Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

incoherent posted:

For as expensive as these things get, the highest crime was being forced to use this loving chipset. My config was nearly 3k after everything and you guys couldn't even do me a solid?

We're not worry about chip obsoletion, it's having to buy a new mobo every other release. I hope this ends with Cannon Lake it wont

Worrying about replacing motherboards is the strangest dang thing because with CPU trajectories as they are (And unlikely to change), by the time you want to replace a CPU you would zero question want to replace the board as well due to overall platform improvements/features/bells and whistles.

Like, all the people currently rocking Sandy Bridge chips, they're stuck with slower (and now far more expensive) RAM, far fewer I/O options, no fast SSD boot support, less helpful BIOSes, etc.

If you were really really concerned about upgrade ability without replacing motherboards, then there are definitely platforms that allow it- For all that it's a loving trainwreck, you can definitely get an X299 board now with a Kabylake-X or something and then in 3 years if you want more cores ebay up a cheap 7900X or higher.

But cheap Ebay CPUs are pretty much the only way stuff like that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Sure but a Pentium dual core will also do just fine

Wouldn't that choke with more than 2 video streams at once? My aim is to get something that's able to serve 4+ devices at a time.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Gwaihir posted:

Worrying about replacing motherboards is the strangest dang thing because with CPU trajectories as they are (And unlikely to change), by the time you want to replace a CPU you would zero question want to replace the board as well due to overall platform improvements/features/bells and whistles.

Like, all the people currently rocking Sandy Bridge chips, they're stuck with slower (and now far more expensive) RAM, far fewer I/O options, no fast SSD boot support, less helpful BIOSes, etc.

If you were really really concerned about upgrade ability without replacing motherboards, then there are definitely platforms that allow it- For all that it's a loving trainwreck, you can definitely get an X299 board now with a Kabylake-X or something and then in 3 years if you want more cores ebay up a cheap 7900X or higher.

But cheap Ebay CPUs are pretty much the only way stuff like that makes sense.

Not to mention that after 5+ years of service some of the components on your motherboard are likely becoming degraded and you might need to replace it soon just because of that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Malloc Voidstar posted:

almost totally unrelated, why does Intel refer to all their processors as "Products formerly X"?

The "X Lake" names are internal codenames and aren't really supposed to be public. It's like when Nintendo was developing the Dolphin and then when it was nearing release, their marketing dept decided to call it GameCube.

With intel there's two problems: the official product names are numeric gibberish and there's no branding on new platforms aside from their codenames. Even the Wikipedia articles go by the platform codenames.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

STH has lots of info on all the various Denverton server boards coming out. Some are pretty interesting, like this guy they reviewed: https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-a2sdi-h-tp4f-review/

16 cores, 2x10GbE, 2x SFP+, and 12x SATA in mITX, with 53w power consumption under max load. Would make a hell of a storage server in a tiny package.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mewse posted:

The "X Lake" names are internal codenames and aren't really supposed to be public. It's like when Nintendo was developing the Dolphin and then when it was nearing release, their marketing dept decided to call it GameCube.

With intel there's two problems: the official product names are numeric gibberish and there's no branding on new platforms aside from their codenames. Even the Wikipedia articles go by the platform codenames.

Yeah, it's silly. There is no Haswell, it's "4th Generation Intel Core" product. Have fun remembering that!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

ufarn posted:

I literally have no idea what laptop I'd get if I had to move from MacBooks. ThinkPad were awesome, but after Lenovo bought them, they don't hold the same allure as they used to.

And granted, the days of detachable batteries at the back of tank-like laptops has passed.

(Except that my T500 is still alive and kicking.)

Dell XPS 13

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ufarn posted:

I literally have no idea what laptop I'd get if I had to move from MacBooks. ThinkPad were awesome, but after Lenovo bought them, they don't hold the same allure as they used to.

And granted, the days of detachable batteries at the back of tank-like laptops has passed.

(Except that my T500 is still alive and kicking.)

Dell's XPS line is every bit as good or better than current iteration macbooks. (Yes, even the touchpads are fine now). Precisions also fill in the older W series Thinkpad niche.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Dell still has terrible WiFi cards on the XPS lineup.

Also, their sound card drivers are subpar. My partner's machine often refuses to see plugged in headphones.

