Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Franchescanado posted:

Did you even see the "keyboard solo" scene?

yeah but that was so loving weird I actually kinda enjoyed it? reminded me sorta of the weird mystic space women that randomly board the ship in Space Mutiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm pretty sure Patton Oswalt is in everything all of a sudden it because after his wife died, rather than letting his well documented depression take over, he took on roles to keep working so now to dwell on it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Franchescanado posted:

It would not be good for the new show or Netflix to have linked them together only for new viewers to tune into a "new" show that looked like it was straight out of the 90's or early 2000's.

Fair point. Maybe have the new season promo as the last video on the classic episode list in case old school MSTies watching old episodes had been living under a rock.

Either way I just hope it's getting enough exposure and views for Netflix to greenlight another season :ohdear:

HannibalBarca posted:

maybe my brain has just been warped by a decade of deliberately watching bad movies, but Time Travelers seems like it would be fine on its own terms.

I legitimately enjoyed it on its own. It's one of those "Yeah it's bad, but it's still fun to watch" kind of b-movies. Always felt that way about The Magic Sword and maybe a handful of other episodes, too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I'm pretty sure Patton Oswalt is in everything all of a sudden it because after his wife died, rather than letting his well documented depression take over, he took on roles to keep working so now to dwell on it.

I mean, I'm not blaming him, but there are plenty of people for whom that could be true that wouldn't be offered the roles. Plus, if that's his reason, he is justifiably going to fill up his calendar as fast as he can. I guess a lot of his stuff is one-offs, though, which should be easy to schedule around, or other indie-ish sort of things like Bojack Horseman.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Patton Oswalt is also one of the few comedians from his generation that's pretty much set on money for doing projects he believed in, and now only does projects that he finds interesting, believes in, or allows him to work with friends.

Like Adam Sandler, but without selling out or allowing their quality to decline.

Oswalt's just a great guy, from everything I've ever heard about him.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Bruteman posted:

Neglecting work and watching Starcrash again, and also googling for trivia on it.

Don't forget also that Marjoe Gortner (Akton) was the subject of the documentary that won best documentary picture for 1972. It was about how he used his acting skills to make money by being an evangelist strictly to make cash (he was ordained when he was 4 years old):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NwKD9laZw

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

cry wilderness is when i became a believer in the new season. my friend and i loving lost it when bigfoot first appeared

Actor in terrible Bigfoot costume in weird red lighting: PAUL! YOUR FATHER IS IN DANGER! HE NEEDS YOUR HELP!
Servo: I've shouted in front of three different boarding schools, I'll eventually find the right Paul!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

InfiniteZero posted:

Don't forget also that Marjoe Gortner (Akton) was the subject of the documentary that won best documentary picture for 1972. It was about how he used his acting skills to make money by being an evangelist strictly to make cash (he was ordained when he was 4 years old):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NwKD9laZw

Yeah. He was also in the '70s adaptation of Food of the Gods, which would be great MST3K fodder.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I guess I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed the first episode's introduction and song and first invention exchange.

Jonah's "Mm-hmm" and Tom's "...for complete gibberish" in the first few minutes of Reptilicus cracked me up, a good example of "less is more". I agree that the rapid-fire (or rapid-reading) of some riffs can detract from some of the jokes, but they're landing enough that I'm really optimistic about the rest of this season.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Carnival Magic is incomprehensible.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I loved Joel in this skit

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

twistedmentat posted:

He was announced for this before his wife died, I believe.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

kalensc posted:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed the first episode's introduction and song and first invention exchange.

Jonah's "Mm-hmm" and Tom's "...for complete gibberish" in the first few minutes of Reptilicus cracked me up, a good example of "less is more". I agree that the rapid-fire (or rapid-reading) of some riffs can detract from some of the jokes, but they're landing enough that I'm really optimistic about the rest of this season.

I was on the fence until the 'she must be a Kickstarter backer' exchange.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TrixRabbi posted:

He was announced for this before his wife died, I believe.

I meant the other stuff he's been doing.

Carradine is so drunk during Wizards 2. He's not quite falling down, but he is at the level were standing still isn't as easy as it should be.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Can I just say how much I appreciated the fact that they noticed in Cry Wilderness that the eagle wasn't an indigenous species and made a riff about it? I spent half the movie trying to identify that thing. I think it's an African Fish Eagle?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think the makers of Cry Wilderness just had a whole bunch of footage of woodland animals from the chopping block of a nature documentary and decided to write a movie around it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I meant the other stuff he's been doing.

Carradine is so drunk during Wizards 2. He's not quite falling down, but he is at the level were standing still isn't as easy as it should be.

I didn't recognize him until the very end, partially because he's so young and partially because I usually identify him by his distinctive way of speaking, which is tough to do when he's delivering all of his lines plastered.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

I think the makers of Cry Wilderness just had a whole bunch of footage of woodland animals from the chopping block of a nature documentary and decided to write a movie around it.

Joel said on CBB that the popular theory is they had a petting zoo / wildlife refuge.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Can I just say how much I appreciated the fact that they noticed in Cry Wilderness that the eagle wasn't an indigenous species and made a riff about it? I spent half the movie trying to identify that thing. I think it's an African Fish Eagle?

