Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Coffee Lake-X would be decent though. An i5 with 6/6 would be a whole different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Paul MaudDib posted:

Coffee Lake-X would be decent though. An i5 with 6/6 would be a whole different story.

Intel :downs: with i5 4/4, i7 6/6, i9 6/12 maybe

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Deuce posted:

Intel :downs: with i5 4/4, i7 6/6, i9 6/12 maybe

More like some i5s that are 4/4; others that are 6/6 and i7s in both 4/8 and 6/12.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Krailor posted:

More like some i5s that are 4/4; others that are 6/6 and i7s in both 4/8 and 6/12.

Makes no sense so I'm sure it's what intel will do.

eames
May 9, 2009

from a guy with a decent track record of proven leaks... this would also match the x43 multipliers shown in CPU-Z screenshots

sweeper posted:

6C/12T
12MB L3
3.7 GHz Base
4.3 GHz 6-core Turbo
4.4 GHz 4-core Turbo
4.6 GHz 2-core Turbo
4.7 GHz 1-core Turbo
95W TDP

https://hardforum.com/threads/coffee-lake-lga-1151-6c-12t-launching-in-august-several-k-models-planned.1930226/page-16#post-1043127762

Other rumors suggest that the Z370 is a rebadge of Z270 and that the "new" Z390 chipset with integrated WiFi and USB 3.1 will follow months later. That would at least confirm backwards compatibility to Z270 for Coffee Lake (unless the people at Intel have lost their minds)

eames fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 26, 2017

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I forgot to take photos but I delided my 6700k using the rockit tool, it was pretty simple overall but still a bit nerve racking. I can see why people get such significant temp drops. The old TIM was super dry and there was about a 1/4 portion of the die that was barely covered at all. I ended up using thermal grizzly conductonaut and with some quick benches so far I am seeing about a 15-20C drop overall.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So my brother had to replace his CPU fan and decided to just remove his whole heatsink to make it easier. He didn't know you needed to put new thermal compound on so he just slapped the heatsink back on and started gaming. He was complaining about 10-15 FPS and unplayable lag.

He hadn't told me about the heatsink or I would have known the issue, so it had to wait until i was able to see him, about a month.

Well, he's been playing dark souls this whole time and when I got there i noticed his CPU was idling at 95 C....

here's a pic.

Somehow this thing still turns on.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Sturdy little beasts, aren't they.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Will that even clean up? :stonk:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Intel could probably have a nice bump to their Q4 numbers if they simply subcontracted out professional delidding services with a retention of warranty. But then they'd have even less incentive to return to soldering.

Fruit Chewy posted:

AS5 might not be the baddest paste on the block anymore, but this poo poo still works: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

But time and :effort: plus a microfiber cloth and high purity isopropyl would eat that poo poo off no problem.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fruit Chewy posted:

We'll see. Getting some rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Ah, a connoisseur of the "slap it back on there" thermal paste application method.

See also: the "didn't remove sticker before using" master race, of both the CPU and GPU varieties

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ah, a connoisseur of the "slap it back on there" thermal paste application method.

See also: the "didn't remove sticker before using" master race, of both the CPU and GPU varieties

There's also gotta be at least one "left the plastic insert in, thinking it was the CPU" or "put the CPU on top/beneath the plastic insert and tried to close the bracket" guy.

-----

Also, srs bns, but I think the 'rumors' of early Coffee Lake CPUs being compatible with Z170/270 boards is just some Engineering Sample jiggering. It's likely way cheaper for Intel to 'okay' certain release boards and custom-rig a new confidential alpha/beta BIOS for them for initial testing than it is to commission a limited number of OEM Z370 boards and send them out.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 27, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Paul MaudDib posted:

I had a service tech one time who thought you had to apply the entire tube for every socket. That was a great mess to scrape out of an expensive dual-socket blade board.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Also posted this in the AMD thread, why do we still not have a single CPU thread?

Two threads about AdoredTVs latest video:

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/6ppse9/intel_anticompetitive_anticonsumer_antitechnology/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6pppdz/intels_antitrust_practices_since_the_1980s/

eames
May 9, 2009

Measly Twerp posted:

Also posted this in the AMD thread, why do we still not have a single CPU thread?

I think it's because nobody wants to make the OP. Maybe somebody should open some wiki style google doc so multiple people can work on a new CPU megathread? I'm not good with google docs or I'd do it.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
fwiw, I kinda like having 2 forum threads. One thread can get hyped about some new release, and the other thread can talk about other general hardware stuff that doesn't have a thread.

