Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

I played a Rollergames table for the first time last week and I thought it was alright
I picked one of those up a few months back and I think it might be one of the best values in pinball right now. System 11s have really shot up in price over the last couple years, but Rollergames has largely been ignored. It pretty much has zero depth, you can figure the whole game out in an evening, so I kinda get it. But the shots are as good if not better than the average Ritchie design, very satisfying and really fast. There are even cool gimmicks like the two-stage kickback and locked balls randomly being shot around the wireform loop just to distract you. The previous owner of mine powdercoated a bunch of the stuff pink so I stuck it in a local hipster bar and people are loving it.

Oh and there is a bunch of episodes on YouTube too, definitely worth checking out.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Awesome! posted:

if you dont want gottliebs just stay away from 6

Oh I'm buying it anyways, but I'm not gonna like it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

RIDE TO DIE

DIE TO LIVE

I stand by my call that Harley Davidson is hands-down the worst game in TPA. Even worse than loving Class of 1812 and Bonebusters Inc. Like bad enough to drag down Season 1 from the number one spot and that season has Twilight Zone.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 9, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

King Vidiot posted:

I stand by my call that Harley Davidson is hands-down the worst game in TPA. Even worse than loving Class of 1812 and Bonebusters Inc. Like bad enough to drag down Season 1 from the number one spot and that season has Twilight Zone.

I have two words for you: "Goin' Nuts". :colbert:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

King Vidiot posted:

prefect posted:

I have two words for you: "Goin' Nuts". :colbert:

The worst table on TPA is neither of those. It's Doctor Who: Master of Time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Master of Time is shockingly inept.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Same Great Paste posted:

I'll be the dumbshit who has to ask - which is the coolest?

My favorite is TZ's mini playfield. It's not the flashiest, but it's the best integration into the rules and not just there for the score.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TheMcD posted:

The worst table on TPA is neither of those. It's Doctor Who: Master of Time.

I'm only talking about real tables here :colbert:

e: Also I tried a Goin' Nuts in-person before and it's really not all that bad.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

King Vidiot posted:

I'll take pretty much anything over some of those early EM machines on offer. Like, put any (real) table up against Central Park and I'll chuck that bell-ringing waste to the curb in heartbeat. That Doctor Who table is a real tragedy but including it ruin the curve.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think the gameplay on goin nuts is kind of fun i just cant stand the grating "music"

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

My recent barcade just got Tales of the Arabian Nights, Revenge From Mars, Twilight Zone and Safe Cracker. I can't wait to try Safe Cracker out in person later today.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Anyone going to the NW Pinball Expo this weekend? I'm taking my kid on Sunday.

Pretty good list of pins: http://www.nwpinballshow.com/games

My fav: Earthshaker. Haven't seen that one in awhile. "It's sunny drive time!"

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I'm going on Sunday - I really want to check out Alien.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Meydey posted:

Nah, but I am checking out SFGE (Atlanta) tonight. I hear some music games are there this year too, so that's cool.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Meydey posted:

I'm here right now! It's loud. Waiting in line to play Houdini.

edit: MAN that was fun! I'm almost tempted to leave work early and go again tonight. Definitely check out the EM lineup, most of them have been really nicely restored and are super fun to play. They have a flipperless pin that's really neat, and also a Humpty Dumpty, which was the first pin with flippers, so definitely check those out. Definitely see if you can get a magic token from Safecracker, too.

I still can't believe I dropped all the 2001 targets on my first ball. The rest of the game was just knocking out specials.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 10, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dr. Hurt posted:

My recent barcade just got Tales of the Arabian Nights, Revenge From Mars, Twilight Zone and Safe Cracker. I can't wait to try Safe Cracker out in person later today.
Nice lineup. Safe Cracker is one of those games I'd love to own if I had too much money and space for pinball machines.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
All I had to do was shoot the center ramp to get Hand of the King for the first time. Instead I misplayed a trap and drained my last ball, and now I haven't come remotely close to getting it again. Just when I think I'm finally starting to turn a corner and get better I'll go on a terrible run that lasts weeks.

