Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

kingcom posted:

Brawn, Agility, Intelligence, Cunning, Willpower and Presence are the good and cool stats my friend.

What does Willpower do besides determine your defense against some bullshit that you could block with Cunning or Presence or Intellect? How do you use Willpower actively?

Sounds like you've got one too many stats there.

E: poo poo new page...D&D's stats are awful because there's no balance between active and passive usage. Strength is 95% active, Constitution is 100% passive, and Dexterity is as useful as the previous two combined.

OutsideAngel fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Klungar posted:

The build list I was linked to had a STR Barb guide and a DEX Barb guide, basically trading damage and Rage and Reckless Attack for Ranged combat, higher AC and saves and damage reduction. Sounds like STR is the way to go then.

With Barb, you're going to be using Reckless Attack a lot anyway. For any enemy that had about an even chance to hit you, advantage is the equivalent of getting a +5 to hit and doubling crit range. Adding an extra +1-2 to that from increased DEX doesn't really do much for you. DEX Barb is really a niche build sort of thing, like a Barb/Rogue multiclass that's more about battlefield control than dealing damage.

As far as Frenzy Barb vs Totem Barb, Bear looks a lot better on paper than it actually plays. Surviving a fireball that downs everyone else just means you get swarmed and downed in short order. Wolf is great if there's a lot of other melee damage-dealers in the party (and the optional flanking rule isn't being used), because killing enemies is party-wide damage mitigation. Similarly, once per long rest, Frenzy Barb gets to deal +50% damage for up to 9 turns. Eagle is more suited to the DEX-based grappler, so you're really just better off grabbing a couple levels of rogue.

Reene posted:

Arivia is a woman, & there's no reason to be a jerk.

Regardless of gender, Arivia has never played 5e, detests it, and has been probated three times in the last two months for posting in this thread. She's a broken record with nothing left to contribute to the discussion besides shitposts; you can accurately predict the content of her posts when you see her name at the top of them. If advising a person new to the thread to ignore her is "being a jerk", then I feel completely justified in being a jerk.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OutsideAngel posted:

What does Willpower do besides determine your defense against some bullshit that you could block with Cunning or Presence or Intellect? How do you use Willpower actively?

Sounds like you've got one too many stats there.

E: poo poo new page...D&D's stats are awful because there's no balance between active and passive usage. Strength is 95% active, Constitution is 100% passive, and Dexterity is as useful as the previous two combined.
Those are the Edge of the Empire ability scores. Roughly speaking, each one is either the Brute Force or Subtlety aspect of your Physical (Brawn and Agility), Mental (Intelligence and Cunning), or Emotional (Willpower and Presence) makeup.

Willpower's three abilities in EotE are Coercion (do what I want or else), Discipline (a lot of other stuff you'd have as a willpower save in D&D, including your default defence against Deceit, Leadership, and Coercion, but also stuff like staring matches), and Vigilance (your initiative roller when surprised, as well as a few other things like "We forgot to bring that thing! Can I say I remembered to bring that thing?" "Roll Vigilance")

By comparison, presence's skills are Charm (do what I want because you like me), Leadership (do what I want because I'm in charge), Negotiation (do what I want because I will pay you), and Cool (your initiative roller when you're the initiator or in social situations, and your default defence against Charm and Negotiate).

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

If you roll a critical hit and have an ability that lets you "roll an additional weapon dice/die" when this happens, and you are using a 2d6 weapon, does that mean you roll an additional 2d6, or just an additional 1d6? If it's the latter, is it better to use a 1d12 weapon to capitalize on the critical damage bonuses, even if it means doing slightly less damage than a 2d6 weapon on normal attacks?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Klungar posted:

If you roll a critical hit and have an ability that lets you "roll an additional weapon dice/die" when this happens, and you are using a 2d6 weapon, does that mean you roll an additional 2d6, or just an additional 1d6? If it's the latter, is it better to use a 1d12 weapon to capitalize on the critical damage bonuses, even if it means doing slightly less damage than a 2d6 weapon on normal attacks?

