Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cygni posted:

IIRC the x99 platform was kind of a mess early on too, wasnt it? I would probably hold off on getting anything for few months honestly.

It looks like Intel has another launch coming afterall, too. This apparently was from a Intel presentation to asian resellers on May 23rd:

The rumor is that the August launch will be 3 SKUs and 1 chipset (Z370). Chips are rumored to be a 6C/12T and 6C/6T at 95W, and a 4C/4T 65W i3, all unlocked.

Looks like I'm keeping Sandy Bridge until '18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
:intel:

eames
May 9, 2009

What's the next big architectural change for desktop CPUs? is Tiger Lake going to be a complete redesign?

The current SL-X situation reminds me of the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition but there's no successor in sight.

edit:

I hope 6C Coffee Lake does better than that in :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKX9Bcxnd7U

eames fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 12, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Will Intel release X299 BIOS updates like AMD for free :pcgaming: performance gainzz????

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Will Intel release X299 BIOS updates like AMD for free :pcgaming: performance gainzz????

Nope, they'll charge 89 bucks a flash for 'em.

It's almost like Intel forgot people have only been buying their products for the past 6 < x < 30 years under duress.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Tomshardware review notes that the Xeon Platinum 8176 has a 1.3 GHz base clock when running AVX-512 instructions. Yikes.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
It'll be released as a physical key. You'll need a separate one to unlock the RAID capabilities.

You cannot install both keys at once.

WHAT'S YOUR MOVE NOW, AMD!? Don't tell me you're staying with the less-secure "internet update" that you use on your desktop chipsets. Real servers use physical keys for a 150% increase in security.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

So what exactly is the difference between a server and desktop product these days anyway?

About $1000 per unit.

:rimshot:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

eames posted:

Given the choice between 4 glued-together Desktop Dies and glue between the Die and the Heatspreader, I'd choose the former.

https://www.techpowerup.com/235092/intel-says-amd-epyc-processors-glued-together-in-official-slide-deck

Did Intel just call Epyc processors "glued together"

Oh my goodness how is this an official Intel slide?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

this is a pathetic slide coming from a company with a market cap of $162 billion

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hmm yes this is the best they could do? Lol.

eames
May 9, 2009

http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_system.php?q=cea598ab9fa79fab9cbadde0cdfcdaa895a482ebd6e6c0a895a583fbc6f6d0b5d0edddfb88b58d&l=en

new leaked Coffee Lake / Z370 benchmark, this one's a 6C/12T engineering sample at 3.2 base 3.6 Turbo. I wonder how these will overclock compared to a 7700K.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rabid Snake posted:

Did Intel just call Epyc processors "glued together"

Oh my goodness how is this an official Intel slide?

If it's official, it's loving sad. It looks like something a fanboy would make.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HalloKitty posted:

If it's official, it's loving sad. It looks like something a fanboy would make.

It is sad. It's the kind of thing that goes viral on FB comments with Intel fanboys. Intel CEO: "IF THAT DOESN'T WORK, MAKE ANOTHER WITH LOL AT THE END OF THE SLIDE!!!"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 13, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Monolithic cores are better than split designs, just look at the C2Q and Phenom!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Intel is one step away from calling all the review sites "fake news".

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Desktop dies, unlike the superb dual channel in a quad channel board chips.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It is sad. It's the kind of thing that goes viral on FB comments with Intel fanboys. Intel CEO: "IF THAT DOESN'T WORK, MAKE ANOTHER WITH LOL AT THE END OF THE SLIDE!!!"

there are intel fanboys?

that's like an at&t fanboy

a walmart fanboy

i dont get it

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Some people really need to self-justify their expenditures, regardless of how ridiculous.

And we all know that the best way to self-justify anything is to do it with others in an echo chamber.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

there are intel fanboys?

a walmart fanboy

i dont get it

You should look at the sports world.

Also anyone who is a "fan" of a computer chip company is a loving moron.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The best thing that's happened from Skylake-X is it's pushed the used prices of Broadwell-E way down. I was thinking I'd end up going Skylake-X for a 8 core processor but I happened to look at the used market for Broadwell-E and the 8 core models are already down to the 700 range and for anyone looking at 10 cores they're already down to the 1,100 range. In about a year when I think I might be doing stuff that can use 8 cores maybe I'll be able to get a 8 core Broadwell-E for 500 if Intel hasn't released a refresh for Skylake-X to make it significantly faster I think that's what I'll end up doing, I already have the X99 motherboard for it so that's another 200 or so dollars less than getting a Skylake-X motherboard.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Intel is the New England Patriots of CPU manufacturing. Sure, you could genetically engineer the perfect football team, and companies like IBM and defense contractors do that clandestinely, but it's always been Intel's game to lose, and they're doing a very entertaining job.

The difference is that Intel's 'salary cap' is more or less unlimited compared to AMD's and they can quite literally afford to fail while AMD maybe has a stumble or three left in them before the general manager tells them to :fuckoff:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 14, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I like Intel's products mostly but I am drat glad there are anti-trust laws to keep them from just buying AMD to crush them because they totally could.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

priznat posted:

Yeah I like Intel's products mostly but I am drat glad there are anti-trust laws to keep them from just buying AMD to crush them because they totally could.
At least in Europe anyhow

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

there are intel fanboys?

a walmart fanboy

i dont get it

There's probably toaster fanboys. Just read the comments of any CPU article at all. They'll be someone posting like that Intel slide from one camp or another.

