Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Catberry posted:

I'll take your word for it. I never got further than the rail shooter.

Every class in TOR gets a token utter goody two-shoes companion and a token complete rear end in a top hat companion. The Consular gets a twi'lek terrorist for the latter. He's a resistance fighter foisted off on you by the resistance's leadership because they're legit afraid he's going to turn around and start killing them for not being extreme enough now that the Empire's been driven off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Sith Twilek in KotOR was pretty good from memory.

Kotor was mass effect without voice acting right?

Cythereal posted:

Every class in TOR gets a token utter goody two-shoes companion and a token complete rear end in a top hat companion. The Consular gets a twi'lek terrorist for the latter. He's a resistance fighter foisted off on you by the resistance's leadership because they're legit afraid he's going to turn around and start killing them for not being extreme enough now that the Empire's been driven off.

I played bounty hunter which was awesome. The heat mechanic combined with offensive healer was very new and intuitive. My companion was a very useful but utterly bland human. She used range attacks and healed some I think. She was classed as a cyborg because she had some schmutz on her forehead.

I also tried the Sith melee type which had the twi'lek slave companion which was a more interesting character arguably but a worse companion because all melee companions were hot garbage and just died a lot (the tanks even more so).

Still I could never get by the fact that no matter how much affection raised with her and took of her collar. She was still a slave because you only free her under the condition that she serve you unconditionally for the rest of her life anyway.

Sadly the Sith melee class was just a flat copy paste of the WoW Warrior. To the point where it even had tank abilities like "sundering slash" that lowered the targets armor and stacked to 5. Even worse was that since the game copied WoW from when developed started. By the time old republic was released WoW was in Cataclysm and the classes better balanced than ever while the kotor classes were copied from late burning crusade.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 7, 2017

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Catberry posted:

It's more like Jade Empire with lightsabers.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Chairman Capone posted:

It's more like Jade Empire with lightsabers.

I never played that. I would probably have loved kotor back when it came out but the first time I ever played it was after ME because it was made by bioware that had made mass effect (and shattered steel) but at that point kotor was a bit old for me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mass Effect is definitely a turning point for BioWare. Going back to KOTOR afterwards, with no player dialogue and a bit clunkier interface, definitely makes it clear. But it's still enjoyable, and I think without a doubt BioWare would never have done Mass Effect (both in terms of plot/setting and the engine/interface) without having done KOTOR first and then building off of it without the LucasArts/Star Wars setting constraints.

Jade Empire is a really fun game, and it even has a fun minigame aspect too which you don't see often, but I do feel like it gets overlooked. Looking it up now, I guess it was originally an X-box exclusive and only got released on PC right before Mass Effect came out, so I suppose that's why it's kind of overlooked.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Well, Mass Effect was the last game Bioware developed before being bought by EA....which explains a lot of what happened to Bioware after Mass Effect.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Catberry posted:

Kotor had voice acting, so...no?

I think the main character had no voice actor, but everyone around you did.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Well, Mass Effect was the last game Bioware developed before being bought by EA....which explains a lot of what happened to Bioware after Mass Effect.

It was after Mass Effect 2 that BioWare started splitting off into different branches too, right? I mean, I know they did it before, but I feel like it was around that time that they really specialized - one studio did Star Wars, one did Mass Effect, one did Dragon Age, one did DLC, stuff like that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Catberry posted:

I played bounty hunter which was awesome. The heat mechanic combined with offensive healer was very new and intuitive. My companion was a very useful but utterly bland human. She used range attacks and healed some I think. She was classed as a cyborg because she had some schmutz on her forehead.

Mako's cybernetic enhancements go a long way beyond that, and are involved in her backstory and companion story arc. She was primarily a healer companion, and mainly designed to fit in as your sidekick - she's the brains to your brawn and provides most of the intel and tech support in the bounty hunter's story.

Later, bounty hunters get a jawa companion. With a rocket launcher.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

Rino Romano did the combat barks for the PC in KOTOR 1.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Cythereal posted:

Mako's cybernetic enhancements go a long way beyond that, and are involved in her backstory and companion story arc. She was primarily a healer companion, and mainly designed to fit in as your sidekick - she's the brains to your brawn and provides most of the intel and tech support in the bounty hunter's story.

Later, bounty hunters get a jawa companion. With a rocket launcher.

Tell me the recoil was like the noisy cricket's and I might finally buy into this game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tribbledirigible posted:

Tell me the recoil was like the noisy cricket's and I might finally buy into this game.

Sadly no. Blizz was a tanking companion, so the rocket launcher was his area-effect taunt. He also had a grappling hook to zipline himself into enemies as his charge.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

KOTOR was the first RPG I played that wasn't Pokemon, I think. I'll probably love it forever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Sith Twilek in KotOR was pretty good from memory.

Yuthura Ban? I liked her, but I'm pretty sure even her backstory had "Hutt slave" in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yuthura Ban? I liked her, but I'm pretty sure even her backstory had "Hutt slave" in it.

Yep. Initially you'd even go to her homeworld of Sleheyron before it was cut from the game.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

thrawn527 posted:

For everything? I seem to recall a lot of unvoiced dialogue trees.

I also remember going about my business and then a companion started looking all sad and the game dropped emotes like "person looks like he wants to talk about something" and it reminded me that this was indeed a bioware game because now I have to pep talk loving NPCs :cry:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Just tell Carth to grow some balls you wuss.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Catberry posted:

For everything? I seem to recall a lot of unvoiced dialogue trees.
[/quote[
I'm pretty sure the only person not talking in those trees was you.