If you're talking about that half orc thing then yes, that's correct.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Novum posted:

If you're talking about that half orc thing then yes, that's correct.

Half-Orc and Barbarian seem to both have this ability, so if I'm understanding this correctly (since I'm not quite sure which proposition your 'yes' refers to), a Half-Orc Barbarian with a Greataxe does 3d12(1d12+1d12+1d12) weapon die damage, where as a Half-Orc Barbarian with a Greatsword does 4d6(2d6+1d6+1d6) weapon die damage?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Klungar posted:

Half-Orc and Barbarian seem to both have this ability, so if I'm understanding this correctly (since I'm not quite sure which proposition your 'yes' refers to), a Half-Orc Barbarian with a Greataxe does 3d12(1d12+1d12+1d12) weapon die damage, where as a Half-Orc Barbarian with a Greatsword does 4d6(2d6+1d6+1d6) weapon die damage?

Sort of? That's how we do it at my table but the internet interprets it like: crits double your damage dice, but the half orc trait only adds ONE damage die so a level 1 crit from a half orc with a greatsword looks like 2d6+2d6+1d6+modifier and with a greataxe its 1d12+1d12+1d12+modifier

Further up the barbarian tree I think its worded the same way. So a level 17 half orc barbarian gets like 6d12 on a crit.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why would anyone play this when 4e has like quadruple the amount of material and actually takes a stab at being playable mechanics wise? Why subject yourself to a system that doesn't even have a clear way to make encounters that won't kill your players? Seriously they release nothing but adventures for this.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Fsmhunk posted:

Why would anyone play this when 4e has like quadruple the amount of material and actually takes a stab at being playable mechanics wise? Why subject yourself to a system that doesn't even have a clear way to make encounters that won't kill your players? Seriously they release nothing but adventures for this.

Is that the one that looks/plays like a video ga-*is pulled away and thrown into a trunk with a black bag covering head*

Seriously though. It's got the tabletop reputation akin to a sex offender. My grandma doesn't know what an rpg is but she probably heard 4e is an mmo on paper.

Sucks man.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 27, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Fsmhunk posted:

Because it is a bit lighter of a system than 4e and some people honestly enjoy the more readily accessible reality warping spells in 5e. It's a different style game that appeals to different people.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fsmhunk posted:

People who believe in an inherently unequal system do so because they believe they will be on top as a part of it

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I only play it because we have a league at the local comic shop and I've met some cool people (and not so cool people) so I try to make the best of it.

If it were my choice we would play 13th Age, or I would make everyone learn how to be tacticool and play 4th.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I love 4e and will defend it to the death, but I do think that the biggest legitimate criticism for it amidst a sea of pure bullshit is the fact that it's very heavy and crunchy. It suits my taste, but I understand that people often want something simpler, balance and quality of the mechanics notwithstanding.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Novum posted:

Sort of? That's how we do it at my table but the internet interprets it like: crits double your damage dice, but the half orc trait only adds ONE damage die so a level 1 crit from a half orc with a greatsword looks like 2d6+2d6+1d6+modifier and with a greataxe its 1d12+1d12+1d12+modifier

Further up the barbarian tree I think its worded the same way. So a level 17 half orc barbarian gets like 6d12 on a crit.

This is the thing that agonized me. Also I have great weapon master or whatever from paladin fighting style so when I swing and get a 1 on damage I get to reroll it, so, do I want to swing this maul for 2d6 for twice the chance to goose the damage up? Or this greataxe hoping for that crit to slap another d12 on it from being a half orc. I don't know.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Krinkle posted:

This is the thing that agonized me. Also I have great weapon master or whatever from paladin fighting style so when I swing and get a 1 on damage I get to reroll it, so, do I want to swing this maul for 2d6 for twice the chance to goose the damage up? Or this greataxe hoping for that crit to slap another d12 on it from being a half orc. I don't know.

