Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
End this absolutely bizarre conversation about Birds and chocolate.
No one is benefiting from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I also had the distinction as a child of trying to shut up the neighbor's dog by feeding it hushpuppies.

Well, did it work???

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Nuevo posted:

Well, did it work???

It never barked again :rip:

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Is there a mod that makes the crafting system similar to one on console? I hate having to look up formulas every ten minutes on my phone.

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005

Castor Poe posted:

Is there a mod that makes the crafting system similar to one on console? I hate having to look up formulas every ten minutes on my phone.

You mean like JEI/NEI?

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Castor Poe posted:

1.12 is adding a very similar system if you play the most recent snapshot you can mess around with it.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Vaxine posted:

You mean like JEI/NEI?

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

1.12 is adding a very similar system if you play the most recent snapshot you can mess around with it.

I'll check it out, thanks! Sorry if JEI/NEI is well known, I only got into Minecraft a few days ago.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Castor Poe posted:

I'll check it out, thanks! Sorry if JEI/NEI is well known, I only got into Minecraft a few days ago.

JEI/NEI is a mod that shows all the blocks that are in your current version of Minecraft and their recipes. It's been around for a while but Mojang finally got the memo that maybe something like it needed to be in so with the new update Achievements got swapped for the advancement system. Now when you pick up a block it give you access to the various recipes that block is involved with with the resources you have currently gathered. Then it's a couple clicks and boom your crafting something instead of having to drag each material into the crafting window.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Yeah, NEI has been around for literally years. Most PC users have either installed it or have always just alt+tabbed to the wiki. The consoles, where neither of those was an option, implemented in integrated system.

Despite there being options, it's long overdue.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

VideoGames posted:

End this absolutely bizarre conversation about Birds and chocolate.
No one is benefiting from it.

Are you kidding? I'm so god-damned entertained right now, it's these stupid outbursts that make this thread worth keeping! Nobody gets their information here anymore, we're all picking it up on Twitter or Reddit and echoing it back.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

'parroting' is the word you were looking for

:smug:

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Magmarashi posted:

'parroting' is the word you were looking for

:smug:

And tweeting.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

fondue posted:

... Nobody gets their information here anymore, we're all picking it up on Twitter or Reddit and echoing it back.

*raises hand*
I actually get my Minecraft info from here. The thread is slow-burning enough that I get only the good info and silly jokes rather than all the dumb drama. I don't actually *play* minecraft anymore, but I like to hear about how it's doing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Blasphemeral posted:

*raises hand*
I actually get my Minecraft info from here. The thread is slow-burning enough that I get only the good info and silly jokes rather than all the dumb drama. I don't actually *play* minecraft anymore, but I like to hear about how it's doing.

This is me. Are you me?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Well I was wrong then. :)

They've delayed 1.12 until June 7th, still working out bugs.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I keep trying to set up a mob farm, but I don't understand how spawning works nowadays. I have a series of dark floors with water to push them into a hole, and I've lit up all the caves I could find in the area. Mobs will spawn in the farm, but without any consistency because I guess I'm too close or too far away. Where do I have to stand to make them spawn?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Did they change mob spawning? I have a tower built using a design I saw Etho explain (the tic tac toe pattern one) from a few years ago. With that one there is definitely a sweet spot for how close/far you need to be to make it work, and even then I found that I often had to leave and come back to reset it sometimes. It never seemed to work as well as I've seen in videos, but most videos I saw it built in were creative mode tutorials.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Mob spawners are definitely a lot stronger in caveless skyblock scenarios where monsters can only spawn in a very limited number of places.

Mobs will not spawn fewer than 24 blocks away from a player, so you might be standing too close to your monster spawning zone. Monsters do not move if all players are more than 32 blocks away, so if your spawner requires mobs to randomly wander into the pushing water, they won't do so if you're more than 32 blocks away from them.

Mobs will not spawn on transparent or blocks that don't have a solid top, so trap doors, half slabs in the bottom position, glass, etc will not spawn mobs on top of them.

Hostile mobs will not spawn in water, either flowing or source.

The easiest way to test your mob farm would be to stand 24-32 blocks away from the spawning spots, turn the difficulty to peaceful for a second just to despawn all the currently existing mobs, then turn the difficulty back up so you can get a clean test.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Does the 24-32 blocks away thing count vertical space as well? The weird thing for me is I have a big drop for killing them, and if I stand around at the chest waiting for drops, nobody will spawn. But on the way back up the ladder, which is the same amount of space away, I will hear them spawn in the farm and eventually fall. Is it possible to be too far up/down from the spawn positions now?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Jamesman posted:

Does the 24-32 blocks away thing count vertical space as well? The weird thing for me is I have a big drop for killing them, and if I stand around at the chest waiting for drops, nobody will spawn. But on the way back up the ladder, which is the same amount of space away, I will hear them spawn in the farm and eventually fall. Is it possible to be too far up/down from the spawn positions now?

I don't know if it used to be different, but at least as far back as 1.6.4 vertical space has mattered and as far as I know it still does.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

I don't know if it used to be different, but at least as far back as 1.6.4 vertical space has mattered and as far as I know it still does.

That's my problem then. I have 4 floors in my farm right now, and a 25-block drop to kill them. So if I'm at the bottom, nobody can spawn. As I climb up, I'm in range of some spawn areas. When I'm at ground level, I'm too close.

