Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

team overhead smash posted:

Checked out the Kindle sample. Seems more like a "which tank is best"/"who would win in a fight" type book. I'm more looking for something on the research race as the sides continually up-armoured/up-gunned.

You might find that for specific tanks, but I don't think that there is a book covering a large number of them in any appreciable detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Ensign Expendable posted:

You might find that for specific tanks, but I don't think that there is a book covering a large number of them in any appreciable detail.

That's too bad. A book on the differing research methodologies and requirements in tank design would make for interesting reading, even if you had to split it into separate books for each power.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Ensign Expendable posted:

Mycroft Holmes posted:

That's too bad. A book on the differing research methodologies and requirements in tank design would make for interesting reading, even if you had to split it into separate books for each power.

There are at least some that present themselves as if they do like The Tank Factory , Death by Design and Rude Mechanicals for the UK, Mobility, Shock, and Firepower: The Emergence of the U.S. Army's Armor Branch, 1917-1945 for the USA, German Late War Armored Fighting Vehicles for Germany. The only thing is I have no idea if they're any good.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

team overhead smash posted:

Checked out the Kindle sample. Seems more like a "which tank is best"/"who would win in a fight" type book. I'm more looking for something on the research race as the sides continually up-armoured/up-gunned.

"My tank is best tank because torsion bars."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Armored Champion does do this somewhat, as the book is split across different eras and theaters of operation. It doesn't go into as much detail as it probably could, but it's certainly an interesting read into what went into making a "Good" tank for the time.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Does anyone know of an article or anything anywhere that gives a rundown of modern body armor systems and their performance?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The best tank is the prettiest tank. That's why A7V and St Chammond were poo poo while MK IV and FT-17s were great.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

JcDent posted:

The best tank is the prettiest tank.

Isn't this actually how Nazi tank procurement worked?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

GotLag posted:

Isn't this actually how Nazi tank procurement worked?

the best tank is the artisinal-est tank.

Nazis = hipsters, I guess.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The Führer was a starving artist, checks out.

Tias
May 25, 2008

No kidding, check this poo poo out: http://www.hipsterhitler.com

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Remora posted:

Does anyone know of an article or anything anywhere that gives a rundown of modern body armor systems and their performance?

There's the NIJ standard that defines the performance for levels focused largely on police usage. This chart summarizes:

In the context of the US military wikipedia can give you the basics of the evolution from the PASGT, to the Interceptor Body Amor, to the Improved Outer Tactical Vest. This general idea might be the next evolution, but there have been several others that were ultimately canceled.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does the US (or a comparable contemporary military) still use a flamethrower? If so, what model is it, and how has it changed since the early/mid 20th century?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I believe it's all incendiary and/or thermobaric rockets and recoilless-rifle shells these days. Does a flamethrower's job but with ten times the range.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Napalm and related incendiary gravity bombs are still all the rage if you need to reach out and touch someone( with fire).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

Does the US (or a comparable contemporary military) still use a flamethrower? If so, what model is it, and how has it changed since the early/mid 20th century?

They probably have some because things don't always just disappear or get thrown away when something better tailored for certain situations gets developed. Sure we have laser guided FAE bombs but there's probably some part of the broader military decision tree that calls for marines carrying flamethrowers and werfing flammen into various nooks and crannies. It's just that the wars the US has fought in the recent few decades have had irregular forces hiding in isolated caves that our planes can just lob thermobarics down into.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, but handheld werfers are not part of the USMC inventory any longer, so they'd have to build and issue one if that came up.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The current hotness for replacing air, breathing, for the purpose of with fire, breathing, for the neutralization of are incendiary rockets such as the US M202 FLASH, the RPO-A Shmel with its incendiary rocket (it also has a smoke and thermobaric rocket), and the FHJ-84.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

so you're saying that flamethrowers are now... lamethrowers?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
choose your own adventure:

1) fire a rocket from behind cover 200m from the target

2) slowly walk up to the target with a bigass fuel tank on your back

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bewbies posted:

Where's the option to question my previous life choices?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Where's the option to question my previous life choices?

In your holster.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bewbies posted:

Tias posted:

Yeah, but handheld werfers are not part of the USMC inventory any longer, so they'd have to build and issue one if that came up.

Marine: that tank better be amphibious and vtol capable

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 7, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FAUXTON posted:

Marine: that tank better be amphibious and vtol capable

Seems like a job for quadcopters!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

xthetenth posted:

*crashes a Chinook into an Osprey*

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

FAUXTON posted:

*crashes a Chinook into an Osprey*

3 more marines died in an osprey crash yesterday

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of amphibious tanks, what were the descendants of the Sherman DD? Is there an Abrams variant out there that can swim?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Better not tell Trump about the flamethrower gap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Bo2ro60ro

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Speaking of amphibious tanks, what were the descendants of the Sherman DD? Is there an Abrams variant out there that can swim?

The Sheridan could either go amphib or had a variant that could IIRC. I'm pretty sure our general take on that has been to go deep on air superiority and use aircraft/helicopters for fire support in a contested landing, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though they do produce a sand crawler for use in amphibious landings.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

gradenko_2000 posted:

Modern consensus is that amphibious crossings are a bad loving idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTDqcfPUTt0

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Actually, assuming they can carry sufficient explosions could be a valid method for delivering ordnance, particularly around corners, down/up stairs and such. Is this already a thing?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Fangz posted:

Better not tell Trump about the flamethrower gap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Bo2ro60ro

And I thought being a human bipod for rifles and MGs looked unpleasant. :supaburn:

BattleMoose posted:

Actually, assuming they can carry sufficient explosions could be a valid method for delivering ordnance, particularly around corners, down/up stairs and such. Is this already a thing?

ISIS has been using them for scouting, as flying bombs, and to drop rifle grenades or gas.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 7, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

BattleMoose posted:

They can, but the capability is pretty underwhelming at this point any everyone is hurriedly developing various ways to deal with drones so it may well wind up being the kind of tech that never really takes off so to speak.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Amphibious capability is like those theoretical powers the queen has, that only persist so long as she refrains from using them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/senorrinhatch/status/894584061934452736

Sorry Senator it means cum now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'll wad you, sonny jim.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Here's a news report on the impact of ISIS drone bombing in Raqqa. It's not winning battles or anything, but it has definite tactical impacts now.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

That moment when the technological advantage your military used to have gets used by the bad guys (Battle of Taranto/Prince of Wales & Repulse Never Forget).

I've been reading Shattered Sword on the recommendation of this thread and it's fantastic. Leaves me wanting a CYOA as one of the Japanese senior political or military leaders.

a) That plan's insane! Reject it and reduce military spending before our economy collapses and all our neighbors hate us (turn to page 4: you are assassinated).

b) stonewall and keep military spending stable while you try to build consensus against this insane plan (are you Yamamoto? If not, turn to page 4 where you are assassinated).

c) OUR INVINCIBLE SPIRIT WILL LEAD US TO VICTORY! Increase military spending and design strike plans against your neighbors and local superpowers (turn to page 88 for the first 6 months and then turn to page 44 where the rest of the advanced world kicks your poo poo in, sinks your carrier group and nukes your hometown. But at least you didn't get assassinated).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'd assume being able to semi-silently drop a grenade into someone's poop shack is bound to make people nervous.