I'm looking forward to rolling up a simple half orc barbarian next time we run something new so I can just carry around some d12s and roll to attack instead of a full compliment of every size die and keeping track of spell slots and save dcs and ranged magic attacks and melee spell attacks and verbal/somatic components

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

Regardless of gender, Arivia has never played 5e, detests it, and has been probated three times in the last two months for posting in this thread. She's a broken record with nothing left to contribute to the discussion besides shitposts; you can accurately predict the content of her posts when you see her name at the top of them. If advising a person new to the thread to ignore her is "being a jerk", then I feel completely justified in being a jerk.

Actually I've played both the Starter Set adventure and whatever the first adventure was. I check out a lot of 5e stuff to see what they've done to my precious FR.

5e was a mess from the beginning. It's creators harassed a friend of mine off the Internet. I gave it a go and stopped because if I want to play an unbalanced D&D with good tummy feels, I have shelves of 3e/Pathfinder stuff. If I want to play something better, then 5e definitely isn't it.

And I guess you're as good a diviner as King Zalathorm was, if you knew that entire post about the ethics of magic in the Forgotten Realms before I made it. Can you tell me what my life will be like in 10 years, thanks.

You can gently caress off, jerk.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Is that the one that looks/plays like a video ga-*is pulled away and thrown into a trunk with a black bag covering head*

Seriously though. It's got the tabletop reputation akin to a sex offender. My grandma doesn't know what an rpg is but she probably heard 4e is an mmo on paper.

Sucks man.

You have unwisely challenged the thread to defend 4e's honor. Roll initiative and drink your flasks.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

We're playing 5e because this is a group of The Adventure Zone listeners who want to give D&D a try, and that's the system they play on the podcast (though they recently transitioned to Dungeon World, which I think is the better system for the podcast and may be what I try and get this group to transition to if it ends up having longevity).

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Klungar posted:

We're playing 5e because this is a group of The Adventure Zone listeners who want to give D&D a try, and that's the system they play on the podcast (though they recently transitioned to Dungeon World, which I think is the better system for the podcast and may be what I try and get this group to transition to if it ends up having longevity).

TAZ is good stuff. I wish there was a way to get people to power through the first few episodes where they're still finding their legs and going by the books.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Petr posted:

You have unwisely challenged the thread to defend 4e's honor. Roll initiative and drink your flasks.

No I didn't. 4e rules face.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fsmhunk posted:

I have literally never found a group in this city that plays anything other than Pathfinder, 5e, or Shadowrun.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I love 4e and will defend it to the death, but I do think that the biggest legitimate criticism for it amidst a sea of pure bullshit is the fact that it's very heavy and crunchy.
Well, that's not so much a criticism as much as it is a statement of fact. 4E's supposed to be heavy and crunchy, and it does most of it's heavy crunchyness well. But yeah, "I don't enjoy 4E because it's too heavy and crunchy for me" is not something I'll ever argue with someone over. The argument comes when this is used to in any way justify 5e. "I don't like tacos, they're too crunchy" is not a good explanation for why someone is eating raw chicken wrapped in newspaper.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Splicer posted:

Well, that's not so much a criticism as much as it is a statement of fact. 4E's supposed to be heavy and crunchy, and it does most of it's heavy crunchyness well. But yeah, "I don't enjoy 4E because it's too heavy and crunchy for me" is not something I'll ever argue with someone over. The argument comes when this is used to in any way justify 5e. "I don't like tacos, they're too crunchy" is not a good explanation for why someone is eating raw chicken wrapped in newspaper.

Yes but have you considered that 5 is a higher number than 4

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I have literally never found a group in this city that plays anything other than Pathfinder, 5e, or Shadowrun.