Like, USB 3.2 got announced recently. They're going to open up a second "lane" in usb-c, doubling bandwidth to 20 Gbps for USB-C 3.2 gen2 x2 because this is how we do versioning now.

http://www.usb.org/press/USB_3.2_PR_USB-IF_Final.pdf

We're going to be even more crunched for internal bandwidth in the future.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Intel could probably have a nice bump to their Q4 numbers if they simply subcontracted out professional delidding services with a retention of warranty. But then they'd have even less incentive to return to soldering.

AS5 might not be the baddest paste on the block anymore, but this poo poo still works: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010

But time and :effort: plus a microfiber cloth and high purity isopropyl would eat that poo poo off no problem.
I can't imagine how you can remove the new-fangled diamond dust they're selling as CPU glue these days

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Why are people so hyped about ryzen/threadripper? It seems competitive on paper, but if you look at benchmarks it has 7%-10% worse single core performance than a 6 year old intel architecture. Which is mostly what matters on the desktop. It's nowhere near competitive with recent intel stuff unless your life is encoding videos, and at that point intel has a better solution there too: buy used 10 core xeons for $70 each and put them in a dual socket motherboard.

I have some mild hype because intel might release some 6 core+ chips at a competitive price to compete with the people easily duped into buying an inferior AMD product, but that's about it. I'm an AMD fanboy at heart, as everyone should be, but man who spends money on them anymore. :(

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 28, 2017

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Khorne posted:

Why are people so hyped about ryzen/threadripper? It seems competitive on paper, but if you look at benchmarks it has 7%-10% worse single core performance than a 6 year old intel architecture. Which is mostly what matters on the desktop. It's nowhere near competitive with the Kaby Lake X processor.

source your press releases

edit: your addition about "competitive price" is the point, AMD's CPUs here are slightly worse on performance but price also matters and they are absolutely competitive/winning on performance for the price

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Khorne posted:

Why are people so hyped about ryzen/threadripper? It seems competitive on paper, but if you look at benchmarks it has 7%-10% worse single core performance than a 6 year old intel architecture. Which is mostly what matters on the desktop. It's nowhere near competitive with the Kaby Lake X processor.

I have some mild hype because intel might release some 6 core+ chips at a competitive price to compete with the people easily duped into buying an inferior AMD product, but that's about it. I'm an AMD fanboy at heart, as everyone should be.
Games are not the only thing that matters to people, hard as it may seem to believe.

alternatively, SYQ

Khorne posted:

It's nowhere near competitive with recent intel stuff unless your life is encoding videos, and at that point intel has a better solution there too: buy used 10 core xeons for $70 each and put them in a dual socket motherboard.
Sure, people can afford 500 dollar used motherboards.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 28, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Khorne posted:

Why are people so hyped about ryzen/threadripper? It seems competitive on paper, but if you look at benchmarks it has 7%-10% worse single core performance than a 6 year old intel architecture. Which is mostly what matters on the desktop. It's nowhere near competitive with recent intel stuff unless your life is encoding videos, and at that point intel has a better solution there too: buy used 10 core xeons for $70 each and put them in a dual socket motherboard.

I have some mild hype because intel might release some 6 core+ chips at a competitive price to compete with the people easily duped into buying an inferior AMD product, but that's about it. I'm an AMD fanboy at heart, as everyone should be, but man who spends money on them anymore. :(

Uh, what?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Malloc Voidstar posted:

source your press releases

edit: your addition about "competitive price" is the point, AMD's CPUs here are slightly worse on performance but price also matters and they are absolutely competitive/winning on performance for the price
The i9 kaby lake x chip is $345 right now. It has a ~30% performance gain single core over the $300 ryzen processor.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Games are not the only thing that matters to people, hard as it may seem to believe.
Things that matter on the desktop that won't be limited by poor single core performance: ahh, umm huh, benchmarks and video encoding. Even things like web browsing or compiling (even gcc with a favorable -j for the ryzen) will be dominated by a 4c with higher single core performance vs the 8c.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Sure, people can afford 500 dollar used motherboards.
You can get LGA2011 dual socket motherboards for around $280 new still.
Most things people do on the desktop are heavily bottlenecked by single core performance.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 28, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I think we found the first person in the thread who actually bought a Skylake-X chip

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Khorne posted:

Most things people do on the desktop are heavily bottlenecked by single core performance.

Like...? Most people aren't gaming. Even the gamers don't spend the majority of their time in game.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Khorne posted:

Even things like ... compiling (even gcc with a favorable -j for the ryzen) will be dominated by a 4c with higher single core performance vs the 8c.
Yeah, right.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

Like...? Most people aren't gaming. Even the gamers don't spend the majority of their time in game.
Like anything except encoding video? We're comparing a 4 core and 8 core processor here. Not a 1 core and 8 core.

