Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Iznogood posted:

1.e4 e6
2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.a3?!
5...Be7?!
6.Nf3 Qb6

A couple of small comments on the opening.

First about 5.a3 — this seems like a minor move order transposition, and I don't know if you can outright punish it as such. You're right that he's trying to push b4 quickly, but that's a perfectly fine approach. Normally, however, Nf3 is played first, and a3 is only played once black has played Qb6. If black hasn't put the Q on b6, then the b4 push isn't so important since its main purpose is to defend the b-pawn, and sometimes to make space on b2 for the bishop to defend d4.

So if white plays a3 before you have committed Qb6, what do you do about it? I have two thoughts. One is to play the somewhat simple looking Ne7. The reason for this is because if white had played the normal 5.Nf3, they'd be responding to 5...Ne7 with Na3-Nc2. That's no longer a possibility. But I dunno how strong that is. Another, probably more principled approach is to play 5... f6. The idea behind this is that since white has committed to the queenside before you have, try to steer play to the centre immediately. These sorts of lines also often end with black's queen on f6, which would make b4 not only unnecessary but even a liability.

Second about not having Ne7 — Black plays Nh6 in many lines of the advance. The ideas are twofold. First of all, if the queen is already on b6 as it is for you, white can't actually immediately play Bxh6 because black responds with Qxb2!. White has to play Nd2, black then recaptures on h6 with an additional pawn (and will usually pick up either a3 or c3 in short order. The other is that taking on h6 is usually just not that good for white. I've never really understood the finer points of this, but because of the structure of the centre, black's kingside is just not that much of a liability. Now, Be7 is still an error here since you usually want to be able to play your bishop to g7 here, but usually black just prepares to play f6, recapture on f6 with the queen, and then play Bc8-d7-e8-h5. Black controls the kingside with their pieces, and white can have trouble making a target in the middle.

Here's a rapid game I played in the line with the white pieces. Black came out of the opening very well.

1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 c5 4. c3 Qb6 5. Nf3 Nc6 6. a3 Nh6 7. b4 cxd4 8. Bxh6 gxh6 9. cxd4 Bg7 10. Ra2 O-O 11. Nc3 f6 12. exf6 Bxf6 13. Na4 Qc7 14. Be2 Qg7 15. Rd2 Kh8 16. O-O b6 17. Kh1 Ne7 18. Bd3 Bd7 19. Nb2 Be8 20. Qe2 Bh5 21. Qxe6 Bg4 22. Qd6 Bxf3 23. gxf3 Bxd4 24. Rg1 Qf6 25. Qxf6+ Rxf6 26. Rg3 Be5 27. Rh3 Rg8 28. Nd1 d4 29. Nb2 Bf4 30. Rd1 Rc6 31. Be4 Rc1 32. Rxc1 Bxc1 33. Nd3 Bd2 34. Rh5 Kg7 35. a4 Rd8 36. Kg2 Ng6 37. Rd5 Rxd5 1/2-1/2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

The QGA is a perfectly valid way for Black to play. Just give the pawn back for a tempo at some point and develop a little more freely than you could in the QGD or Slav, with the price being capturing outwards with a central pawn, I guess.

I don't play it personally. I'm a Tarrasch defense kinda guy, but the QGA shows up at all levels, not just poo poo tier.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
I'm definitely a poo poo tier player, so I did a quick check on the chess.com explorer. I've played QG 76 times, and of those, it's gone into QGA 20 times. So about 25% of the time my opponents take the pawn.

Also, I'm Quickpull on chess.com if you want to play some poo poo tier chess (same name on lichess if you insist).

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

A couple of small comments on the opening.

First about 5.a3 — this seems like a minor move order transposition, and I don't know if you can outright punish it as such. You're right that he's trying to push b4 quickly, but that's a perfectly fine approach. Normally, however, Nf3 is played first, and a3 is only played once black has played Qb6. If black hasn't put the Q on b6, then the b4 push isn't so important since its main purpose is to defend the b-pawn, and sometimes to make space on b2 for the bishop to defend d4.

So if white plays a3 before you have committed Qb6, what do you do about it? I have two thoughts. One is to play the somewhat simple looking Ne7. The reason for this is because if white had played the normal 5.Nf3, they'd be responding to 5...Ne7 with Na3-Nc2. That's no longer a possibility. But I dunno how strong that is. Another, probably more principled approach is to play 5... f6. The idea behind this is that since white has committed to the queenside before you have, try to steer play to the centre immediately. These sorts of lines also often end with black's queen on f6, which would make b4 not only unnecessary but even a liability.