Conversely, I cannot find anyone that has even played 4e, let alone wants to play 4e. I'm pretty certain I'd love 4e over 5e.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The trick to playing good games is rather than approaching "rpg veterans," approach your friends who don't play, and ask them to try a game with you.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

slap me and kiss me posted:

The trick to playing good games is rather than approaching "rpg veterans," approach your friends who don't play, and ask them to try a game with you.

It's all been downhill ever since you could be both an elf AND a mage.

I stitched Gary Gygax's tanned skin into a dress and wear it like a muumuu while I masturbate.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Question about Feats: you can only take a Feat when you would otherwise get an Ability Score Increase, so most characters will only get a handful of them, and by taking the Feat you sacrifice the Ability Score Increase?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Klungar posted:

Question about Feats: you can only take a Feat when you would otherwise get an Ability Score Increase, so most characters will only get a handful of them, and by taking the Feat you sacrifice the Ability Score Increase?
Yes. Variant Human can also take a feat at character creation + a skill in exchange for giving up some stat mods.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Petr posted:

It's all been downhill ever since you could be both an elf AND a mage.

I stitched Gary Gygax's tanned skin into a dress and wear it like a muumuu while I masturbate.

Actually, *adjusts glasses onto nose with index finger* elves were always a race choice rather then a class choice; the idea of "elf" as a class came from Basic, a D&D branch off, which came AFTER "OD&D" or "Original D&D." The OD&D Elf was capable of being either a fighting man or a magic user, and could switch between them between adventures.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

ProfessorCirno posted:

Actually, *adjusts glasses onto nose with index finger* elves were always a race choice rather then a class choice; the idea of "elf" as a class came from Basic, a D&D branch off, which came AFTER "OD&D" or "Original D&D." The OD&D Elf was capable of being either a fighting man or a magic user, and could switch between them between adventures.

OD&D was basically Pong on paper.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Question for you all:

I'm going to play in a short 5e campaign, a single adventure basically. We had to roll for stats and my stats are pretty drat poo poo. (I know, I know. You don't even need to say it.) Anyway, I'm thinking of playing a Trickery Cleric based on buffing the party so that I don't have to roll anything myself. Lots of Bless and Pass Without Trace for the +10 stealth bonus.

Anybody have experience with that? Does it work? Is a +10 stealth bonus too much? Any other options? I want to buff the party but I can't participate myself directly. I'm serious: my only good stat is Constitution, which is nice but doesn't let you do stuff. My Str and Wis are both 10, just to give you an idea of how hopeless it is. I can not rely on attack rolls or forcing people to make saving throws. Buffing is my only option. So, does that work? Anything else I might want to look into?

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 28, 2017

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's always "fun" watching more people have to deal with Ferrinus for the first time.

I'm just catching up on the thread now, but he's the best poster in this godforsaken forum and should be the mod.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
This place was a lot better when it was him, Liesmith, and happyelf arguing with a bunch of people who had no idea what they were talking about. RIP.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Petr posted:

OD&D was basically Pong on paper.

That's not fair at all. Pong is a 2 player game and OD&D caters to up to 50 players at once as long as you maintain a minimum 1:20 referee:player ratio. That's a massive number of players.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 27, 2017

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

If you have access to 3rd level spells, just Animate Dead.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

That's not fair at all. Pong is a 2 player game and OD&D caters to up to 50 players at once as long as you maintain a minimum 1:20 referee:player ratio. That's a massive number of players.

So it's basically like a tabletop MMO.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Generic Octopus posted:

If you can't fight, be the guy that brings more fighty guys to the fight. Animate dead or summons are definitely the way to go.

Then play the character as an OTT wrestling announcer.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Animate seems pretty weak to be honest. I wish it scaled better because it definitely does not seem to.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Reene posted:

Animate seems pretty weak to be honest. I wish it scaled better because it definitely does not seem to.

You obviously weren't here in the skeleton-chat days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Generic Octopus posted:

I don't. We start at level 3. I also think there will be RP-issues with animating the dead.