Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

julian assflange posted:

Martin McGuinness is dead

Wow. That explains GA's Twitter feed earlier tonight.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hopefully in some solicitors office somewhere and envelope with shitloads if revelations is being opened and sent to some journalists......hahahahaha

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

julian assflange posted:

Hopefully in some solicitors office somewhere and envelope with shitloads if revelations is being opened and sent to some journalists......hahahahaha

Gerry making panicked phonecalls as we speak

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Entropy238 posted:

Where does the €3000 a year figure come from? Just curious.

possibly a bus, it's apparently not possible to print money any more and the EU definitely couldn't handle £7.5bn annually (roughly vodafone's annual tax-dodge)

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Well Adams has made it clear no extension for NI negotiations is on the cards

quote:

There cannot be continuous negotiation and re-negotiation of agreements already made. So Sinn Féin is opposed to any extension of Monday’s deadline.”

If an agreement is not reached to restore the power-sharing Executive by Monday then Secretary of State James Brokenshire will be obliged by law to call another Assembly election.

“There is only a very short time to form the Executive for the northern Assembly. So far there is no agreement to do this. Sinn Féin has made it clear that there can be no return to the status quo.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/03/23/on-the-eve-of-martin-mcguinnesss-funeral-gerry-adams-issues-an-ultimatum-on-the-talks/

Its also been confirmed Foster will attend the funeral of McGuinness which is a decent gesture (remember when it used to be controversial for a DUP leader to attend a Mass).

Not looking forward to a post Adams graveside oration election I have to say

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How bad would it be if NI went back to direct rule?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

julian assflange posted:

How bad would it be if NI went back to direct rule?

Lots of shouting and political deadlock and the chances of our unique softeners to shield us from full Tory welfare reform holding up are unlikely - things like domestic water charges (which Labour wanted to introduce under the last period of direct rule), rates increases and maybe some fiddling with free prescriptions.

It will annoy a fair few folks but putting whitehall in charge of crafting budgets will probably result in some pretty deep cuts in areas where has been some domestic cross party consensus to ring fence spending budget pressures be damned.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/theresa-may-i-want-ireland-and-the-uk-to-have-a-stronger-relationship-after-brexit-1.3029328

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This loving country! http://www.thejournal.ie/sisters-of-charity-maternity-hospital-3345155-Apr2017/

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Is there anything to be said for torching a few convents?

But really, if anyone is looking to get behind some marches or TD harassment about this let me know

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It makes me so mad. I love this country but it makes me so so angry at times

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
for whatever it's worth

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/block-sisters-of-chairty-as-sole-owners-of-national-maternity-hospital

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't help but hope the current public anger at the church will help this law get chopped somehow: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garda%C3%AD-silent-on-complaint-of-blasphemy-against-stephen-fry-1.3074334?mode=amp

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

They did promise to hold the much delayed referendum to remove the references to blasphemy from the constitution at some time during the life of this government - but they've been talking about that since FG and Lab go in and its not much further along.

They could push it up to counter the anger bubbling over the maternity hospital but referendums are expensive and I don't think they are that deeply in the poo poo yet, or that it would necessarily help em

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I want Stephen Fry imprisoned for what he done.
Leaving QI for The Great Indoors.
No, give him the chair!

Jokimg aside, has it ever been revealed who complained to trigger the investigation?
Was it really ONE viewer who complained.
If it is, that one REAL butthurt person.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

It was one guy who complained, and then complained again 18 months later after nobody seemed interested in investigating it. Said he wasn't offended himself but just felt he should report the crime. My guess is it's someone from Atheist Ireland who wants to draw attention to the silly law.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

happyhippy posted:

I want Stephen Fry imprisoned for what he done.
Leaving QI for The Great Indoors.
No, give him the chair!

Jokimg aside, has it ever been revealed who complained to trigger the investigation?
Was it really ONE viewer who complained.
If it is, that one REAL butthurt person.

Sounds like it from the report, and the guards have a duty to investigate the complaint

Way the blasphemy law was rewritten in 2009 though makes it practically impossible to prosecute him as it provides protection for political or academic speech so its not going anywhere

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

floofyscorp posted:

It was one guy who complained, and then complained again 18 months later after nobody seemed interested in investigating it. Said he wasn't offended himself but just felt he should report the crime. My guess is it's someone from Atheist Ireland who wants to draw attention to the silly law.

Yeah my bet is probably on someone wanting to remind everyone blasphemy is still on the books

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think if the government calls a press conference to announce a referendum on blasphemy before abortion people would be up in arms tbh

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kustomkarkommando posted:

I think if the government calls a press conference to announce a referendum on blasphemy before abortion people would be up in arms tbh

Can they do both in the same referendum?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is Blasphemy a constitutional issue? Can't they just... get rid of it?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
whats the penalty for blasphemy

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

julian assflange posted:

Can they do both in the same referendum?

Woah now, one at a time! Don't want to go crazy with the pace of reform! Still have referendums on the presidential franchise, lowering the voting age, establishing a universal patent court and lowering divorce requirements and changing the 8th to sort out

The last times they bundled referendums together the government got defeated on one topic each time (abolishing the senate and lowering the presidential age requirement) so they are probably scared shitless about packaging anymore for one day

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 7, 2017

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

Is Blasphemy a constitutional issue? Can't they just... get rid of it?

