Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you change CPUs, no, if you change motherboards, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I won't lie that 6c/12t CPU will be real tempting if 1. Coffee lake will support the z170 and 2. MSI updates my bios to support it.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

B-Mac posted:

I won't lie that 6c/12t CPU will be real tempting if 1. Coffee lake will support the z170 and 2. MSI updates my bios to support it.

Particularly if it manages the Kaby Lake ~5ghz clocks with some reliability.

I'm skeptical of its thermal limits, though. It's 50% more work being done in the same area. Kaby Lake is already hot, and you know full-well Intel is going to keep using that freaking cheap paste.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Deuce posted:

Particularly if it manages the Kaby Lake ~5ghz clocks with some reliability.

I'm skeptical of its thermal limits, though. It's 50% more work being done in the same area. Kaby Lake is already hot, and you know full-well Intel is going to keep using that freaking cheap paste.

Good points. I'm going to delid my 6700k next week and watch how coffee lake pans out.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Cygni posted:

More Coffee Lake leaks, launching August 22-26: http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-core-i7-8700k-6-core-cpu-specifications-details-leak/

3.7 base, 4.3 single core, 4.0 all core turbo on the 8700k. Doesn't mention a new revision of 1151, either. That locked 65w model looks pretty tasty too, although I cant tell if hit has HT.

7700k for comparison is 4.2 base, 4.5 single core, 4.4 all core, so you give a couple hundred mhz back but gain 4 threads.

That looks pretty great but at what price? I imagine the 7700k will stay in the lineup and those will all cost more, if the 8700k will be 500$ or more my interest would be pretty low, for that price you get a top of the line Ryzen with more cores / threads and highly competent at current workloads / games.

Unless of course it somehow blows Ryzen out of the water...

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
If we are placing bets on 8700k pricing it will probably follow the 7700k and be around 350. But this is intel so 400 because their cost hasn't changed since the 7700k and i suspect the 8700k is a bigger die then the 7700k so yields would be an issue.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

TorakFade posted:

That looks pretty great but at what price? I imagine the 7700k will stay in the lineup and those will all cost more, if the 8700k will be 500$ or more my interest would be pretty low, for that price you get a top of the line Ryzen with more cores / threads and highly competent at current workloads / games.

Unless of course it somehow blows Ryzen out of the water...
If Intel are capable of "learning" they'd price these at their usual 250/350 scheme.

Recent history shows otherwise though

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe it was a contact issue and sparks flew? The trace is probably way thinner than the contact surface of the pin and pad, and it didn't fry apparently.

Yeah for the pad to fry but not the trace id say high resistance at the pin causing it to heat up. Dust, finger grease or poor contact.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If the 6 core can hit 5ghz im selling my 5820k setup

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
But then the clock advantage gets hosed by the lower memory bandwidth. Or something.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Hey, here's a question, if I change CPUs do I need to reinstall windows? What if I change motherboards to (say, to a Z270)?

Question pertains both to weird driver issues, and also Windows activation.
You'll probably need to reactivate but I think it should work without a reinstall

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

TorakFade posted:

I imagine the 7700k will stay in the lineup

7700k is being replaced with Coffee Lake at the same time the 6 cores launch, though the rumor is 4C/8T unlocked will now be an i5 (assumedly 4/4 is now an i3)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is it possible to apportion blame for SKL-X's relatively poor gaming performance between the new cache layout and the mesh?

So far the results seem fairly disappointing overall, but I haven't seen any reviewers delid it yet, and the thermals make it pretty obvious they're not getting what the chip is really capable of. Not sure it's enough to save it though, it gets you maybe another 10% at most. There's also always the chance there's BIOS or software tweaks that need to happen, so I'm not writing it off 100% yet but it's not doing anything that justifies double the price of Ryzen (or really makes me want to replace my 5820K).

This was really Intel's game to lose, hopefully they do better with Coffee Lake. All I'm really after is Kaby but with more cores. Quad channel RAM would have been a nice perk that might have pushed me to X299 but it looks like there's too much of a compromise in gaming performance to make it worthwhile.

eames
May 9, 2009

If Intel cares about X299 they should work on a 6/8/10 perhaps even 12 core Coffee Lake X lineup with the "old" ringbus.

X299 is a failure because Intel rebadged datacenter-optimized Xeons, not expecting any competition. Or maybe they think the market is too small to put more effort into it.
That's why BW-E has a clock-for-clock advantage on most gaming workloads. Intel tried to make up for it with frequency and obscene power consumption but the results are obviously not great.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If Intel are capable of "learning" they'd price these at their usual 250/350 scheme.

Recent history shows otherwise though

this will never ever happen hth, even if they learn

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

eames posted:

If Intel cares about X299 they should work on a 6/8/10 perhaps even 12 core Coffee Lake X lineup with the "old" ringbus.

