Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

He managed not to push his central pawns into wide open space for 40 moves.

algebra testes posted:

Time pressure.txt

:suicide:

What are we exactly looking at? You were black and were timepressured into a mate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Malaver posted:

He managed not to push his central pawns into wide open space for 40 moves.

What are we exactly looking at? You were black and were timepressured into a mate?

Sorry. I uploaded the wrong photo.

I as white got in this position black responds ...f4.

My next move is Nxf4??

I didn't even see that I was at mate with Qh3 because I had like 3 seconds on the clock.

I feel like such an idiot.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 25, 2017

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

Anyone play or have thoughts on correspondence chess? Particularly the ones that allow engine use? I suck at chess, but boy can I run Stockfish and copy moves. On track to win my first three tournaments. Take that guy who said I'd lose if all I did was mindlessly play engine moves.

I play engines-permitted correspondence chess, although I have a lot more input than just parroting Stockfish's top move. I find it quite relaxing - I get to play my favourite openings and look deeply into interesting positions without having to concentrate too hard or risk randomly dropping a piece. Plus top-level correspondence games are probably as close as you'll get to perfect chess.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

King Pawn posted:

I play engines-permitted correspondence chess, although I have a lot more input than just parroting Stockfish's top move. I find it quite relaxing - I get to play my favourite openings and look deeply into interesting positions without having to concentrate too hard or risk randomly dropping a piece. Plus top-level correspondence games are probably as close as you'll get to perfect chess.

The person who first mentioned ICCF to me claimed that if I just blindly played Stockfish's top move, I'd be soundly beaten, and that was basically what I was interested in testing. To what extent the human element in advance or centaur chess really makes a difference. Not only have I not been beaten, I'm on course to win my first four tournaments. So far my impression really is that the only difference the human element makes is how many threads of computing power you are willing to feed Stockfish and the time you are willing to wait for it to go to deeper ply. The 64 threads of Broadwell Xeon I'm throwing at Stockfish certainly seems to be enough.

That said, I am interested in branching out to other forms of position analysis. Anyone use IDeA in Aquarium?

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 26, 2017

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

The person who first mentioned ICCF to me claimed that if I just blindly played Stockfish's top move, I'd be soundly beaten, and that was basically what I was interested in testing. To what extent the human element in advance or centaur chess really makes a difference. Not only have I not been beaten, I'm on course to win my first four tournaments. So far my impression really is that the only difference the human element makes is how many threads of computing power you are willing to feed Stockfish and the time you are willing to wait for it to go to deeper ply. The 64 threads of Broadwell Xeon I'm throwing at Stockfish certainly seems to be enough.

That said, I am interested in branching out to other forms of position analysis. Anyone use IDeA in Aquarium?

Maybe that was more true a few years ago, but these days the top engines are so strong and hardware so powerful it's a lot harder for a human to add value. And your hardware is going to be better than most.

If you play in higher level tournaments however, I believe you'll still find yourself somewhat outclassed by the better players. At least I hope so, or else the whole thing is a bit pointless..

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Occasionally engines mess up and get stuck with an entombed piece. That is one blind spot they still have. I don't see how you could forcibly push them into entering such positions every game though. Considering engines always beat humans in top level play on their own, it doesn't seem like something that happens often. And usually when an engine does make a mistake, it allows the human to draw when they would've lost.

Sometimes the 2nd-4th move Stockfish sees is better, in terms of generating winning chances... when humans play each other those are often the moves they opt for. Very often the first move is a hyper-solid and unambitious move, and the 2nd or 3rd is a more dynamic but also more dangerous one. Against another engine it seems futile though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Getting back into chess for the first time in years-n-years, god I'm rusty. Somewhere along the line I also completely lost my ability to play a timed game without getting super on-edge and psyched out about it, but I guess that'll come back. Managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory that way in my past few games on Chess.com. Are there any articles or useful tips on specifically dealing with that, the mental aspect of playing competitive, ranked chess?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Fide Moscow Grand Prix finished today. For what it's worth There were two people tied for 1st going into the final day. One peaced out after 13 minutes for the draw, and the other Ding Liren, managed to beat a guy who played junior chess in Soviet Union with Kasparov.

That's professional chess, I guess?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

algebra testes posted:

The Fide Moscow Grand Prix finished today. For what it's worth There were two people tied for 1st going into the final day. One peaced out after 13 minutes for the draw, and the other Ding Liren, managed to beat a guy who played junior chess in Soviet Union with Kasparov.

