Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Actually non-irony post, one of the big distinctions between the Soldier and Demoman was Soldier splash damage rays emitted by its central point were stopped when it hit a body, whereas Demoman explosions penetrate player models and hit everything in their radius. I don't remember if it was only pipes or stickies that had penetrating splash damage but it was a big difference between the classes. Well, anyways, cya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

khwarezm posted:

In any event, like I said, the proposed change also makes getting close headshots harder too.

Bill Barber posted:

Jill from Valve posted on TFTV that, in their testing, the "random spread" still results in exact accuracy at short/mid range.

i like most of these changes. i'm not really planning on playing again, because servers still aren't a thing, but they all sound cool to me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

khwarezm posted:

It does that by design, there's no zoom functionality so its very difficult to actually nail long range headshots. In any event, like I said, the proposed change also makes getting close headshots harder too.
This isn't a good thing to rely on in a game where you can modify the FoV.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

King Lazer posted:

I honestly just don't think it's a big deal. As has been said, accuracy is still going to be fine at mid and short range.

Keeping full accuracy but capping the range at which headshots count would be better, sure, but I don't have a problem with what's been proposed.

Its an unnecessary flat nerf that exists to deal with a non problem. Seriously, were people looking at kill cams and thinking 'Oh boy, that spy was at least two yards too far away for me to be comfortable with that kill, hmm, nope, can't have that'.

Fair enough, but it still looks like a nerf without any good reason to exist to me.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 22, 2017

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

King Lazer posted:

Does anyone who moans in this thread play TF2 tho?

I'm pumped about the changes. They're good to me.

I play like 2-3 hours a week, sometimes more if I'm bored. Way to dismiss my opinion though.

I overreacted a bit, not everything on that list is terrible, only like half of it. So much of it just feels like overreacting to comp whining. Meet Your Match and Tough Break had some good things too, alongside gutting a bunch of fun weapons for no reason.

If this update just let me join Valve servers from the server browser again and brought back auto-balance, I'd happily put up with everything else. Even all the pointless nerfs. Bring on B4nny Fortress 2.

I don't get the razorback nerf though, someone explain this to me. People used the Razorback? Enough that it needed a nerf? Wasn't the downside of the Razorback "It's not any other Sniper secondary that isn't the Razorback"? Did they mean to type Cozy Camper maybe?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
they gave the razorback recharge, but where's the recharge for the poor caber.

please valve, please restore some dignity to the caber. you made it complete dog doo right after i got a strange one.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Dieting Hippo posted:

they gave the razorback recharge, but where's the recharge for the poor caber.

please valve, please restore some dignity to the caber. you made it complete dog doo right after i got a strange one.

I want substantial Demoknight buffs at the expense of vanilla Demoman nerfs.

C'mon Valve, you know you want to bring back that stickybomb damage charge-up from a few years back

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nerf Demo and Soldier into the loving dirt.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bob Locke posted:

I don't get the razorback nerf though, someone explain this to me. People used the Razorback? Enough that it needed a nerf? Wasn't the downside of the Razorback "It's not any other Sniper secondary that isn't the Razorback"? Did they mean to type Cozy Camper maybe?

If no-one uses it, it doesn't really matter if it gets nerfed, since you can just keep on not using it?

But yeah, the razorback was used in one specific niche situation, and in that situation it was really obnoxious to play against. Note that the change is actually a *buff* for the sort of oblivious pubby sniper that was previously using the razorback in non-degenerate situations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Reiley posted:

Listen, even players who can't aim deserve a chance to instantly splatter a whole mess of people at once. It's only fair.

Then they can run scottish resistance like God intended.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
It's time for the fat scout to shine, valve.

and I definitely think the caber should have never got nerfed. It's downside was that once you used it once, it was useless, and you were probably dead or going to be dead when you landed. There was no reason to nerf it. If I ever got killed by a kamikaze demo, I felt nothing but grudging respect.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

QwertySanchez posted:

It's time for the fat scout to shine, valve.

and I definitely think the caber should have never got nerfed. It's downside was that once you used it once, it was useless, and you were probably dead or going to be dead when you landed. There was no reason to nerf it. If I ever got killed by a kamikaze demo, I felt nothing but grudging respect.

As someone who fell in love with the demo because hearing people holler as they see you charging at them with a caber drawn is the best thing in the game, hard same. Killed a lot of my interesting in Demo and then the server change finished the job.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Got my first austalium tonight, an ambassador.

First comment was "Congrats they just nerfed it"

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

If you miss the old Caber I guess you never played Medic much.

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Doctor Reynolds posted:

If you miss the old Caber I guess you never played Medic much.

counterpoint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7buSuqrnPJU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

King Lazer posted:

Does anyone who moans in this thread play TF2 tho?
I basically keep reading this thread in case they ever re-implement some core features that they removed with the old server system. (Can I see "hey my friend is playing" and join them mid-game? Can I not always be on the same team as a friend?)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ditocoaf posted:

I basically keep reading this thread in case they ever re-implement some core features that they removed with the old server system. (Can I see "hey my friend is playing" and join them mid-game? Can I not always be on the same team as a friend?)

On community servers you can.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This is interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1W5DU4zmAA

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

The overall feeling I get from the video is "This game is 10 years old and looked better on release than it does now." Inasmuch as that's the point, it's being a bit selective.

A few of the changes highlighted in the video relate to in-game mechanics changes. (Specifically how they let players pick up and use weapons now, so they can't go away or be knocked around by explosions.)