The constitution says blasphemy is an offence but fails to define blasphemy, the supreme court said in the late 90s that the common law definition was not compatible with the constitution. Then the government rewrote defamation and libel laws and put a definition in place to met the constitutional requirement, deciding that a referendum would be too much bother at that stage for a law that hadn't been enforced for 150 years

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

€25000 fine

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

not even burning at the stake? pretty weak

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kurtofan posted:

not even burning at the stake? pretty weak

We're a progressive nation!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

New theoretical date for Kenny announcing his resignation is sometime after the EPP meeting in Wicklow over the 11th-12th. Or possibly when the ice caps melt or everyone has simply forgotten he exists. Whichever comes first.

Not that it matters, what with Leo pretty much openly campaigning and Coveney getting himself lined up as the anti-Leo candidate with a couple of more openly principled conservative statements on abortion

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kurtofan posted:

Damning your immortal soul to the fires of hell.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
seems harsh

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kurtofan posted:

Having your wife's gynaecological rights decided by a nun

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

kustomkarkommando posted:

New theoretical date for Kenny announcing his resignation is sometime after the EPP meeting in Wicklow over the 11th-12th. Or possibly when the ice caps melt or everyone has simply forgotten he exists. Whichever comes first.

Not that it matters, what with Leo pretty much openly campaigning and Coveney getting himself lined up as the anti-Leo candidate with a couple of more openly principled conservative statements on abortion

Enda's continual "ah, I'll be gone in a few weeks" messages are great. There's always something new just over the horizon that he has to stay on for. As both Leo and Coveney are fairly despicable, I can't help but find this hilarious as it no doubt is driving them both up the wall.

I hope Coveney gets it, though. Hes at least open in his conservatism. And somewhat to the left of Leo economically. I think Leo's hard right Thatcherite views, packaged in a surface level millennial friendly "I'm gay and a minority, I'm cool and hip!" package is far more dangerous due to its deceptiveness.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

Mrs Browns Boys front row tickets.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

happyhippy posted:

Mrs Browns Boys front row tickets.

It astonishes me how successful that is in the U.K.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

julian assflange posted:

It astonishes me how successful that is in the U.K.

Voting for Brexit, making Mrs Browns Boys a success... its all pretty much on the same level There's really just no accounting for good taste or common sense these days in the UK.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
loving hell. Average rent now over €1100 and over €1700 in Dublin
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-rents-hit-1-784-a-month-as-costs-surge-over-12-months-1.3075896?mode=amp

€400k for a two bed apartment in Clonskeigh:

http://m.independent.ie/business/pe...t-35694452.html

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The sindo's front page today might cause a bit of a ruckus in next few days

Sindo posted:

An election worker for a serving politician had his mobile phone tapped by gardai and the bugging stopped only when an officer raised a concern it was being done for "political purposes".

The wire-tapping occurred on the phone of the political party activist who was working for a constituency rival of a powerful Government minister.

The detective who challenged the activity feared gardai were acting for the benefit of the influential minister with or without his knowledge. He was transferred out of the force's intelligence department within two days of flagging his fears that the force was being used for "political purposes".

The revelation comes following a lengthy Sunday Independent investigation into the operation of the Garda's Crime and Security Section, effectively the State's secret service. The events occurred under a previous government and predate Noirin O'Sullivan's appointment as Garda Commissioner.

Court documents seen by the Sunday Independent also reveal that within two weeks of the officer raising his concerns about the bugging, he was transferred out of the force's intelligence section.

The individual whose phone calls were intercepted was actively involved in a well-known political party and was a close ally of one of the minister's constituency rivals.

The Garda detective who challenged his superiors about the legality of the wire-tap sought reassurance the activity was not related to any "political purposes".

Significantly, senior officers cancelled the tap just two days after the detective raised these concerns.

Months previously, the highly respected detective had raised concern about the poor processes and safeguards in place in the section, which is based out of Garda headquarters.

But after highlighting concerns about the prospect of a senior politician influencing a phone tap, the detective was transferred out of the highly sensitive unit within two days.

His fear was gardai may have been trying to appease a minister who feared the constituency rival.

The serious claims, made by the now-retired detective, are contained in court documents seen by the Sunday Independent. In February, he settled his case against the Garda Commissioner and the Justice Minister. The case was one of a number that were settled on the steps of the High Court within hours of each other.

The court documents chronicle the officer's treatment at the hands of his superiors after he voiced major concerns about the use of unorthodox methods to acquire phone tap approvals.
Among the claims made in the court documents are:

- The officer was isolated and "bullied" after uncovering the suspected abuse by gardai of phone intercept laws.

- There were "serious irregularities" relating to the way applications for intercept warrants were being processed.

- These ranged from imprecise applications for warrants and warrants based on "scant" and incorrect information leading to the interception of phones belonging to innocent third parties.

- The officer claims that complaints raised by him, many in writing, led to him being "isolated, bullied and harassed" before he was transferred to another division.

Over the course of almost a decade, it is alleged a significant number of innocent people had their phone calls intercepted due to the shoddy practice.

Im assuming FF minister/SF activist. Might put the wind up FF to push harder on Fitzgerald to give Noirín O’Sullivan the boot to cover their arses

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Jesus, they really are riddled through and through with corruption.

The entire Garda upper echelon needs to be replaced with foreign police officers, to get rid of the existing culture entirely. Theres no way anyone promoted from within will be able to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Kenny has finally bit the bullet and announced his resignation as party leader effective from midnight tonight.

Going to stay on in a caretaker role until June 2nd.

• Locked thread