Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The 305 and 360 I can keep good control on, but I'm not anywhere near the leaders in the top split. I need some more time in the car because I can't really figure out where or how I'm losing the time yet.

The 410 I can barely keep on the drat track. Also, wheelies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
If you can tear yourself away from dirt, Nürburgring 24 is in just over two weeks. Four classes, Audi, Porsche, Kia (lol), and Mazda. Sign up here if you're interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PXAGd7pa8CV8PUOrx-0X3eicHwescrffNlkTZOsyGyY/edit#gid=1858028113

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Is there a way to judge how fast a track will be before starting a race/qual/practice in dirt? Currently I just see what happens but there have been races (street stock/USA) where I run 25.5 without really trying too hard and ones where I struggle to keep the average above a 26 flat but they were all during similar conditions temperature/humiditywise/daytime. If track conditions shouldn't really influence times heavily I think I'll just blame my drinking or trying too hard. Does overdriving a SS have similar effects on tire temps/grip as in road cars? Anyway, still think this is an aweosme update, though rallycross is kind of meh as a concept it could be great in Iracing judging by current mud physics

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think you see until you get into the qual session. What determines how the track is with dirt? Is it random for the session or set for the week or what? I was doing a practice before a race and was doing great, getting 14.5s easy. Then the race session goes up and it seems like the track is totally used up and I'm running in the 15s. It was pretty annoying.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

With the dirt Sprints you wanna keep the wheel as straight as possible through the turns. But with the Street Stocks, you wanna go ahead a crack that wheel into full lock.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It sure feels like the actual track usage is random, but I don't have enough races to say for sure.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What they do is telepathically uplink with your brain to find out what you're most practiced on, then make it as different as possible, that way you can never ever feel comfortable.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

Is there any gooncar stuff this evening?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Just been driving a few cars about the 'Ring to see what one I'd want to run for the 24 hour race: the Porsche is actually pretty fun. I'll probably end up binning it somewhere during the race if we run it because of the lack of any driving aids because I'm bad, but I'd have fun doing it!

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

The hardest thing in iracing is driving the DW12 on dead tyres; especially since on the 1.5 mile tracks where that's like after 30 laps (a fuel run is 50ish).

In the last race I ran we had a 50 lap green flag run; I was running third and mid stint the two cars ahead of me pitted for tyres and I thought that I'd stay out, thinking that I'd be able to lead all of the way, or at least until a yellow came out when I'd be able to pit for tyres before anyone unlapped me, After 20 of the hardest laps I've ever run (Texas is normally simple since its flat all of the way around but on done tyres its incredibly hard, you have to lift and be incredibly precise with your steering or throttle application off the corner or you'll just spin like a top: like I'm pretty sure being out by like 10 degrees will cause you to spin) I get passed on the back straight on lap 71; three laps from the end. I gained a position and honestly it was fun if rather nerve-wracking; but had a yellow happened on lap 71 I'd have probably won rather than finishing 7 seconds behind the leader - that's how much slower those old tyres are. Its what makes the DW12 actually interesting on the big ovals: adds a chunk of strategy rather than it just being a foot to the floor draft-fest.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I reinstalled last night, missed it.

My keyboard lights up like a shift light now? Anyone know more about this? Anyone know how to customize it a bit?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It might be a manufacturer thing, my Logitech mouse does the shift light thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They added some Logitech stuff a while ago that lights up your devices.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I've got such an itch to play this again. However it's been 4+ years since I last touched it, and it involves transporting all my stuff up from my parents house where it's stashed to my new place and then convincing my girlfriend that it totally doesn't take up that much space in the office, so in light of all that effort I have some questions:

Still good for casual racing? I should be able to manage a couple of races a week.
Is the Skip barber still popular?
Is my G25 still going to do the business once I get the layers of dust off of it, or do I really need a new wheel/pedal set?
Any additions in the last 4 years to sweeten the deal? I saw something the other day about dirt racing, hows that playing out?

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

NtotheTC posted:

I've got such an itch to play this again. However it's been 4+ years since I last touched it, and it involves transporting all my stuff up from my parents house where it's stashed to my new place and then convincing my girlfriend that it totally doesn't take up that much space in the office, so in light of all that effort I have some questions:

Still good for casual racing? I should be able to manage a couple of races a week.
Is my G25 still going to do the business once I get the layers of dust off of it, or do I really need a new wheel/pedal set?
Any additions in the last 4 years to sweeten the deal? I saw something the other day about dirt racing, hows that playing out?

1. Yes
2. Yes, nearly every race goes official and most have multiple splits in my (eu) tz
3. Yes, g25 and 27 are both still servicable. The g29 isn't an upgrade really so I'd stick with what you have unless you want to get much higher quality stuff
4. Theres a Porsche now (singular for the time being, more coming), the Ring is a great addition if only to put in some chill practice laps, graphics are improving steadily, windscreens get dirty, VR support is very good. Tire model has been improving steadily, I think 4 years ago car feeling was significantly different. But i can't tell since it happened slowly and I've only been subbed for 2 years.
Dirt has been added and while it's still too early to gauge long term popularity it definitely got off to a good start. Some neat car/league additions, audi gto and nissan gtp imsa being significant 'recent' examples. It appears a new damage model is being worked on but obviously no eta except for 'at some point'

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

NtotheTC posted:

Might be worth mentioning that iRacing just upgraded to DX11 so if 'all your stuff' includes an old PC to play it on make sure it will be compatible.

Fuzz_83
Nov 9, 2016
I just added my name to the 24 hour race.

