because in Russian it's supposed to be ты моё жизнь, not ты мая жизнь, or what it actually looks like, ты мая ежизно with very bad handwriting. In English it's like "you aer my ehlife." Honestly I think it's the latter considering how many people get the worst spelling in their tattoos in English.

The right one is literally what the tattoo I was removing looked like. Ughhhjj

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Apr 4, 2017

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
The second one should have been made into a cute owl

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Tibl max exuzho!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

there wolf posted:

or an IKEA man looking confused.

Everyone should do this.

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've mentioned the Proud Boys in another thread, a movement so lame that a literal description of them just sounds like over-the-top parody.

It's a "Western Supremacist (totally not racist)" men's movement, founded by a guy who helped found Vice Media, that named themselves after a showtune from Disney's Aladdin (the stage show, not the movie), and they've gotten in a couple scuffles with AntiFa at NYU in Berkeley which mostly end up with Proud Boys pepper-spraying each other accidentally or getting arrested for punching a reporter. Basically imagine something between a Hammerskin Nation skinhead and a Brony, but even more lame.

But in any case, the 3rd degree of their initiation is to get a Proud Boy tattoo, so I've enjoyed idly googling up examples and watching to see if the trend increases.

Isn't Uhuru the Swahili (african) word for freedom?

ricketyvickyt
Sep 9, 2010
So going back to dodgy tattoo removal techniques, this just came up on my facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Djordanjr2/videos/10212955329134793/

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
what the everloving poo poo

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Holy gently caress that's probably the stupidest thing I've seen in a while. What exactly is gonna be better about a massive hosed-up burn scar?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Have fun with that infection.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

mds2 posted:

Have fun with that infection.

Exactly what I was thinking, holy gently caress.

If you're busted enough that you're hot knifing a tattoo off, I'd bet you're also busted enough to not keep that thing sterile. Geez.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

ricketyvickyt posted:

So going back to dodgy tattoo removal techniques, this just came up on my facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Djordanjr2/videos/10212955329134793/

This was posted on April 1st. Please be fake.

Or maybe please be real.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

These clickbaity 1,000 DEGREES HOT KNIFE videos have gone too far, I tell ya.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Holy gently caress that's probably the stupidest thing I've seen in a while. What exactly is gonna be better about a massive hosed-up burn scar?

Well, he could cover up the scar with the same tattoo so it's cool.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The burn scar might not mention daddy's cummies.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

The Snoo posted:

Yeah some people just find it funny to be ironic about such things. It makes them feel better.

Really it's only a problem when the thing you're joking about is not in the past. I was tempted to to put up a print of Echo and Narcissus in my house when I was in a relationship with a narcissist. Obviously, I should have just left instead of putting up a painting that basically says "MY RELATIONSHIP IS TERRIBLE!!" and luckily I did before I actually went through with ordering it.

Which makes this colon lady a bit of a mixed case, since obviously her mental health concerns were not in the past.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Which makes this colon lady a bit of a mixed case, since obviously her mental health concerns were not in the past.

Almost nobody's depression is fully in the past.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

I think my problem is that the semicolon tattoo is meant to be a reminder of "your lowest moment", because a semicolon ends a sentence without ending everything. Likewise, you could have ended your life without doing so.

The problem is what happens when you're still having those "lowest moments" after getting tattooed. Hopefully you'd take it as a positive sign, that you were this bad before and can continue on without doing something regrettable. At worst, you may take the reminder of your suicidal past as a sign that you're never truly getting better than your lowest point and it's always a temporary improvement.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Subjunctive posted:

Exactly this. Depression never really goes away; it just goes into remission. If you're lucky, you won't relapse.

I wasn't so lucky. :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

chitoryu12 posted:

I think my problem is that the semicolon tattoo is meant to be a reminder of "your lowest moment"

It's not a reminder of the attempt, it's a reminder that you survived it. That's not your lowest point, but rather the start of improvement. It's like getting a tattoo of the date of your divorce.

There is no point at which someone with serious depression can say "whew, glad that's behind me". It's always going to get worse and better. The boat leaks, you just get better at bailing and you get used to wearing wet shoes. Nobody forgets a suicide attempt.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I wasn't so lucky. :(

Right there with you. :smith::hf::smith:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Won't get you beaten up if you walk into the wrong bar? That kind of absolute erasure on the cheap just makes me think of people getting rid of white power poo poo or old gang tattoos.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

there wolf posted:

Won't get you beaten up if you walk into the wrong bar? That kind of absolute erasure on the cheap just makes me think of people getting rid of white power poo poo or old gang tattoos.

I was thinking prison shower myself.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Douchi
est 1995

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU