Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

I tried to make blueberry and orange jam but it just didn't set at all. Only thing I can think is that I boiled it too hot, is that a thing? Instead of small bubbles and scum I got big bubbles. I jarred it anyway and stuck it in the fridge, but i'm not holding out much hope. Has anyone had much success reboiling jam with liquid pectin?

No that's not a thing. You want a full rolling boil. I have not reboiled with pectin though I believe people do it. I'd just use it as an ice cream/yogurt topping or for smoothies etc. Next time, test how well your jam is setting by putting a bit on a cold plate and seeing if it congeals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

No that's not a thing. You want a full rolling boil. I have not reboiled with pectin though I believe people do it. I'd just use it as an ice cream/yogurt topping or for smoothies etc. Next time, test how well your jam is setting by putting a bit on a cold plate and seeing if it congeals.

Yeah, I've just started making mulberry jam in the past year, and found I had to boil way, way longer than I expected to get things to set properly, even when I used some pectin. I just use a thermometer now, because it will boil ages at around 100C before it finally creeps up to the 105C I want. I assume this is because it takes awhile for enough water to boil out so it can climb above 100C. It was easily 15 minutes or more with my largest gas burner on high.

The cold plate/cold spoon tests worked perfect at 105C as well, I was surprised how much of a difference just a few degrees made. Has just that right amount of give at room temp when it sets, which means it's perfectly spreadable from the fridge.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Thanks for this. I guess I need to invest in a thermometer or at least try the cold plate/spoon method. Thankfully it does make a really nice pancake topping.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Thanks for this. I guess I need to invest in a thermometer or at least try the cold plate/spoon method. Thankfully it does make a really nice pancake topping.

If it doesn't work well for pancakes, I had a blood orange marm that came out kind of soft, using that poo poo as a base with some white wine to braise a piece of pork is godly. Just saying.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Loose jams are also great in cocktails :eng101:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Loose jams are also great in cocktails :eng101:

That is genius!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JBark posted:

I just use a thermometer now, because it will boil ages at around 100C before it finally creeps up to the 105C I want. I assume this is because it takes awhile for enough water to boil out so it can climb above 100C.

This is correct. If you ever decide to make sugar candy, the process is similar -- you start with a saturated solution of sugar in water, and have to boil all the water off before the temperature starts climbing above 100. It can take a long time, and then once the water is gone the temperature rises really quickly as it is no longer able to "vent" heat in the form of steam.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Literally A Person posted:

If it doesn't work well for pancakes, I had a blood orange marm that came out kind of soft, using that poo poo as a base with some white wine to braise a piece of pork is godly. Just saying.

Pro-tier suggestion here for softer set than you wanted jams. I like to use failed jam to make sauces for meat in the slow cooker.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Pro-tier suggestion here for softer set than you wanted jams. I like to use failed jam to make sauces for meat in the slow cooker.

I have never done anything like this before but I am super tempted right now :D does it have to be a slow cooker or could you do it in the oven, maybe in a roasting tin?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

I have never done anything like this before but I am super tempted right now :D does it have to be a slow cooker or could you do it in the oven, maybe in a roasting tin?

I sear my meat first and cover it about halfway in a stock pot with my braising liquid. Set it on low and let it go for like 6 hours.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

I sear my meat first and cover it about halfway in a stock pot with my braising liquid. Set it on low and let it go for like 6 hours.

Thanks! I'm pretty new to cooking at a non basic level, this seems like a fun thing to do for sunday lunch.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Thanks! I'm pretty new to cooking at a non basic level, this seems like a fun thing to do for sunday lunch.

You're totally welcome! Just remember to flip the meat every couple of hours!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

All of them would work, just be mindful of the temperature. ^^^ and yes, turn the meat so it's evenly cooked.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Does anyone have a good recipe for whole pickled peaches?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Pickled...peaches. :magical:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Pickled...peaches. :magical:

The ones I remember from childhood were bizarrely great. They had cloves and other spices that I can't quite recall now.

Eventually I'll give up on finding a recipe and I will destroy many pounds of peaches before finding a way to recreate this fading memory.

They were hella good on ice cream.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The ones I remember from childhood were bizarrely great. They had cloves and other spices that I can't quite recall now.

Eventually I'll give up on finding a recipe and I will destroy many pounds of peaches before finding a way to recreate this fading memory.

Have you thought about doing them as refrigerator pickles? I'd think they'd work fine as long as you used a variety that is generally good for canning (flame crest or another hard-when-ripe peach)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Have you thought about doing them as refrigerator pickles? I'd think they'd work fine as long as you used a variety that is generally good for canning (flame crest or another hard-when-ripe peach)

I've never canned any peach that wasn't jam, so that's good to know!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Win or lose, keep us posted. I gotta hear more about this.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Never heard of pickled peaches, but brandied peaches are delicious. My grandmother made these to put on vanilla ice cream. Usually that meant we got the peaches and she poured the syrup on her ice cream.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012720-brandied-peaches

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

There's a ton of results when you google "pickled peach canning"???? Here's the third result, which seems reputable: http://gapeaches.org/recipes/preparing-pickled-peaches/

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Crusty Nutsack posted:

There's a ton of results when you google "pickled peach canning"???? Here's the third result, which seems reputable: http://gapeaches.org/recipes/preparing-pickled-peaches/

Read this url as "gape aches." Almost peed from laughing.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Last time I looked there wasn't anything good! Apparently that has changed for the better (?).

(Totally does look like "gape aches.")

