Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

TMMadman posted:

I don't believe I have ever killed a scum buddy with a dayvig.

It was the D&D esque one where you crossbolted someone. I'll go find it, not that it really matters...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quidthulhu posted:

It was the D&D esque one where you crossbolted someone. I'll go find it, not that it really matters...

I really don't think that was me. I mean the other parts of what you said can be considered true, I have made excuses for why I wasn't posting as scum, but I seriously don't think I've ever killed a scum buddy with a dayvig.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

TMMadman posted:

I really don't think that was me. I mean the other parts of what you said can be considered true, I have made excuses for why I wasn't posting as scum, but I seriously don't think I've ever killed a scum buddy with a dayvig.

It was Exploring the Void and it was a night vig you claimed, but I think you straight up killed a scum buddy at night?

Also apparently I have played in every single Shine game. Who knew!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quidthulhu posted:

It was Exploring the Void and it was a night vig you claimed, but I think you straight up killed a scum buddy at night?

Also apparently I have played in every single Shine game. Who knew!

Just looking through that game, I claimed a night vig on Jimson who was town.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Oh I guess tpinks thrilling saga is concluded with "oh, never mind"

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Like he literally just ignored every thing else I and others posted and only replied to posts about himself.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Max posted:

Like he literally just ignored every thing else I and others posted and only replied to posts about himself.

he didn't reply to my posts about him!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Didn't say he replied to them all : )

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

TMMadman posted:

Just looking through that game, I claimed a night vig on Jimson who was town.

You did SOMETHING in that game that I went on a long dissertation with a wild conspiracy theory that was right.

Why are you harping on this, the point was you were scum and excused yourself, it doesn't matter how we got there. This is a weird nitpick.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I'm having serious trouble engaging in this game. It moves quickly and mostly during times I'm asleep or at work, so I am going to appeal to your better natures.

Ask me questions, give me homework. Ask for reads on a player, opinions on posts, freaking anything to help me show real honest commitment to the game. I'm about to go to work, but if you guys give me stuff to focus on then in a few hours I can try and actually post, instead of just catching up.

I'm sure someone will call me out for "having someone else do work for me" but I seriously need something like this to give me a place to grip onto this game. I'm hoping that if I get engaged on specifics I can burrow in and start playing for real.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quidthulhu posted:

You did SOMETHING in that game that I went on a long dissertation with a wild conspiracy theory that was right.

Why are you harping on this, the point was you were scum and excused yourself, it doesn't matter how we got there. This is a weird nitpick.

You're right, it's a weird nitpick. I blame it on having a bit of a mush brain from my drive today. And now that I've finished my dinner, so I'm going to take a long hot shower and then kick back in my chair to maybe a watch a movie before coming back to the thread.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mithross posted:

I'm having serious trouble engaging in this game. It moves quickly and mostly during times I'm asleep or at work, so I am going to appeal to your better natures.

Ask me questions, give me homework. Ask for reads on a player, opinions on posts, freaking anything to help me show real honest commitment to the game. I'm about to go to work, but if you guys give me stuff to focus on then in a few hours I can try and actually post, instead of just catching up.

I'm sure someone will call me out for "having someone else do work for me" but I seriously need something like this to give me a place to grip onto this game. I'm hoping that if I get engaged on specifics I can burrow in and start playing for real.

I kind of feel you here Mithross. Because I wasn't able to get engaged with the game immediately, I feel like I've fallen behind which in general just makes me lose some focus on the game. So I also wouldn't mind people pointing me in a direction, preferably with quotes or a link, and then asking for my opinion.

But for now shower time.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mithross posted:

TMMadman posted:

I kind of feel you here Mithross. Because I wasn't able to get engaged with the game immediately, I feel like I've fallen behind which in general just makes me lose some focus on the game. So I also wouldn't mind people pointing me in a direction, preferably with quotes or a link, and then asking for my opinion.

But for now shower time.

if you guys are serious about this, letting someone direct you to certain spots isn't necessarily the best way to contribute your own view on things. Just gently caress the haters and take your time, start back from the first post and skim through quickly, typing quick gut reactions as you go till you get to the end with a whole string of reactions and see what you ended up with. That should at least give you an idea where it's good to look at next in more detail.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mithross posted:

is eightbux asking too many questions?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Mithross posted:

Okay I'll bite

This guy has contributed nothing to the game and is probably scum, why aren't you voting them?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Birdstrike posted:

Okay I'll bite

This guy has contributed nothing to the game and is probably scum, why aren't you voting them?

:thurman:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anyway i think accusing kin gburgundy of faking content is one of the dumbest things i've seen in a while

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Quidthulhu posted:

Where did MMT go?

:350: and cooking dinner but I'm checking in.

Quidthulhu posted:

Ehhh, I really dislike that MMT case on me because I think it's fairly lazy to put two completely separate posts together and present them as if they were on top of each other.