Most of the rest of the examples are losses of detail that they probably introduced to make room for the bajillion weapons and cosmetics. How you feel about that is 100% down to how you feel about the new weapons and Hat Fortress. (The change in water rippling is probably aesthetic.)

It's an interesting way to illustrate what the game has had to sacrifice to create an economy that prolonged its lifespan by half a decade or more. Of course, they could have spent that effort making a sequHAhaha I can't even finish that.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

A lot of that is just phong changes or animation adjustments, which was probably meant to help improve performance. Losing the ability to force pull weapons, or force push them into unwitting engineers, was definitely the end of an era though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean you can still do that, but instead of looking like a flamethrower or minigun it looks like an ammo box.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

valve could really stand to do some basic work on the casual matchmaking

i'd say about half the time i get put into a game, the match is either already over and the map voting has begun, or it's about 20 seconds until the end of the round

like how hard is it to check if either of these things is true and if so don't put the server up as a candidate for a match

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, hard agree on that one. The worst is when you join a server for whatever decent map you want and it jumps right to the loading screen for junction or dustbowl or something.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Is Mountain Lab even playable anymore? I never see it being an option for "next map". I really like that one. It's been at least a month since I've seen it.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Yeah, I've played on it a few times recently.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm ok with joining a game that is already in progress but the amount of times now I've joined and heard the losing sound or been on the last point at 1-0 is crazy. it starts to get really annoying.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Does anyone know how long dropped weapons stay on the ground for? Also I seem to remember that dropped mediguns slowly lose uber -anyone know the rate?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I get really confused in competitive when pubbies tell me that Scout is a useless class.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It means they need a babysitter in order to not die.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
But they have 6 dispensers by spawn already...?

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

Pillbug
What? I don't think I have ever heard anyone say Scout is useless. Scout is great. I have heard snipers and spies being called useless all the time, though.

Also, yes, mediguns lose uber over time on the ground, not sure the rate though. I checked the wiki quick, the patch notes from 7/7/2016 say "A dropped Mediguns's stored ÜberCharge begins to decay over time after coming to rest", no rate listed there though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm trying to figure out how worthwhile it is to build an uber in spawn on offense and then suiciding, and then building a second uber right before the gates open. You'd be able to uber out twice almost immediately.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Glaive17 posted:

What? I don't think I have ever heard anyone say Scout is useless. Scout is great. I have heard snipers and spies being called useless all the time, though.

Also, yes, mediguns lose uber over time on the ground, not sure the rate though. I checked the wiki quick, the patch notes from 7/7/2016 say "A dropped Mediguns's stored ÜberCharge begins to decay over time after coming to rest", no rate listed there though.

I'm a Scout main, I know they're strong, I'm just making fun of dumb pubbies. A guy got pissy in-game when he complained about 2(!) scouts on his team. He stayed at the bottom of the scoreboard while the two scouts won the game without much help.

As far as Medigun testing goes, why not just host a local server real quick and try it?

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

Pillbug

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm trying to figure out how worthwhile it is to build an uber in spawn on offense and then suiciding, and then building a second uber right before the gates open. You'd be able to uber out twice almost immediately.

Found it under ubercharge, instead of under medigun:

"When a Medi Gun is dropped, either through death or by picking up another one, the ÜberCharge stored within it will begin to drain at a rate of 10% per second until it has reached 0%"

didn't look hard enough last time. Anyway, looks like it takes 10 seconds to lose all charge.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Figured it would be something like that.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

Pillbug

Agoat posted:

I'm a Scout main, I know they're strong, I'm just making fun of dumb pubbies. A guy got pissy in-game when he complained about 2(!) scouts on his team. He stayed at the bottom of the scoreboard while the two scouts won the game without much help.

I was just surprised to hear that someone had said that, I didn't think that you believed it, it's all good. I just haven't heard anyone say that before. I always hear about people complaining that Scouts are too good and are annoying to play against. I hear that about Pyro all the time, too. And Soldier. And Demo.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Glaive17 posted:

Found it under ubercharge, instead of under medigun:

"When a Medi Gun is dropped, either through death or by picking up another one, the ÜberCharge stored within it will begin to drain at a rate of 10% per second until it has reached 0%"

didn't look hard enough last time. Anyway, looks like it takes 10 seconds to lose all charge.

I've heard the argument that the Vita-saw is pointless because you can just run over and pick up your dropped medi-gun to get a much better stored über... but I doubt you can die, respawn, and find your old gun, all in less than 8 seconds.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it was a minute before they added the drain.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Glaive17 posted:

I was just surprised to hear that someone had said that, I didn't think that you believed it, it's all good. I just haven't heard anyone say that before. I always hear about people complaining that Scouts are too good and are annoying to play against. I hear that about Pyro all the time, too. And Soldier. And Demo.

I'm also still climbing through the comp ranks, I just came back to TF2 recently. I remember tearing the guy a new one to the point where he just outright quit when he was on the opposite team the next game. Good times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I haven't played TF2 in weeks (despite all my messing around with settings and maxfps configs it still slows down to 12 fps consistently) but I had a dream that they changed Mantreads so they're as annoying as Market Gardener. I was on Process and some guy rolled out so fast that he stomped me with his boots as soon as I got out onto the battlements, and the boots made that CLONK sound whenever you landed from a rocket jump, not just when you hit someone.

Also I fought a pyro with my shotgun in the stairwell and my team got rolled, thanks for listening to my story of something that didn't happen but plausibly could have.

• Locked thread