That had me rolling as well.

That and all of Crow's "Bang!"s

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I loved the riff they made on Paul and writing Corinthians. I knew it was going to be a good episode from there.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I loved the riff they made on Paul and writing Corinthians. I knew it was going to be a good episode from there.

Mine was when Jonah steadied the Bigfoot "statue" from moving.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pakled posted:

Every shot that wasn't stock footage the animals were tied to tree stumps. I just thought it was weird that evolution provided pre-collared animals.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Don't say Grand Wizard.

I also like how the referenced the Bigfood Medallion in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2.

Bicyclops posted:

I didn't recognize him until the very end, partially because he's so young and partially because I usually identify him by his distinctive way of speaking, which is tough to do when he's delivering all of his lines plastered.

He was clearly fulled sauced at the end where he declares Slater king.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Graham Chapman was sober when they filmed Monty Python and the Holy Grail compared to David Carradine in the bad wizards film.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I did my part by telling my parents the new season was out and on Netflix when I met them for Easter brunch.

By the way, I think this is the first full-color season MST3k ever had. Even the half-length season 7 and Sci Fi era had black-and-white movies mixed in.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It's uncomfortably close to Rollergator, isn't it?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's uncomfortably close to Rollergator, isn't it?

It really really is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In case you missed it, MST3k does Stranger Things

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
If we get a second season, I hope there's a cheesy black and white movie mixed in. I love the drama genre movies in the like of High School Big Shot, The Violent Years, and Girl from Lover's Lane. Depressing, sure, but I laugh at pain.

Or something like, I Accuse My Parents.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 17, 2017

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Compendium posted:

If we get a second season, I hope there's a cheesy black and white movie mixed in. I love the drama genre movies in the like of High School Big Shot, The Violent Years, and Girl from Lover's Lane. Depressing, sure, but I laugh at pain.

Entirely agreed. I love insane horror and sci-fi cheese and yet "I Accuse My Parents" is one of my favourite episodes.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!
Do any episodes this season have shorts, because if not, I'd love for those to come back next season.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'd honestly be happier if they decided to do shorts in the "off season", so while they're working on the 13-14 full movie episodes, we can get 3-6 shorts to watch 6 months after the main season launches. (similar to the Bojack Christmas special). The streaming model's perfect for it.

New seasons in spring, new shorts in fall. Hell, do it for Turkey Day.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ballz posted:

I legitimately enjoyed it on its own. It's one of those "Yeah it's bad, but it's still fun to watch" kind of b-movies. Always felt that way about The Magic Sword and maybe a handful of other episodes, too.

I think they called out The Magic Sword as pretty watchable in its own right in the Encyclopedia. Its definitely the best Burt I Gordon film in existence.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only episode I was bored to death by was Red Zone Cuba. It's just so meandering and even the riffs can't keep it interesting.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

The only episode I was bored to death by was Red Zone Cuba. It's just so meandering and even the riffs can't keep it interesting.

I get what you're saying. I can see that. Cool, cool. Also, I want to fight you because I'm a big supporter of the potential of RZC. I still think there's a good movie in there. I so think the riffs are ok and I can watch the MST3k episode.

Let's never meet in an alley though, friend.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Crow: I'm not even sure Carnival Magic is a real movie and we just watched it!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I like that they recognise the guy from TIME TRAVELLERS when he shows up in AVALANCHE.

AVALANCHE question: What the gently caress happens to Robert Forster in that movie. He's the guy in every disaster movie who no one will listen to and then as soon as the avalanche hits the vanishes from the movie. And then Rock Hudson, who's an rear end in a top hat, suddenly turns into the hero. It really feels like at some point, their roles got switched. Forster just turns up once the fun is over, and largely just stands around while the totally heterosexual Rock Hudson saves people.

Also, Mia Farrow is remarkably bad in that movie.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 17, 2017

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Rock Hudson is always the hero in every movie you watch. Decades after he died he is still the hero.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

I like that they recognise the guy from TIME TRAVELLERS when he shows up in AVALANCHE.

AVALANCHE question: What the gently caress happens to Robert Forster in that movie. He's the guy in every disaster movie who no one will listen to and then as soon as the avalanche hits the vanishes from the movie. And then Rock Hudson, who's an rear end in a top hat, suddenly turns into the hero.

Was he a hero? He lost the girl whom he emotionally abused in the past after constantly assaulting her, lost his alcoholic mother, lost his business investment(s), and then had to admit he was an rear end in a top hat in the end. When was he called a hero?

And Forster showed up at the end to wish Mia Farrow good luck in her future without pressuring her into anything romantic. Pretty nice guy, considering what abuse her character's been through

edit:

DrVenkman posted:

Also, Mia Farrow is remarkably bad in that movie.

Her acting is bad and her hair is worse.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
She looks like Shelly Duval's little sister tbh. She's got everything but the teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was really confusing in Avalanche how the guy bringing up all the problems re: the development and potential avalanches is just some random photographer who doesn't even live there full time.