Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

repiv posted:

Puget tested PCIe scaling with the Titan X Pascal, which is basically the same as the 1080ti. Dropping from 16x to 8x does make a difference but it's very small in most cases.

i like the test results that were faster with 8x? for some goddamn reason?

you can also play with this yourself if you have a motherboard with a good BIOS. i did it with a 1060 on a z170 board and didnt get any change at 8x and barely any at 4x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cygni posted:

Probably within the margin of error of the test, i.e. doesn't matter either way unless you run a datacenter with 50000 of the things.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cygni posted:

you can also play with this yourself if you have a motherboard with a good BIOS. i did it with a 1060 on a z170 board and didnt get any change at 8x and barely any at 4x.

I think those were all 1080p so probably some weird CPU bottlenecking fuckery at that point. There was one that was 10% difference so it wasn't all margin of error though.

It does look like a 3-5%+ difference going from 16/16 to 8/8 at resolutions where it matters, and I would guess that is likely to increase with the greater horsepower of the next gen cards. My next build may be my first non SLI/CF build in 10 years though since support for it is getting so terrible.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Here’s What Microsoft is Saying Internally About Surface Quality and Reliability

quote:

There are a number of interesting aspects to this memo. The first is a mention of “some quality issues” that the firm experienced with “the launch of Surface Book and Surface Pro 4.” I summarized these problems and Microsoft’s painfully slow response in my early 2016 article Welcome to Surfacegate. But it may be useful for everyone to understand how and why this happened.

Multiple senior Microsoft officials told me at the time that the issues were all Intel’s fault, and that the microprocessor giant had delivered its buggiest-ever product in the “Skylake” generation chipsets. Microsoft, first out of the gate with Skylake chips, thus got caught up by this unreliability, leading to a falling out with Intel. Microsoft’s recent ARM push with Windows 10 is a result of that falling out; the software giant believes that Intel needs a counter to its dominance and that, as of late 2016, AMD simply wasn’t up to the task.

Since then, however, another trusted source at Microsoft has provided with a different take on this story. Microsoft, I’m told, fabricated the story about Intel being at fault. The real problem was Surface-specific custom drivers and settings that the Microsoft hardware team cooked up.

The Skylake fiasco came to a head internally when Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella met with Lenovo last year and asked the firm, then the world’s biggest maker of PCs, how it was dealing with the Skylake reliability issues. Lenovo was confused. No one was having any issues, he was told. I assume this led to some interesting conversations between the members of the Microsoft senior leadership team.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

On one hand, sure intel needs to be taken down a peg for its size and near monopolistic tendencies. On the other you cannot blame them for custom silicon implementations (which, as a surfacebook owner, is a lot of badly done custom silicon).

I love that Panay was fact checked by Nadella by way of lenovo of all companies :lol:.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Intels near monopolistic tendencies when their nearest competitor sits on their rear end for 3 years.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Don Lapre posted:

Intels near monopolistic tendencies when their nearest competitor sits on their rear end for 3 years.

Imagine seriously thinking this, and ignoring Intel's behavior over the last three decades.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's almost like being an utter bastard business screws competitors so they can't execute well.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Intel Trinity is a great book, especially if you are into slasher horror.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

That is absolutely amazing. Thanks.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Custom drivers and firmware.

After making a show of the Surface line being a charge against snowflake hardware and pre-wrecked software environments, led from the front.

:ughh:

Goddamnit, Microsoft.

EDIT: Wait, how much of the snowflake drivers made it into the Microsoft Update Catalog to be spewed at first-run Windows 10 installations on things that aren't Surfaces? :ohdear:

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 15, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

More like Paul Throrittgossip.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I had a SP3 that would have frequent wake from sleep problems. I RMAd it (which was an easy, Apple-like process in terms of doing cross-shipping, so that was nice) and the replacement had fewer troubles with sleep, but then had a recall on its power cord.

My boss' SP4 has constant WiFi connection issues on a known-good Ubiquiti WLAN. About once a week he'll yell out to the office "is the WiFi down?" when the poo poo-garbage Intel N3530 all-in-ones have rock-solid WiFi stability.

I also lolled often because the SP firmware updates would be delivered by Windows Update. It never happened to me, but I always wondered if the computer would ever force a reboot to install updates, start installing a firmware update automatically, and then have the install fail, bricking the device. I have never owned any computer that had automatic firmware updates, and while I'm aware that in the days of UEFI firmware updates are a lot less scary, I've been using computers for long enough that "hold your breath" is a common practice for firmware updates of all kinds.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 15, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I sold a few Surface 2 and 3s and they were utter trash. Those people gave them away a few years later and bought apple stuff. Thats how loving bad it is.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My boss and his son both got the mid range Surface Books a few months ago. What a poo poo show they are. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Failure to wake from sleep on occasion. The official "dock" sometimes doesn't initialize after sleep, necessitating a unplug/plug. The high resolution screen is gorgeous, but Windows still sucks horribly at display scaling, even many MS apps still don't handle high DPI well. The external camera sometimes stops working; only way to get it back is to delete it from Device Manager and reboot.