Rest of the hardware is ok though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Nah, the XPS15 has one of the very few actual Broadcom 3*3 AC chipsets in it, it's got about the best performance out there.

e: although it looks like they went backwards down to a 2*2 version in the refresh, nevermind :|

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Just drop intel wlan cards into dell products. I did it immediately when I managed to coupon stack a XPS 13 9350 down to like $500 shipped on their refurb outlet before they changed how they do sales there.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I had everyone on of the problems described on the previous pages with my Surface Pro 4 back when I first got it. But after 3 or 4 months of driver, windows, and firmware updates it has been very solid.

eames
May 9, 2009

Intel's claimed singlethread/multithread performance increase from Skylake to Coffee Lake.
Most of the ST performance is probably because of the larger L3 cache. Thanks Ryzen. :3:

e: this also seems to confirm that hyperthreading is reserved for the i7 which makes the i3-8350K a whole lot less attractive. :argh:

eames fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 18, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Wasn't the assumption that we get 4/4 and 6/6 with the next crop of i3 and i5?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ufarn posted:

Wasn't the assumption that we get 4/4 and 6/6 with the next crop of i3 and i5?

That's what I thought anyway. 4 core 4 thread for an i3 is nice. 8 threads would muddy the marketing waters over the 6 core 6 thread i5, which would otherwise be clearly superior.

4, 6, 12 threads. Makes sense. It's honestly how the i3/i5/i7 mainstream line-up should have been for a while now.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

That's what I thought anyway. 4 core 4 thread for an i3 is nice. 8 threads would muddy the marketing waters over the 6 core 6 thread i5, which would otherwise be clearly superior.

4, 6, 12 threads. Makes sense. It's honestly how the i3/i5/i7 mainstream line-up should have been for a while now.

If AMD had offered competition earlier when do you suggest we would have had this upcoming line-up upgrade?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ufarn posted:

Thinkpads are still awesome. Just do your research. One of the gens had a garbage trackpad. Some of the ultra thins can have thermal issues if you block their vents, to the surprise of no one. Otherwise, no real issues, the "malware" thing is overblown garbage. I have a t450s and it is pretty good. Very durable, I throw it around and do all kinds of outdoor things with it. The screen is great (1920x1080 @ 14" ips with respectable color/brightness). The ports are kinda questionable, but having ethernet + vga without any adapters is solid. HDMI needed a mini display port adapter.

The only real con is it's tedious to get inside and I worried I would break something. There is no way I am getting an SSD or more RAM from lenovo. They markup price a lot and don't really describe what their ssd is. I bought and installed those myself.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 18, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

Otakufag posted:

If AMD had offered competition earlier when do you suggest we would have had this upcoming line-up upgrade?

Could you gently caress off with the AMD vs Intel fanboyism please

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intel also leaked some new Coffee Lake mobile SKUs. 4/8 U series SKUs coming, but with a pretty big clock drop. Aint nothin free at 15W TDP.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11732/unannounced-8th-generation-core-15w-u-series-cpus-appear-on-intels-price-list

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Cygni posted:

Intel also leaked some new Coffee Lake mobile SKUs. 4/8 U series SKUs coming, but with a pretty big clock drop. Aint nothin free at 15W TDP.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11732/unannounced-8th-generation-core-15w-u-series-cpus-appear-on-intels-price-list

That seems super unimpressive for 400 dollars, i woder how well amd can do at 15w.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What are our chances of a 6-core i7/i5-HQ 45W processor this cycle?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wargames posted:

That seems super unimpressive for 400 dollars, i woder how well amd can do at 15w.

Intel's mobile CPU list prices are really screwy, and not always representative of what happens in the real world. You'll note that the 100mhz faster models have the exact same list price? And how you can find "$300" CPUs in $500 laptops? Makes you think.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Twerk from Home posted:

Intel's mobile CPU list prices are really screwy, and not always representative of what happens in the real world. You'll note that the 100mhz faster models have the exact same list price? And how you can find "$300" CPUs in $500 laptops? Makes you think.

Intel partnership that is worth 400 million dollars a quarter is how, just ask dell.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wargames posted:

15w is pretty drat tough to fit inside, especially now that mobile CPUs are basically SoCs. AMD offered a 15w 2/4 variant of Carrizo, but at that low wattage, any advantage the GPU might have given was neutered and it basically performed like a i5-5200U in games and worse in any CPU dependent tasks. I never saw any reviews of the Bristol Ridge mobile CPUs so I dunno how they did.