I can idle in another safe spot that triggers at least a couple floors, but if I want an efficient farm I'll need to make one where my idling position is better centered.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jamesman posted:

That's my problem then. I have 4 floors in my farm right now, and a 25-block drop to kill them. So if I'm at the bottom, nobody can spawn. As I climb up, I'm in range of some spawn areas. When I'm at ground level, I'm too close.

I can idle in another safe spot that triggers at least a couple floors, but if I want an efficient farm I'll need to make one where my idling position is better centered.

My mob tower is up in the sky, and I basically built a pipe with water and a water ladder/elevator to drop the mobs into a slot on a platform that is within a reasonable range. But I also have a couple of platforms I can climb to and wait for spawns that seems a bit more optimal. I made the monster pipes out of glass so I can see for sure how many are pumping through the system.

They haven't broke mob water elevators right?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Minecraft World of Color is released!

"The World of Color update also introduces the recipe book and a whole new advancements system. These will help guiding your way through the adventure of Minecraft, and can be utilized by creators to make interesting custom adventure maps and mini games.

And lets not forget, parrots! :partyparrot: "

The World of Color change log,
  • Added Glazed Terracotta blocks
  • Renamed Hardened Clay to Terracotta
  • Added Concrete Powder blocks
  • Added Concrete blocks
  • Updated base color palette
  • Added advancements
  • Added recipe book
  • Added Knowledge Book item
  • Added Parrots
  • Added functionality to save toolbars in creative mode
  • Added text-to-speech narrator
  • Added new sounds for the Note blocks
  • Added commands relating to recipes and advancements
  • Many minor fixes and changes

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So I guess the non-java versions are being unified with crossplay, and will also have built in shaders. They are also adding the whole multiplayer mega server thing to those.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

So I guess the non-java versions are being unified with crossplay, and will also have built in shaders. They are also adding the whole multiplayer mega server thing to those.

What do you mean cross play with what?

Also, built in shaders that don't melt my gpu? :toot:

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Sounds like the backends of all the non Java versions of MC is going to be powered by Xbox Live across all consoles, mobile platforms etc.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Xbone players playing with Win10 players.

Shaders are part of a 4k resolution update, XboneX and Win10.

https://youtu.be/Nq_Q77bJ3H0

It kinda looks like a game finally.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Console + Nintendo Switch, mobile, and win10.

The shaders are pretty much almost exactly like those Sildur ones, except they don't have the bugs and poor performance. But I don't have win10 so my version of MC doesn't count in this brave new world. :smithicide:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
MinecraftChick gets more insufferable every year.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not everyone is made for stage performance, man.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, looks like you're going to be signing into your Xbox Live account on the Switch for the new cross-platform multiplayer. Also apparently DLC is going to be cross-buy?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-e3-2017-minecraft-on-switch-requires-an-x/1100-6450965/

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So just to confirm, literally none of this stuff applies to old MC right? It's kind of funny how they just released a new update but were essentially completely buried at E3.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jamesman posted:

MinecraftChick gets more insufferable every year.

I don't think I've seen any time where she wasn't just absolutely and totally embarrassing.

Who likes this stuff?

EDIT: Was it a time-limited upgrade option for the 'free' Windows 10 version of MC? I never did it, can I still do it?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

So just to confirm, literally none of this stuff applies to old MC right? It's kind of funny how they just released a new update but were essentially completely buried at E3.

No, it's just for the mobile, Xbone/Switch (no PS4, Sony's not playing ball) and Windows 10 version. The Java version remains its own thing.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

[in extremely regular dude voice] Mine Craft Chick? Thats insufferable, to me.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

HAT FETISH posted:

[in extremely regular dude voice] Mine Craft Chick? Thats insufferable, to me.

[screenshot intentionally taken mid-expression] How absolutely and totally embarrassing.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Veotax posted:

Also apparently DLC is going to be cross-buy?

speaking of DLC, anyone know if they're still planning on honoring the "all future minecraft dlc for free" thing for alpha/ pre-alpha buyers or did that get written out somewhere down the line?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Koramei posted:

speaking of DLC, anyone know if they're still planning on honoring the "all future minecraft dlc for free" thing for alpha/ pre-alpha buyers or did that get written out somewhere down the line?

I bet it only applies to the java version. I mean, every update to that has been free as long as you have an account.
Edit: And I'm sure that if that is indeed the case, the way they get around it is that technically PE/Console/Win10 is a different game, since it's en entirely different codebase made from scratch in C++.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 15, 2017

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I'm a big fan of the C++/pocket codebase in as much as I've been dicking around with it on my phone. It's 1,000 times smoother than Java minecraft on a much beefier computer. That said I'm a vanilla weirdo so that might be a more significant downside for much of the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I'm a big fan of the C++/pocket codebase in as much as I've been dicking around with it on my phone. It's 1,000 times smoother than Java minecraft on a much beefier computer. That said I'm a vanilla weirdo so that might be a more significant downside for much of the thread.

I love how well the Win 10 version runs, but even being someone who normally plays modded, the weird inconsistencies with the java version sort of get to me. For instance there's an offhand slot now, but you can't put anything in it except for maps and arrows, apparently because they haven't added shields yet. I mean, they're under no obligation to maintain feature parity between the two versions because whatever, but it's a little offputting coming from the java version.

The behavior pack stuff they've been doing seems like a step in the right direction w/r/t mods. I imagine that in a few years (which is probably too late, to be honest, but hey), the C++ MC will be exactly where we all wished the Java version would end up with regard to relatively easy modding.