X299 is a failure because Intel rebadged datacenter-optimized Xeons, not expecting any competition. Or maybe they think the market is too small to put more effort into it.
That's why BW-E has a clock-for-clock advantage on most gaming workloads. Intel tried to make up for it with frequency and obscene power consumption but the results are obviously not great.

Shouldn't the IPC be about the same as Skylake/Kabylake? If you're able to keep thermals under control and clock the SL-X chips up to the ~4.5-5.7ghz range, they should do about as well as their 4-core mainstream counterparts in single-thread while obviously having the extra cores for multithreading like a champ.

...so if you're willing to delid a $1000 chip and put it on water you've got a solid operation. Intel. :downs:

Edit: And also if you live in like North Dakota you'll reduce your heating bill.

Or does that mesh connection really just gently caress everything up

Deuce fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 23, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

You'd think that but Skylake-X has worse IPC than Broadwell-E (and Kaby Lake and probably even regular Skylake) in many if not most games.

Intel PR even acknowledged this to the german press (PCGH). :v:

google machine translation posted:

The 'mesh' architecture of the Skylake X family differs from the 'ring' architecture of the Broadwell E family. As far as Skylake-X is concerned, we have found in a handful of applications that comparable Broadwell E processors are slightly faster due to these differences. However, the development of a new architecture requires some compromises to achieve the goal of a general improvement in performance. This also applies to the mesh architecture of Skylake-X. While these compromises have a slightly negative impact on a handful of applications, the Skylake X processors deliver an excellent performance per core and significant performance gains across a variety of applications, thanks to the new architecture."

it just so happens that many games are a part of this "handful of applications".

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

If the 6 core can hit 5ghz im selling my 5820k setup

I'd rather keep my nice soldered heatspreader, more pci-e lanes and no weird thermal spikes thanks.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

movax posted:

I'm convinced buying a 2600K at launch was the best CPU purchase I've ever made. I think my laptop is also Sandy Bridge, and my old MBP is a Nehalem; unfortunately, that one limps a little bit with websites that are full of lovely JavaScript. Or that's just an old OS X install and Safari sucking...
Buying a 3700k was a solid investment for me. My CMOS battery died last week, and my score in benchmarks is higher than many people with current gen cpus. My only complaint is that I have win7 home pro which has a 16gb ram limit and I really want 32gb or more of ram now. Web browsers eat ram like candy in 2017, and I run a few vms. I've been debating just switching to linux because I don't even have time to game lately and it's a more convenient operating system for everything other than gaming. ECC would be nice too, but it's not like newer generation home stuff has ecc either. I don't think I've ever owned a primary desktop computer for going on 6 years before.

I keep looking to upgrade and the motivation just isn't there yet. I care too much about >=144 fps in games to play at over 1080p, and everything else it does just fine.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 23, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Khorne posted:

Buying a 3700k was a solid investment for me. My CMOS battery died last week, and my score in benchmarks is higher than many people with current gen cpus. My only complaint is that I have win7 home pro which has a 16gb ram limit and I really want 32gb or more of ram now. Web browsers eat ram like candy in 2017, and I run a few vms. ECC would be nice too, but it's not like newer generation home stuff has ecc either. I don't think I've ever owned a primary desktop computer for going on 6 years before.

I keep looking to upgrade and the motivation just isn't there yet. I care too much about >=144 fps in games to play at over 1080p, and everything else it does just fine.

Your 3770k will overclock to at least 4.3 on air, easily, so do that if you haven't yet.

If you bought Windows 7 and have a key, that key will upgrade you to Windows 10 Home. Just download the Windows 10 installer, build a USB boot drive and input your 7 Home key.

Otherwise you can download the Windows 10 Assistive Technologies eye and upgrade to Win 10 Pro for free.

No good reason to stick with 7 these days, especially if it's holding you back.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bobfather posted:

Your 3770k will overclock to at least 4.3 on air, easily, so do that if you haven't yet.

If you bought Windows 7 and have a key, that key will upgrade you to Windows 10 Home. Just download the Windows 10 installer, build a USB boot drive and input your 7 Home key.

Otherwise you can download the Windows 10 Assistive Technologies eye and upgrade to Win 10 Pro for free.

No good reason to stick with 7 these days, especially if it's holding you back.
It runs stable at 4.4-4.5 on air. Peak temperature is low-mid 70s c I think as long as the room it's in isn't super hot. Even 4.6 runs alright at the same voltage, but it's a little more volatile. I've only used that in h1z1: kotk because that game is coded awful and ridiculously cpu bound.

It's great to know I can still upgrade my windows install.