Also see r/amd and r/intel.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 14, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Follow tech news on FB, and any CPU articles at all... Check the comments. It's really depressing. They're so stupid they can't even tell. Dunningkrugerbook.

Also see r/amd and r/intel.

/r/intel is actually going "what the hell, intel" for the most part last i checked

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That's good. Normally I don't read FB comments, but recently new CPU tech is getting some great terrible ones. There's probably people having heart attacks out of rage.

It's so special.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 14, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

der8auer is still doing damage control after his X299 VRM analysis went viral, showing a $500 asus board with a new heatsink and optional 40mm fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hejMP5hrhjc

meanwhile even /r/intel seems to that nobody should buy a 7900X over TR. :v:

eames fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 14, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

eames posted:

der8auer is still doing damage control after his X299 VRM analysis went viral, showing a $500 asus board with a new heatsink and optional 40mm fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hejMP5hrhjc

meanwhile even /r/intel seems to that nobody should buy a 7900X over TR. :v:

I'm not sure I would characterize that as damage control, he didn't take anything he has said previously back, he just did a overview of the new version of the board which seems to have solved the lack of cooling issues for the VRM

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

This forum always assigns a lot of malice to De8auer and I have no idea why. It's not like he is the only guy that works with hardware companies while also assessing them.

E: for actual content, I am pining for someone to review Skylake-X with some DDR4-4200+ and a cache frequency overclock. Increased memory speeds lower inter-core latency just as with Ryzen and I'm interested to see if it can remove the strange performance deficits of the new mesh chips when compared to BD-E and SL-S.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 14, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

maybe because he has vested interest in X299's success?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

eames posted:

maybe because he has vested interest in X299's success?

He literally sells delid kits at manufacturing cost and that's it as far as financial interest goes. He works for Asus and caseking.de with overclocking but I fail to see how that means he has interest in specifically X299's success. He literally just made a video saying "even if you buy my delid kit you won't be able to overclock because the motherboards are poo poo".

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

BurritoJustice posted:

This forum always assigns a lot of malice to De8auer and I have no idea why. It's not like he is the only guy that works with hardware companies while also assessing them.

Probably half jealousy half being a massive moron.
Granted I'd never heard of him before reading this thread recently but he's not wrong and the latest video didn't seem like damage control to me?

Companies have been adding worthless poorly designed heatsinks to make gamers hard more than dissipating heat so no surprise when I saw that it finally caught up to them.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

So what exactly is the difference between a server and desktop product these days anyway? Especially when the purported desktop product supports all relevant server things like ECC, high bus bandwidth and virtualization?

That slide is pretty much a pants-making GBS threads admission.
Compare server motherboards to home ones. Compare xeon configurations (especially TDP/core count/cache) to desktop. Intel's server products blow the homes away. Although not for games and common home tasks with the notable exception of video encoding.

The difference between a server and desktop product is why AMD doesn't exist in the server market anymore. I am not even sure when the last time AMD had a competitive server product was, and that they escaped the bulldozer architecture without a legitimate lawsuit from vendors or customers in that market is impressive. I'm biased because I'm on the HPC side of things.

For home use, the current gen AMD cpus are good for the first time in a long, long time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Khorne posted:

Compare server motherboards to home ones. Compare xeon configurations (especially TDP/core count/cache) to desktop. Intel's server products blow the homes away. Although not for games and common home tasks with the notable exception of video encoding.
Again, where is the functional difference between a server and desktop chipset? They do the same thing, run the same code. Anything else is just optional features and product segmentation. Intel is making GBS threads on AMD solely on the notion of an implementation detail that doesn't have any significant bearing on the function.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I have never seen a home chipset that supports multiple sockets and massive amounts of ram.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Whoops. Meant chip, not chipset. Most of the bitching is about the CPU.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I have been checking this thread (or its earlier incarnations) every now and then since 2013/14 wondering if it is the time to replace my overclocked 2500k for a gaming rig.

Needless to say, all the time I leave thinking "not yet".

Is there any upcoming architecture that promises to bring a real big leap in performance?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Is there any upcoming architecture that promises to bring a real big leap in performance?

Not really, it's unlikely we'll see the types of performance leaps we did with things like C2D -> SandyBridge any time soon; the focus has largely been on efficiency rather than flat out performance. Maybe the next gen or two will see 6C/12T chips finally filtering down into the <$400 price range, but otherwise ~10% per gen improvement seems to be about where Intel wants to keep things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I have been checking this thread (or its earlier incarnations) every now and then since 2013/14 wondering if it is the time to replace my overclocked 2500k for a gaming rig.

Needless to say, all the time I leave thinking "not yet".

Icelake in 2019 is going to be Intel's first new consumer chip architecture since Skylake. I'm waiting for Cannonlake, and even that's going to be a die-shrunk Skylake.

That being said, I can't succinctly answer your question because no one knows. All I can say, being a 2500K holdout myself, is to just try to have some money set aside for "just in case" situations. I know if my current PC gives up the ghost, I'll be at Micro Center that same day buying that $999 7600K/1070 PC as a placeholder until Icelake.