Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Okay as we've been talking about in Discord for a bit, here's some preliminary crap about the...

Indygoonapolis 500

Here’s your big chance to do one of these massive online racing events, but instead of getting crashed out right away by spergy iRacing tryhards, you can get crashed out right away by spergy goon tryhards! Not all the details are firmed up yet, so be sure to fill out the little form I made to show interest and to give me some input on the event.

When: 1800 GMT (1pm CDT/12pm CST), some Sunday in October or November, with qualifying taking place the weekend before, 30 minutes warmup after the race session launches.

Entries: Open to any goon, all you have to do is join the Gooncar league on iRacing and be in Mumble during the race (doesn’t matter if you don’t have a microphone and/or don’t want to talk to goons, we do race control type stuff through there plus it’s normally pretty funny too). This is a semi-serious event, so don’t be a dick.

Race Details: 200 laps at Indianapolis (IndyCar Oval), using one/both of the Indycars, fixed weather (that will be generated by a dynamic session and announced after qualifying finishes), rolling start, yellow flags, no incident limit, single file restarts, as-yet undecided number of fast repairs and wavearound procedure.

Qualifying Details: Qualifying will be set up the weekend before as separate hosted sessions, you’ll get 4 laps which I will then painstakingly convert into a 4-lap average because iRacing can’t do that automatically. Fixed weather which will be different from the race weather, generated by a dynamic session and announced a week before qualifying opens. If there are multiple qual sessions to accommodate people’s schedules, you can enter as many of them as you want, but only the last one will count.

Prizes: If we get enough entries (thinking 20+ here), I will put up some prizes. I haven’t given this part too much thought yet, but possible ideas would be for pole, top 5 in the race, top 5 with an iRating below a certain amount, etc.

So What Now? Go fill out the form at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdXEUVSYkTO3DHZPcTbvH39UpxTRhbUCKo7VWq91jZasFD12g/viewform?usp=sf_link if you might be interested and to give me some feedback on these ideas! I will put together an actual entry spreadsheet as we get a little closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Adding a note because there was a question about it on the form: the Indycar Dallara circa 2011 (smooth name iRacing, really flows off the tongue) is the free car. There are advantages and disadvantages to using either it or the DW12, so that's why that question is there.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar at Phoenix tonight! The free version. Back to Skips for Sundays too.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Lord Crapulus posted:

Reminder that the 24 Hours of Spa is coming up, July 22-23, GT3's (Audi, BMW, McLaren, Mercedes). Sign up here to race with goons: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PXAGd7pa8CV8PUOrx-0X3eicHwescrffNlkTZOsyGyY

We could use more people for this!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So I'm a noob and don't "get" setups and don't really want to worry about minute adjustments on suspension and stuff, I just want to race clean on cool tracks in VR. So why is the baseline setup for the loving car I try failing tech inspection on every track I try it on? It says the ride height is the problem but of course the ride height isn't adjustable directly, I have to tweak other poo poo that I don't understand just to be able to test my car with a supposedly baseline setup on a track.

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

(I'm complaining about the '15 Miata and haven't tried any other cars since the update because this just annoyed me too much)

I tried reloading the baseline setup thinking something changed in the update but that didn't change anything. The ride height was still too high.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 21, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The 2015 MX-5 baselines haven't been updated in about 4-5 physics changes so they're probably broken on every track.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
You need to adjust the springs to change the ride height (usually one or two clicks on each side will do it), or if you don't want to mess with setups at all you can probably find a setup on the forums for most tracks that you should be able to just load and go.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
In other news:

:siren: MX-5 Gooncar at Concord tonight! :siren:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I think his main complaint, which I share, is why. Like, good god, at least give me a FUNCTIONAL car if you're not going to give me the ideal car. It's a level of spergishness that is a bridge too far.

That said, since I've gotten back into it, I've come to the conclusion that iRacing is definitely the best feeling sim racer. After driving iRacing non-stop for a week or 2, I went back to Automobilista and AC and they felt like Gran Turismo. I have to drive an 80s turbo F1 or wild prototype can-am cars to feel like the car isn't on rails in AC. AC still rocks and is probably the nicest looking VR experience but iRacing is the best overall package. Too bad its so drat expensive just to get a few tracks and cars. Kinda getting bored of bombing around in alternately superfast Indycar or a loving Miata. All on the same like 3 road courses and a ton of short track ovals. Oh well.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

The new mx5 should have a working baseline setup anywhere. Definitely on the free tracks. Free tracks are limited a little but the free car range is pretty good imo between mx5, indycar, cadillac, spec racer ford, old supercar v8, a bunch of old oval cars. Also dirt street stocks is basically unique in simracing if you're into that

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The cars definitely don't drive like they are on rails in AC

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The baseline for the mx-5 should work since the rookie series is fixed. Unless the fixed series just applies a working setup that isn't saved as baseline.

