Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dem mags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Breakfast Feud posted:

The moped thread is archived :(

Just bought this though

You can come join us in the scooter thread. We like all small bikes. Here, let me take you there *spends 23 minutes trying every key of dozens on an old-timey jailer's keyring, finally opening the door with a creak, it is full of spiderwebs, a moth flies out* But at least it's not archived!

(sweet 'ped)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Breakfast Feud posted:

The moped thread is archived :(

Just bought this though

:swoon:

Glhf with parts though.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I have enough parts to build a second moped in crates from the PO, and the Puch has a huge cult following in Europe as a 50cc racer! Sure, it'll never be a restoration project but if I want go fast parts I have options.

The end goal is to get my bike license for it and take it around 100km/h. Definitely would want front hydraulic discs, beefier shocks, a frame brace and probably a top tank and fairing before that.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

I had fun doing the sumo thing for a year and a half, but it was time to move on from the DRZ SM. Picked up a new 2014 Honda Interceptor last weekend. Too bad they didn't sell better over here, but got a great deal because of it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They sold poo poo because, despite being an excellent bike, they're the same excellent bike as the previous version and therefore not 'improved' enough to bump sales. Which benefits people like you who get an excellent bike for an even more excellent price.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
The new wheels are nice af but they cover up the rear with a meh exhaust because people were scared to put their saddlebags next to the undertail

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

chicagobutters posted:

I had fun doing the sumo thing for a year and a half, but it was time to move on from the DRZ SM. Picked up a new 2014 Honda Interceptor last weekend. Too bad they didn't sell better over here, but got a great deal because of it.

Hello red VFR buddy. I recommend getting a slip on, even without a DB silencer it's relatively quiet (underbodycatalytic converter) and the original is a heavy eyesore!

Oh and change up the tyres when you get a chance. Those OEM dunlops just don't compare to angel gts, and I imagine michelin PR4s are a similar good upgrade.

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 25, 2017

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Modern bikes man, if you're going to go to all the trouble and expense for an SSSA why would you hide it with a big, ugly exhaust?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The old vfr exhaust was super good looking, too. Such a shame.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Agreed. They should have dumped the exhaust under the bike, a la Buell, or kept the twin tail setup.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Or went the MV way with short sexy pipe stack.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All of those require honda to not be honda and are therefore impossible. You have to increase mediocrity with each generation otherwise the whole edifice falls apart.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

All of those require honda to not be honda and are therefore impossible. You have to increase mediocrity with each generation otherwise the whole edifice falls apart.

*re-releases the Africa Twin with automatic transmission*

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's already a thing.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
So much of Honda's street lineup is a mish-mash of ugly, uninspired, or both. I wonder what % of Honda's bike revenues come from Goldwings and other old guy bikes. It seems like they keep designing stuff that only older folks might want, which doesn't exactly do much to bring in new customers. Reliability alone won't drive sales.

They did a great job with the new Africa Twin, but I didn't even know the VFR1200X was a thing, and now that I do, I have to wonder who thought putting the VFR1200 motor into an NC700X and trying to sell it for $16,000 was a good idea. The VFR1200 itself didn't do very well.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Back on the Yamalounger for another season! Did a nice Laconia run last weekend, might do the Kancamagus region on Sunday.

The_Raven fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 27, 2017

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I don't pay much attention to big rear end baggers, but that is a very cool bike and I'd like to ride one like it some day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

So much of Honda's street lineup is a mish-mash of ugly, uninspired, or both. I wonder what % of Honda's bike revenues come from Goldwings and other old guy bikes. It seems like they keep designing stuff that only older folks might want, which doesn't exactly do much to bring in new customers. Reliability alone won't drive sales.

They did a great job with the new Africa Twin, but I didn't even know the VFR1200X was a thing, and now that I do, I have to wonder who thought putting the VFR1200 motor into an NC700X and trying to sell it for $16,000 was a good idea. The VFR1200 itself didn't do very well.

Most of their revenues come from small bikes in developing countries, midsize appliances like the 500 and 700 bikes and old people. In that order.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
They seem to be selling a shitload of Groms here in the US, too. Maybe they can put the 1200 V4 into those.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'd settle for a 250 Grom.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The_Raven posted:

Back on the Yamalounger for another season! Did a nice Laconia run last weekend, might do the Kancamagus region on Sunday.

Going to see the grandkids?

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Most of their revenues come from small bikes in developing countries, midsize appliances like the 500 and 700 bikes and old people. In that order.

And to be quite fair those midsize appliances are drat good, if boring bikes. Overbuilt chassis, unstressed engines. If they put decent brakes and a better gearbox on they'd be excellent.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Chichevache posted:

Going to see the grandkids?

Get off my fuckin' lawn, punk! :bahgawd:

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I don't pay much attention to big rear end baggers, but that is a very cool bike and I'd like to ride one like it some day.

Thanks! It's good at what it's good at - a butter smooth V4 racking up miles, the comfiest seats in Christendom, two-up touring without piling a ton of luggage on the bike like Oakies going west. Is it versatile? Meh. But I have my KZ1100 to get my rocks off.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I keep telling my wife that we'll have one one day. Her counterargument is, "If we want that, we can just get a convertible roadster of some kind," and I can't really argue.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I keep telling my wife that we'll have one one day. Her counterargument is, "If we want that, we can just get a convertible roadster of some kind," and I can't really argue.

Compromise and get a trike

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

PathAsc posted:

Compromise and get a trike

I would rather have nothing at all.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I would rather have nothing at all.

:sad:

Think I'm rewiring again this week. It's going to be rainy as poo poo anyway, may as well do some good work. Thinking about putting better levers on, what do you all prefer for highly adjustable ones? I've not used anything but stock or really basic aftermarket ones that aren't much of an improvement.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Sample size is small, but I really liked the set of CRG shorties I had on my FZ1. Well made, excellent fit, the anodization never faded, smooth action.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Jazzzzz posted:

Sample size is small, but I really liked the set of CRG shorties I had on my FZ1. Well made, excellent fit, the anodization never faded, smooth action.

Thanks, I was wanting to switch to shorties so that helps.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I have a CRG shorty clutch that I really like. Never used a shorty brake lever and probably won't so I can't comment on that end.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

The_Raven posted:

Back on the Yamalounger for another season!

Do you have CB radio in that? Or rather, is those huge antennas just fm radio?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

So I just bought this old ratty thing for track abuse.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

pokie posted:

Some pics with the new seat. I will change the red tank/fairings to white eventually. The first one is from a friend's nicer camera... Not sure if it came out better.

Hah! Love the Brutale with the top case. Awesome.

And love Pagemill.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No. 6 posted:

So I just bought this old ratty thing for track abuse.

Those fairings are....yeah nah

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It may not be the prettiest but she is well sorted mechanically. Suspension needs some adjustment if not a total replacement, still deciding if I care about keeping it street legal.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Lmao there's a post in the comment section with pics of the cruiser, whose name apparently is "King Steerer."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Lmao there's a post in the comment section with pics of the cruiser, whose name apparently is "King Steerer."

Yeah, the street bike I got is apparently called "Exploiture." Fortunately the name is only on a sheet of stickers so I did not attach them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm a child and giant wind turbines are really neat to look at