Actually, I've always had a question about overclocking it. I have it set to a x45 multiplier and 1.330v, but it usually draws 1.28v maybe 1.31v running prime95. Is this because of my motherboard, just how it is, or what's the deal? I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme6 if it makes any difference. I also noticed putting voltage higher than 1.325V-1.330V to say 1.35v made little to no difference in stability at higher clock speeds

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 23, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Deuce posted:

Shouldn't the IPC be about the same as Skylake/Kabylake? If you're able to keep thermals under control and clock the SL-X chips up to the ~4.5-5.7ghz range, they should do about as well as their 4-core mainstream counterparts in single-thread while obviously having the extra cores for multithreading like a champ.

You'd think so, but no.

Even at 4.7GHz, the 7800X cannot put pull away from a Ryzen 1600 @ 4GHz (Which is also a much cheaper part!)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Has Intel tried asking AMD to share the glue they use for their cores? Trying to use the same paste that they slop on the top for the TIM probably isn't the best approach...

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Maybe I'll get my 3D NAND from Micron instead.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

ufarn posted:

Maybe I'll get my 3D NAND from Micron instead.

Well intel is starting production of their own.

eames
May 9, 2009

Good news everyone! :getin:

Vcore doesn't seem outrageous either, at least not for KBL standards where 1.415V would be considered acceptable for everyday use.
If CFL-S really clocks that well I'm definitely going to replace my R7 1700 system because I'm tired of waiting for KVM virtualization fixes.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

But 50 x 99.98 isn't 5000 dead on. The value would have to be explicitly rounded up for display which I find far less likely that just being rounded in general. :thunk:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

MrBadidea posted:

But 50 x 99.98 isn't 5000 dead on. The value would have to be explicitly rounded up for display which I find far less likely that just being rounded in general. :thunk:

Yea seemed a bit fishy to me as well.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

B-Mac posted:

Yea seemed a bit fishy to me as well.

Especially since 50*99.98 = 4999, a nice whole number, and CPU-Z doesn't exactly round off to the nearest 100 or whatever just for the hell of it.

The performance seems fishy, too--6C x 5Ghz = 30, and 8C x 3.7Ghz = 29.6. Seems a little too convenient that this nearly 1:1 but with CL every so slightly ahead ratio is also what shows up in the performance bars.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've never ever seen CPU-Z round to a flat number. It displays two digits after the comma, too.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I think my old ivy bridge desktop processor is starting to burn out, it's now very occasionally bluescreening/restarting randomly, and recently it refused to start unless I killed the overclocking

if that didn't happen i'm not sure i'd ever replace it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

evilweasel posted:

I think my old ivy bridge desktop processor is starting to burn out, it's now very occasionally bluescreening/restarting randomly, and recently it refused to start unless I killed the overclocking

Time to either increase voltage or decrease clocks. My 2500K has already lost a couple hundred mhz at the voltage I want to run it at. Good news is 4.3ghz is still fine.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just sounds like slow voltage or an overambitious clock, yeah.

Testing with 5 rounds of Intel Burn test on Standard (10 Higher later on) and following up with Prime95 for a bit for half an hour (4-8 hours after you've set it to a milestone) usually caught all my issues.

Granted, this was for my i5-760 Lynnfield, but it was a great guide.

I thought I could go way higher, but I decided to test rigorously instead of being bold, and I'd end up with Prime95 failing by the fourth or eighth hour of testing instead and had to just my glee accordingly.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Do we have any evidence one way or another that the 6C Coffee Lake chips are making it into laptops?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

its still happening even though i ended the overclocking entirely (which had been stable for ~5 years), my working theory is it's just the electromigration that can eventually occur in long-term overclocks

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

evilweasel posted:

I would also check the PSU if you got a spare around. Weird power related crashes are due to dying PSUs a lot of the time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Twerk from Home posted:

Do we have any evidence one way or another that the 6C Coffee Lake chips are making it into laptops?

Im sure eurocom will make a "laptop" with one

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Cygni posted:

I would also check the PSU if you got a spare around. Weird power related crashes are due to dying PSUs a lot of the time.

I would suspect degradation of caps for the for the CPU voltage regulators with that age.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Big AT review of the i7 7740X and i5 7640X

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11549/the-intel-kaby-lake-x-i7-7740x-and-i5-7640x-review-the-new-single-thread-champion-oc-to-5ghz

Short version: The fastest single threaded CPU, so games/productivity stuff is good. But you pay a $100+ premium (with the mobo) over the 7700k that has 95% of the performance. And the i5 7640X makes zero sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Cygni posted:

Big AT review of the i7 7740X and i5 7640X

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11549/the-intel-kaby-lake-x-i7-7740x-and-i5-7640x-review-the-new-single-thread-champion-oc-to-5ghz

Short version: The fastest single threaded CPU, so games/productivity stuff is good. But you pay a $100+ premium (with the mobo) over the 7700k that has 95% of the performance. And the i5 7640X makes zero sense.

I don't think either make much sense but lol at the i5.