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general

Cojawfee posted:

The baseline for the mx-5 should work since the rookie series is fixed. Unless the fixed series just applies a working setup that isn't saved as baseline.

I think the OP was trying to use the circa 2015 mx-5 though :)

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I think AC has the best overall physics experience, but iRacing's presentation and functionality is in a league of its own. It's expensive, but they have no real competition at the moment.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The barrier for entry is pretty high. For example Gozinbulx said "Too bad its so drat expensive just to get a few tracks and cars. Kinda getting bored of bombing around in alternately superfast Indycar or a loving Miata. All on the same like 3 road courses and a ton of short track ovals." And he was right to say it.

At the same time, it's not a very positive thing to say but it's basically like, if you're not ready to buy $150 worth of content to get started, probably don't even register for that first Street Stock or MX-5 session.

e: I'm not saying you have to buy them before you get started. What I'm saying is that in a typical game, you might think
"I'm going to try this. If I don't like it, I'll quit, if I like it, I'll keep playing"
In iRacing that needs to become
""I'm going to try this. If I don't like it, I'll quit, if I like it, I'm prepared to drop money on these 3 cars and these 8 tracks"

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 21, 2017

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Does anyone know what's up with time attack, are the regular time trials going to be replaced by that? Did a few laps in the Ferrari round lime rock and now I'm an expert level hot lapper, lol. The new interface is really slick and I like how well it works in VR but hotlapping is still hotlapping

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The barrier for entry is pretty high. For example Gozinbulx said "Too bad its so drat expensive just to get a few tracks and cars. Kinda getting bored of bombing around in alternately superfast Indycar or a loving Miata. All on the same like 3 road courses and a ton of short track ovals." And he was right to say it.

At the same time, it's not a very positive thing to say but it's basically like, if you're not ready to buy $150 worth of content to get started, probably don't even register for that first Street Stock or MX-5 session.

e: I'm not saying you have to buy them before you get started. What I'm saying is that in a typical game, you might think
"I'm going to try this. If I don't like it, I'll quit, if I like it, I'll keep playing"
In iRacing that needs to become
""I'm going to try this. If I don't like it, I'll quit, if I like it, I'm prepared to drop money on these 3 cars and these 8 tracks"
It would be nice if there was a tier of content that was free, above just rookies. So you can really get the feel for the game for your monthly fee, but if you wanna get deep into trucks you can do it?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

algebra testes posted:

It would be nice if there was a tier of content that was free, above just rookies. So you can really get the feel for the game for your monthly fee, but if you wanna get deep into trucks you can do it?

On the road side there are D series that use free cars and have several free tracks on their schedule. You still need to buy 2-4 tracks to do a "full" eight out of twelve week season and there's no real equivalent on the oval side, though.

Edit: I guess Advanced Legends sort of fills that niche for ovals. Even though it's technically a Rookie series you can't just jump in it right off.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

algebra testes posted:

There sort of is/was, a lot of the signup promotions used to have something like 3 months membership plus a GT3 or either of the two D-class oval cars for 12$, which gave you something to use out of rookies. Though you'd have to be lucky with free tracks in the schedule. Not up to date on current deals. And tbh, if you're not hooked by time you first manage to scrape your MX5/street stock across past the checkered in one piece, no additional free poo poo will change that probably. I was cursing myself for ever downloading iRacing around that time because I knew that one way or another, I'm going to be spending a bunch of money on this fake racing business. That turned out to be right, and despite a few long rear end hiatuses still totally worth it

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I buy every new car because I'm a dumbass

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Theris posted:

On the road side there are D series that use free cars and have several free tracks on their schedule. You still need to buy 2-4 tracks to do a "full" eight out of twelve week season and there's no real equivalent on the oval side, though.

Edit: I guess Advanced Legends sort of fills that niche for ovals. Even though it's technically a Rookie series you can't just jump in it right off.