That's professional chess, I guess?

Shak probably felt comfotable, given that Ding had the black pieces against Gelfand. But now Ding and Shak are tied in the overall GP standings half way through.

Also Hou finished +1, beating Nepomniachtni, Hammer, and Inarkiev. She also drew Nakamura with black. Looking more and more like a matter of "when," not "if" she beats Polgar's rating record.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I played a couple of practice games against the computer, and found the following move and I felt really good about it. And then Fritz gave me a ! and now I feel super embarrassed about a computer program telling me I did a good job and being chuffed about it as well.

15. e6!

My thinking was 16. Rxb4 and then Qa4.

I also didn't see an alternate 16. Ne5 discovered attack on a8.

Basically I'm bad at chess but fluked a good move.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Complete noob alert: :siren:
Jesus Christ, what happened here?
https://lichess.org/VWAfBDmQ
I picked up what I thought was a hanging pawn, but that was enough to throw the evaluation into -2. Then I tried to save my rook from dying for free, that was a -8.5, and he just destroyed me from there. I'm obviously missing something fundamental, but what?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Maha posted:

Complete noob alert: :siren:
Jesus Christ, what happened here?
https://lichess.org/VWAfBDmQ
I picked up what I thought was a hanging pawn, but that was enough to throw the evaluation into -2. Then I tried to save my rook from dying for free, that was a -8.5, and he just destroyed me from there. I'm obviously missing something fundamental, but what?

Well, your Bishop on b5 was hanging after 3...Nd4 4.Nxe5, but your opponent missed it too. After that instead you let Qxg2 happen and that was a disaster with this position.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah, basically, your bishop was under attack and you "traded" it for the black e pawn.

Even after c3, black could have captured your bishop with the Knight and you'd again just have traded bishop for pawn.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Altibox Norway tournament kicks of tommorow with Blitz games. Has a strong field so should be interesting and hopefully better than Moscow.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Altibox Norway tournament kicks of tommorow with Blitz games. Has a strong field so should be interesting and hopefully better than Moscow.

Aronian just beat Carlsen in an outstanding game.

e: http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1877986

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 11, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

Aronian just beat Carlsen in an outstanding game.

Youtube is agog with hot takes on that match.

By hot takes, I mean, insightful computer assisted commentary.

I'm sure that the level of play is beyond most of us, but even I a lovely beginner can appreciate the "beauty" in the bishop sacrifice.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Youtube is agog with hot takes on that match.

By hot takes, I mean, insightful computer assisted commentary.

I'm sure that the level of play is beyond most of us, but even I a lovely beginner can appreciate the "beauty" in the bishop sacrifice.

Just watch Svidler's analysis, he's pretty great.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bigfoot again posted:

Yup I really enjoy his completely frazzled 30 minute breakdown.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

bigfoot again posted:

Where is this?

algebra testes posted:

The move that really gets me is the knight sacrifice at the end of the big line, just deciding to play with pawns in exchange for the piece. I can't imagine the level of analysis you need to look at this and decide "yeah, I'm better."

e: A while ago I remember having a discussion with some friends that Carlsen really hadn't had a big influence on openings. Whereas most previous champions had an opening that was 'theirs,' Carlsen didn't really have that. I think he might be able to claim the Giuoco Piano now.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 11, 2017

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Where is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XBcbpc7ays

Hand Knit posted:

e: A while ago I remember having a discussion with some friends that Carlsen really hadn't had a big influence on openings. Whereas most previous champions had an opening that was 'theirs,' Carlsen didn't really have that. I think he might be able to claim the Giuoco Piano now.

I've heard it said a few times that Carlsen's influence on openings is his willingness to play unfashionable or unambitious lines just to get a fresh position (presumably that he has looked at recently and his opponent hasn't). Presumably it makes him almost impossible to specifically prepare for.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

King Pawn posted:

I've heard it said a few times that Carlsen's influence on openings is his willingness to play unfashionable or unambitious lines just to get a fresh position (presumably that he has looked at recently and his opponent hasn't). Presumably it makes him almost impossible to specifically prepare for.

Yeah, the whole "play for play" thing. That's hard to imitate for other players — kinda like how Lasker didn't leave much of an impact on how the game was played because he was just better than other players, rather than heralding in any kind of real shift in play. But bringing by the Giuoco Piano is something more than that, I think.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Lev is doing it again:

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/altibox-norway-chess-2017/6/1/3

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

God I love the way they grab the winner and loser and rub the loser's face in it for the benefit of us, the viewing audience.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Vladimir, you really hosed that up big-time, thoughts?"

