Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Kind of depends on if it's a fight-heavy campaign or an RP-heavy campaign. Though if the DM made you roll for stats (and didn't let you dump a stinker) it's probably the former.

Die, re-roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sage Genesis posted:

Question for you all:

I'm going to play in a short 5e campaign, a single adventure basically. We had to roll for stats and my stats are pretty drat poo poo. (I know, I know. You don't ever need to say it.) Anyway, I'm thinking of playing a Trickery Cleric based on buffing the party so that I don't have to roll anything myself. Lots of Bless and Pass Without Trace for the +10 stealth bonus.

Anybody have experience with that? Does it work? Is a +10 stealth bonus too much? Any other options? I want to buff the party but I can't participate myself directly. I'm serious: my only good stat is Constitution, which is nice but doesn't let you do stuff. My Str and Wis are both 10, just to give you an idea of how hopeless it is. I can not rely on attack rolls or forcing people to make saving throws. Buffing is my only option. So, does that work? Anything else I might want to look into?
I'd suggest Life Cleric so you can get free heavy armor, and you get Bless and heals as spontaneous spells allowing you to take more utility in your prepared ones.

Alternatively tell your group your stats are unusable and they're dicks if they don't let you just make another character. Or just die immediately so you can reroll.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Reene posted:

Animate seems pretty weak to be honest. I wish it scaled better because it definitely does not seem to.

It scales in the sense that as you get higher level you can maintain more skeletons. You overcome enemies by volume of attacks.

e: echoing that suicide sometimes is the answer.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 28, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sage Genesis posted:

I don't. We start at level 3. I also think there will be RP-issues with animating the dead.
Play a barbarian, dump stat con and dex. Charge monsters until you die. Refuse to spend hit dice because you're "saving them for when you need them".

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Valiant Hero Makes Brave Last Stand.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Splicer posted:

Play a barbarian, dump stat con and dex. Charge monsters until you die. Refuse to spend hit dice because you're "saving them for when you need them".

I can't dump con and dex. Those are my only not-poo poo scores. We had to roll... *puts flashlight under his face* in order.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sage Genesis posted:

I can't dump con and dex. Those are my only not-poo poo scores. We had to roll... *puts flashlight under his face* in order.

Did your DM watch? Just fudge some numbers up if not. If so, pray Bahamut watches over you and your game.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
What stats did you roll, exactly?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
I can't fudge, we used orokos (an online die roller which stores your rolls).

My results are:
Str 11
Dex 14
Con 15
Int 12
Wis 9
Cha 7
(edit: that's pre-racial modifiers)

So I figure, my best plan is to be some kind of caster who never makes attacks or saving throws.

"But Sage, with 14 Dex you could be a Wood Elf and play a Ro-"

Yeah, except that the other players also rolled and they all have 16, 17, or 18 Dex pre-racial modifiers. I'm not going to play a Rogue when I'm the most clumsy motherfucker in the party. Some of the other players already decided on Rogue, Bard, and Monk anyway so it's not as if I could compete in that arena.

I'm not looking to break the game (as if I even could), I just need to know if a pure buff-caster can work. Believe me, I already considered the heroic suicide option.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Sage Genesis posted:

The gently caress? I haven't seen a DM do that since 2nd ed, and even then it was a dick move.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

We had to roll... *puts flashlight under his face* in order.

That's stupid and your DM is stupid and bad and you should murder him and wear his skin like a suit....

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Petr posted:

The gently caress? I haven't seen a DM do that since 2nd ed, and even then it was a dick move.

I think he's got some... ideas... about how cool and badass old school was. Back when men were men, uphill both ways in the snow, etc.

Edit:
And guys, look, I know it's a poo poo method. But it's just a short mini-campaign, I expect it won't even reach 10 sessions. So I'm not really bothered too much by the scores, I'm just trying to make it work.

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 28, 2017

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Sage Genesis posted:

I think he's got some... ideas... about how cool and badass old school was. Back when men were men, uphill both ways in the snow, etc.

Old school was mashing the "regenerate scores" button in Baldur's Gate until you got a 91 roll

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sage Genesis posted:

I can't fudge, we used orokos (an online die roller which stores your rolls).

My results are:
Str 11
Dex 14
Con 15
Int 12
Wis 9
Cha 7
(edit: that's pre-racial modifiers)

So I figure, my best plan is to be some kind of caster who never makes attacks or saving throws.

"But Sage, with 14 Dex you could be a Wood Elf and play a Ro-"

Yeah, except that the other players also rolled and they all have 16, 17, or 18 Dex pre-racial modifiers. I'm not going to play a Rogue when I'm the most clumsy motherfucker in the party. Some of the other players already decided on Rogue, Bard, and Monk anyway so it's not as if I could compete in that arena.