I believe street stock still counts for D class participation if you're a full bore glutton for punishment.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

They do. That's what I did when I was grinding up my licence. Makes you good at avoiding wrecks!

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

njsykora posted:

I believe street stock still counts for D class participation if you're a full bore glutton for punishment.

Safety rating is license-independent. I might misunderstand, but probably you're talking about the trick of grinding your D license to 4.0SR in the rookie street stocks - tedious but doable, and then doing the advanced street stock C class series?? TimeTrials are the way to go to not ruin that 4.0,if you choose to do this. Now you can meet MPR for both D and C licenses and if you do this while the advanced SS is at lakeland or charlotte you can get there without buying anything. yay, I guess? I chose for sanity and got the K&N to try some relaxing fixed, cautionless races bloodbaths while getting MPR.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The MPR is what I'm talking about, that's the only thing you ever need to buy content for past a certain point then you just do 4 races and go back to the series you like. However once you're out of rookies the only reason to raise your licence is if there's a higher level series you want to race in. Unless you really want to race for 2 hours with a bunch of setup spergs and aliens there's no reason whatsoever to have an A licence.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Gozinbulx posted:

I think his main complaint, which I share, is why. Like, good god, at least give me a FUNCTIONAL car if you're not going to give me the ideal car. It's a level of spergishness that is a bridge too far.

It's this exactly. I did go back this morning and do an oval time trial and gained 0.10 SR and am back into the groove. I'm annoyed at setups but I'll just download some working setups and quit complaining. It really is fun when it works, and it's the only oval racing available in VR.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Old Binsby posted:

Safety rating is license-independent. I might misunderstand, but probably you're talking about the trick of grinding your D license to 4.0SR in the rookie street stocks - tedious but doable, and then doing the advanced street stock C class series??

I sort of did this, but bought the Indycar and some tracks instead of doing advanced SS. (which may not have even been a thing five years ago when I did this) I have a B oval license and never touched a D car.

quote:

Unless you really want to race for 2 hours with a bunch of setup spergs and aliens there's no reason whatsoever to have an A licence.

True for road, where A gets you nothing but F1. But for ovals there's a couple fixed series (a regular 12 week and one that follows the real life NASCAR Cup schedule) that get good participation.

Theris fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 24, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Norns posted:

I buy every new car because I'm a dumbass
I finally stopped that poo poo like a year ago. I own so much content I've barely used. The worst for me was short tracks. Why do I own Southern National Motorsports Park and Five Flags Speedway? Lotta Monster Cup races being held there these days Stripe?

The new GTE series looks interesting, with the Ferrari and the Ford. I will buy one of those cars 4 seconds before I join a session when I can't restrain myself anymore, not just because they look interesting. Wish I'd adopted that mentality $400 ago.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 24, 2017

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
After a few failures, I completed my first oval race AND my first road race today! Sure I spun out like 10 times but I finished dammit!!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
And now after just doing time trials for the past 2 months and one aborted race where I got disconnected before it started, I just came in 3rd in what's gotta be the most nervous I've ever been over a game. Street stocks on charlotte. There was a lot of carnage but I managed to escape all but some idiot behind me spinning me out right at the start.

Once I get out of rookies am I likely to encounter idiots that are 7 laps behind weaving all over the place, or are they all stuck in rookies?

I'm hooked.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Jmcrofts posted:

After a few failures, I completed my first oval race AND my first road race today! Sure I spun out like 10 times but I finished dammit!!

congrats, next race you'll spin only 9 times, maybe :toot:

Or... maybe not at alll because USA International was swapped for Charlotte a couple hours back in the Street Stock schedule. Key differences: number of crashes drops, number of times you brake drops (to ~0), the track is now a triangle and you go fast. Also your outlook on life might get better. At least mine did moving to charlotte. I really hated USA when my iRating was low enough to be bottom split. Due to dirt I jumped a bit and this week all higher split races at USA were super clean, even managed to finally get that D license on ovals (:toot: #2). Came out with 1550 iRating, which surprised me since attaining that on the road side took me a good while longer. Turns out it's all true what they say! Don't crash out, and learning to drive better on roads carries over a little to ovals and vice versa.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

GutBomb posted:

Once I get out of rookies am I likely to encounter idiots that are 7 laps behind weaving all over the place, or are they all stuck in rookies?
They still exist outside of rookies. Not as often, especially as you improve your iRating and can get into better splits, but they do still exist.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

GutBomb posted:

And now after just doing time trials for the past 2 months and one aborted race where I got disconnected before it started, I just came in 3rd in what's gotta be the most nervous I've ever been over a game. Street stocks on charlotte. There was a lot of carnage but I managed to escape all but some idiot behind me spinning me out right at the start.

