Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

ynohtna posted:

I can't comment on the price, though, as the modern "vintage" market is bonkers. I remember when 106s in perfect nick were just a couple of hundred!

I can. They weren't worth it back then either. They sure as hell aren't in this synth renaissance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Goons! Who needs bulky analogue gear? :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbDyJMAM4Ec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4nDfCeIz8o

:haw:

I love Serum so much but would still love to have at least one hardware synth.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 27, 2017

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Startyde posted:

I can. They weren't worth it back then either. They sure as hell aren't in this synth renaissance.

The plugout in System-8 is pretty fun and completely without the drama of a 106, so that works for me.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

Startyde posted:

When they were around 200-300€ or so it was still kind of iffy. :D

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-u-no-lx at least screw around with this for a while and then decide if that palette of sound is worth 1000+ moneys to you (there's a free version on that site somewhere also). If it is then good for you, Oneohtrix Point Never certainly made interesting poo poo with it.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Hey guys. Hoping for some advice.

I'm a guitarist looking for a first synth (unless you count my OP-1). I've narrowed it down to two. I'm looking for a new box to get lost in and make mostly ambient and textural kind of stuff and less basslines/leads kind of thing.

My research has brought me to the Blofeld or a Deepmind 12. What I'm most exited about with both of these is the mod matrix and linking a ton of parameters to the mod wheel or velocity in interesting ways. I had the mopho x4 on my list (just because I hear good things about DSI.) but ultimately decided the 4 voices wouldn't be enough and I can't shell out for an additional tetra for a long time.

The Deepmind has a lot more parameters on the surface which might be better for a synth noob like me but I've heard a lot of people complain about its bland sound. Its hard to judge online though because some of these guys have tens of thousands of dollars worth of vintage synths. Of course a budget entry poly wouldn't stand up to their junos.

The Blofeld seems to go a little deeper but might be a more difficult / less inspiring workflow. For whatever reason though, the Blofeld is exciting me more but its 90% superficial. I like the look and hear the keybed is super solid. I know its digital but I've heard it has a lot of character and is a unique box of its own. Almost the opposite of what I hear about the analog Deepmin 12.

Any thoughts?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
For me, the Blofeld interface completely ruins it. It just isn't as fun as a synth with more 1:1 mapping.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

dj bobby bieber posted:

For me, the Blofeld interface completely ruins it. It just isn't as fun as a synth with more 1:1 mapping.

I actually just saw this which had me leaning strong towards the deepmind simply because of the amount of things you can edit at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ScGBgWKtbg&t=1041s

I'd definitely want to adjust a lot of parameters in real time at once and just kind of "See what happens" and react to it. Looking to get into a sort of zoned out state and just kind of experience the noise while shaping it. Make sense? Any good bands I can listen to in the direction of synthesis? I just feel like its a distinctly different path than the fat bassline/punchy leads kind of playing, which can be great too (I love me some Stevie Wonder). I'm a big fan of Radiohead/Portishead and more subtle and maybe atmospheric type of sound that isn't necessarily in the foreground or melodic.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Personally I'd consider a Novation Peak over the Deepmind. Not quite the same price point (especially if you don't already have a MIDI keyboard), but if you can save up $1k for a synth you can save up $1.3k ;)

jvilmi
May 29, 2004
Blofeld also has a software version available, and all I could think of when demoing it was that this must be a complete nightmare to program through the hardware interface. They look nice, have quality keys and sound great, but I wouldn't buy it as a first synth if you plan to learn synthesis by twisting knobs etc.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Splinter posted:

Personally I'd consider a Novation Peak over the Deepmind. Not quite the same price point (especially if you don't already have a MIDI keyboard), but if you can save up $1k for a synth you can save up $1.3k ;)

Saw that. Looks pretty neat. Its more than $300 extra though, I could snag a used Deepmind12 for $700. I do have a buddy who could get me a significant discount on a new Peak though but what about it is better than the deepmind? I'm also very very partial to something with a built in keyboard.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can supplement the Blofeld with 4 BCR2000s and have 1:1 mapping for 95% of its parameters. Gets a bit pricy and unwieldy though.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can supplement the Blofeld with 4 BCR2000s and have 1:1 mapping for 95% of its parameters. Gets a bit pricy and unwieldy though.

