Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zeta Taskforce posted:

How is Skeptoid these days? I tried listening to it years ago and the actual content was interesting but ultimately I found Brian Dunning to be too smug. I trust that he is out of jail now?

If you like Skeptoid you really need to listen to Oh No Ross and Carrie. They are probably my favorite podcast at this point. What makes them different from practically everything and everyone else is they don't just report on whatever they are doing, but take part themselves, whether that be joining crazy and/or dangerous religions, weird detox cleanses, or give themselves or John Hodgeman shocks. But they come at everything with an open mind and genuine respect for the people they encounter, and report their observations and experiences with humor and honesty. It comes out once a month, which is pretty good for the amount of work that goes into each episode, but they have about 5 years of material out so even if you binge listened it will keep you busy for good while.

What amazes me about Oh No Ross and Carrie is how so MUCH of pseudo-science, mysticism, and claims of the paranormal turn out to involves sitting in a Holiday Inn conference room listening to some goober drone on and on about his/her pet theory! :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

jng2058 posted:

What amazes me about Oh No Ross and Carrie is how so MUCH of pseudo-science, mysticism, and claims of the paranormal turn out to involves sitting in a Holiday Inn conference room listening to some goober drone on and on about his/her pet theory! :doh:

I just got done listening to Amazing Facts too :D

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked Brian Dunning a lot, because of the way he would tackle myths. He didn't set out to try to figure out what non-supernatural causes something could have, he would try to figure out if anything mysterious actually ever happened. Like in his episode about the Marfa lights, where he pointed out that you don't actually need to come up with an explanation for for the lights before cars existed, because there is no evidence of the lights existing before cars. There's a lot of people saying "oh my granddad said he saw those lights all the time" but he couldn't find a single record predating the opening of the road mentioning the lights.

On the other hand, holy poo poo avoid any episode he did on the environment or nutrition. That dude hates plants

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Fun time to start listing to Oh No Ross and Carrie, because they're kicking over to once a week, at least for now.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Fun time to start listing to Oh No Ross and Carrie, because they're kicking over to once a week, at least for now.

Also on a big Ufology series right now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Myths and Legends just doesn't work for me. I appreciate the concept but the host's attempts at humor really don't land. Every time he adds some winking dialogue or a modern reference or some ironic interpretation I cringe. I get that he's trying to make it less dry than it would be otherwise, but I don't need it to be so "wacky". It's a shame because I love the subject matter and general format otherwise. It just feels like an excited high schooler trying to spice up the stories he read for class.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Myths and Legends just doesn't work for me. I appreciate the concept but the host's attempts at humor really don't land. Every time he adds some winking dialogue or a modern reference or some ironic interpretation I cringe. I get that he's trying to make it less dry than it would be otherwise, but I don't need it to be so "wacky". It's a shame because I love the subject matter and general format otherwise. It just feels like an excited high schooler trying to spice up the stories he read for class.

You should just quit then, he's become more obnoxious lately, twisting the legends so much that I'm not really sure why he's telling them in the first place. He managed to completely miss the point of the story of Sinbad the sailor.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I've been jumping around, but the Sinbad ones were the final straw for me.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I've been jumping around, but the Sinbad ones were the final straw for me.

Yeah, I started listening to Myths and legend because it's something I find fascinating and I was looking for someone who would put those stories in a socio-cultural context, which he sometimes does, like with some of the Vikings sagas he told, but very often he completely ignores it.

Also I kind of enjoy Brian Dunning, he's a smug prick but his podcast is only 12 minutes per week, so whatever. There's always skeptics guide to the universe if you want longer content in the same vein, but those guys can get a little absorbed talking about irrelevant nerd poo poo sometimes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah Brian Dunning is at least more tolerable than the sword and scale guy who's making this successful media empire off of rambling about serial killers and MONSTERS (all while feigning that gosh he's not trying to be exploitative or nothin') to true crime guzzling white trash

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Punkin Spunkin posted:

why does the Our Fake History guy compare Rasputin to Homer Simpson when it comes to the Aspirin Theory? I feel like that doesn't give him enough credit, if he's at least recognized that the boy would be better off without the doctor's interference.

p.s. I've been digging and listening to a lot of Our Fake History

I hate the way the Our Fake History dude talks. Hes got the next generation equivalent of Radio Voice. Hes got Youtube Voice

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah Brian Dunning is at least more tolerable than the sword and scale guy who's making this successful media empire off of rambling about serial killers and MONSTERS (all while feigning that gosh he's not trying to be exploitative or nothin') to true crime guzzling white trash