Second about not having Ne7 — Black plays Nh6 in many lines of the advance. The ideas are twofold. First of all, if the queen is already on b6 as it is for you, white can't actually immediately play Bxh6 because black responds with Qxb2!. White has to play Nd2, black then recaptures on h6 with an additional pawn (and will usually pick up either a3 or c3 in short order. The other is that taking on h6 is usually just not that good for white. I've never really understood the finer points of this, but because of the structure of the centre, black's kingside is just not that much of a liability. Now, Be7 is still an error here since you usually want to be able to play your bishop to g7 here, but usually black just prepares to play f6, recapture on f6 with the queen, and then play Bc8-d7-e8-h5. Black controls the kingside with their pieces, and white can have trouble making a target in the middle.

Here's a rapid game I played in the line with the white pieces. Black came out of the opening very well.

Thank you! Great insights!! TO think I know my way around the french so well! I think I said in another post recently that I was only just discovering that Na6/h6 was more common than I had thought. I always just assumed it's bad (and it is often) but I had completely missed all those lines I am seeing now in gm games. And today I might think of Nh6. ANd after your lecture I will most assuredly do!

a3 you say better than me, and much more precisely, what was on the tip of my tongue. That's why I was not sure I could outright punish the move just that it seems out of place. Thanks to you I have a much better idea of how to react next time.

That being said I expect future games to be much more serious. This game was played at a time when I did not think for one second I'd become serious again.

Also got my reassess your chess workbook today! Why not?

edit: checking your game out. IN the opening the queen side is a setup for both sides I have seen thousand times. But I think I must of seen it but I'm sure I never went with your setup on the kingside! Very interesting thanks!

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 5, 2017

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Are there any good chess apps for Android? Just looking to do some tactics puzzles when I have time to kill.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I just use Chesstempo, there's no app but the site works well on mobile.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
https://chess24.com/en/read/news/kasparov-officially-back-as-a-grand-chess-tour-wildcard

Kasparov is my pick for the greatest player ever, so this is pretty neat :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

King Pawn posted:

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/kasparov-officially-back-as-a-grand-chess-tour-wildcard

Kasparov is my pick for the greatest player ever, so this is pretty neat :)

:woop:

Obviously there are a lot of great chess players in history, but Gary's style is one that really resonated with me at a chessboard as lame as that sounds.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

So are they seeding him as unrated? It would be funnier if they brought out his old rating and just parachuted him in as the world #2.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

So are they seeding him as unrated? It would be funnier if they brought out his old rating and just parachuted him in as the world #2.

Yeah, FIDE rapid rating, which as far as I know Gary is unrated in. Also I agree.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Just registered (hopefully, have not gotten confirmation yet) to a simul against IM Jean Hebert who's actually local to me. 6 sept so there's a while to go but I look forward to this game. He actually taught me chess when I was 10 or 11 something like that. Also got his latest book about sacrifices in the Sicilian recently when I met him at the local club.

Never admired him much he was always a boring player to me but then again I never really paid attention to him. My friends "back in the day" and me where part of the new blood (the friends were much better players than me one is still active and a master) he was already the old guard.

Hey hey he has a wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_H%C3%A9bert

Yeah let's stalk the guy :-D http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=22480

Off to Quebec city for a couple of days might look into the chess club there but it's summer and activities are dying down.. Which is a shame I find I don't enjoy online chess that much. It's really chess live that got my attention again I am realising.

edit: got done with my last correspondance game. The one I was refering to in another post. I don't know if I could ever analyse all the tactics there are at the end. It's almost study llike. Maybe I should.. But in the meen time I ran thru it and annotated it.