Most people aren't running a ton of VMs with active cpus or hpc applications.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I think we found the first person in the thread who actually bought a Skylake-X chip
Nah, I have an i7 3770k and it has around 10% higher single and quad core performance than an overclocked ryzen. I paid around $330 for it 5 years ago.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Khorne posted:

Like anything except encoding video? We're comparing a 4 core and 8 core processor here.

Most people aren't running a ton of VMs with active cpus or hpc applications.

TIL multitasking is single-threaded

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

single core :byodood:

Do you run windows XP by any chance? On something as not-recent as Windows 7 on a laptop I went from a 2c4t to a 4c8t and I could suddenly use Chrome and watch lovely anime at the same time.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TIL multitasking is single-threaded
I mean, I know what you are saying, but it kind of is when things aren't devouring CPU or particularly latency dependent. Especially when you have 4 physical cores/8threads vs 8 cores/16 threads. What do you expect people to be running? A video + 20gb of ram worth of browser tabs + a game + a vm + messenging crap + text editors (or even something more awkward like eclipse) will run just fine at once on 4c.
I mean, admittedly it depends what you are compiling and on a number of other factors.

I want more cores too, but the cost of significant single core performance is too much.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 28, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm not even sure who he's preaching towards. It's almost a given that most people posting in this thread are more of the power user sort and can make use of a higher number of cores. Sometimes I dabble in video, rendering, I work with VMs and like to multitask like an idiot. The more cores, the merrier.

Khorne posted:

I mean, admittedly it depends what you are compiling and on a number of other factors.
Anything with more source files than you have fingers on both of your hands. OK, that's maybe a bit of hyperbole, but you get the idea. Compiling the ground control software of the multirotor firmware I'm working on takes like 10 minutes with -j6 on my 5820K. I'm sure it'll go faster with more cores, since it's around 3000 C/C++ files.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 28, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Not everyone wants to buy used/warranties are cool and good also.

New motherboards also support new features like M.2/NVME and USB C.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not even sure who he's preaching towards. It's almost a given that most people posting in this thread are more of the power user sort and can make use of a higher number of cores. Sometimes I dabble in video, rendering, I work with VMs and like to multitask like an idiot. The more cores, the merrier.
Yeah until it became discontinued the 5820k was the undisputed champion of value and overclocking and single core performance and doing anything more than play a single lovely AAA game.

Then it got replaced by the 6800k which clocks 10% worse, 7% if you're lucky, and then the 7800k which we already went into length into

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Khorne posted:

What do you expect people to be running?

A Web Browser.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Web browser is significantly limited by single core performance. If you have 2+ cores your single core clock speed is going to matter significantly more even if you have 100+ tabs open.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anything with more source files than you have fingers on both of your hands. OK, that's maybe a bit of hyperbole, but you get the idea. Compiling the ground control software of the multirotor firmware I'm working on takes like 10 minutes with -j6 on my 5820K. I'm sure it'll go faster with more cores, since it's around 3000 C/C++ files.
Is -j6 faster than -j9/-j12 with the 5820K and that particular build?

Video and rendering both make great use of more cores. VM stuff can also.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

That's not true anymore unless you're still using Firefox 24. All browsers these days will eat all and every core they want.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That's not true anymore unless you're still using Firefox 24. All browsers these days will eat all and every core they want.
The actual performance limiting code still runs single core. Your average, or even above average, javascript heavy site is not going to leverage parallelism very well at all.

I am a huge drat nerd who has hundreds of tabs open at any time like everyone else in the thread.

NewFatMike posted:

Not everyone wants to buy used/warranties are cool and good also.

New motherboards also support new features like M.2/NVME and USB C.
NVME is good for sure. You can kinda use it on older motherboards if you want to mess around.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 28, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Khorne posted:

The actual performance limiting code still runs single core. Your average, or even above average, javascript heavy site is not going to leverage parallelism very well at all.
Except they do in Chrome. My lovely braswell student computer is significantly faster than a core m3 on loving Facebook.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chrome regularly takes up 20-40% of my CPU while I'm browsing and not doing intensive tasks. I recently slimmed down to 95 tabs. 2600k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Except they do in Chrome. My lovely braswell student computer is significantly faster than a core m3 on loving Facebook.
I am sitting here on a 5200u (2c) and facebook is instant even with a bunch of messenger tabs, a video playing in chrome, visual studio code, sublime text, a video call, a few ssh sessions, and some other crap open.

Chrome regularly takes up 20-40% of my CPU while I'm browsing and not doing intensive tasks. I recently slimmed down to 95 tabs. 2600k.
20%-40% of your 2600k is probably only using 2 cores. It does the same to my 3770k.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 28, 2017