I'm not looking to break the game (as if I even could), I just need to know if a pure buff-caster can work. Believe me, I already considered the heroic suicide option.

This spread is only a step or two down in quality from the standard array. What sucks is you can't rearrange your rolls. If you could, you could have a by the book main stat which is the only thing that really matters.

If you don't want to leverage your Dex I say play a Wizard and take what you can get.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Propose a homebrew class: Health Nut, primary stat con.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Sage Genesis posted:

I just joined a group in progress, at like 10th level. I made a character with a 27 point buy, assuming that was how the other characters were built because seriously gently caress rolling stat arrays. After a couple of sessions the guy playing the most munchkin, plot-less character says that "you get a higher average with 27 point buy, it's more fair to roll". The DM laughed and made everyone total up what their stats would have been as a point buy when they started, just for funsies. Not a single one less than a high to mid 30's.

That was barely on topic but the rolling thing reminded me about it. Rolling stats is dumb.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Petr posted:

It's almost like designing a game that's more about "feeling" like D&D than anything else can end up teaching people some bad habits!

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

SettingSun posted:

This spread is only a step or two down in quality from the standard array. What sucks is you can't rearrange your rolls. If you could, you could have a by the book main stat which is the only thing that really matters.

More like four steps. The two highest scores are the same as the array, but the other four are all literally a point lower. But yes the point is that I can't rearrange and the party already has other (and better) Dex-focused characters.

I might look at Wizard if nobody else is doing that, but I like the idea of casting Bless and then just chilling in the background while the party does the heavy lifting.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's almost like designing a game that's more about "feeling" like D&D than anything else can end up teaching people some bad habits!

I have no idea what point you're trying to make, but I'm pretty sure it's dumb.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Sage Genesis posted:

Edit:
And guys, look, I know it's a poo poo method. But it's just a short mini-campaign, I expect it won't even reach 10 sessions. So I'm not really bothered too much by the scores, I'm just trying to make it work.

If you're vigilant with your spell selection you can break the game just by being a pure caster

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Sage Genesis posted:

More like four steps. The two highest scores are the same as the array, but the other four are all literally a point lower. But yes the point is that I can't rearrange and the party already has other (and better) Dex-focused characters.

I might look at Wizard if nobody else is doing that, but I like the idea of casting Bless and then just chilling in the background while the party does the heavy lifting.

Honestly, it's not that bad playing the party stooge if your DM lets you get away with it, and encourages good roleplay. This guy doesn't sound like the type, though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

An Int 14 Wizard is nothing to sneeze at. Play a gnome Wizard who as a hobby likes to drink dwarves under the table (literally).

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sage Genesis posted:

Edit:
:murder: your character or the dm whatever you want

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Divination wizzzerd

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Sage Genesis posted:

Short low-level campaign? Crappy stats, but decent HP?

You want to play a moon druid.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Hello Sailor posted:

Short low-level campaign? Crappy stats, but decent HP?

You want to play a moon druid.

The DM nerfed moon druids because he thinks they're too good.

At this point you might think I was just making this all up just to stir things up, but I swear that this is true.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Petr posted:

I have no idea what point you're trying to make, but I'm pretty sure it's dumb.

D&D Next, the """playtest""" of 5e, had several surveys that, instead of addressing how the game functioned, asked players such probing questions as "Which of these spells feel most like D&D?"

When people playtesting on this forum encountered a fairly egregious problem with how a swarm of rats posed an obscene threat to a party and interrupted the flow of play due to how advantage effectively had the rats rolling ~30 d20s between them, WotC's response was to amend the playtesting agreement to disallow online playtesting.

When Fighters were given a "damage on a miss" effect, there was a significant outcry from various trpg communities, thus it was removed. This effect later appeared on the Evocation wizard archetype.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm playing a bard and took sleep. We basically facerolled a dungeon at level 2 until the DM cracked the shits and put his last three encounters in the boss room, where they proceeded to have a birthday party. Anyway sleep still sort of did its job despite this encounter being way too loving hard, then I got bane and vicious mockery on the main boss who proceeded to crit our healer (which would have been instant death) but it turned out to be a miss and the DM looked absolutely crestfallen that we'd clowned his entire dungeon.

e: another nice moment when 4 hobgoblins ran into the room where we were about to long rest and three of them immediately fell unconscious. The last guy through the door basically went "I'm out" and ran into another hallway where he triggered a spike pit and got skewered, rip.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 28, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would love to play a balls to the wall "Roll your stats in order, make character, go" dungeon dive sometime. Just make everyone roll up a whole mess of characters and when one dies, the other walks in the door.