Four ugly rear end BCR2000s would be a statement of a man going his own way.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

philkop posted:

I could snag a used Deepmind12 for $700.

That's a pretty solid deal and low risk if you decide it's not for you.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think it's time to finally sell my Virus. :(

Last night I had an old friend over with the aim of getting some inspiration going and maybe starting a new collaborative project. I'd been away from writing for months. Almost immediately I remembered a primary source of frustration that would quickly break down any inspired moments: The TI just does not get along with Ableton Live.

I spent a few hours chatting with friends about other DAW options but today I think I've come to the conclusion that I love Live's features and natively-setup hardware way more than the creamy hypersaws and odd wavetables on the Virus. This is a really, really tough call to make as I've had the thing for about eight years... but I think that for the sounds I want to make, there are loads of cheap softsynths that do the job way better these days, and keeping a $2500 synth that only serves to give me headaches is financially unsound.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Mister Speaker posted:

The TI just does not get along with Ableton Live.

Yep - this is why I departed from Virusland. I sold it and spent a ton of time learning Massive, which I thought was completely worth it. I do love the Virus, but yeah, TI is wonky.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Nothing like the feeling of getting 100 M2.5x8mm screws and then realizing, yup, too loving long for your case rails.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

dj bobby bieber posted:

Yep - this is why I departed from Virusland. I sold it and spent a ton of time learning Massive, which I thought was completely worth it. I do love the Virus, but yeah, TI is wonky.

I know Massive like the back of my rear end but avoided it for years out of some "I'M gonna do things MY way!" hipster elitism that never worked out for me anyway. I think with the cash from the Virus I'm gonna buy Serum since those stupid neuro sounds seem to be cake with it... But there's gonna be a hole on my desk and a hole in my heart for some time.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Mister Speaker posted:

I know Massive like the back of my rear end but avoided it for years out of some "I'M gonna do things MY way!" hipster elitism that never worked out for me anyway. I think with the cash from the Virus I'm gonna buy Serum since those stupid neuro sounds seem to be cake with it... But there's gonna be a hole on my desk and a hole in my heart for some time.

~~~~Novation Peak~~~~

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm gonna buy Serum

:swoon: :allears:

I think I'm obsessed :ohdear:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

philkop posted:

Saw that. Looks pretty neat. Its more than $300 extra though, I could snag a used Deepmind12 for $700. I do have a buddy who could get me a significant discount on a new Peak though but what about it is better than the deepmind? I'm also very very partial to something with a built in keyboard.

If you're looking at used prices then yeah, it's a lot harder to consider the Peak as an alternative since there's not really much of a used market for it yet. Being able to get Peak at a significant discount though would make it a lower risk purchase as what you pay will be a lot closer to its resale value than if you have to buy it @ MSRP.

There are a few reason I like the Peak more than the DM12 as a go-to (or only) poly. First, the physical controls of the Peak offer more sonic possibilities than the DM12 (i.e. comparing what you can get from each without menu diving). Don't want to go into every little difference, but just look at the oscillators. Deepmind has 2 oscillators. DCO1 can do saw and square, DCO2 can only do square. Peak has 3 oscillators that each have sine, triangle, saw, square and 17 wavetables (with shape control for everything).

Control wise, Peak has significantly more knobs/faders/buttons. Some additions I like: 2 physical envelope ADSR controls vs 1 on the DM (I like being able to see amp and filter envs at the same time); physical FX controls vs none on the DM (especially delay, as I consider it an important component of sound design); course/fine controls on all oscs vs a single pitch fader for DCO2; a few additional mod options that be set without diving (e.g. shape (PWM) can be modulated by LFO1 or mod env 1 via a button, filter freq can be modulated by osc 3 via a knob).

I should note though that the Peak is a hybrid synth (digital oscs with analog filter, amp and distortion) while the DM12 is analog (with DCOs). That's not a knock against Peak (by most accounts the oscs sound great and this is why it is able to have so many osc wave options), but it's an important distinction if you're specifically in the market for an analog poly. Peak does have a few features (diverge, osc drift, filter divergence) for emulating the inconsistencies of old analog synths if that's what you're after though.

Money aside, they are a different beasts, so it ultimately comes down to what exactly you're looking for in a synth. At the end of the day they're both capable synths, and you could do far worse than grabbing a DM12 for $700.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Splinter posted:

If you're looking at used prices then yeah, it's a lot harder to consider the Peak as an alternative since there's not really much of a used market for it yet. Being able to get Peak at a significant discount though would make it a lower risk purchase as what you pay will be a lot closer to its resale value than if you have to buy it @ MSRP.

There are a few reason I like the Peak more than the DM12 as a go-to (or only) poly. First, the physical controls of the Peak offer more sonic possibilities than the DM12 (i.e. comparing what you can get from each without menu diving). Don't want to go into every little difference, but just look at the oscillators. Deepmind has 2 oscillators. DCO1 can do saw and square, DCO2 can only do square. Peak has 3 oscillators that each have sine, triangle, saw, square and 17 wavetables (with shape control for everything).

Control wise, Peak has significantly more knobs/faders/buttons. Some additions I like: 2 physical envelope ADSR controls vs 1 on the DM (I like being able to see amp and filter envs at the same time); physical FX controls vs none on the DM (especially delay, as I consider it an important component of sound design); course/fine controls on all oscs vs a single pitch fader for DCO2; a few additional mod options that be set without diving (e.g. shape (PWM) can be modulated by LFO1 or mod env 1 via a button, filter freq can be modulated by osc 3 via a knob).

I should note though that the Peak is a hybrid synth (digital oscs with analog filter, amp and distortion) while the DM12 is analog (with DCOs). That's not a knock against Peak (by most accounts the oscs sound great and this is why it is able to have so many osc wave options), but it's an important distinction if you're specifically in the market for an analog poly. Peak does have a few features (diverge, osc drift, filter divergence) for emulating the inconsistencies of old analog synths if that's what you're after though.

Money aside, they are a different beasts, so it ultimately comes down to what exactly you're looking for in a synth. At the end of the day they're both capable synths, and you could do far worse than grabbing a DM12 for $700.