Talking about the microwaved baby and playing 90 seconds of microwave noises to put you in the mood was my favorite part of Sword and Scale

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really liked Martyrmade at the beginning but the dude did a loving speed run of the Dan Carlin method of starting out making an informative, interesting historical podcast and then eventually padding out every episode to double length just by punctuating every sentence with a long pause and "imagine what it would be like to live through that"

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So speaking of true crime stuff. What is everyone's opinion on the Casefiles guy?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Meme Emulator posted:

I hate the way the Our Fake History dude talks. Hes got the next generation equivalent of Radio Voice. Hes got Youtube Voice

I don't know man, he just sounds like half the history teachers I ever had, which makes sense since he's like a high school history teacher as his actual job.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just started to listen to The Dollop and I think I love this podcast. My first episode was the one about Uber, after that I listened to the amazing episode about cars and I just finished the fantastic new episode about newsies.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I used the love love love The Dollop but for some reason I've been like 30 eps behind for a while
I think I just have an aversion to standup comedians. They feel the need to constantly attempt these really awkward and forced goofs sometimes, just constantly attempting shots that don't always go in. I guess that's just the standup mentality. The stories and reactions are fun and great but they're constantly trying these pretty...basic...standup joke attempts & extended riffs. I'd prefer it more if they maybe tried a less forced more conversational humor style ala UYD, they are friends after all, I hate to use the term but their humor seems pretty...tryhard and conventional, which makes sense considering it's their profession I guess

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 24, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I skip the live Dollop eps because they do seem to riff a bit too hard, but they can be extremely funny.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Dollop is great in small doses but you burn out fast. The guys are just too much.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

anyone just picking it up, i'd definitely recommend just picking and choosing whatever looks interesting rather then trying to go through the whole backlog for sure

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

feedmyleg posted:

Dollop is great in small doses but you burn out fast. The guys are just too much.

Stopped checking them out when it was one live show after the other. Don't like 'em.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Terrible Opinions posted:

So speaking of true crime stuff. What is everyone's opinion on the Casefiles guy?

I like it. Everything is said very "matter-of-factly"; the information is always presented very clearly and concisely, and the announcer himself is very articulate, and measured in how he speaks about the crime.

I like the clarity of it; there's no ego about it, no bizarre theories, and no attempts at jokes. For me it's exactly how I'd like to hear crime-related podcasts.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's the general vibe I got. He only really has two pet issues and neither of them really both me, those being not liking lenient sentences for violent crime and hating when people don't believe women who report violent crimes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I started off with the Mary+Beth Stauffer casefile and it was pretty good. Holy poo poo he got me with that sudden scream/attack. I really wish I could find the transcript of Jason Wilkman's mother's statement he quotes, it's just this eerily beautiful/tragic/poetic statement.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
If you're into true crime taken seriously, Casefiles is very well researched without being salacious. The insistence on humanizing the dead and going out of the way to describe their personal relationships in life, and the use of the term "survivors" instead of "victims" are small but consistent details, but it's a good indicator of where Casefile's priorities lie. You may also like Generation Why and True Crime Garage, which all follow the same format. For Generation Why, try "The Death of Robert Wone" for a little-known, yet totally baffling mystery. For True Crime Garage, I liked the series about "The Boys on the Tracks," which starts out eerie and gets unbelievably bigger and crazier.

For single-case miniseries, I'd also recommend "In the Dark," about the Jacob Wetterling kidnapping -- the investigation team goes above and beyond merely reporting the case. Madeleine Baran cooly, professionally holds authority figures' feet to the fire, and her conclusions about accountability and systemic failure made me queasy.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 1, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Just started Crimetown amd it's pretty great. Wamt to hear how Providence, RI was hilariously corrupt through interviews with the mobbed up goombas who made it that way?

The answer is "yes," but maybe you just don't know it yet. Just be prepared to hear a lot of "this fuckin' guy" said by real people with cartoony accents.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

:siren:A new episode of Inward Empire has been released:siren:. This is not a drill please proceed to your podcast listening device and commence downloading.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Gaius Marius posted:

:siren:A new episode of Inward Empire has been released:siren:. This is not a drill please proceed to your podcast listening device and commence downloading.

And another great one... Almost Dollopesque as the layers of folklore get slowly peeled back to reveal the core.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like the dollop but if you handed me one of their scripts I'd call it mediocre; it's the delivery and the comedy that makes it.

Like stuff you should know is dollop sans comedy or charisma and I poo poo canned that thing almost a year ago.