iznogoods (1778) - burt65 (1834) [C61]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nd4 4.Nxd4 exd4 5.0-0 a6 Chessbase is out of book here. I did not think anything of this move. I don't know lines by heart that much but I felt we were in a normal (about to get sharp) game.
6.Ba4 Qh4 7.d3 Bd6 Someone's aggressive! I was thinking he missed some fuel and I was already eyeing the king in the centre.
8.f4 c5!? I was not expecting this move at all. I thought that was way too slow. I dig his plan tho. Somewhere between neutralising me on queen side and hanging on to the d4 pawn. But his king is in the centre!
9.e5 Well, got to give some to get some? Of course I am weakening my white squares but blacks white squares on the queen side are pretty week and f3 and e4 look mighty nice for my queen/knight/both. Primarily I am gambling he'll keep postponing castling and I am trying to open lines to the king in centre.
9...Bc7 10.Nd2 Ne7 11.Nf3?! Stockfish does not like this move. Prefers g3.. I'm not into weakening for nothing and Nf3 looked so simple.
11...Qh5 12.c3 Not sure what I was thinking here. Probably just wanted to put pressure on d4 but in retrospect it was kind of slow. SHould of went straight with Qe1 (or e2 according to stockfish) on route to e4.
12...b5 13.Bb3 dxc3? Well. Engine says black is up 3/4 of a pawn. Says something of my activity tho. I still like my idea (figuring Bxb2 one day will be great and I gain a tempo my opponent did not expect (I think he might of taken this into consideration).
14.Qe1? Well. Engine says black is up 3/4 of a pawn. Says something of my activity tho. I still like my idea (figuring Bxb2 one day will be great and I gain a tempo my opponent did not expect (I think he might of taken this into consideration).
14...a5 15.Qe4 Stockfish just hates my plan overall. That's ok. I'm a human.
15...Ra6 16.Ng5 c4 17.dxc4 Rh6 18.h3 Well at last stockfish agrees with me. I'm in a great position now. If my opponent had castled I am pretty sure I'd be worst or equal ish but as it stands he has issues. I do too tho this is getting sharp.
18...Bb6+ 19.Kh1?! No need for the engine to know Kh2 was better. I learned that in the next few moves.
19...d5? Is my opponent trying to win a bet by never castling?
20.cxd5
[
missed the much better variation: 20.exd6 Rxd6 21.bxc3]
20...Nf5 Threathens Ng3+ winning EVERYTHING.
21.Kh2 cxb2 22.Bxb2 Ne3 23.d6 NO FEAR. But really: I could just not find a win for black and I don't even need to calculate it to know this must be crushing black. White is getting hella coordinated and black is in trouble even if he castles. Notice the f5 knight that cannot be booted with f6. He's a great piece both defending and attacking.
23...0-0 24.d7?
[
Well for all the preparation I missed the occasion. For now.. There are a LOT of lines here but I remember I had a hard time convincing myself I was ok to move the knight. Bxh3 is pretty scary, Qe2 also.. 24.Nxf7 Rg6 25.Ng5+ Kh8 26.e6+-]

24...Qe2 25.Bxf7+ At last I think I "see" the win. But I remember there are so many things hanging I could not be sure. Pretty much went on faith here after looking at a ton of lines. But what I did check, always, was if black had a win. If not I must MUST be good.
25...Kh8 26.Be6 g6? g6 seemed really bad to me. Engine agrees totally. But there are no issues so my opponent tried "something". I took a while to find the right move. There are a lot of candidates.
27.dxc8Q Rxc8 28.Bxc8 Nxf1+ I had seen this but it's obvious white does not care about losing both rooks here. e6+ is looming, the queen can jump to a8 if it's not exchanged. Black is collapsing
29.Rxf1 And black resigned. Engine says mate in 11. Did not see any mates during the game but black has almost only "issues" and I have countless paths to a win it seems. Wish we would of played on a little. 1-0

I really liked how I played this game but looking thru it with then engine it's scary how I blunder my advantage. But nothing was obviously a blunder and I'm just not a grand master ha ha. yet...

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 8, 2017

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

dee eight posted:

Levitina-Marinello USWC 1994 black to move

this one is p cool

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

dee eight posted:

this one is p cool

If I got to play this OTB I would never shut up about it.

1...Be4 is real and strong and it's my friend.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Adventures in sub 1000 Chess.com rapid continue.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Bc5 4.d3 Nf6 5.h3 d6 6.Ng5 Be6 7.Bxe6 fxe6 8.Nxe6 Qd7 9.Ng5 O-O-O 10.Nc3 h6 11.Nf3 Nd4 12.Nxd4 exd4 13.Nd5 Nxd5 14.exd5 Rde8+ 15.Kf1 Rhf8 16.c3 dxc3 17.bxc3 Bxf2 18.g4 Re1+ 19.Kg2 Rxd1 20.Rxd1 c6 21.Ba3 h5 22.g5 Qf5 23.Bxd6 Qf3+ 24.Kh2 h4 25.Bxf8 Qg3+ 26.Kh1 Qxh3# 0-1

Hilariously, move 16 is the exact opposite of that endgame example, white allows me to open up the diagonal right onto his king!