Wavetables are neat and I do love me some sine wave action. The Deepmind has some effects which I was very interested in as well though (made my TC electronic, whom I'm a big fan of). I'm specifically looking to do a few faux rhodes/organ sounds as my first few bread and butter patches and some of the drive/leslie simulations on the deepmind sounded great for this. All of the effect parameters are can be modulated as well which opens up a lot of possibilities.

I'm a handy/diy kind of dude. If I ended up with a peak, I would build a keybaord into it and somehow combine the power sources. Or build it into a suitcase with a keyboard or some poo poo. I have enough projects on my plate for now though but that sounds like it could be super fun!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Thanks for the advice on the synth guys, I really don't know much about vintage/reissue gear but am not looking to blow a grand on anything other than a really good deal.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

the earlier mentions of Massive made me open it up again and guys did you know it's pretty good?? funny how i forgot that with all sorts of new bullshit available to me.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

If you're considering blofeld, consider Sledge. It's a knobby blofeld lite. 2.0 version adds sample license for free, first run ones can buy it, so check if you're looking used.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
What about the Mopho X4? I'm super new and don't know much but I've always had a DSI boner ever since I used a prophet in the store a few years back.

What do you think about something like the Mopho X4 ? If synthesis is something I really get into, I could do the whole terta polychain trick in the future for more voices.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'm quietly starting to sell a massive (500+ sounds) Massive bank for €75, DM me if interested (here, or on twitter or soundcloud, where on both I'm @wayfu).

You'll get:

- 100+ basses, 100+ leads, 100+ pads, 100+ plucks, a bunch of drums and some fx. No chords, arps or sequences (well one or two but they're not the focus of this pack)
- Macros assigned not by the lot but to unlock specific sound variations and performance options that are more complex than just "Filter 1 Cutoff", and labeled with more intuitive captions
- A fill-up on the things the Massive Factory Content lacks, namely patches suitable for melodic music; clean and fat synths. Everyone's got all the growls and wobbles they'll ever need already, this isn't that.
- Some of my signature sounds – I've been using many of these presets myself, in fact I don't really use anything else in Massive any more.

Check out a few demos straight from the synth with no further processing here:

https://soundcloud.com/wayfu/wayfinder-massive-presets-demo/s-L2R1i
https://soundcloud.com/wayfu/wayfinder-massive-soundset-psy/s-WQVBl
https://soundcloud.com/wayfu/ob-x-inspired-massive-patches/s-UQoV5

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

wayfinder posted:

I'm quietly starting to sell a massive (500+ sounds) Massive bank for €75, DM me if interested (here, or on twitter or soundcloud, where on both I'm @wayfu).

You'll get:

- 100+ basses, 100+ leads, 100+ pads, 100+ plucks, a bunch of drums and some fx. No chords, arps or sequences (well one or two but they're not the focus of this pack)
- Macros assigned not by the lot but to unlock specific sound variations and performance options that are more complex than just "Filter 1 Cutoff", and labeled with more intuitive captions
- A fill-up on the things the Massive Factory Content lacks, namely patches suitable for melodic music; clean and fat synths. Everyone's got all the growls and wobbles they'll ever need already, this isn't that.
- Some of my signature sounds – I've been using many of these presets myself, in fact I don't really use anything else in Massive any more.

Check out a few demos straight from the synth with no further processing here:

https://soundcloud.com/wayfu/wayfinder-massive-presets-demo/s-L2R1i
https://soundcloud.com/wayfu/wayfinder-massive-soundset-psy/s-WQVBl
https://soundcloud.com/wayfu/ob-x-inspired-massive-patches/s-UQoV5

Look into Gumroad if you're planning on selling these online through your website. I've heard good things about it being used for digital distribution.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

philkop posted:

What about the Mopho X4? I'm super new and don't know much but I've always had a DSI boner ever since I used a prophet in the store a few years back.

What do you think about something like the Mopho X4 ? If synthesis is something I really get into, I could do the whole terta polychain trick in the future for more voices.

If you get into synthesis you'll want more different synths, not more of the same one. The things you're looking at are fairly complex synths, which isn't to say they're hard to figure out. They are complex enough that a lot of functionality is hidden in the menus, and it's not fun to edit stuff through menus, it's like programming a vcr.

How about this thing for organ and some other classic poly sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_LVudzk-x8

Getting a deep mind for a first synth is kind of like buying some kind of bluegrass piezo freak out with eight pots as a first guitar. I mean it may be the best thing for you in the long run, so who knows.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