I will actually be coaching / driving that weekend IRL, so I am busy during the days, only the evening / night I am free.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's time to talk about New Gooncar Seasons and I've got some plans.

Sunday Gooncar

The traditional slot, keeping the Skips going but trying a few more free/slam dunk purchase tracks to try to keep numbers up. Sorry about Richmond but I made a bunch of people buy it so they're getting at least 4 seasons before we decide not enough people will buy it for it to be worthwhile (even though it owns. But buy Iowa first).

April 23 Okayama Full*
April 30 Phoenix 2007*
May 7 Summit Point Full*
May 14 Iowa
May 21 Road Atlanta Short
May 28 Richmond
June 4 New Hampshire road + oval double header

The main change I'm thinking about here if any is putting Laguna Seca in place of RAtlanta for ~numbers~ reasons.

Now I'm sure a bunch of you are all "but where is Oulton? That track fuckin owns mate" and I'm glad you mentioned it, because next up:

Friday Gooncar

We don't get good numbers for this so I have a plan to fix that. First, a track list:

April 21 Brands Hatch GP
April 28 Oulton Park w/o Hislop
May 5 Donington National
May 12 Silverstone International (the cut in half one, it's quite good I promise)
May 19 Brands Hatch Indy
May 26 Donington GP

Yes, this is me shamelessly making a series calendar out of all the tracks I know super well. It's a theme, shut up. Now I know we haven't been pulling the numbers on Fridays, so I was thinking: how about we open the league up to pubs, at least for a little while until we can farm some regulars to fill out the grids? Who knows. Come up with a better idea, idk.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Might be worth mentioning that iRacing just upgraded to DX11 so if 'all your stuff' includes an old PC to play it on make sure it will be compatible.

Good shout, thanks. My PC is a lot more up to date than my sim rig luckily so it can handle it. It took four hours of driving and a pain in the rear end shuffling the office furniture around but everything is set up now! Had time for a lap around Lime Rock in the Skippy then remembered that without good FFB/rotation settings the G27 feels really weird to drive with. According to this site the process has changed since last time I raced (no more 106% Overall effects etc). Anyone able to confirm if these are mostly up to date? I vaguely remember for the Skippy at least it was better to lower the degrees of rotation so that it "locked" at 160% or something but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

I run with full rotation in logitech profiler, iracing autolocks the range to the correct value. Ff is fiddly, basically trial and error is my usual approach.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just set your wheel lock to Max and do the calibration in game, iracing will figure the rest out. As for ffb, drive around the track at full speed making sure to stay on track and don't hit any curbs or big bumps. I forget which, but one of the black boxes has ffb strength. After you drive a few laps it will calculate what your strength should be and pop up a check box that says auto. That will set your ffb strength to what it thinks it should be after your laps. Do that a few times and it should dial everything in.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
:ducksiren: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tjcr7lgx7e4zr6/nurburg24race.sto?dl=0 nurburg 24 miata setup, feels like it gets a little too squirrely a couple laps in, might be worth looking into it, but it's pretty fast. :ducksiren:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:siren: Wingless sprints :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEwM77kWyxs

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

They are also scanning Knoxville Raceway and a dirt Modified car right now according to Steve Myers' Twitter.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Practice session for the 24hr in 4hrs 20 mins from this post (2200GMT/2300BST) get in and git gud

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I don't have time to edit the spreadsheet but I'm not around tomorrow afternoon, playing Cricket.

What are we driving anyway? Been practicing the Mazda and the Porsche a wee bit

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I can't find the sim racing thread so I thought I'd ask here. I found this at a cheap surplus store and was wondering if it was a good deal for what's included

http://i.imgur.com/a8GU9FFh.jpg

Quick googling would say yes but I thought I'd run it by you all first.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

dentist toy box posted:

I can't find the sim racing thread so I thought I'd ask here. I found this at a cheap surplus store and was wondering if it was a good deal for what's included

Yes that's a killer deal

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

dentist toy box posted:

If it all works, that looks like a solid deal.

Sim racing thread: Here, or come hang out in the Discord channel

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Vando posted:

April 23 Okayama Full*

So, did this not happen?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I posted that calendar for thoughts and nobody had any thoughts so I assumed people wanted a break from iRacing for a bit

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I haven't played since December. :ohdear:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Time Attack and a new UI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXkFpfQm1TM

Is this replacing the Time Trials?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Probably not. Time Trials is just a way to get SR for whatever car/track combo you like that week. This looks like hand picked combinations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Very down for time attack

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

It's gonna be real fuckin' dumb if I have to launch the game just to look at schedules or check my stats or whatever. Hopefully the new interface is still web based and it's just all accessible both in game and via browser.

Time attack seems cool though.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I just picked this up with one of the discount codes in the OP, thanks! I just completed my first race at PIR in the MX-5 and wasn't completely horrible, so it was a good start. I still have no clue how I'm supposed to do the first set of corners off of the oval, though. Where do you go to find recordings of fast laps to see the actual race line? On youtube there are lots of uploads but it's tough to find ones from good racers in the rookie cars.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

The iracing forums, while often terrible otherwise, have decently active rookie series subforums. Very likely there are weekly guides and dast/medium/slow times posted for whatever track you need. Rookie tracks don't really change so there's also a lot of older stuff, the lap times won't be comparable but general advice is.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, turn 1 at Old Phoenix Road is just a pain. Not much in the way of reference points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

welp I"m back.. after going to the races and watching a few I've got the pretend racecar bug..

Kinda sad that promotions are nearly nill at this point, I figured i"d get an e-mail or two since I ran out of subscription in November. maybe they are going to my junk mail.

Maybe I"ll give dirt a try.