Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
People simply don't know. You shouldn't feed chocolate to dogs either but people do. There simply is no connection between allowing a child to play Minecraft and knowing that parrots can't have chocolate. Petstores don't tell buyers that, how is someone supposed to know in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Gonna build a bunch of safefalls with beds, aw yeah.

The parrots are pretty cute, but last I played will immediately fall off your shoulder if you slightly move. What's the point if I can't be a cartoon pirate at all times?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I said parents who do know would teach their child such. It's not a faith in the goodness of humanity.

Parents who don't know would probably encourage the child to feed it chocolate, are probably mistreating the parrot already with a poor diet and lack of proper interaction. A game about mining diamonds and making blocky dongs isn't going to change this for the better or worse.

The game has you punch cows and pigs so food pops out. Are we going to have issues with the game portraying a bad message to kids to torture mammals?

Sekkira fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 15, 2017

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
What about parrots at the zoo?

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Sekkira posted:

I said parents who do know would teach their child such. It's not a faith in the goodness of humanity.

Rabbits and carrots: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/pets-health/9353529/Carrots-are-bad-for-rabbits-RSPCA-says.html
Mice and cheese: http://animals.mom.me/can-pet-mice-eat-cheese-1370.html
And to a lesser extent, milk and cats: http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/whats-the-deal-with-cats-and-milk
This stuff can last in public consciousness for generations. Not everyone is going to have their first encounter with a parrot under the watchful guidance of their responsible parents.

Sekkira posted:

The game has you punch cows and pigs so food pops out. Are we going to have issues with the game portraying a bad message to kids to torture mammals?
Most people learn hurting other people and animals is bad when they're like... 3.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Tobaccrow posted:

Most people learn hurting other people and animals is bad when they're like... 3.

And kids with parents that are responsible parrot owners learn not to feed it choc chip cookies at the same age.

Kids without responsible parrot owner parents probably already are feeding the kid choc chip cookies if it even takes it from their hand. Hell, the parrot's probably already dead because of this.

Minecraft isn't going to teach kids to feed their parrot chocolate if their parents have said otherwise. And it's certainly not going to teach them not to feed their parrot chocolate by adding sunflower seeds into the game and have that attract parrots instead.

Would you like a tooltip on everything you can feed animals that pops up and gives a friendly voice tutorial on how to take care of your pet based on the animal you're feeding?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
You are making a lot of assumptions about parents to justify Mojang putting potentially fatal misinformation about an animal many people own as pets in their game for children.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

What assumptions? That non responsible parrot owners are already feeding their parrot a lovely diet? That those parrots are hosed? That minecraft isn't going to change this by changing some game mechanics?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Little Johnny: "hey thanks for having me over. oh i have an idea we should give your parrot a chocolate chip cookie!!"
Little Timmy: "i don't know, i don't think my parents would be happy"
Little Johnny: "no it's ok parrots love cookies, here, check it out"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

"Some hypothetical parents that didn't tell their kid not to feed their parrot a chocolate chip cookies yet are probably killing their bird anyway..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFFo7xz69t0

I'm glad you the clear vision to condemn people's pets to death based on the assumption that one oversight means the pet is 100% dead anyway. Literally no one has ever hosed up with a pet that wasn't an abusive rear end in a top hat who absolutely killed it eventually. Got it.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

HAT FETISH posted:

Little Johnny: "hey thanks for having me over. oh i have an idea we should give your some of my chocolate!!"
Little Timmy: "i don't know, i don't think my parents would be happy"
Little Johnny: "no it's ok he really wants some, here, check it out"

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

lmao you aren't making the point you think you're making

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

ToastyPotato posted:

"Some hypothetical parents that didn't tell their kid not to feed their parrot a chocolate chip cookies yet are probably killing their bird anyway..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFFo7xz69t0

I'm glad you the clear vision to condemn people's pets to death based on the assumption that one oversight means the pet is 100% dead anyway. Literally no one has ever hosed up with a pet that wasn't an abusive rear end in a top hat who absolutely killed it eventually. Got it.