Hand Knit posted:

Does "Colle System: Still bad" count?

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.
This is probably a super duper long shot, but maybe someone here can help me out...

My dad gave me a 3-d chess game yesterday, but it didn't come with any instructions. This is the set:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/69043/skor-mor-deluxe-edition-1971

I've been poking around on Google, but I haven't been able to find any instructions for it, just other sets that are for sale. The rules listed in that link are pretty vague. Would anyone here happen to have this set and be willing to scan or photograph the instructions for me, or point me to some online instructions? Thanks!

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Boogeyman posted:

This is probably a super duper long shot, but maybe someone here can help me out...

My dad gave me a 3-d chess game yesterday, but it didn't come with any instructions. This is the set:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/69043/skor-mor-deluxe-edition-1971

I've been poking around on Google, but I haven't been able to find any instructions for it, just other sets that are for sale. The rules listed in that link are pretty vague. Would anyone here happen to have this set and be willing to scan or photograph the instructions for me, or point me to some online instructions? Thanks!

This site appears to have some useful information on playing that style of 3D chess (8x8x3):

http://nazarenespace.com/m/group/discussion?id=2182335%3ATopic%3A88317

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.

Quickpull posted:

This site appears to have some useful information on playing that style of 3D chess (8x8x3):

http://nazarenespace.com/m/group/discussion?id=2182335%3ATopic%3A88317

Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to curse it, but it's looking like we're gonna get a bunch of results again today.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

algebra testes posted:

I'm going to curse it, but it's looking like we're gonna get a bunch of results again today.

Lev won with black and is now clear first with two days left. Magnus lost again and is now equal last with MVL, and his ratings lead is down to 4.4 points above... Vladimir Kramnik?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What I'm taking away from this tournament is I really like Nigel Short.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

algebra testes posted:

What I'm taking away from this tournament is I really like Nigel Short.

If you want him to like you back there's one really very simple trick:

Be a woman between the ages of 14 and 20

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

:stare:

Oh dear.

edit: And now he's started talking about how men are better chess players.

Okay can I take that back?

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 15, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

algebra testes posted:

:stare:

Oh dear.

edit: And now he's started talking about how men are better chess players.

Okay can I take that back?

Not until you imagine his mistoothed visage saying "I'm going to be playing in Edmonton. You know they've offered me a very nice hotel room."

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

or be Margaret Thatcher

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
I particularly enjoy Nigel's tweets about how Islam is an inherently violent religion.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Short is an rear end, but I'm personally a fan of his proposal to change stalemate's evaluation to a win for the stalemating side. It would simultaneously remove one of the less intuitive rules of the game and reduce the large number of draws in top level chess (especially correspondence).

I know I'm firmly in the minority here because I don't care that much about preserving history or tradition, but it'd be cool to see some tournament try it. Doubtful it'll ever happen though :(

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

King Pawn posted:

Short is an rear end, but I'm personally a fan of his proposal to change stalemate's evaluation to a win for the stalemating side. It would simultaneously remove one of the less intuitive rules of the game and reduce the large number of draws in top level chess (especially correspondence).

I know I'm firmly in the minority here because I don't care that much about preserving history or tradition, but it'd be cool to see some tournament try it. Doubtful it'll ever happen though :(

Stalemate happens pretty rarely though, unless you're also counting "neither side can legally win" or "agreed to a draw".

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The easiest is probably shave off a tiny bit of time, or extend the first time control to account for increased opening knowledge.

But I understand the want for continuing "the legacy" or whatever.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

King Pawn posted:

Counterpoints: stalemates are cool as hell and such a rule change would probably murder any ambitious play since a lot of endgames would change from "worse but holdable" to dead lost.

e: poisoned pawn in Caruana-Nakamura as Naka tries to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

Counterpoints: stalemates are cool as hell and such a rule change would probably murder any ambitious play since a lot of endgames would change from "worse but holdable" to dead lost.

e: poisoned pawn in Caruana-Nakamura as Naka tries to win

Rumblings of bad sportsmanship as Nakamura doesn't resign on the spot and instead gets to a bishop and 3 pawns against a knight(!!!).

Meanwhile Vladimir loving Kramnik wins again, this time in 20 moves.

edit: The Kramnik thing is interesting, he's talked about at his age he just has bad days where he can't do anything but others he can still crush it.