Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
...What? That doesn't even make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Furious Lobster posted:

Whataburger is the coward burger chain - no presence in CA recently despite having twice the total amount of stores In-n-Out has, in Texas alone. This is probably because Whataburger tried to have a presence in CA before but shut down their locations down due to having terrible burgers.

Judging by how crap In andOut was I'd instead suggest that people there have poor taste.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They're all poo poo.
Hope this helps.

gently caress I hate fast food burger chat.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 9, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Whataburger def better than 5 guys. Srynotsry

It's all fast food though. Getting hyped about fast food is kind of silly imo

As far as fast food burgers goes, shake shack wins, followed by smash, then in n out, whataburg, five guys

We've been disagreeing on an awful lot lately...
I like 5 Guys WAY better then In N Out!

Best burger is Fatburger. You can get it grilled OR fried. Do they still have those in CA? I think there was like 15 of them, tops when I lived there.

I thought Whatburger was way over hyped. Decent but pricey.

I agree though, Smash is near the top, I like their burger a lot. I haven't had Shake Shack yet.

Croatoan posted:

Whataburger > 5 Guys > Cookout > Wendys

In 'n Out is a west coast myth that probably sucks.

Of all of true fast food places, Wendy's has the best burger by far.

In N Out doesn't quite suck, but they do a lot of things really wrong. Like, they are proud of that lovely WonderBread bun they serve! It's basically a really fresh version of a McDonalds burger.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The best burger is one grilled at home on delicious propane

I tell you hwat

e: oh wait I have actual content!

I just got my brother's wedding catered. 15 of the 60 people had some kind of dietary need - vegetarian, vegan, no dairy, gf, all kinds. We're 45 minutes out of town, and food arrives just in time!

The vegetarian fettuccine accidentally has chicken. Whatevs no big deal, lots of vegan options. Still, she offered to get someone to bring a replacement free of charge.

45 minutes later, it shows up... with like 5% of a normal amount of chicken. I guess they took a chicken batch and helpfully picked most of it out?

I didn't even notice until, 5 minutes after it arrived, I announced "oh hey guys the vegetarian fettuccine is here! :haw:

Someone in the crowd: "uhh if you're very strict vegetarian, you should know..." Whoops!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 9, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nobody wants to confess that they love Rally's/Checkers?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will. Their fries are amazing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Nobody wants to confess that they love Rally's/Checkers?

I think the only thing worse than checkers is bk

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Checkers burgers are meh but their fries are loving amazing.

My only bitch about 5 Guys is that it's way overpriced. I mean, it's a good burger and all but it's expensive. Cookout is a super fast growing chain that you might recognize if you live in the south and their burgers are almost 5 Guys tier but they're like half the price. Also you can get a Cheerwine float and that rules.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

Best burger is Fatburger.

They used to have one near me. It was good. I remember it being pretty pricey though. I like the fine shredded lettuce they do though.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I have never been to In-N-Out, but when visiting a friend in Seattle he brought me to Dick's Drive-In, saying they were as good as In-N-Out. I have to admit I wasn't impressed, but maybe it was because I was expecting something else entirely? When he described them as "awesome burgers" I was thinking more of a burger with the works. I guess I could give them a go again someday knowing what I'm in for.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Also you can get a Cheerwine float and that rules.

That's cherry-flavored, right?
Last time I was at 5 Guys, I tried a shake for the first time. I got cherry, and it tasted like loving cough syrup. Yech.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

The best burger is one grilled at home on delicious propane

I tell you hwat

e: oh wait I have actual content!

I just got my brother's wedding catered. 15 of the 60 people had some kind of dietary need - vegetarian, vegan, no dairy, gf, all kinds. We're 45 minutes out of town, and food arrives just in time!

The vegetarian fettuccine accidentally has chicken. Whatevs no big deal, lots of vegan options. Still, she offered to get someone to bring a replacement free of charge.

45 minutes later, it shows up... with like 5% of a normal amount of chicken. I guess they took a chicken batch and helpfully picked most of it out?