I'm hooked.
It never really goes away. It happens less, but never stops. And also, the higher up you go, the less likely the person is weaving because they don't know what they're doing, and the more likely they're doing it because they're mad at someone and are now screwing with people. So it's more of a targeted terrible.

No matter your class and no matter your iRating, you will always dread a road course where turn 1 is a chicane. Monza, you vicious bastard.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

IRL F1 drivers can't always deal with monza T1 so we should cut ourselves some slack there. Chicanes are tough and they're one aspect of my driving that really improved by going 2-3 wide round ovals for a few hundred laps. But from the tiny lovely one on that Lime Rock layout to majestic Eau Rouge, it's your best bet for a clusterfuck occuring on lap 1, doesn't even need to be in turn 1.

And yeah, no matter the split or car you drive: there's always some dude going round like tiger woods after a few too many xanax. Bottom split rookies have this worse, but higher splits aren't idiot-proof. Probably some exponent of Sturgeons Law

e. is eau rouge even a chicane? maybe just a sweeping corner. Mentally replace it with the bus stop if this is troublesome

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 25, 2017

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Old Binsby posted:

e. is eau rouge even a chicane? maybe just a sweeping corner. Mentally replace it with the bus stop if this is troublesome

Nah, a chicane is any combo of turns added to a track for the express purpose of slowing cars down. Eau Rouge is...definitely not that. But yes, bus stop (which used to be a specific type of chicane called a bus stop and is still called that despite no longer being a bus stop ) is a chicane.

Theris fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 25, 2017

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Theris posted:

Nah, a chicane is any combo of turns added to a track for the express purpose of slowing cars down. Eau Rouge is...definitely not that. But yes, bus stop (which used to be a specific type of chicane called a bus stop and is still called that despite no longer being a bus stop ) and the first two turns at Le Combes are chicanes.

welp learned something today. Makes sense.

The current bus stop is my least fluent corner round Spa probably, I like to blame it on grand prix 4 or so, being the last 'sim' racing game I played that included Spa. Played it to death and was quite pleased to find in iRacing that I was still able to go round there at a fairly rapid pace after several years. But the last bit took a good while to get used to, especially since I was always waiting for the view after blanchimont bent right towards old bus stop. There was a wall that looked very 'one mistake and you're in the concrete, super dead!!!' looming there in GP4 (which may be why the chicane is gone now?). It's weird driving a track you know precisely, except for one corner where you're thrown back to rookie status

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The thing to remember about that chicane in its modern form is that the second corner is a lot tighter than you think it is. Look at the track layout and you see it's about as hard an angle as La Source but with much less space on exit. It's a lot slower than you think it is.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Also the pit lane entry is really easy to gently caress up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hate that chicane. Most chicanes leave me feeling like I'm turning my car all the way around, that one is even worse because it's already almost a hairpin.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It never really goes away. It happens less, but never stops. And also, the higher up you go, the less likely the person is weaving because they don't know what they're doing, and the more likely they're doing it because they're mad at someone and are now screwing with people. So it's more of a targeted terrible.

Oh this guy was definitely doing it intentionally. He was blocking everyone that tried to pass him despite being 7 laps down. I think he'd been in a big wreck early on and was just angry at the world at that point and didn't want to let anyone pass. I just kept calm and saw what he was doing so I stayed behind him without attempting to pass until someone else came up from behind who was more aggressive and actively tried to pass him. The idiot spun him and himself out so I was able to pass safely with no incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've never had enough free time to pull that poo poo 7 laps down. I'd say the worst thing I've ever done was getting turned by a dickhead in a tri-oval which sent me through the infield grass, after which I "couldn't get it locked down" which sent me right back up the track and into him at about 140mph but unfortunately affected 3 or 4 other people. Just couldn't slow the car down for some reason.

I hit him probably 7 seconds after he hit me. I think if you're able to sit in the pits for 7 laps and still want revenge, you should probably check those anger issues my dude.