Out of the box, 1 in every 3 wakes would fail. A windows update run did provide some firmware updates, which greatly improved it, but it still happens on occasion. It is 2017 and they still haven't got sleep/wake figured out?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

stevewm posted:

My boss and his son both got the mid range Surface Books a few months ago. What a poo poo show they are. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Failure to wake from sleep on occasion. The official "dock" sometimes doesn't initialize after sleep, necessitating a unplug/plug. The high resolution screen is gorgeous, but Windows still sucks horribly at display scaling, even many MS apps still don't handle high DPI well. The external camera sometimes stops working; only way to get it back is to delete it from Device Manager and reboot.

Out of the box, 1 in every 3 wakes would fail. A windows update run did provide some firmware updates, which greatly improved it, but it still happens on occasion. It is 2017 and they still haven't got sleep/wake figured out?

it's such a good laptop but it has such QA problems

microsoft stores at this point apparently are just like "yep that seems like a problem why don't we just swap it for a new one"

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The idea of a Surface Book is so cool, but I just can't with the software. Ballmer/Sinofsky were right insofar that regular Windows was a weird fit for them, but Metro was obvious a wrong solution to a legit problem.

I don't know whether they'll sort it out; maybe they'll make for awesome cloud terminals one day, or something new will come along when an ARM-compatible Windows is released.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm glad the only problems my Surface Pro 4 have had are the bluetooth/wifi ribbon cable sticking out a bit from the top of the glass and that one time the touch screen stopped functioning until I rebooted the thing.

So nothing really major just hope I never accidentally cut that cable on something. It actually looked like a sharp needle of glue or some stuff til you look at it closer since it's a weird color.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I will never understand why they decided to cut the throats of their OEMs and strike out on their own as a device manufacturer.

I bought a Microsoft Windows Experience or something Dell laptop for my mom a couple years ago and it has been awesome. As part of the certification, they're not allowed to bundle bloatware, trialware, and whatever else on the system, just a clean Windows install. Why they didn't go that route, I don't know.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

canyoneer posted:

I will never understand why they decided to cut the throats of their OEMs and strike out on their own as a device manufacturer.

I bought a Microsoft Windows Experience or something Dell laptop for my mom a couple years ago and it has been awesome. As part of the certification, they're not allowed to bundle bloatware, trialware, and whatever else on the system, just a clean Windows install. Why they didn't go that route, I don't know.

because their OEMs were pushing out utter garbage: they've gotten a lot better but when microsoft started getting into the surface thing windows laptops were abysmal and features that were basically standard on macs like good screens, good build quality, etc, were barely present on the windows side and usually you had to get only one: lenovo laptops were well built but garbage screens, some laptops had good screens but garbage construction, etc

and the less said about pre-Surface windows tablets, the better

microsoft wanted to create the market space and the OEMs weren't doing it, so they did it themselves. and, like, five years later there are finally some passable surface clones.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The worst part of it is the drat devices are pretty nice to use when they work. Pen stuff is great too... although Apple came out with a better pen product in their first generation.. lower latency, better tracking. It's hard to give MS a pass anymore. The hardware is glitchy and Win 10 is not great.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I don't really blame the OEMs for risk taking when MS/Intel is raking vast majority the profits business-as-usual for decades and leaving them with scraps.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think MS made the smart choice in doing their own. AMD is in a similar pickle with FreeSync, because everyone can use it for free, and there's a lot of poo poo monitors out there that give FreeSync a bad name versus G-Sync.

There are also so many ways to use a Windows device that it's not like they're going to capture all the marketshare in all spaces. Especially in this gaming-centred day and age.

Putting the pressure on Apple to not rest on their creative demographic laurels was also a very good outcome. Surface Studio is quite the achievement, and I probably like its design more than iMac's.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

evilweasel posted:

because their OEMs were pushing out utter garbage: they've gotten a lot better but when microsoft started getting into the surface thing windows laptops were abysmal and features that were basically standard on macs like good screens, good build quality, etc, were barely present on the windows side

This is the sole reason I ended up with a MacBook Pro Retina a few years ago. One of my top priorities was a great screen, and Apple was basically the only way to get what I wanted. Never had a Mac up until that point.

I am now spoiled by the superior DPI scaling in OSX.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I literally have no idea what laptop I'd get if I had to move from MacBooks. ThinkPad were awesome, but after Lenovo bought them, they don't hold the same allure as they used to.

And granted, the days of detachable batteries at the back of tank-like laptops has passed.

(Except that my T500 is still alive and kicking.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ufarn posted:

I literally have no idea what laptop I'd get if I had to move from MacBooks. ThinkPad were awesome, but after Lenovo bought them, they don't hold the same allure as they used to.

Not to mention the multiple scandals where Lenovo was caught very deliberately bundling them with actual malware (and in one case making it incredibly difficult to remove)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah that's the part that keeps me from recommending them to others. Just how badly do you gently caress up something like that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My SP3 has been largely fine up until the shitastic Marvell wireless adapter flat out suicided and no longer exists in Device Manager. Of course that's also ignoring the day 1 replacements (plural, because the first one was erroring during the OOB before leaving the store). It feels like Microsoft is cutting corners just a little too much during manufacturing and the quality control isn't catching everything but it's a great device if you get one that works (:v:).