Otherwise rolling for stats is dumb garbage.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
In one of my games everyone took the standard array except one guy who rolled 4d6 pick your stats and he ended up being way overpowered. Go figure.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Generic Octopus posted:

D&D Next, the """playtest""" of 5e, had several surveys that, instead of addressing how the game functioned, asked players such probing questions as "Which of these spells feel most like D&D?"

When people playtesting on this forum encountered a fairly egregious problem with how a swarm of rats posed an obscene threat to a party and interrupted the flow of play due to how advantage effectively had the rats rolling ~30 d20s between them, WotC's response was to amend the playtesting agreement to disallow online playtesting.

When Fighters were given a "damage on a miss" effect, there was a significant outcry from various trpg communities, thus it was removed. This effect later appeared on the Evocation wizard archetype.

Oh, of course, obviously this is why Sage's DM is a dick.

Sage, I'd find a different group at this point. This guy sounds awful.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I would love to play a balls to the wall "Roll your stats in order, make character, go" dungeon dive sometime. Just make everyone roll up a whole mess of characters and when one dies, the other walks in the door.

Otherwise rolling for stats is dumb garbage.

That totally works, too!

Just not for any of the WotC editions. Or most of the TSR editions.

It's honestly just OD&D, Basic, and maybe AD&D.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Sage Genesis posted:

The DM nerfed moon druids because he thinks they're too good.

At this point you might think I was just making this all up just to stir things up, but I swear that this is true.

You don't want to play even one session with this DM, let alone ten. Walk away.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah, usually you have to go to a special meetup to find that kind of sadism.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Generic Octopus posted:

It scales in the sense that as you get higher level you can maintain more skeletons. You overcome enemies by volume of attacks.

e: echoing that suicide sometimes is the answer.

Once you reach the levels where you can cast Animate Object instead there are very few reasons not to just do that instead. You get (potentially) more creatures that can fly just because, hit things more easily and sometimes harder, are harder to hit if they're medium or smaller, while also neatly sidestepping the potential intraparty conflict of "oh my god what are you doing to those corpses."

The best you can say for Animate Dead is that they'll stick around longer, therefore potentially costing you fewer slots, and can perform other simple tasks if that's something you need a body for.

Reene fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 28, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sage Genesis posted:

Which would work if he was playing a game designed for oldschool play, which 5E is not.

Anyway, advice: Play a UA Beastmaster Ranger. Pump your Dex. Take an Ape as your pet. You can now have the Ape assist you on most tasks, giving you advantage on a lot of rolls which should help with your lovely stats, and where it can't assist just have the Ape flat out do it since it's got better Strength and Wisdom than you do. Your spell save will be crap but just load up on non-save utility spells like Goodberry and Hunter's Mark. This all hinges on your GM a) not minding you using the UA ranger and b) not trying to make you make handle animal checks for everything your Ape does (which would be bullshit but...)

e: Also, depending on your interpretations of the rules, taking favoured enemy: Humanoids would allow your Ape to speak Common.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 28, 2017

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Reene posted:

Once you reach the levels where you can cast Animate Object instead there are very few reasons not to just do that instead. You get (potentially) more creatures that can fly just because, hit things more easily and sometimes harder, are harder to hit if they're medium or smaller, while also neatly sidestepping the potential intraparty conflict of "oh my god what are you doing to those corpses."

The best you can say for Animate Dead is that they'll stick around longer, therefore potentially costing you fewer slots, and can perform other simple tasks if that's something you need a body for.

Animate Object lasts 1 minute and is concentration. Animate Dead is indefinite and not concentration. Other posters already did the maths, but you can have a large group of skeletons animated indefinitely.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Petr posted:

Oh, of course, obviously this is why Sage's DM is a dick.

Do you seriously not believe that the mechanics and presentation of a game don't affect how people play that game, or is your ability to extrapolate atrophied and withered beyond use?

The DM is running with the rules as presented in the books - rolling stats is presented as the default, despite being a lovely idea that the game isn't designed well enough to support, since every class needs 1+ high score to be baseline competent at their Thing.

The supposition that having shittier ability scores will push you to roleplay better is some serious crossed wires, stemming from the misinterpretation of "flawed characters are more narratively interesting": having flaws makes for a more interesting character, but more flaws does not map to a further increase in how interesting the character is. Flaws do not also preclude a character from being competent at what they do - a thief who cannot sneak is not a tensely dramatic character, they are a two-dimensional comedic farce.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Explaining to a human that something might be more fun for you as a player while being within the rules and then being told no is dumb as poo poo and the DM is a loving clown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JBP posted:

Explaining to a human that something might be more fun for you as a player while being within the rules and then being told no is dumb as poo poo and the DM is a loving clown.

Sadly, that argument just bounced off of Mearls and now we have an entire edition of this misery. Isn't it fun!