Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for a 27" 1440p monitor for web development and design - higher colour accuracy is good but I'm not doing much print work, so it doesn't have to be super accurate. I'm currently using an old 24" Asus Pro-Art IPS, which is ok but could do with being a lot larger. I'm not super fussy about response times so long as they aren't really slow. Thin bezel/infinity edge nice but not necessary.

Budget is £400/$525.

Currently looking at the Dell UltraSharp U2717D (or U2715H for a little cheaper) or the BenQ GW2765HT (a lot cheaper).

You could get a XF240HU, especially if you have a Microcenter around, they were running them for $400. Those are the fastest-response IPS panels around, and it's pretty great for gaming, even if AMD cards are thin on the ground at the moment.

You could also get something like an Acer K272HUL, those a similar panel but probably a lower bin (slightly slower response times), and without the gaming features. But you can find those even cheaper.

If you are only going to do professional work and you're willing to splash out, Dell does make really nice monitors. I had a P2715Q and the panel was nice (although there were a few occasional firmware bugs)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
What was wrong with Philips BDM3275UP IPS-AHVA 32" Black 4K Ultra HD that is not available anywhere (in canada at least). The reviews seem fantastic. The price, reasonable. Yet, after only 2 years it seems to have vanished.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Same the Qx2710s aren't what they were like 2 years ago, for $210 it was a loving steal.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Hi guys. I'm currently using a U2412M as my main monitor with a U2312 in portrait on the side, I guess I'd notice quite a difference in response/smoothness going to something like the XB271HU? Has anyone tried both the TN and IPS versions?

And since it's a vesa mount I could just keep the dell base right?

I'd quite like to go to the 32 inch IPS they do and not have a 2nd monitor but 4k would be a bit much for a 1070, plus it's way more expensive.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Is anyone else keeping their eyes on the Dell U2718Q? I was considering the P2715Q, but I like the thinner bezel on this newer version, and I'm curious about the mysterious "Dell HDR." It's not clear if it's HDR10 or just some sort of "HDR lite." It also has an HDMI 2.0 input for 4K compatibility, while the P2715Q can only do 4K over DisplayPort.

The U2718Q seems to be on sale from Dell's store, but no one has reviewed it yet. Does it actually exist?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

ryangs posted:

Is anyone else keeping their eyes on the Dell U2718Q? I was considering the P2715Q, but I like the thinner bezel on this newer version, and I'm curious about the mysterious "Dell HDR." It's not clear if it's HDR10 or just some sort of "HDR lite." It also has an HDMI 2.0 input for 4K compatibility, while the P2715Q can only do 4K over DisplayPort.

The U2718Q seems to be on sale from Dell's store, but no one has reviewed it yet. Does it actually exist?

The impression I get is that it can decode HDR10 but isn't actually like an insane contrast HDR panel? Not sure honestly.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Hmm hope it doesn't have the display port issues

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Also it doesn't get anywhere near as bright as needed for hdr10--350 nits is not great

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Is the Dell S2716DG still a good gaming monitor or is there something much better for the price these days? I am looking for something with its specs (1440p, G-Sync, 144hz) but since it will only be used for gaming I would be OK with it being a TN panel (giving how much praise it gets).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
For its price, there's still nothing else that really competes with it. You need to drop a few hundred more to step up to an IPS version, though you can get close if you're willing to go used/refurb.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Is the Dell S2716DG still a good gaming monitor or is there something much better for the price these days? I am looking for something with its specs (1440p, G-Sync, 144hz) but since it will only be used for gaming I would be OK with it being a TN panel (giving how much praise it gets).

There isn't really another option at that price point. The pixel inversion was a deal breaker for me when I tried one, though, so I ended up spending a whole lot more on the Acer Predator. Maybe I had a bad panel or am more sensitive than others to it. Whenever there was a fast moving image, boom, there it was: very distinct columns of pixels, like interlacing.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

So I already know the answer to this is "no, you idiot," but I am going to ask anyway.

I have had a decent little monitor for several years now, and now that my desk at work has two of these things daisy-chained together, I decided earlier this week to see if I can get a couple of them for my home computer. I nearly had a heart attack when I looked up their price. I'm pretty sure my company gets a hell of a discount, but god drat.