I'm making it a bigger deal than I need to but I disagree with the idea that Inward Empire aspires to being as good as the dollop; I like empire better but really they're both different.

Edit: I didn't really mean this to be a direct rebuttal of the previous post, because The Dollop certainly has a certain theming in its episodes and I could see how a specific episode of another podcast could resemble it.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 14, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I like the dollop but if you handed me one of their scripts I'd call it mediocre; it's the delivery and the comedy that makes it.

Like stuff you should know is dollop sans comedy or charisma and I poo poo canned that thing almost a year ago.

I'm making it a bigger deal than I need to but I disagree with the idea that Inward Empire aspires to being as good as the dollop; I like empire better but really they're both different.

Edit: I didn't really mean this to be a direct rebuttal of the previous post, because The Dollop certainly has a certain theming in its episodes and I could see how a specific episode of another podcast could resemble it.

i don't think the allusion had anything to do with commenting on comedy or charisma, just pointing out a similarity in how the episode was structured???

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes, you're right and they're right, I misread it.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Jack B Nimble posted:

They tend to make the same drat jokes and characters over and over and over and over again. It's generally good, but can definitely be repetitive, especially if you marathon it.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Thaddius the Large posted:

They tend to make the same drat jokes and characters over and over and over and over again. It's generally good, but can definitely be repetitive, especially if you marathon it.

Yeah, it's better to enjoy it in, uh, small dollops. :rimshot:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

thankfully there's absolutely no reason why you can't just pick and choose from the episodes that look interesting. it's not like a history of x podcast where you feel obliged to start at the beginning

Does anyone have suggestions for podcasts about Chinese, or Indian history? Or other asian countries/culture more generally? History of China does not seem to be improving in quality as I skim through the backlog. I also found a podcast creatively called History of India which opened with episode talking about how the podcaster first decided to learn Indian history because they thought it be really easy, which... does not inspire confidence.
Though really I'd be interested in anything outside the rome-england bubble. The History of Egypt podcast has been pretty good.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

AriadneThread posted:

thankfully there's absolutely no reason why you can't just pick and choose from the episodes that look interesting. it's not like a history of x podcast where you feel obliged to start at the beginning

Does anyone have suggestions for podcasts about Chinese, or Indian history? Or other asian countries/culture more generally? History of China does not seem to be improving in quality as I skim through the backlog. I also found a podcast creatively called History of India which opened with episode talking about how the podcaster first decided to learn Indian history because they thought it be really easy, which... does not inspire confidence.
Though really I'd be interested in anything outside the rome-england bubble. The History of Egypt podcast has been pretty good.

There's a Japan podcast called the Samarui Archives that's run by a group of history PhD candidates at the University of Hawaii. I'm not a regular listener, but they ran a segment on a general Japanese history overview from prehistory to the middle ages. It was pretty good

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I've started looking for podcasts on marketing a week ago, if anyone knows good ones, please post em.

I found a couple that seem to be good, aka have interesting guests or topics from time to time. Still in the process of filtering them out.

PNR With This Old Marketing Podcast
http://contentmarketinginstitute.com/pnr-with-this-old-marketing-podcast/
This one I like, it's just banter about what's going on in the marketing world. I don't really agree sometimes with their conclusions & ideas, especially the segment on AI seemed a bit underinformed. Still interesting for trend watching.

Getting Goosebumps Podcast - The Power of Storytelling
https://www.ph-creative.com/goosebumps/
Just listened to one episode, topic sounded cheesy and the guest turned out to be a TED talker. Was ok, will keep a watch on it. Host seemed nice.

Marketing Smarts Podcasts
https://www.marketingprofs.com/marketing/library/podcasts/
This is good, I think. Interviews with marketing people, not as much cheesy life advice/self-help philosophy as you find in other marketing podcasts.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

History of India is run by a Cambridge professor, he was being sarcastic. It's great.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:siren: https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/886722467011731460 :siren:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

AriadneThread posted:

https://historyofjapan.wordpress.com/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The China History Podcast at http://teacup.media/the-china-history-podcast/ might be what you're looking for for China, but it also makes no concessions at all to a chronological order throughout the podcast, and picks up random sections of Chinese history and culture, especially as regards relations between China and other cultures/countries, from all over thousands of years of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh wow thanks. There was one I listened to a while back that died after 25 episodes or so, this is great.

E: Jeez eight episodes from prehistory to Tokugawa? That's a shame, I've been reading all early Japan stuff lately since most everything before 1600 gets ignored.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 17, 2017