I just generally enjoy the game more when there isn't any stupid scholar's mate attacks which always seem to happen at this level. Also, I've given up caring about opening lines, and just focusing on principles. I just play 1 e5 now instead of trying the Sicilian or whatever and i'm having more fun and more success. Chess is fundamentally for me recreation, and a hobby, and I enjoy reading opening theory and reading the 44 game Karpov/Kasparov games so I'm not saying don't do it, I have found you get more out of tactics and general principles at this level.

edit: oh and i'm LordPants on Chess.com if people want to clown on me for fun.

double edit: Hikaru streamed some blitz. I don't know if people need another "affable GM clowns newbs on the internet" stream but he articulates his thoughts out loud so you can see how loving quickly he can process lines, and also he will talk about his wider strategy in the games which I find interesting. Especially when he'll articulate "This move is bad" *10 moves later* "and as you see, because the game opened up now that move is bad, but also you have to think 10 moves ahead but that's what I think about"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyqGwt9lvXs

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 16, 2017

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Nakamura's an absolute beast at speed chess. Even 2700+ GMs talk about how they're intimidated by how fast he calculates.

And I 100% agree with your not worrying much about opening theory. General principles and not hanging your pieces are more important.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Does Naka still have all three of the top bullet ratings on ICC?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I'm trying to get back to being used to slow thinking ahead of the British champs since I haven't played anything other than blitz since April (and that tournament didn't go so hot). I've somehow managed to find the discipline to actually study a bit, which right now means reading a subsection of Attacking Manual 2 by Aagard and then doing some endgame puzzles. Here's a fun one that I'm proud of how quickly I got.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

I'm trying to get back to being used to slow thinking ahead of the British champs since I haven't played anything other than blitz since April (and that tournament didn't go so hot). I've somehow managed to find the discipline to actually study a bit, which right now means reading a subsection of Attacking Manual 2 by Aagard and then doing some endgame puzzles. Here's a fun one that I'm proud of how quickly I got.

Just by reflexe Ke4 looks pretty great. Knight must move out of the fork and after Nd1/Na4 Bd4+ traps it?

edit: hum what about Nc4.. . Did not think it trought I think.. ha ha. Must be something like that tho. :-) Got to go cook stuff for the familly wish I could look at it longer!
or h4 just works. but I need to calculate this I do not know of the top of my head if this wins. Nah pretty sure h4 does not work at all. Nd1 and white mus move the bishop capturing the pawn instant draws..

That's one ugly knight!

edit after food stuff: You know what? I'll go with h4. Nd1 Bg3 and white will play h4 next. The knight is trapped and black has no progressing moves. Just not sure how white converts in the end. Very nice position! Willl keep at it until someone posts a solution or you do. And congrats on solving it fast I'm still not sure I solved it.

edit 3: man I'm obsessed. ANd I think I got it. Had to get the board out and play it out but it dawned on me. Had not even considered it. Kc3 does not work because of Nd1+. It's Bg1 huh? That's why I cannot find wins with h4 and moving the king. Just move the bishop and then the knight falls eventually. Like I said what a horrid knight. Well you're pretty good sir cause I had to check it out by hand and frankly I would of went for something else in all circumstances but maybe a classical tournament game. Even then I just never saw the move until I had gone over the position a couple of times to say the least.

one thing is that,, like in some problems, I did expect the "move" to be something different than what it was. I assumed a theme and got caught there. In a real game this is less lickely since no one tells you "white plays and win" you have to find opportunities yourself. But it's just a excuse ;-)

Loved it!!

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 18, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah the knight is crap. I was taught that b2/b7/g2/g7 was the secret worst square for the knight, because of how easily it can get cut off.

About 1.h4: After 1.h4 Nd1 2.Bg3 gxh4 3.Bxh4+ Kg6 white can't both trap the knight and force black's king off of g6. For example 4.Kd3 Nf2! 5.g5 (Bxf2 Kg5=) Nh3=. The only move to avoid 4... Nf2 is 4.Ke4, at which point black has Nc3=>b5=>c7=>e8=>f6.

The key thing to see is that the bishop cuts off the knight's escape squares from both d1 and a4. The goal then is to use the king to cut off the other squares, while not letting the knight to any square where it may find a new route.

This means that the solution is 1.Bg1! since it holds the diagonal while moving the bishop off a target square. This lets the king trap the knight by getting to c2 or b3.

That's the first part of the solution, at least. There's still a secondary challenge:

1.Bg1 Ke6 2.Kc3 Na4+ 3.Kb3 Ke5 — the king is headed for your pawns. Gotta make sure you still have material to win.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah the knight is crap. I was taught that b2/b7/g2/g7 was the secret worst square for the knight, because of how easily it can get cut off.