Now, I don't have $3,200 for a couple of drat monitors, and I really don't need a monitor with built-in speakers since I wear headphones most of the time. I don't give a drat about curved or flat, either.

But I still want to get a couple of ultrawides for my GTX 970 to feed into. Can anyone recommend a way to get a couple of decent ultrawides for less than $800 total? Every monitor I've ever owned cost me less than $250, so I have been shocked by the prices I'm seeing on NewEgg and Amazon.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Keshik posted:

So I already know the answer to this is "no, you idiot," but I am going to ask anyway.

I have had a decent little monitor for several years now, and now that my desk at work has two of these things daisy-chained together, I decided earlier this week to see if I can get a couple of them for my home computer. I nearly had a heart attack when I looked up their price. I'm pretty sure my company gets a hell of a discount, but god drat.

Now, I don't have $3,200 for a couple of drat monitors, and I really don't need a monitor with built-in speakers since I wear headphones most of the time. I don't give a drat about curved or flat, either.

But I still want to get a couple of ultrawides for my GTX 970 to feed into. Can anyone recommend a way to get a couple of decent ultrawides for less than $800 total? Every monitor I've ever owned cost me less than $250, so I have been shocked by the prices I'm seeing on NewEgg and Amazon.

If you'll settle for 2650x1080, these are excellent monitors and on sale for $230 each right now with NewEgg promo: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025516

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Zero VGS posted:

If you'll settle for 2650x1080, these are excellent monitors and on sale for $230 each right now with NewEgg promo: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025516

Everyone should jump on that because they are great ips monitors.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Keshik posted:

You can either get a pair of the smaller ones mentioned by Zero VGS or you could get a single Dell U3417W which is 34", 3440x1440, IPS and curved. You should not overlook the curved part, it matters because at these sizes even IPS can't keep up with the viewing angles in the corners so uncurved monitors have faded colors at the corners, by slightly curving the monitor you prevent that effect.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Thanks for the recommendation on the LGs; but Radish has convinced me to wait around on a deal for a monster like the ones I have at work. I'm actually going to ask the IT guys if I can just get issued a couple of them for when I work remotely. I guess I've gotten spoiled.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

What's the Freesync range on that? 40-75Hz? It's a little tough to research monitors on mobile.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

NewFatMike posted:

What's the Freesync range on that? 40-75Hz? It's a little tough to research monitors on mobile.

I dunno, mine is an earlier model of the same monitor and I think I hacked it to be 30-75. I know it obviously went all the way up to 75hz.

As if the deal couldn't get sweeter at $230 on NewEgg, LG is tossing in Ghost Recon Wildlands with it for free: http://www.lg.com/us/experience-monitors/promotions

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
When should 5k monitors like the imac get affordable?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Depends on your definition of "affordable" and whether you mean as a simple 5k@60Hz monitor, or one with *Sync, >60Hz, HDR, etc.

If you mean the former, probably sometime in late 2018 into 2019. 27" 4k@60Hz monitors are now around $350 from Dell, and thus happily in the "affordable" sector. 5k needs HDMI 2.1 to support, so it straight up won't happen before that.

If you mean the later...gonna be a while.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

teraflame posted:

When should 5k monitors like the imac get affordable?

Uhh you can get a 5k monitor right now (a used Dell UP2715K 27" UltraSharp) for $1,489.95, that's not exactly unaffordable if you need it for work: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/1081827/

Edit: They have them as low as $1300 on Amazon, again used: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00OKSFXZU

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 31, 2017

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I have a question: Which feels more different, 4k or G-Sync? My monitor just seems to bore me at this point, and considering how much time I'm in front of the thing I could really go for something that makes it feel more refreshing, if a new monitor can do that much. I've already got a 1060, and I'd like to keep that upgrade path open, so it's a choice of G-Sync or 4k. Any IPS monitor with both only goes up to 60Hz, which seems to defeat the purpose. Anything coming out soon with everything and a cherry on top is well over a thousand dollars, and that's more than I can do.

