Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

joat mon posted:

"Teen life principles" are unrelated value :rimshot:-added asides that come as part of the Chemistry courses.
Regardless of whether I agreed with the content or not I see no reason why it even belongs in a chemistry quiz.

I went to a school named after a saint, located right next to a church where many of the faculty and kids attended, and they still managed to keep all of that to the half hour religious studies class and not let it gently caress about with chemistry or history or math.

I guess that's the difference between 'school which happens to be Christian' and 'Christian Education'. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Guavanaut posted:

Regardless of whether I agreed with the content or not I see no reason why it even belongs in a chemistry quiz.

I went to a school named after a saint, located right next to a church where many of the faculty and kids attended, and they still managed to keep all of that to the half hour religious studies class and not let it gently caress about with chemistry or history or math.

I guess that's the difference between 'school which happens to be Christian' and 'Christian Education'. Ugh.

I went to a literal private Christian school as a kid, chorus and chapel every day, and even they didn't do this.
I only went there through 4th grade, but I was not taught to blindly trust authority figures. We had the same material that secular schools had only we went through it, on average, a year earlier.
This ACE stuff is an abomination.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Maybe keep this stuff in the appropriate thread. While horrifying, I don't see what this particular hobby horse has to do with LGBT issues beyond just being more ultra-right wing garbage.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cythereal posted:

Maybe keep this stuff in the appropriate thread. While horrifying, I don't see what this particular hobby horse has to do with LGBT issues beyond just being more ultra-right wing garbage.

Ultra-conservative Christian education is prooooobably not all that OK with kids being gay, bi, trans, or anything else.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Edit: This thread is not about myself or my work and I apologize for this post. It was a mistake and it is gone now. Please proceed with the conversation as if I did not participate- it was not my intent to cause an unwelcome derail.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 25, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah but prester jane has literally had 2 threads to drive this one trick pony of theirs. Does it have to be here too?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah but prester jane has literally had 2 threads to drive this one trick pony of theirs. Does it have to be here too?

Nothing against PJ personally but concurring.

EDIT:
Also huzzah to Taiwan for its ruling to legalize gay marriage!

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 25, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Fair enough, I'll keep my material out of this thread going forewards.

Edit: I offer my heartfelt apologies for any undue interruption of this thread I may have caused. I am not attempting to be sarcastic or troll here, I am being up front and honest. It is apparent that my participation in this instance here has brought an unwelcome derailment of this thread and for that I do genuinely apologize and will take pains to avoid repeating this particular error in the future.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 25, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Don't sweat it, PJ. I don't really understand your compaction theory stuff, but I think your perspective is really interesting, it should just go on in more relevant threads.

Glazier posted:

This is what I'm afraid of here with a President Pence, no country with an official religion will ever be safe for us.

Not saying we're amazing or anything, but Denmark has a state church and we rank as one of the best places in the world to be gay, and I'd say it's true - at least in major cities( though I guess it's like that everywhere).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Prester Jane posted:

Fair enough, I'll keep my material out of this thread going forewards.

Edit: I offer my heartfelt apologies for any undue interruption of this thread I may have caused. I am not attempting to be sarcastic or troll here, I am being up front and honest. It is apparent that my participation in this instance here has brought an unwelcome derailment of this thread and for that I do genuinely apologize and will take pains to avoid repeating this particular error in the future.

It's not a perfect fit, but if you wanted to have a more extended/serious discussion about ACE again I'm sure most people in TGRS would be OK with a thread there as long as it was clear how it tied into suppressing minority identities and such.

And we all know you didn't mean any harm :)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
7th Circuit court panel unanimously rules to uphold injunction against Wisconsin school's Anti-Trans bathroom policy.

They actually went further and stated that bathroom bills likely violate not only Title IX, but the 14th Amendment as well.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Keeshhound posted:

7th Circuit court panel unanimously rules to uphold injunction against Wisconsin school's Anti-Trans bathroom policy.

They actually went further and stated that bathroom bills likely violate not only Title IX, but the 14th Amendment as well.

Here's the [url=http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2017/D05-30/C:16-3522:j:Williams:aut:T:fnOp:N:1971382:S:0]opinion[/url].

It looks like they're expanding their [url=http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2017/D04-04/C:15-1720:j:Wood:aut:T:fnOp:N:1942256:S:0]Hively[/url] analysis beyond the employment discrimination realm. I hope it sticks.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Pittsburgh's head of the Fraternal Order of Police is frightened that 30 squad cars with small logos in support of PRIDE will lead to law enforcement officers being targeted and attacked by radicalized groups.

http://www.wtae.com/article/controversy-brewing-within-pittsburgh-police-department-over-pride-decals-for-c/9970451

Pittsburgh police have had incidents of patrol officers being pictured proudly displaying their white nationalist tattoos in the past, as well as their union becoming very pissed off that their chief of police finally publicly acknowledged their institutional racism in a very weak way.

Their chief of police's terrible crime toward the police union?

quote:

He explained that during the parade, he stopped at a coffee shop, where he encountered a group of activists and spoke with them “about how implicit, or unconscious bias results in misunderstanding on all sides, and how the need is for dialogue to clear up misunderstanding,” the report says.

Further, he asked officers to approach their jobs mindfully, with a continued motivation to protect and serve.