---

Murmur Twin posted:

My case on you is that:

(a) I have been doing the thing where I bunch similar quotes into one box to make my posts readable for years now.
(b) You and I have probably played... what, 20? 30? games together in that span.
(c) You've never acted like it was suspicious in any of those games. (in fact, no one has)
(d) I don't understand what was weird about quoting your opinion and then expressing mine - as far as I know, that is also just me playing Mafia the way I normally do.
(e) You brought these up specifically in response to me casing you.

And so I'm trying to ask what specifically stood out at you that prompted you to be suspicious of my posting style this game, because to me the most likely reason is that you're scum who was trying to discredit my case (moreso than town who was legitimately weirded out by my posting)

You just linked a game where I cased you doing the same thing you tried to dismiss as suspicious in this one. Just sayin'.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I know that you truncate things as a habit, but the WAY you did this particular one was bad. It ignored poo poo that was relevant and presented my statement in such a way that I believe was disingenuous.

This is once again not at all what I was asking about. You are misinterpreting basically everything I say. I'm not sure if it's willfully or not at this point cause if it is you've really committed to it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Murmur Twin posted:

:350: and cooking dinner but I'm checking in.

You just linked a game where I cased you doing the same thing you tried to dismiss as suspicious in this one. Just sayin'.

:lol: casing Quid about the way posts are quoted

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
folks I have an idea

MMT are just going to keep doing this until they get a room, but all the sleeping cars on this train are full, so

let's make a room for them

THUNDERDOME Quid vs MMT who is with me?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

I know that you truncate things as a habit, but the WAY you did this particular one was bad. It ignored poo poo that was relevant and presented my statement in such a way that I believe was disingenuous.

This is once again not at all what I was asking about. You are misinterpreting basically everything I say. I'm not sure if it's willfully or not at this point cause if it is you've really committed to it.

I'm sure that you of all people can remember what it's like to suspect someone of being scummy and then grilling them trying to get to the bottom of it? Admittedly at this point I'm probably being influenced by wanting to be right so I'll let it go.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Not wanting to thunderdome with someone you know isn't on your scumteam, MMT? :v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Birdstrike posted:

folks I have an idea

MMT are just going to keep doing this until they get a room, but all the sleeping cars on this train are full, so

Have thunder domes ever actually happened, I feel like I only ever see them called for and then everyone votes someone who isn't even in the proposed dome.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The Lord of Hats posted:

Have thunder domes ever actually happened, I feel like I only ever see them called for and then everyone votes someone who isn't even in the proposed dome.

I've only ever seen them used as a power role which forces people to switch, but let's grass roots this one!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

tpink posted:

My thought is that it's really weird that you are suggesting a D1 lurker lynch given that there's a bunch of content already and given Pod's anti-lurking rules.

---

Again with this poo poo (sorry, I'm catching up on posts sequentially). Are you just looking for an easy lynch target for D1? There's like 20 pages of posts.

---

This is also really not helping me with the weirdness I'm feeling from the MMT-Quid slapfight. You are really overreaching, MMT.

Hahaha does anyone here remember Shine 2? I was scum with tpink and specifically remember him going down because he made posts that implied people were shady, but he never voted.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Birdstrike posted:

folks I have an idea

this idea is a chunderdome

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

folks I have an idea

yeah nah let's vote Hats or maybe Mithross or tpink

LMac woulda been nice too but that doesn't seem to be getting anywhere

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

Not wanting to thunderdome with someone you know isn't on your scumteam, MMT? :v:

When you say "Thunderdome" you mean "restrict the vote to 2 people, one of whom you know 100% is town, at no benefit to you", right? :j:

While I'm still suspicious of you, at the moment I feel like peramene and tpink are both way more likely to be scum and are better votes.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
SACRIFICE #1: Quidthulhu

Quidthulhu posted:

Lately if I am playing I am scum, and if I'm lurking my rear end off I am town, but I just lurked two games in a row as scum and town so I would focus on my play because my meta is not very helpful.

Quid starts off his journey into the ScumderdomeTM with this idiotic description of his own meta.

Quid then goes after Hats of his own accord...

Quidthulhu posted:

There it is, the first post in D1 that I feel acts like it's offering content but in reality is floating ideas and then back tracking on them.

##vote Hatlord

Quidthulhu posted:

I like Bif's case work, and while I think spending a lot of time talking about the flavor kill is a waste of time, there is enough oddness with this that I think she's on to something here.

Hats are you awkward new to scum, be honest

But also for flavour case reasons.

Quid then forgets his thoughts about who is scummy and focuses on defending himself.

Quidthulhu posted:

Ehhh, I really dislike that MMT case on me because I think it's fairly lazy to put two completely separate posts together and present them as if they were on top of each other. I called out Hats, then he responded at which point I further said "Hmm, not sure I like how you are reacting to this, are you new scum?"

And as a result I got a lot of information about how I shouldn't be dismissing him as newbie scum. That makes his hemming and hawing look a lot worse to me.

So MMT, why did you present those as being basically the same post? It's not a very strong case if you remember that he, you know, said poo poo in between.

Worse than MMT pushing that case is Hal "me tooing" it as if it is a good case. That looks REAL lazy.