I don't pull out the new games too often, so that's not a real priority. I'm in Photoshop and Maya a fair bit, as well as watching lots and lots of videos. More space would always be nice, but from what I've read about high framerate monitors, they just feel better to use and I would love that. This may just be grasping at straws altogether, but once I've done it I can move on to being bothered by something else. I feel like the choice could be between this Acer Predator and a Dell P model.

Which of those do you think would feel different, feel more alive, compared to an old Dell U2412M? (IPS, 1920x1200)

eames
May 9, 2009

I'd personally shop for 144Hz first and 4K/Gsync second. The fluidity of high refresh rates was quite a game changer to me, even when doing simple tasks like scrolling web pages.

Gsync is nice to have but works best when your GPU is struggling, so it is an ideal match for 4K monitors as no GPU can deliver a reliable 4K/144FPS yet. The easier your resolution/game is to drive the less useful Gsync becomes, i.e. if you only play Overwatch at 1080p with a GTX1070 or better then Gsync is a waste of money.

In your case you'll probably want to prioritise 4K IPS over all of the above.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
Does anyone have any recommendations for a 1080p, 60Hz monitor that will vertically pair well with the height of S2716DG (http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-agjr?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-AGJR)?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wulfolme posted:

I have a question: Which feels more different, 4k or G-Sync? My monitor just seems to bore me at this point, and considering how much time I'm in front of the thing I could really go for something that makes it feel more refreshing, if a new monitor can do that much. I've already got a 1060, and I'd like to keep that upgrade path open, so it's a choice of G-Sync or 4k. Any IPS monitor with both only goes up to 60Hz, which seems to defeat the purpose. Anything coming out soon with everything and a cherry on top is well over a thousand dollars, and that's more than I can do.

I don't pull out the new games too often, so that's not a real priority. I'm in Photoshop and Maya a fair bit, as well as watching lots and lots of videos. More space would always be nice, but from what I've read about high framerate monitors, they just feel better to use and I would love that. This may just be grasping at straws altogether, but once I've done it I can move on to being bothered by something else. I feel like the choice could be between this Acer Predator and a Dell P model.

Which of those do you think would feel different, feel more alive, compared to an old Dell U2412M? (IPS, 1920x1200)

I personally would go with the predator. I use the Dell monitor at work and while it's nice it doesn't feel very special or anything. I have to use dpi scaling to read anything anyway so the extra resolution feels kind of wasted. At home I have a 1440p Asus which is pretty much the same monitor as that Acer and it's great. When I first got it I spent five minutes moving the mouse cursor around because 165hz is smooth

If you don't care about games much then you've got zero reason to be interested in g-sync. But if you want the higher refresh rate, there's a middle option between the two monitors you're considering: 3440x1440 ultrawide 100hz monitors. More space than the acer, higher refresh rate than the dell. I think they're generally pricier though

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Wait, there is a benefit to 60+ hz refresh rates even when you're not much of a gamer? How noticeable is a higher refresh rate when you're just doing web browsing/media stuff?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Incessant Excess posted:

Wait, there is a benefit to 60+ hz refresh rates even when you're not much of a gamer? How noticeable is a higher refresh rate when you're just doing web browsing/media stuff?

It is very noticeable. After you've used 120Hz or more, going back to 60Hz is painful. Everything is just nice and smooth.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
From personal experience is a mixed bag. It feels smoother and more responsive, so your computer feels less laggy, and if you watch lots of movies on your computer, the more divisions your monitor has the less you have to drop frames, which makes them not feel like they're being watched on a computer.

Otherwise not really.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Incessant Excess posted:

That was the first thing I noticed. Everything just felt different. Is it worth getting the monitor just for that? Not for me, but I bought it for vidja games so it's already there.

And you'll notice it most while scrolling webpages or moving things around on the desktop.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FWIW, I was blown away by high refresh and gsync for maybe a day and then it just kind of disappeared into the background of my awareness.