My TI2 still works seamlessly with Ableton, but I've kept my myself at OS 10.11.6 primarily for this reason.

I wonder what they do all day at the Access offices.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

streichfett owns imho

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

loga mira posted:

If you get into synthesis you'll want more different synths, not more of the same one. The things you're looking at are fairly complex synths, which isn't to say they're hard to figure out. They are complex enough that a lot of functionality is hidden in the menus, and it's not fun to edit stuff through menus, it's like programming a vcr.

How about this thing for organ and some other classic poly sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_LVudzk-x8

Getting a deep mind for a first synth is kind of like buying some kind of bluegrass piezo freak out with eight pots as a first guitar. I mean it may be the best thing for you in the long run, so who knows.

I get what you mean about wanting more sounds and not the same one. So planning to drop another $500 just to expand a mopho might not be the best plan. I took another good look at it anyways and I don't think I could get along with its programming (The same kind of shared knob as the blofeld. Deepmind has some of this too but way less.) In my mind, it was my ticket to getting a prophet but spacing the cost out over two purchases.

Cool little string box! I find I can get those kind of sounds and editing from my OP-1. Definitely looking to step up to a fully capable and pretty deep poly synth.

I just wanted to clarify something, since I really don't know. The complexity that is hidden in menus, are you mostly referring to the mod matrix stuff? One of the reasons for strongly considering the DM12 was that all of the "Basic" functions seemed to be on the surface while the only things that were deep in menu were things that would be in menus on any synth. That being said, I'm not afraid of a little deeper programming. I'm actually most excited about the modulation when it comes to synths. Back in the day when I had Fruity Loops I used to rig up a bunch of separate instruments and effects to one XY controller to the point where you could just control the XY to make a whole song. Looking forward to nerding out and learning about each of the modifiers and trying to use them all in cool ways.

I think I get your guitar analogy. Are you just saying that it does a lot more under the hood and I may not use or need all that it offers? The Piezo thing makes me think it has some kind of niche sound or feature set but it seems pretty middle of the road to me in that regard.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Oldstench posted:

Nothing like the feeling of getting 100 M2.5x8mm screws and then realizing, yup, too loving long for your case rails.

I have done exactly this. They're occasionally useful for thicker panels, especially homemade acrylic ones.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Also, for those of you following the Modular Addict / Tiptop stackable drama, I emailed John the other day, and he confirmed that he would eventually be eating Pomona's lunch (well, a small part of it) and releasing some cheap, decent banana cables.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

good jovi posted:

I have done exactly this. They're occasionally useful for thicker panels, especially homemade acrylic ones.

A good excuse to use think plastic washers to avoid rack rash IMO.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Got the sub 37 the mail! I'm going to have to rethink how I have my desk setup in my music room (and probably the entire music room if I ever get enough time off work) but man, what little seconds I had to mess around with it it's awesome. Dialed up a bass tone that I could sit and dink around with for hours. Can't wait to get into it more.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Do any of y'all have a Digitakt yet? I'm thinking of getting one to use as a sequencer and drum machine, since the Youtube videos I've seen look promising. I just want to do improvised stuff with loops, not make songs with it. Other gear is a Minibrute and Alpha Juno 2

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

good jovi posted:

Also, for those of you following the Modular Addict / Tiptop stackable drama, I emailed John the other day, and he confirmed that he would eventually be eating Pomona's lunch (well, a small part of it) and releasing some cheap, decent banana cables.

I'm all for not spending $5.50 per cable, but I've literally never had a Pomona go bad on me. I hope he can keep that quality up.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

curried lamb of God posted:

Do any of y'all have a Digitakt yet? I'm thinking of getting one to use as a sequencer and drum machine, since the Youtube videos I've seen look promising. I just want to do improvised stuff with loops, not make songs with it. Other gear is a Minibrute and Alpha Juno 2

Yea, I'm a dummy. Anything particular you're interested in?
It's very immediate. Coming from the other boxes I actually don't know if I agree with the obfuscation they've done to make it easier. You can't do kit tricks like on silver boxes, it's all tied to pattern. No SD card and limited internal storage is a drag. Mono is loving ridiculous. I'm not sorry I grabbed one though. I look at it as a very modern s01 or ms-1 with an elektron sequencer strapped on. It's fun to :420: and sit on the floor and feed it with the modular.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