Pinball is a total bastard.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

tonedef131 posted:

I picked one of those up a few months back and I think it might be one of the best values in pinball right now. System 11s have really shot up in price over the last couple years, but Rollergames has largely been ignored. It pretty much has zero depth, you can figure the whole game out in an evening, so I kinda get it. But the shots are as good if not better than the average Ritchie design, very satisfying and really fast. There are even cool gimmicks like the two-stage kickback and locked balls randomly being shot around the wireform loop just to distract you. The previous owner of mine powdercoated a bunch of the stuff pink so I stuck it in a local hipster bar and people are loving it.

I wish tables were cheaper here in Australia. I want Rollergames, World Cup Soccer, and one of the Firepower ones (just for the sound effects really) but my god the price. You know, if I can even find one.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Gromit posted:

I wish tables were cheaper here in Australia. I want Rollergames, World Cup Soccer, and one of the Firepower ones (just for the sound effects really) but my god the price. You know, if I can even find one.
You have good taste. I have all three of those machines on location and bought them all because they seemed like the best value for their respective eras. We will see how long Rollergames keeps putting out, but Firepower and WCS are consistently two of the highest played machines.

WCS94 is satisfying and fun even if you don't know what you're doing, but is still a challenge to get to the World Cup even if you are skilled and experienced. Make sure you set it up harder than factory though, as it's way too easy that way and will lead to boredom in a short time.

Firepower is insanely punishing and carries a money back guarantee to put your dick in the dirt. I keep that one at 25¢ and the replay score is an extra ball. It has that "one more game" appeal and when you finally do get multiball or rip that lit spinner it's a huge rush. Everybody loves Firepower. Everybody also hates Firepower. But we have to keep it around for the old guys, it's the only machine that makes "pinball noises".

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Yes, Guardians of the Galaxy, what I want is to suffer through 100 seconds of low scoring and cinematics before I can truly start making shots. That really makes me excited to continue practing you.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

are you talking about the fx2 table? you can turn the intro multiball off in the options i think

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Yeah. Thanks, I'll take a look. It's a novel idea that, much like the scream in Ghostbusters, doesn't hold up to repeated play.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SFGE was fun, by the way, forgot to mention it. Tables I remember playing:

Goldeneye 007
High Speed 2
Bride of Pinbot 2.0
Street Fighter II
World Cup Soccer '94
Star Wars (Data East)
Star Wars Trilogy (Sega)
X-Men
Iron Man
Whirlwind
Fun House

I managed to get the top score on Street Fighter II on my first game! I almost completed the Champion Challenge but I game over'd at 11/12 fighters.

tonedef131 posted:

WCS94 is satisfying and fun even if you don't know what you're doing, but is still a challenge to get to the World Cup even if you are skilled and experienced. Make sure you set it up harder than factory though, as it's way too easy that way and will lead to boredom in a short time.

WCS is fun; I remember playing it a lot as a kid and it still holds up well. Also the announcer going apeshit for everything you do on the table is just fun. One of the tables at SFGE had an LED conversion kit installed and it was 90's as gently caress. So much neon green, blue and purple! It's like a Solo cup in my eyeballs!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Robot Danger posted:

All I had to do was shoot the center ramp to get Hand of the King for the first time. Instead I misplayed a trap and drained my last ball, and now I haven't come remotely close to getting it again. Just when I think I'm finally starting to turn a corner and get better I'll go on a terrible run that lasts weeks.

Ahahahaha, you're still trying to get Hand of the King. The real fun begins once you get that and then spend more than double the time choking away attempts on Targaryen Phase 3 over and over and over again with it being the last mode you need before Iron Throne. Trying to get Hand of the King just seems so quaint at that point.