“Please beware also, race impacts how we view one another, and unconscious bias applies to how we deal with the public. It can also impact how we judge one another; I intend we will confront both through training,” McLay added.
Their union ran him out, of course.

The current chief also isn't happy with the union's current bigotry either, though.

quote:

"It's very disheartening to hear the FOP went to the media about their displeasure in supporting Pride and other events that help build stronger partnerships with the community we are entrusted to serve and protect. It's extremely disappointing that the FOP would attempt to strain relations with the community when the PBP is doing everything in our power to improve those relationships. The FOP is sending a message that has the potential to do reprehensible harm to progress we've made to ensure there is inclusion with all members of the community."

This is not a PRIDE specific program. There are small squad car logos for breast cancer, the special olympics, and many other causes and upcoming events in the city.
The police union only took issue with PRIDE, because they are filled to the brim with bigots.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Just started following a couple pages ago.. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but is this the primary LGBT thread, or is this one mostly for politics?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
It's the main lgbt thread in DND :v:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Schizotek posted:

It's the main lgbt thread in DND :v:

Can you link me to the other?

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Tias posted:

Can you link me to the other?

It's also the only LGBT thread in DND :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Tias posted:

Just started following a couple pages ago.. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but is this the primary LGBT thread, or is this one mostly for politics?

Its the primary LGBT thread in the political forum so the answer is: Yes.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, I was asking for the largest one, sorry. Is it in E/N or GBS?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Tias posted:

Yeah, I was asking for the largest one, sorry. Is it in E/N or GBS?

You might be looking for the fabgoons thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731172

Tias
May 25, 2008

That's the one! Thanks and sorry for being unclear :3

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/872523069356691457

Reminder the Texas legislature only meets once every two years for about a 4 month session.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It got deleted, what horrid nonsense did they do this time?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Shortest Path posted:

It got deleted, what horrid nonsense did they do this time?

Convened an emergency legislature session to pass an anti trans bathroom bill.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ZackFord/status...23post473271369

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Good.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SO is a gun company sponsoring DC PRide or something?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

SO is a gun company sponsoring DC PRide or something?

Pride parades are becoming increasingly more corporate in order to fund them. A lot of companies are doing pride floats to show they support LGBTQ workers because it's no longer financially viable to be bigoted against them, so they show token support instead. Yay capitalism.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Like I said over in fabgoons, megacorps love pretending that they love The Gays™ so long as it makes them one fraction of a red cent more than making GBS threads on us. The moment it doesn't, then we're expendable to them.

gently caress corporation floats in pride parades, gently caress allowing cops to attend in uniform, gently caress allowing politicians to campaign there unless their record on gay rights is SPOTLESS, and gently caress any straight tourist that isn't respectful.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

While I agree with your other points, I'm not aware that cops can work security out of uniform. I've never heard of it at least, but I'm willing to admit I'm wrong.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

RagnarokAngel posted:

While I agree with your other points, I'm not aware that cops can work security out of uniform. I've never heard of it at least, but I'm willing to admit I'm wrong.

Last NY PRide had uniform LGBT cops marching in the parade.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

BigRed0427 posted:

Which is what I have a problem with. The NYPD can march in a pride parade with my approval when it's holding a giant banner that reads "We're sorry we made you beat the poo poo out of us at Stonewall", and pails of garbage are passed out beforehand for the audience to throw at them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sorry, my bad. I've always been in the parades themselves so I've never seen Police groups marching so I only associated it with cops doing security along the parade route.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Which is what I have a problem with. The NYPD can march in a pride parade with my approval when it's holding a giant banner that reads "We're sorry we made you beat the poo poo out of us at Stonewall", and pails of garbage are passed out beforehand for the audience to throw at them.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

BigRed0427 posted:

They also had Toronto cops as guests because Toronto pride finally banned them from doing it.

Cirvot
Oct 21, 2012
Yes, because hating and excluding LGBTQ people that choose the profession today is cool for the crimes commited by their (probably cis het) predecessors.

Am I reading that right? Don't personally care to much about the topic at hand but it always reads funny to me whenever it comes up.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Cirvot posted:

Yes, because hating and excluding LGBTQ people that choose the profession today is cool for the crimes commited by their (probably cis het) predecessors.

Am I reading that right? Don't personally care to much about the topic at hand but it always reads funny to me whenever it comes up.

Taking up the uniform is entirely a choice and parading in uniform is itself a political decision that forces pride to tacitly endorse the institutions they represent. Even if they might be good people individually the institution they represent is still on the whole bad.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Cirvot posted:

That's not it at all, of course the people are allowed, it's the symbol of their job that isn't due to the prior and continued negative events.

A.k.a the police the organization should gently caress off the people who work as police can show as much support as they want (without the loaded symbols)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Do people feel the same about religious organizations marching? Even the ones that are pro-LGBT now probably weren't in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cirvot posted:

all cops are bastards, whether they're cishet or queer

and cops are still enforcing violence on lgbt people, it ain't a "sins of the father" type thing, unless some lesbian cop refuses to arrest sex workers and refuses to take condoms from people on the street. you wanna show up out of uniform, fine, but don't expect people who've been at the end of police brutality to want you to parade around them with your badge like you ain't part of a fraternity that regularly murders black men, women, and nonbinary people.

• Locked thread