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Yes, it is an odd collection of letters for some reason

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Is is part of the Expert Sexchange network?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Gonna be picking pounds upon pounds of cherries this week. I have two recipes for spirited cherries in which it seems the only difference is the use of Kirsch or Brandy. Has anybody played around with these? Is one superior to the other for spiriting cherries?

E: I will take that as a no.

I might try both and let you guys know.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 20, 2017

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Got a pallet of blueberries and like a bushel of bruised tomatoes.

The sauce must flow :chef:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Hell Yeah posted:

anybody here grow their own pickling cucumbers? I'm totally lost what kinda seeds i should buy but i get the impression i should probably be planting them in a month or two. i make fermented pickles in halves and quarters, depending on their size, if that makes a difference.

A million years late but "kirby" is the usual variety I think.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Crazyeyes posted:

Got a pallet of blueberries and like a bushel of bruised tomatoes.

The sauce must flow :chef:

Blueberries in my state are peaking right now. I'm likely going to pick some in a day or two. The nice thing about blueberries is they have a really long season, unlike other berries.

Tomatoes are still early. Usually September they become available in bulk for canning, making salsa.

I will put in an order for 25 lbs of cabbage soon to put up sauerkraut.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I've been steadily krauting all month. Apple cider vinegar too from windfall apples. It's taking a good long time to reach an appropriate strength.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Strawberry jam time, bought from a local place.

This year I'd like to head out in the forests and pick some blueberries (bilberries to be precise) and cloudberries, they're in season right now, just around our house we had enough for a blueberry pie last week.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I've been steadily krauting all month.

Girlfriend bought me one of these https://www.amazon.com/Humble-House-German-Style-Fermentation-HHSK105/dp/B01I8HT5IY/ but instead of kraut or dill pickles I went straight to kimchi.

Holy moly if you have have never tried kimchi made at home it will blow your god drat mind. We got 8 napa cabbages worth in it and followed maangchi's recipe.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Ranter posted:

Girlfriend bought me one of these https://www.amazon.com/Humble-House-German-Style-Fermentation-HHSK105/dp/B01I8HT5IY/ but instead of kraut or dill pickles I went straight to kimchi.

Holy moly if you have have never tried kimchi made at home it will blow your god drat mind. We got 8 napa cabbages worth in it and followed maangchi's recipe.

I love that thing. Mine is farting away merrily by the pantry.

Another good source of crocks and canning jars are little local hardware stores. I get a better price on Ball jars from my hardware store and the local grocery than I can through Uline and other packaging companies.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Made some quick fridge dill kirbys and garlic

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

So far this week I've made peach jam and put this beautiful jar of lacto-fermented veggies together. They should be ready to eat tomorrow.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

So far this week I've made peach jam and put this beautiful jar of lacto-fermented veggies together. They should be ready to eat tomorrow.

Hmmm, yeah I need that in my life, yesterday. Recipe please??

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The Midniter posted:

Hmmm, yeah I need that in my life, yesterday. Recipe please??

Yes, you do. I had some today and they're beyond delicious.

The veggies are up to you. I like cauliflower, green jalepeņos, sliced garlic cloves and red onions. Some people like to add carrots and sweet peppers to this mix. All personal preference.

The spices I use are a standard mix of pickling spices: dill seed, mustard seed, black peppercorns, crushed bay leaf, red pepper flakes. I like to dry ripened jalepeņos, crush them and toss it in too. I like my cauliflower nice and warm. If you like, you can also add whole cloves, cinnamon stick, whatever you prefer. If you have your own spice blend you like, use that.

Toss a teaspoon or two of your spice blend in the bottom of the jar. The jar in the picture is two quarts. Slice a clove of garlic and put that down there too. Have your veggies cut up the way you want and mix them in a bowl ahead of time. Pack your veggie mixture halfway up the jar, add more spices and garlic, pack more veggies, leaving a few inches of free space at the top. Throw the rest of your spices and garlic on top.

The brine is a solution of a quart of water with two tablespoons of salt added, the juice of one lemon, and six tablespoons of whey. I used whey from the kefir I make. Whey from plain yogurt works fine too. Make sure to strain your whey really well before putting it in your brine.

Pour in the lemon juice and whey, finishing with the salt water. Make sure your veggies are covered with liquid, and there's still a couple of inches of free space at the top.

Fill a plastic storage bag with about half a cup of water and use a twist tie or rubber band to tie it off. Put the bag into the top of the jar. This will make sure your veggies stay under the brine, and keep as much air out as possible. I fold the plastic bag over the top of the jar and seal it with a rubber band because it's fruit fly season, and if the little fuckers get in there, your pickles are ruined.

You should start seeing bubbles in the jar within 24 hours. The aroma should be never sour or moldy. You can check to make sure you don't have mold growing after a couple of days.

Let that sit on your counter for 3 to 5 days, depending on the temperature in the kitchen. Once they're finished, put a lid on the jar and store them in the fridge. They'll keep for months, if they last that long.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
This is a dumb question but what kind of salt are you using? I use Diamond kosher, so I usually need to scale up salt when it's measured by volume.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This is a dumb question but what kind of salt are you using? I use Diamond kosher, so I usually need to scale up salt when it's measured by volume.

Same, using kosher salt. Should mention if you're new to pickling/fermenting you want to use non-iodized salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

six tablespoons of whey

I eat a poo poo ton of Greek yogurt, would the whey that I usually mix back in when I open a new container work? I could collect six tablespoons very quickly.

Alternately, it's an excuse to make some ricotta or paneer.