What I'm getting at is that pinball isn't just a bastard, it's one that always comes back for seconds.

tonedef131 posted:

DizzyBum posted:

WCS is fun; I remember playing it a lot as a kid and it still holds up well. Also the announcer going apeshit for everything you do on the table is just fun. One of the tables at SFGE had an LED conversion kit installed and it was 90's as gently caress. So much neon green, blue and purple! It's like a Solo cup in my eyeballs!

World Cup Soccer is rad. I particularly like the wizard mode - it's just "shoot all the balls at the big thing in the middle", but it's executed really well.

Plus, you gotta love the music.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

My regular pinball place has a World Cup Soccer and the spinning ball stopped working soon after I started going, nearly a year ago now. It's something I bring up with the owner from time to time but I've gotten so used to it that I think I'd play worse on a table where it worked, even though the static ball does nothing for me and a spinning ball would theoretically push the ball up the table a little bit.

My place also recently got a Flintstones machine and I stumbled into a string of super jackpots when it was the first game for a recent tournament. First time in a long while that I've been able to put my initials on a machine, and the last table (Popeye) was moved to a warehouse so I rarely get to see it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

My regular pinball place has a World Cup Soccer and the spinning ball stopped working soon after I started going, nearly a year ago now. It's something I bring up with the owner from time to time but I've gotten so used to it that I think I'd play worse on a table where it worked, even though the static ball does nothing for me and a spinning ball would theoretically push the ball up the table a little bit.

I feel like the spinning ball doesn't really do anything for my goal shots, but it sure likes to pull the ball to the right lane when it hits it from the top.

As a side note, I really like the Assist kickout next to the goal. Such a great little feature.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Robot Danger posted:

Just before I read this, my boyfriend came in and shouted, "Get ready, baby! We're getting Hand of the King tonight or we're gonna die trying!" Synchronicity, y'all.

I've been in a pinball wasteland for a week and am way out of practice. Guess I'm gonna die tonight.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Just before I read this, my boyfriend came in and shouted, "Get ready, baby! We're getting Hand of the King tonight or we're gonna die trying!" Synchronicity, y'all.

I've been in a pinball wasteland for a week and am way out of practice. Guess I'm gonna die tonight.

Just pick Martell, stack two modes like Lannister or Stark into Blackwater, and hope for the best.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
House Tyrell for life!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Robot Danger posted:

House Tyrell for life!

Tyrell is the pro choice for scores, but if you're gunning for just making it to Hand of the King, stacking modes into Blackwater and using the add-a-ball from Martell to keep yourself afloat is the way to go - you're going to have plenty of opportunities for ramp shots to complete Stark and plenty of shots that miss but hit gold targets to light shots during Lannister, so stacking those two into Blackwater is a good way to make it easier to get to Hand of the King.

Martell gives a shoddy-rear end "bonus" to Hand of the King (having to complete all the shots twice instead of once), but it's relatively easy to complete, and it's one mode more. Tyrell is a bit more wonky to complete because it requires shots at the right target bank, which is questionable at times, so Martell wins on the bonus you get and the mode that starts lit.

Of course, I've gone beyond the phase of just wanting to get to Hand of the King, so for me, it's picking Tyrell, then completing Greyjoy, Tyrell, and Blackwater with Stark and Lannister into Hand of the King or bust.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
If you're specifically trying for HOTK, Tyrell isn't a bad choice I would think. Tyrell and Baratheon seem harder / more dangerous to light than the others, so you might as well start with it lit. It's also one that saves your progress. Has one of the better rewards as well as far as scoring goes.

Edit : And we officially have a difference in opinion!

Edit 2 : I still alternate between using Grayjoy, Martell, or Tyrell depending on mood / circumstance.

Grayjoy is great if you end up having a decent game. Martell's extra ball plus Tyrell's inlane multiplier increase? Yes please. I eat poo poo trying to light / finish modes a lot though. I'm looking at you, Stark. Loop the ramp 8 times in a row, miss once, sorry - mode timed out.