philkop posted:

I get what you mean about wanting more sounds and not the same one. So planning to drop another $500 just to expand a mopho might not be the best plan. I took another good look at it anyways and I don't think I could get along with its programming (The same kind of shared knob as the blofeld. Deepmind has some of this too but way less.) In my mind, it was my ticket to getting a prophet but spacing the cost out over two purchases.

Cool little string box! I find I can get those kind of sounds and editing from my OP-1. Definitely looking to step up to a fully capable and pretty deep poly synth.

I just wanted to clarify something, since I really don't know. The complexity that is hidden in menus, are you mostly referring to the mod matrix stuff? One of the reasons for strongly considering the DM12 was that all of the "Basic" functions seemed to be on the surface while the only things that were deep in menu were things that would be in menus on any synth. That being said, I'm not afraid of a little deeper programming. I'm actually most excited about the modulation when it comes to synths. Back in the day when I had Fruity Loops I used to rig up a bunch of separate instruments and effects to one XY controller to the point where you could just control the XY to make a whole song. Looking forward to nerding out and learning about each of the modifiers and trying to use them all in cool ways.

I think I get your guitar analogy. Are you just saying that it does a lot more under the hood and I may not use or need all that it offers? The Piezo thing makes me think it has some kind of niche sound or feature set but it seems pretty middle of the road to me in that regard.

I totally missed that you had the op. Anyway, the DM is basically an expanded Juno 106 and is a pretty peculiar thing to clone and base a modern poly on, that's the piezo part. On the other hand it's still more synth for the money than anyone else provides. And it has modulation out the wazoo, which is controlled through the menus entirely. I was more driving at getting something more straightforward, a semi modular mono would be a great start for messing with modulation, and seeing all the modulation points at once is *much* better at giving you interesting ideas to patch. Do you really need polyphony? One thing with fully analog synths is the modulation will behave in a predictable way, at very high frequencies or with very subtle settings. DM's lfos are digital I think.

Can't type much more since our cat just got attacked by the neighborhood crazy cat and wedged himself under the house somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

loga mira posted:

I totally missed that you had the op. Anyway, the DM is basically an expanded Juno 106 and is a pretty peculiar thing to clone and base a modern poly on, that's the piezo part. On the other hand it's still more synth for the money than anyone else provides. And it has modulation out the wazoo, which is controlled through the menus entirely. I was more driving at getting something more straightforward, a semi modular mono would be a great start for messing with modulation, and seeing all the modulation points at once is *much* better at giving you interesting ideas to patch. Do you really need polyphony? One thing with fully analog synths is the modulation will behave in a predictable way, at very high frequencies or with very subtle settings. DM's lfos are digital I think.

Can't type much more since our cat just got attacked by the neighborhood crazy cat and wedged himself under the house somewhere.

Good luck with that cat situation!

Definitely need poly. I'll be playing keys with a band soon where I'll cover some rhode-esque/organ/misc pad sounds. I realize there are plenty of boxes that can do that alone much cheaper and possibly better but I'd rather just get a full synth for my own purposes and program a handful of simple patches for the band. Even for my own purposes though, I can't imagine living with a single voice. I know you can do great things with them but it just isn't enough for what I hope to be the only synth I'll need for a while.

I hear your point on the mono though! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia-S5c63g5c This is pretty neat and more than I'd have imagined squeezing out of it but I'll need the ability to play true chords 90% of the time. I'll definitely be watching some videos on synthesis when I pick up mine. I'll be sure to watch some on modular synths as well just to get some ideas of routings while being mindful that my mod matrix is just a virtual patch bay.

E:

loga mira posted:

seeing all the modulation points at once is *much* better at giving you interesting ideas to patch

Got a cool idea. I'm mostly likely going for the DM12. If I do, I'll make a nice info-graph/pseudo patch bay of all of the mod destinations of the DM and keep it on the wall near my synth for inspiration at a glance. I could use more artwork near my music space anyways.

Obviously this isn't a substitute for the freedom of a real modular, but it should get some juices flowing without having to scroll through the menus.

philkop fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 28, 2017