So, if you're upgrading just to bring back the "oh wow this is awesome" that feeling may only last for a day or so.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What's a good, inexpensive 27 inch 1440p IPS monitor? The mismatch between my pg279q and the 24inch 1080p Dell I have really annoys me now. I just want decent color accuracy (so hopefully it won't look too different from my primary after applying whatever tftcentral's recommended settings are) and thin bezels

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VostokProgram posted:

What's a good, inexpensive 27 inch 1440p IPS monitor? The mismatch between my pg279q and the 24inch 1080p Dell I have really annoys me now. I just want decent color accuracy (so hopefully it won't look too different from my primary after applying whatever tftcentral's recommended settings are) and thin bezels

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009996&ignorebbr=1

Evidently $30 off with code EMCXRJRB2, but there's also a $25 off $200 MasterPass deal going on if that code doesn't work (I think it's for people who sign up for their emails) - not sure if you could combine them. And if the code doesn't work, they'll evidently honor the $30 coupon if you purchase over the phone.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 1, 2017

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lindsay Lohan posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 1080p, 60Hz monitor that will vertically pair well with the height of S2716DG (http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-agjr?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-AGJR)?

Another Dell 27" with a similar case will probably be your best bet, for example:
https://smile.amazon.com/Dell-SE2717HX-RVJXC-Full-Monitor/dp/B01LXTK4T6/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Evidently $30 off with code EMCXRJRB2, but there's also a $25 off $200 MasterPass deal going on if that code doesn't work (I think it's for people who sign up for their emails) - not sure if you could combine them. And if the code doesn't work, they'll evidently honor the $30 coupon if you purchase over the phone.

I was looking at these a few weeks ago, $220 is a super good deal (Microcenter was $300, Newegg was $350). It's not high-end by any means, but I'd rather take this than a low-end Korean panel or a 1080p. Those are your other options at the price range - and frankly this is about as cheap as a "good" monitor ever really gets, below $200 you start making severe compromises. It'd be a great second screen for productivity or graphics work. 27" 1440p is a really nice amount of screen real-estate and doesn't really need scaling, and although it's not a super-fast-response AHVA it's still probably better than TN for graphics stuff (except possibly Dell). The Dell P2715Q 4K IPS is also nice for that stuff (goes for about $350), and can be run at a high-quality 1440p or 1080p for dual-screen use, and is probably a notch higher quality all around.

My work is offering me a workstation "upgrade" from a 4770 to a 6700 but in the process I may lose my SSD. I desperately want them to upgrade our 22" sub-1080p monitors to these instead of bothering with that, but we have corporate-standardized workstation configs. If I can't get an SSD I'm gonna keep my current workstation.

I was the last person who got issued a desktop, and the first to get issued an SSD. I managed to get a SSD specced in at least one guy's laptop, but either way we now have a bunch of people doing Java web development on i5 U-series mobiles. :ughh:

(We have a desktop spec too, but then if you need to work remote you have to Citrix in, rather than VPN, since we don't allow personal machines on the corporate network. We're small enough that all of our programmers end up doing a bit of devops, so it's a pain.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 2, 2017

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've been thinking about moving up from 2560x1080 to 2560x1440 as I've grown annoyed at the lack height and lack of support for 21:9 in games compared to 16:9.

This right here just sealed the deal. Thank you.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Well, the Acer is one the way. I hope I like it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

When is the Asus pg27uq (the 4k 144hz ips gsync) expected to be available?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Caught a review on a monitor that I would like very much, the Asus MX34VQ. Depending on where you get it, it's $720-$800. 3440x1440, VA, Freesync with LFC up to 100Hz, and oddly no vertical adjustment, just tilt. It's kinda extremely my poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIt_qwYRAJc

Only place I could find with it in stock.

I don't need it. I definitely don't need it.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

NewFatMike posted:

Caught a review on a monitor that I would like very much, the Asus MX34VQ. Depending on where you get it, it's $720-$800. 3440x1440, VA, Freesync with LFC up to 100Hz, and oddly no vertical adjustment, just tilt. It's kinda extremely my poo poo.

Its VA and we don't like VA around these parts, not as bad as TN but.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

NewFatMike posted:

VA panel review with a suspicious lack of grayscale transitions filmed. Avoid.

See the videos here for reference: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=565#post474688381