I go Martell most of the time just to have the add a ball available, but don't complete the house in order to avoid the BS penalty once you get to HOTK.

Tyrell sometimes if I'm in a league/tourney game where I can't play extra balls. Just starting it and hitting a few shots can keep you out of last. Do halfway decent and it really starts to pay off.

If I've ever started a game of the other three it was a serious accident.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 14, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tony Phillips posted:

If you're specifically trying for HOTK, Tyrell isn't a bad choice I would think. Tyrell and Baratheon seem harder / more dangerous to light than the others, so you might as well start with it lit. It's also one that saves your progress. Has one of the better rewards as well as far as scoring goes.

Edit : And we officially have a difference in opinion!

Saves your progress? Doesn't sound like pinball to me. Harumph.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

prefect posted:

Saves your progress? Doesn't sound like pinball to me. Harumph.

It's the least Lannister and Tyrell could do. If you're gonna force me to hit mean rear end standups in order to proceed, give me credit for the power drain, drat it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

You guys are making me want to play GoT.

Has anyone played the Premium/LE version? I played it once but don't remember much at the time. Wondering how it differs from the pro.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I've mostly only played the premium, and I prefer the faster playing Pro. The upper playing field isn't particularly interesting and I've never seen anyone ever get its multiball.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Clouseau posted:

I've mostly only played the premium, and I prefer the faster playing Pro. The upper playing field isn't particularly interesting and I've never seen anyone ever get its multiball.

I've gotten it, but it's disjointed as all hell since doesn't stack and therefore doesn't really flow into any strategies beyond "get it and play it", and I'm really not seeing how to properly use it to score big. Seems like you need to aim on the upper playfield during multiball, which just seems like an impossibility to me with balls on the actual playfield as well.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
GOT is boring.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Have played all three versions and would take a pro and the extra cash over a premium or LE any day of the week.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

GOT is boring.

Pure madness. Unless you have a severe allergy to basic fan layouts or something.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Niwrad posted:

You guys are making me want to play GoT.

Has anyone played the Premium/LE version? I played it once but don't remember much at the time. Wondering how it differs from the pro.

The upper playfield is actually decent, IMO, but it plays slower than Pro. I prefer Pro, but I like both quite a lot.

Tyrell is my usual go-to for bigger scores, and I've gotten pretty good at stacking Tyrell and Lannister with Blackwater. Will definitely give the Martell strategy a go tonight, tho, and see what happens.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Tony Phillips posted:

Pure madness. Unless you have a severe allergy to basic fan layouts or something.

I hate Steve Ritchie games in general but GOT feels like I'm playing with a calculator that lights up. Which is to say, there's so little theme that it's almost literally just scoring. I feel the same about AC/DC.

edit: and the layout bites, honestly, all the shots are in a row and either you nail the shot or you brick it and then the ball flies back in your face at the speed of light. It feels like I'm at a batting cage.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Pinballing trip report: The place I go (actually basically a casino) to is owned by somebody who really likes pinball. That explains why the place has now also gotten a Funhouse (which was broken when I was there, but due to be repaired), and a loving reproduction Medieval Madness.

Medieval Madness was hell to play - it was basically brand new, so it was fast as hell. When I went back to playing Game of Thrones, I was shooting way too early for about two games until I got used to it again. I also never got a replay on Medieval Madness, but that's just a matter of practice. I'll get on that high score board eventually.

On Game of Thrones, I didn't get closer to Iron Throne (best run: Targaryen 2 and 3 and Baratheon left), but I did drop a 1.8 billion to get a new grand champion, and I made Hand of the King about half a dozen times. Also, I got to talk to an employee at the place that also really likes pinball, and when he brought up the Batman '66, I took the opportunity to tell him that somebody should keep the game code updated, and he said he'd bring it up to the guy that maintains the machines. So, good day all around.