I didn't even notice until, 5 minutes after it arrived, I announced "oh hey guys the vegetarian fettuccine is here! :haw:

Someone in the crowd: "uhh if you're very strict vegetarian, you should know..." Whoops!

Oy.

That sounds like a good time. Are you going after the food service provider, or did they not know, or...?

In this vein, how did the guests respond? I ask because while I am not vegan or requiring any special diet, I do very much come from the 'eat what is served to you, or shut the gently caress up' school.
I guess what I'm getting at is, were I vegetarian and a guest at someone else's function and served something, I'd simply set aside the meat (or other parts that I object to) and move on, even if it were a mistake. Were I not able to partake, I simply would not. If I had been told 'yes we will provide this for you' and they didn't, that'd be something else.

I am not projecting this on the people at your event, but it seems like when you attend some one else's catered dinner where the choices are "Beef, fish, Veg", and you cross them all off and write in "I have special dietary needs and would like a specially selected..." then you can kinda gently caress right off with that mindset, and that seems fairly common now, and I dunno if I'm the pissy old grandpa or what.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

TheQuietWilds posted:

People are fuckin strange. I was standing in line at a CVS buying toiletries and two people behind me asked for a food recommendation, and then proceeded to ignore my recommendation to go two streets north into Philly's Chinatown favor of walking twice as far and paying twice as much for a lovely Mexican-for-white-people place nearby. I asked what they were doing in town: they had flown to Philadelphia from Chicago to visit QVC. The shopping channel. They wanted to visit the studio for a channel that sells stupid poo poo and see where the magic was made. Can't make that kind of stuff up.

kill whitey

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Best burger is butter smash.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Big Beef City posted:

Oy.

That sounds like a good time. Are you going after the food service provider, or did they not know, or...?

In this vein, how did the guests respond? I ask because while I am not vegan or requiring any special diet, I do very much come from the 'eat what is served to you, or shut the gently caress up' school.
I guess what I'm getting at is, were I vegetarian and a guest at someone else's function and served something, I'd simply set aside the meat (or other parts that I object to) and move on, even if it were a mistake. Were I not able to partake, I simply would not. If I had been told 'yes we will provide this for you' and they didn't, that'd be something else.

I am not projecting this on the people at your event, but it seems like when you attend some one else's catered dinner where the choices are "Beef, fish, Veg", and you cross them all off and write in "I have special dietary needs and would like a specially selected..." then you can kinda gently caress right off with that mindset, and that seems fairly common now, and I dunno if I'm the pissy old grandpa or what.

I mean my brother is a hippy dippy Oaklander and so were most of the guests, so the invite was clear that you could order whatever special snowflake thing you wanted and we'd figure it out.

We are fine with the caterer. No ill will, no negative yelp review, they were great. Just some people don't understand what vegetarian really means to some folks :shrug:

The guests were also chill about it. It was a buffet service, so nobody turned noses up at waiters or anything. The only person who mentioned it was the duder who noticed the little bits of chicken. I saw said duder still eating it, so I think he was just warning others who might have more strict diets/convictions.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

rgocs posted:

I have never been to In-N-Out, but when visiting a friend in Seattle he brought me to Dick's Drive-In, saying they were as good as In-N-Out. I have to admit I wasn't impressed, but maybe it was because I was expecting something else entirely? When he described them as "awesome burgers" I was thinking more of a burger with the works. I guess I could give them a go again someday knowing what I'm in for.

I agree that Dick's is about as good as In-N-Out. Neither of them are somewhere you would go for a loaded burger that costs $10 and is a meal by itself, they're just very good cheap fast food burgers. Also keep in mind that nostalgia plays a large part here - if you grew up in Seattle, you'll think Dick's is the best burger, and if you grew up in California, you'll be an In-N-Out fan for life. Or at least it's more likely.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 9, 2017

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

e: lol ok

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Made 3 successful pizzas (sauce and dough) from scratch, and a 4th one to purposefully land on the floor. :smug:

Feeling pretty good about myself right now

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Shake shack is best

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Mickdondels hangburger

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

TheQuietWilds posted:

People are fuckin strange. I was standing in line at a CVS buying toiletries and two people behind me asked for a food recommendation, and then proceeded to ignore my recommendation to go two streets north into Philly's Chinatown favor of walking twice as far and paying twice as much for a lovely Mexican-for-white-people place nearby. I asked what they were doing in town: they had flown to Philadelphia from Chicago to visit QVC. The shopping channel. They wanted to visit the studio for a channel that sells stupid poo poo and see where the magic was made. Can't make that kind of stuff up.

lol based on the location and description i'm guessing they went to El Vez? Death to Stephen Starr

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
People who hype up any of the burger chains just don't know what a good burger tastes like. When they put a five guys in my town everyone was like 'you gotta try it its so good' and it was a soggy nasty piece of poo poo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

I mean my brother is a hippy dippy Oaklander and so were most of the guests, so the invite was clear that you could order whatever special snowflake thing you wanted and we'd figure it out.

We are fine with the caterer. No ill will, no negative yelp review, they were great. Just some people don't understand what vegetarian really means to some folks :shrug:

The guests were also chill about it. It was a buffet service, so nobody turned noses up at waiters or anything. The only person who mentioned it was the duder who noticed the little bits of chicken. I saw said duder still eating it, so I think he was just warning others who might have more strict diets/convictions.

You're being way too easy on them. It's inexcusable for a professional caterer to not know how to make vegetarian food.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

People who hype up any of the burger chains just don't know what a good burger tastes like. When they put a five guys in my town everyone was like 'you gotta try it its so good' and it was a soggy nasty piece of poo poo

Well yeah it was five guys.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The best commercial burgers are mcdoubles. They're cheap they taste the same at every store and they're not awful.

Ok they are awful but not for the price. Grilled homemade burgers are clearly the best

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Just heard a thing where ground beef is basically one of 38 clones of Holstein spent cow. How is it possible for any animal to be that inbred.

I think the same source was saying that all cavendish bananas are genetically identical, which is ridiculous. Why would they do that. It'd take all of one disease to hit that they're susceptible to and you don't get bananas.

Also it sucks when you go to sleep early because you're tired and then wake up at midnight. RIP, me.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

dino. posted:

I think the same source was saying that all cavendish bananas are genetically identical, which is ridiculous. Why would they do that. It'd take all of one disease to hit that they're susceptible to and you don't get bananas.

Umm...I have news.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

dino. posted:

There's a reason the gros michel isn't in every store.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have no idea about the cows, but yes, cavendish bananas are all genetically identical.

The old favorite banana variety, Gros Michel, was wiped out of the Americas by a blight, and is a good argument now for why genetic diversity is good, because if one banana plant is vulnerable to a disease, they're all vulnerable.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Here is a fascinating article about bananas, blight, Gros Michel etc from the New Yorker. I read it 6 years ago but still remember it
http://archive.is/PcQEG

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aren’t Hass avocados the same way? I seem to remember reading that a while back.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

dino. posted:

Just heard a thing where ground beef is basically one of 38 clones of Holstein spent cow. How is it possible for any animal to be that inbred.

Also it sucks when you go to sleep early because you're tired and then wake up at midnight. RIP, me.

Fun story in that vein regarding the Irish Lumper potato.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Vice did an interesting piece on the threat to the Cavendish banana. It's kind of scary.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cavendish bananas are pretty boring, tbh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Aren’t Hass avocados the same way? I seem to remember reading that a while back.

From Wikumpedia: All commercial, fruit-bearing Hass avocado trees have been grown from grafted seedlings propagated from a single tree which was grown from a seed bought by Rudolph Hass in 1926 from A. R. Rideout of Whittier, California

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Bob Morales posted:

a seed bought by Rudolph Hass in 1926 from A. R. Rideout of Whittier, California

Rudolph Hass bought that seed in exchange for the family's only dairy cow

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
The more you know, apparently. Yipes.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

maybe if avocados went extinct I could finally buy a house :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

vermin posted:

Rudolph Hass bought that seed in exchange for the family's only dairy cow

I heard he dug through trash behind restaurants when he was on his mail route.