Surprised the Surface team was trying to pin the blame on Intel for issues though, the CPU seemed like the least problematic component of all the Surface issues I've read about.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11722/intel-reveals-ice-lake-core-architecture-10nm-plus

My take from this is that as some of those rumors suggested, Cannon Lake isn't coming to the desktop ever. On desktop, Coffee Lake and 14nm++ will take them until Ice Lake and 10nm+ in 2019. Cannon Lake will come only to laptops.

And I think the why is answer by this chart:

We all knew Intel's 10nm struggles, and this seems to confirm that 14++ Coffee Lake has higher transistor performance than 10nm Cannon Lake.

Basically I wouldn't worry about Cannon Lake coming and making your 6-core Coffee Lake obsolete a few months after it launches.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

isndl posted:

shitastic Marvell wireless adapter

For as expensive as these things get, the highest crime was being forced to use this loving chipset. My config was nearly 3k after everything and you guys couldn't even do me a solid?

Cygni posted:

Basically I wouldn't worry about Cannon Lake coming and making your 6-core Coffee Lake obsolete a few months after it launches.

We're not worry about chip obsoletion, it's having to buy a new mobo every other release. I hope this ends with Cannon Lake it wont

incoherent fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 15, 2017

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Cygni posted:

We all knew Intel's 10nm struggles, and this seems to confirm that 14++ Coffee Lake has higher transistor performance than 10nm Cannon Lake.

But won't cannon lake have more than enough transistors to make up for it?

E: I suppose it won't since it's just a die shrink

Struensee fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 15, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Cannon Lake = Broadwell 2.0 :v:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

bobfather posted:

I also lolled often because the SP firmware updates would be delivered by Windows Update. It never happened to me, but I always wondered if the computer would ever force a reboot to install updates, start installing a firmware update automatically, and then have the install fail, bricking the device. I have never owned any computer that had automatic firmware updates, and while I'm aware that in the days of UEFI firmware updates are a lot less scary, I've been using computers for long enough that "hold your breath" is a common practice for firmware updates of all kinds.

I know a guy who experienced something like this. He was doing a test install of Win10 on a system with and SDI card. The driver install for the card also updated the firmware. At 80% of the reflash Win10 BSODed, resulting with a bricked $1000 SDI card.

eames
May 9, 2009

Gigabyte "accidently revealed" (:rolleyes:) a Motherboard with the Atom C3958 Denverton SoC with 16 cores, 2.0 Ghz and 31W TDP.

http://b2b.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MA10-ST0-rev-11#ov

a pretty compelling package with 32GB eMMC, registered DDR4 ECC support, 2x 10Gbit, 2x 1Gbit, IPMI, etc.

Do we know what IPC is like compared to full-fat desktop processors? I wonder if Intel is quietly bringing a new architecture in position, like they did way back then with the Pentium M which eventually replaced Netburst a few years later.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cygni posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11722/intel-reveals-ice-lake-core-architecture-10nm-plus

My take from this is that as some of those rumors suggested, Cannon Lake isn't coming to the desktop ever. On desktop, Coffee Lake and 14nm++ will take them until Ice Lake and 10nm+ in 2019. Cannon Lake will come only to laptops.

And I think the why is answer by this chart:

Damnit. I was really looking forward to upgrading from Sandy Bridge straight into a a single digit nm chip.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

eames posted:

Gigabyte "accidently revealed" (:rolleyes:) a Motherboard with the Atom C3958 Denverton SoC with 16 cores, 2.0 Ghz and 31W TDP.

http://b2b.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherboard/MA10-ST0-rev-11#ov

a pretty compelling package with 32GB eMMC, registered DDR4 ECC support, 2x 10Gbit, 2x 1Gbit, IPMI, etc.

Do we know what IPC is like compared to full-fat desktop processors? I wonder if Intel is quietly bringing a new architecture in position, like they did way back then with the Pentium M which eventually replaced Netburst a few years later.
clock per clock, both bay trail and braswell are 30% ahead of core duo and i figure apollo lake would be either the same or slightly better

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/63508/Denverton

Dang it goes from 2 all the way to 16

Is it just me, or is it wierd how the higher core number processors have higher clocks? :thunk:

That's a weird bin

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 16, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Would that be any good as a media server? Currently using a NAS with Kodi, but it'd be nice to have something that's capable of transcoding so it can serve a wider variety of devices, particularly for serving stuff over the internet if I ever get internet that isn't hot garbage.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SwissCM posted:

Would that be any good as a media server? Currently using a NAS with Kodi, but it'd be nice to have something that's capable of transcoding so it can serve a wider variety of devices, particularly for serving stuff over the internet if I ever get internet that isn't hot garbage.

Sure but a Pentium dual core will also do just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

https://ark.intel.com/products/codename/63508/Denverton

Dang it goes from 2 all the way to 16

Is it just me, or is it wierd how the higher core number processors have higher clocks? :thunk:

That's a weird bin
almost totally unrelated, why does Intel refer to all their processors as "Products formerly X"?