About 1.h4: After 1.h4 Nd1 2.Bg3 gxh4 3.Bxh4+ Kg6 white can't both trap the knight and force black's king off of g6. For example 4.Kd3 Nf2! 5.g5 (Bxf2 Kg5=) Nh3=. The only move to avoid 4... Nf2 is 4.Ke4, at which point black has Nc3=>b5=>c7=>e8=>f6.

The key thing to see is that the bishop cuts off the knight's escape squares from both d1 and a4. The goal then is to use the king to cut off the other squares, while not letting the knight to any square where it may find a new route.

This means that the solution is 1.Bg1! since it holds the diagonal while moving the bishop off a target square. This lets the king trap the knight by getting to c2 or b3.

That's the first part of the solution, at least. There's still a secondary challenge:

1.Bg1 Ke6 2.Kc3 Na4+ 3.Kb3 Ke5 — the king is headed for your pawns. Gotta make sure you still have material to win.

Right! Thanks!! Indeed the "second challenge" is what pretty much stumped me. It's easy (sort of) to see the knight is trapped or even how h4 will go but like you said the after these moves has to be calculated and this is where I got lost. Had to play it out a couplle of moves to make sure. Very nice position. Have to find more of these... But, I have the reassess your chess workbook and am not out of problems to say the least. Just have to find time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Creeping slowly towards climbing out of the very bottom bracket on chess.com blitz.

Now I'm getting to the point where when going over my games I'm only really learning from losses, now that may sound really stupid but for the longest time I could look at a win and go "oh I should have done x y z" and still improve my play, where as my losses were "derp, don't blunder the mate in 1 move". Now my wins are starting to be sound, and now my losses are more constructive "Oh, I missread that combination that put me a piece down which was the difference at the end game".

I'm also playing people now who have an understanding over the endgame meaning I can't assume they'll make a fatal flaw which puts more pressure on my play, I really enjoy the endgame and a little study at a low level really pays off especially for getting stalemates in inferior positions, but now people are able to execute and get the most out of advantages.

Also for what it is worth, I'm obviously not in the same league as Hand Knit but in that goon chess game I have trouble not looking at the position and leaping to a move/strategy straight away like it's a blitz game. I have to slow myself down and actually work out the refutations to my moves. Tough when you play a lot of 10 min blitz/rapid!

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I can't really enjoy fast games because I find that I spend a significantly longer time thinking about my moves than my opponents do. Even 30 minutes can seem too short. I think I'll just stick to playing the computer and maybe 45+45, at least until I can form coherent plays.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

algebra testes posted:

I'm also playing people now who have an understanding over the endgame meaning I can't assume they'll make a fatal flaw which puts more pressure on my play, I really enjoy the endgame and a little study at a low level really pays off especially for getting stalemates in inferior positions, but now people are able to execute and get the most out of advantages.

I really liked Averbakh's "Chess Endings: Essential Knowledge. It's not a heavy read and is good for improving your endgame in a broad sense.

algebra testes posted:

Also for what it is worth, I'm obviously not in the same league as Hand Knit but in that goon chess game I have trouble not looking at the position and leaping to a move/strategy straight away like it's a blitz game. I have to slow myself down and actually work out the refutations to my moves. Tough when you play a lot of 10 min blitz/rapid!

Fischer called speed chess "intelectual prostitution for quarters". Can't say I totally agree, but I can see his point.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Black just played Bf5

White's response?

Rh5!! 22... Qxh5 23. Nd7+ Bxd7 24. Qxh5 and ends up with a Queen for his Rook, with the game slightly simplified.

From the following Chess24 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et3OO2-PhEw

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 21, 2017

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

algebra testes posted:

22... Qxh5 23. Nd7+ Bxd7 24. Qxh5 and ends up with a Queen for his Rook, with the game slightly simplified.

Isn't it Queen for Rook AND Knight?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

qsvui posted:

Isn't it Queen for Rook AND Knight?

Derp! Yes that was inaccurate language from me.

I still think it's really cool!

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
holy poo poo this game that just popped up on chessgames.com

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1293460

it almost looks made up

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Bad Titty Puker posted:

holy poo poo this game that just popped up on chessgames.com

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1293460

it almost looks made up

And this is why pieces having squares matters.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Also here's another endgame puzzle. It's from higher up the difficulty ladder, but I think it's a touch easier than the last one.

White to move.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I feel like I'm missing something because this seems very easy to me.