Quidthulhu posted:

Wasn't Hal one of the main pushers for that, followed up by his terrible "I agree" on MMT's case on me?

That's a hurm!

##vote Hal

O M G U S

Quidthulhu posted:

Hal, what's your deal with "me too"-ing MMT's bad case, please explain

OKAY OKAY I got to here and there is SO much more crap I haven't bothered quoting (or probably reading), this gist is that Quid is way more focused on defending himself than being useful.

It's not necessarily scummy behaviour but it's not pro-town.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Thunderdomes aren't really pro-town either

fun and dramatic though

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
SACRIFICE #2: MMT

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Quidnose

Great start.

Murmur Twin posted:

I love how "my meta is not very helpful" can mean two different things, both of which apply to what quid said.

Murmur Twin posted:

I like wordplay. I was saying that you can interpret his post as either:

"My meta isn't a useful tool to figure out alignment"

or

"My meta is that is that I myself am not useful for finding scum"

And I was making the (mostly tongue-in-cheek) statement that both statements apply to quid.

##vote Asiina - I can't imagine anyone actually thinking I was being serious / making an alignment call on Quid this early in the game.

This vote on Asiina is terrible. It's not our job to parse the hidden meanings in your trash.

Later on TMM goes for that predictable vote on MMT idk what, maybe he was jealous MMT was paying attention to Quid?

Murmur Twin posted:

I think you're basing your memory of me on one specific game where you happened to be scum who knew that I was correct?

But if you want my honest-to-god best read at the moment, it's ##vote Quid

This doesn't look like town who found something interesting and wants to find out if he's right, it looks like scum who wants it on the record that he has an opinion.

As mentioned before - this looks far more like fabricated content than what he's accusing Hats of putting out there.

After going out of her way to vote Asiina for believing her initial "jokevote," MMT decides to return to that jokevote and paint a target around the arrow. "Look at me I was always suss on Quid."

MMT then gets some other opinions on people who aren't Quid, some of which I agree with, some of which I don't (ie I wouldn't vote tpink)

just shut up about quid, yeah

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

gif Probst posted:

gimme 2 hrs and i will elaborate on errything

Based on post times It's been 2 hours

spill Probst

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

after rereading with context instead of just clickin that question mark, i dont think burgundy is scum. I saw some things that could be construed as buddying, little things here and there, but i think that is just how he is as a poster and it didnt come off as filler on a reread. my initial suspicion toward him was because of his usage of prior game meta, to me it came off as him trying to put a blanket read on a behavior that wouldn't be really verifiable to people who werent part of the game but would help assauge him as trying and giving earnest reads. to me this came off as deceptive, but reading into things more, i understand why hes giving these reads when some players do fall into certain patterns, unlike me, who is always town and has never been scum before.

understand that my suspicion was very real, it was coming from a place of "why is he talking about other games this early on hes posting a lot but im not getting anything from this to go off of i cant even verify if anything hes saying is right".

my main suspicion of hats, max, comes from the immediate rolespeccing and trying to place doubt on the n0 flip immediately. hats came out with a scenario where the n0 kill may not have been from a scum faction but possibly a third party sk or a second scum team. i dont know about hats but i have only one scum faction in my role PM that i care about eliminating. hats casually piles on when mac was getting votes that he did something anti-town, which i still never saw or understood.

hats begins to address me. lets unpack the things you want to unpack. i dont like the little mac vote because he isnt coming off as scum or intentionally devious to me. i dont see him trying to stir confusion, trying to rolefish, trying to overplay, over lurking, etc.

you strawmanned your #2 point against me.

#3 did come out of left field and i did elaborate on it but you still included that line "not elaborated on until just now". comes off to me as an attempt for defamation.

birdstrike what is thunderdome

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Thank you Probst

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

gif Probst posted:

birdstrike what is thunderdome

thunder dome is where you can only vote for one of 2 people, I thought if we got rid of one of Quid and MMT it would be good but there are probably better votes

having said that I am open to throwing other people into the ScumderdomeTM

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Birdstrike posted:

thunder dome is where you can only vote for one of 2 people, I thought if we got rid of one of Quid and MMT it would be good but there are probably better votes

having said that I am open to throwing other people into the ScumderdomeTM

i will fight anyone in a dome this is what i was born for

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

will there be torches?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Birdstrike posted:

MMT then gets some other opinions on people who aren't Quid, some of which I agree with, some of which I don't (ie I wouldn't vote tpink)

I feel like you might have been better served discussing those cases instead of summarizing my first few posts in the game without making an alignment call, but you do you.

Why wouldn't you vote tpink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

gif Probst posted:

my main suspicion of hats, max, comes from the immediate rolespeccing and trying to place doubt on the n0 flip immediately. hats came out with a scenario where the n0 kill may not have been from a scum faction but possibly a third party sk or a second scum team.

Why would scum (whose goal is to go undetected and blend into town) do that, though? Like to what end?

Also all that happened at the start of the game, is Hats n0 speculation still the scummiest thing you've seen so far?

• Locked thread