I'm not condemning pets to death. I'm being realistic that calling for the change of some in game mechanics and whether that change is put in or not will have no effect on the outcome of a family who owns a parrot and is irresponsible with it. I'm talking about a dumb block game where you build nonsense and you're being alarmist over its 'potentially fatal misinformation'.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

It's 2017 and grown rear end adults still feed bread to ducks despite signs up in parks saying don't ever fuckin do that and I have had multiple people no-poo poo say to me "what, so every time that happens in a movie, it's wrong?? Uh huh :smug:"

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

HAT FETISH posted:

lmao you aren't making the point you think you're making

What's stopping little Timmy in this hypothetical scenario saying "No, Johnny. My parents said cookies are bad for parrots" or "No, Johnny, my parents said chocolate is bad for dogs"? Because you know, a responsible pet owner is going to teach their kid feeding a pet x will just make them mad.

Or are you arguing that kids are gonna throw that information out when they decide replicating actions in a video game is a great idea?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

HAT FETISH posted:

It's 2017 and grown rear end adults still feed bread to ducks despite signs up in parks saying don't ever fuckin do that and I have had multiple people no-poo poo say to me "what, so every time that happens in a movie, it's wrong?? Uh huh :smug:"

Well poo poo. You're right. I guess we should add pellets into the game, being the only thing that tames parrots. It's going to change the face of society. Kids will learn how to treat parrots with care and be responsible parrot owners because of loving Minecraft.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Haha whoa

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Yeah, bold text is scary, isn't it?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sekkira posted:

I'm not condemning pets to death. I'm being realistic that calling for the change of some in game mechanics and whether that change is put in or not will have no effect on the outcome of a family who owns a parrot and is irresponsible with it. I'm talking about a dumb block game where you build nonsense and you're being alarmist over its 'potentially fatal misinformation'.

There's nothing realistic about assuming that a parrot is as good as dead in a household where someone might accidentally feed it a cookie because they thought it was ok. That's being incredibly naive about how pet ownership, parenting, and human nature in general. Hat Fetish posted the prime example of how even in a reasonably responsible household, the mistake could be made. Right now, there really isn't any massive misinformation about feeding cookies to parrots. MC starting that poo poo is dumb. People believe wrong poo poo about things all the time because of the media they consume, so the idea that its ok to start spreading some new dumb poo poo because those birds are as good as dead in your eyes is asinine.

Sekkira posted:

What's stopping little Timmy in this hypothetical scenario saying "No, Johnny. My parents said cookies are bad for parrots" or "No, Johnny, my parents said chocolate is bad for dogs"? Because you know, a responsible pet owner is going to teach their kid feeding a pet x will just make them mad.

Or are you arguing that kids are gonna throw that information out when they decide replicating actions in a video game is a great idea?

The fact that you can't foresee how even that can fail proves to me you have little experience taking care of children.
I'll help.

Timmy doesn't ask Johnny and instead feeds his cookie to the parrot while Johnny is doing something else.

Mind blown.

Pro Tip: Kids do dumb poo poo when no one is looking and it is impossible to control fully. poo poo happens. Mistakes are made. Allowing some game to spread some all new dumb poo poo about pets that could get them hurt or killed is pretty stupid. Defending that misinformation is worse. The problem can be avoided completely by just changing one piece of code.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's a minor as gently caress change to swap the cookie to seeds or something and the benefits (not having children accidentally kill their pets b/c young super impressionable kids play the game) massively outweigh the drawbacks (some reddit bullshit about The Developer's Vision, people who think kids who accidentally kill their pets deserve it for not knowing better)

Nobody's saying Minecraft is bad for doing what it did, they're just saying there's non-obvious side effects to the choice and there's some benefit to changing it. Reading into it any further is a mistake.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Uh maybe don't buy your kid a parrot you white trash paycheck-to-paycheck-terrible-bad-decision-maker-parent (Note: directed at no one here unless you feel like this is you in which case STOP!) problem solved, now games can be games again.

Good to see MC news and updates, though. I always come back to it around winter-time for some reason and enjoy the new content.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jesus christ, you guys.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
'Arguments' like the above just reinforce my belief that we're living in a simulation, and only a few people are actually human and the rest are just preprogrammed AI that think they're human and look human but always behave in a certain fashion and are incapable of changing. It's just silly sometimes.

This is not a quote from somewhere.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wow. That one guy is really invested in the idea of feeding chocolate to fake birds in a kids game.

That's really weird.