1. c6 Bxc6 2. h5 Kb5 3. h6 Be4 b7 then h7. If 2...e4 3. Kf4

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah that's it. I think it's simplified because there's only two candidate moves, so it's not at all hard to calculate.

(And I had to search for a second candidate move.)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

There's been a late addition to the World Cup (AKA Knockouts):

http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS_2017/FIDE_News/World_Cup_2017/World_Cup_Participants.pdf

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Just played this bullet (2 + 1) and am surprised at how happy I am with my play. Except for a miscalculation right at the end that changed nothing I thought I exploited my opponent's mistakes pretty well and found great squares and coordination for my pieces compared to my usual "bad after opening must save position).

I know I did not want to play bullets anymore but I just don't play because with the kids and life I never have 30-60 minutes for a game. But the studies (the little I have been able to squeeze in) seem to be working my vision in some moments was much clearer than usually. Had a good feel for where to put my knights and bishops. My opponent was not a very good player (1300ish) and I could tell he was more reactive (as opposed to organised with a plan) than I was.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 d6 4.Nf3 Nxe4 5.Qe2 Qe7 6.d4 d5 7.Bf4 Nc6 8.Nbd2 f5 9.O-O-O Bd7 10.h4 h6 11.Nb3 O-O-O 12.Ne5 Kb8??
(here goes a rook!)
13.Ng6 Qb4 14.Nxh8 Qa4 15.Kb1 Nb4 16.a3 Na6 17.Rd3 ( Computer says this is a mistake (still won for white but I had seconds to calculate Bxa3 and just tought my rook there, ready to jump on c3 and put more pressure on c7, was solid)
Bxa3 18.bxa3 Qxa3?!(this kicks off a forced line that just seals the deal)
19.Nc5 Qb4+ 20.Rb3
Nc3+ 21.Kb2 Nxe2 22.Rxb4 (White lost on time. MUCH better was Nxa6+, bxa6 23.Rxb4+ followed by Bxe2)

As played the game would of continued:
Nxb4 23.Nxd7+ Rxd7 24.Bxe2 ++

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gotta qualify for the world championship cycle somehow.

(checks note)

Wait a second...?

Real talk great that Hou Yifan is in it, for previously discussed reasons.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

I AM SLOPPY

I cannot help it whenever I feel comfortable I just get sloppy. I need to discipline myself and ty to keep playing the best moves if only to practice good play instead of "disconnecting" in my head and going thru the motion just winning the position. Still a nice game I played interesting ideas and again my opponent did not adjust well at all. He had things going for him (plans with Qh5+ and later the f5 move to kick my knight) but he always wen't for it in sub-optimal conditions. Still, I missed a mate in one which is pretty shameful.

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d6 3.Nc3 Be7 4.Be3 Bg5 5.Nf3 Bxe3 6.fxe3 g5 7.e5 g4 8.Nd2 dxe5 9.Nde4 Qh4+ 10.g3 Qh5 11.Nb5 Na6 12.Bg2 Qf5 13.Rf1 Qg6 14.c3 f5 15.Nc5 c6 16.Nd6+ Ke7 17.Nxa6 bxa6 18.dxe5 Bd7 19.Qd2 Qh6 20.O-O-O Qxh2 21.Nxf5+ exf5 22.Qxd7+ Kf8 23.Qxf5+ Kg7 24.Rd7+ Kh6 25.Rh1
(missing Qg5+ because it was so simple to just pick up the queen and at the moment I thought the mate was not quite there but I took a couple seconds here I could of taken 3 minutes for the move. )
Qxh1+ 26.Bxh1 Ne7 27.Rxe7 Rhg8 28.Re6+ Rg6 29.Qf4+ Kg7 30.Re7+ Kg8 31.Qf7+ Kh8 32.Qxh7# 1-0

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played much chess (although I did go over another Karpov/Kasparov draw from 84) since I discovered that loving Goon v Goon correspondence game.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

This is the ugliest pieces design ever.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Doctor Malaver posted:

This is the ugliest pieces design ever.

It is! Also I have a choice of the thumbnail or a image just a tad bt bigger than my screen. I can zoom out but text becomes too small. Come on Handknit you can do better! ;-)

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

I like this place for diagrams: https://www.chessvideos.tv/genboard.php

black to move
Ghong - Holmes 1994 Nat'l open.

It's tacticly delicious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

1...Re8 2. Be4 Rxe4 3. fxe4 Qxe4 and white can't stop Qg2, I think?