[quote="Catberry" post="474137055"]I also remember going about my business and then a companion started looking all sad and the game dropped emotes like "person looks like he wants to talk about something" and it reminded me that this was indeed a bioware game because now I have to pep talk loving NPCs :cry:

Oh that absolutely happened. A lot.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There are some instances of *Unintelligible alien words with subtitles

Those all start to sound the same once you've heard them all halfway through Taris

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just tell Carth to grow some balls you wuss.

I don't remember who it was. Could have been some guy with a goatee or a blond guy with short hair. I'm fairly certain I picked a smuggler class or some sort of space-thief class anyway and I rescued a Jedi and she was all "You are force sensitive" and I was like "Nu uh keep your The One stuff out of my face. I just want to get out.

One day I'll have to go back and finish kotor 1 and 2.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It certainly is worth the pep talk in the 2nd one if you want to convert all non droids to Jedi/Dark Jedi.

Also, you somehow managed to mash Atton and Carth together and that is quite frankly disturbing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Casimir Radon posted:

Those all start to sound the same once you've heard them all halfway through Taris

Mooka shaka paka
Oondoree who doonga... wanna koom bess ching para mooley ra.
Kee poon a! Bondana kitchu!

The only subtitled alien in the game with a unique dialect is ajuur the Hutt, because he can actually say his own name or bendak starkiller in addition to his standard Hutt speech.

The strangest one is in the second game where despite talking in wookiee growls, Hanharr's dialogue has accent inflections written into the subtitles.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 7, 2017

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Casimir Radon posted:

Jedipadawananina

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The chancellor of the Galactic Republic in TOR is a twi'lek woman. She is of course a former slave.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mooka shaka paka
Oondoree who doonga... wanna koom bess ching para mooley ra.
Kee poon a! Bondana kitchu!

The only subtitled alien in the game with a unique dialect is ajuur the Hutt, because he can actually say his own name or bendak starkiller in addition to his standard Hutt speech.

The strangest one is in the second game where despite talking in wookiee growls, Hanharr's dialogue has accent inflections written into the subtitles.

I finally got around to playing kotor about a year ago and the selkath talking drove me up the loving wall. Hate those sad fish people.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Catberry posted:

I also tried the Sith melee type which had the twi'lek slave companion which was a more interesting character arguably but a worse companion because all melee companions were hot garbage and just died a lot (the tanks even more so).

Still I could never get by the fact that no matter how much affection raised with her and took of her collar. She was still a slave because you only free her under the condition that she serve you unconditionally for the rest of her life anyway.

Sadly the Sith melee class was just a flat copy paste of the WoW Warrior. To the point where it even had tank abilities like "sundering slash" that lowered the targets armor and stacked to 5. Even worse was that since the game copied WoW from when developed started. By the time old republic was released WoW was in Cataclysm and the classes better balanced than ever while the kotor classes were copied from late burning crusade.

You don't have to be creepy with Vette. In like her first companion convo she asks you to take off her collar, and you can tell her of course, no problem. She later asks what's the deal between you two, and you can tell her that she's your slave, your minion, or your partner. If you pick partner, she's basically your snarky murder buddy and has a grand time.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Preechr posted:

You don't have to be creepy with Vette. In like her first companion convo she asks you to take off her collar, and you can tell her of course, no problem. She later asks what's the deal between you two, and you can tell her that she's your slave, your minion, or your partner. If you pick partner, she's basically your snarky murder buddy and has a grand time.

Yeah but the point is that taking off her collar makes no practical difference to her situation. I'd like to see how many players would take off her collar if it meant that she hopped on a shuttle and left forever. Leaving them with the remaining companion choices (assuming the cash shop doesn't sell twi'lek slave companions already)

Taking off her collar is just free rep with her because she's still on a leash.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A Bioware game with fake free choices? What a surprise.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Catberry posted:

Yeah but the point is that taking off her collar makes no practical difference to her situation. I'd like to see how many players would take off her collar if it meant that she hopped on a shuttle and left forever. Leaving them with the remaining companion choices (assuming the cash shop doesn't sell twi'lek slave companions already)

Taking off her collar is just free rep with her because she's still on a leash.

No, the cash shop companions are HK-51 (because KOTOR fans still can't get enough of HK-47) and a psychotic ewok bounty hunter.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Cythereal posted:

No, the cash shop companions are HK-51 (because KOTOR fans still can't get enough of HK-47) and a psychotic ewok bounty hunter.

I quit before the cash shop was a thing. I didn't even know it had companions :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Catberry posted:

I quit before the cash shop was a thing. I didn't even know it had companions :v:

It only has those two. Mostly it has stuff like new hair styles, new emotes, and new cosmetic gear.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Cythereal posted:

It only has those two. Mostly it has stuff like new hair styles, new emotes, and new cosmetic gear.

And the button to hide your helmet?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Catberry posted:

And the button to hide your helmet?

That's free for subscribers. :v:

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Cythereal posted:

That's free for subscribers. :v:

Well of course. Wouldn't want an OP feature like that to get into just anyone's hands.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Wait, you no longer have to do a time-consuming, planet-hopping fetch quest in order to pick up HK-51? When did this happen?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cross-Section posted:

Wait, you no longer have to do a time-consuming, planet-hopping fetch quest in order to pick up HK-51? When did this happen?

Oh, you still have to do that. But once you've acquired him once you can pay the cash shop to bypass doing that again on alts.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Cythereal posted:

Oh, you still have to do that. But once you've acquired him once you can pay the cash shop to bypass doing that again on alts.

You can pay in-game cash too, but it's an amount higher than the F2P player's credit cap...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

What the gently caress happened to my avatar? I wonder what thread caused...that.

Though...I like it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 10, 2017

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
8 years out of date tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

8 years out of date tho

Eh, it's what the old one read because I'm lazy/cheap.