Some birds will be fine because the kids parents are knowledgeable and responsible. Some birds will be hosed by negligence either way. But some hypothetical birds are cared for by relatively responsible but otherwise ignorant people who, absent minecraft, would never have thought to feed chocolate to birds. Those hypothetical birds would ordinarily have been just fine, even though their owners are unaware chocolate is bad for birds, and so they might be adversely affected by popular this game maker's decision.

Feel free to shrug and say you don't care about those birds or whatever, but getting all defensive about that pretty obvious implication is kinda dumb.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ok... let's make this simple.

Who here thought Rabbits favorite food was carrots as a kid? "raises hand"

Now, imagine if carrots were lethal to rabbits, maybe you can understand why it might be a bad idea for children to get misinformation from the game like that, they haven't been alive that long, they don't know firsthand what effect something like chocolate would have on a species.

Just switch it from cookies to bread or seeds, problem solved.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 15, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edit: ^^^^ Exactly.

flatluigi posted:

Nobody's saying Minecraft is bad for doing what it did, they're just saying there's non-obvious side effects to the choice and there's some benefit to changing it. Reading into it any further is a mistake.

Hey sekkira, read this and please shut the gently caress up.

Goddamn this is some of the gooniest poo poo :psyduck: Yet again, the thread title has deserved its longevity. Never change.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/864011528403644418

Now get back to arguing about something else

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Frobbe posted:

This is actually one of the splash titles in the current version, too. They knew it was a bad idea, but still incorporated it into the game, which is a total Mojang move.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao at the insane internet retards who are convinced that any feedback from experts that components of a media product could lead to harm is censorship and must be stopped

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I have an African Grey parrot, a cat, and three dogs. People come over and want to feed them food they shouldn't have for whatever reasons. This doesn't need to be promoted through media. It's simple to make the change, no ones asking Mojang to rewrite the entire game, geezus.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Lorini posted:

I have an African Grey parrot, a cat, and three dogs. People come over and want to feed them food they shouldn't have for whatever reasons. This doesn't need to be promoted through media. It's simple to make the change, no ones asking Mojang to rewrite the entire game, geezus.

I can't tell if you're trolling or are just an enormous sperglord

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Lorini posted:

A reasonable comment.

RC Cola posted:

I can't tell if you're trolling or are just an enormous sperglord

Hmm. This guy is definitely trolling, though.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Frobbe posted:

GOD drat YOU MOJANG I already made a million cookies, the investors in my Minecraft parrot business are pulling out and I'm ruined!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
This thread was better off dead.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Oh cool, there are 50 new posts in the Minecraft thread, maybe they finally added some sort of vertical elevator to vanilla and.....

:yikes:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What I got out of the update is that they did a ton of stuff that would have gotten rid of people feeling the need to create quality-of-life vanilla modpacks, but they'll still have to do it just to install the "Good Parrot, No Cookie" mod.

I see the point with the cookie thing. You don't expect the average kid to find the nearest metal bucket and run up to some cow and magically get some milk. Minecraft + kid + bucket + cow is a hard act to assemble. However, Minecraft + kid + cookie + bird is a lot more common.

I bring up the cow thing because my nephew once told my sister-in-law, "Wow! Minecraft is just like real life! You run up to a cow with a bucket and you get milk!"

I also had the distinction as a child of trying to shut up the neighbor's dog by feeding it hushpuppies.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I honestly didn't give a poo poo about feeding parrots cookies. Someone made a decent and reasonable argument for changing it, Mojang did, and I think that's a decent and reasonable change.

I must be a sperglord because I am not deeply invested in a lovely blocks game please help.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Oh poo poo, Mojang changed some code in the game. How dare they take away my right to murder parrots with chocolate!

Oh wait, that's not at all what my posts were saying or even implying. I don't understand why you all assumed I was advocating for mistreatment of birds by calling out alarmist statements about how this was potentially fatal misinformation as if it was going to make bold strides into the world to save the mistreatment of birds. But that's probably why I have the text below my avatar "I don't get it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Sekkira posted:

Oh poo poo, Mojang changed some code in the game. How dare they take away my right to murder parrots with chocolate!

Oh wait, that's not at all what my posts were saying or even implying. I don't understand why you all assumed I was advocating for mistreatment of birds by calling out alarmist statements about how this was potentially fatal misinformation as if it was going to make bold strides into the world to save the mistreatment of birds. But that's probably why I have the text below my avatar "I don't get it".

Dude just stop.