Raven Ridge will be interesting, i imagine it will also be a 4/8 like the new Coffee Lake specs, just using a single CCX. I wouldnt expect any miracles at 15w though.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 18, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I dunno, Someone supposedly got one of those 15w quad core laptops and benchmarked it and had it performing around the slower skylake and kabylake 45w quad cores (6300H, 7300H). Could be full of poo poo but we'll know more next week.

http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/intel-core-i7-8550u-coffee-lake-specs-performance-and-detailed-benchmarks/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

Raven Ridge will be interesting, i imagine it will also be a 4/8 like the new Coffee Lake specs, just using a single CCX. I wouldnt expect any miracles at 15w though.

I would love a decent AM1 replacement where you can get the mobo+CPU for like $50.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

What are our chances of a 6-core i7/i5-HQ 45W processor this cycle?

65 watts? Sure, 45 watts? ehhh maybe not. What's a 45 watt processor used for over a 65 watt one? Still too much for a laptop or NUC, 65 watts can be cooled with a really tiny heatsink, does 45 watts just get you less noise or is there an application I'm not thinking of?

Fake edit, actually looking at Xeons there are some full size 25 watt 4 core Skylake Xeons so those could probably scale up to 6 cores and 45 watts without dropping clock speeds uselessly low. https://ark.intel.com/products/98858/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1505L-v6-8M-Cache-2_20-GHz 4 cores 8 threads, and 2.2GHz in only 25 watts.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

craig588 posted:

Fake edit, actually looking at Xeons there are some full size 25 watt 4 core Skylake Xeons so those could probably scale up to 6 cores and 45 watts without dropping clock speeds uselessly low. https://ark.intel.com/products/98858/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1505L-v6-8M-Cache-2_20-GHz 4 cores 8 threads, and 2.2GHz in only 25 watts.

Intel's had 8-core 45W SoCs for 2 years now, if there was a place for a 45W 6-core i7 then could do it whenever they wanted now.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

craig588 posted:

65 watts? Sure, 45 watts? ehhh maybe not. What's a 45 watt processor used for over a 65 watt one? Still too much for a laptop or NUC, 65 watts can be cooled with a really tiny heatsink, does 45 watts just get you less noise or is there an application I'm not thinking of?

45W is the traditional thermal envelope for workstation-class laptops or gaming-focused mini-PCs, i.e. something like a 6700HQ.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Paul MaudDib posted:

45W is the traditional thermal envelope for workstation-class laptops or gaming-focused mini-PCs, i.e. something like a 6700HQ.

Yeah, 45W is the envelope I'm thinking of specifically because of the thought of having more cores for a workstation laptop.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cygni posted:

You could run 8 ryzen cores alone with 35w, if the graphics is clocked low enough they could possibly have a 20w sku.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Canadian prices might have leaked?
https://videocardz.com/72147/intel-core-8th-gen-coffee-lake-cpus-listed-for-back-order

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Going by Canadian Price Ratio, it seems like they'll be pricing the 8700K at 390-399, plain 8700 at 329-339, 8600k at 270-279, 8400 at 190-199 (an interesting undercut at the cost of overclocking), 8350k still not worth mentioning, and 8100 at 120-129.

This is different in that they're finally putting K parts at a premium instead of a 10 dollar markup, but the more interesting part is currently the 8400. It is marginally cheaper than the R5 1600 with the loss of 2% speed (across both base and turbo), overclocking, and six subthreads.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You shouldn't do a straight conversion from CAD cause intel doesn't seem too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

16th of September? But my P67 board is dying, not sure if it will last that long :ohdear:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ahahahahahaha gently caress me and my countrymen sideways.

I want to get off this loving i7-3820 already.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Used 4930Ks are going for sub 200 and even a 4960X only goes for about 250. The price to performance comparison of dropping in one of those compared to getting a whole motherboard/cpu/motherboard combo makes a compelling argument.

I made a bet that I'd keep this CPU for a very long time and got a 5820K almost 2 years ago figuring by the time we needed more performance we'd also start seeing more cores used. I know the old adage that future proofing is a myth, but I kept my Sandybridge for almost 5 years and I figured if trends continued I'd keep the Haswell for even longer. Especially in light of Skylake-X, the Haswell-E feels like a really good bet. I kind of was thinking of getting a Skylake-X for 8 cores and AVX 512 before we saw reviews of them, but now at the most I'd get a Broadwell-E if I ended up wanting 8 cores, but for now 6 4.7GHz Haswell cores are enough for me. I don't even run it at 4.7GHz, I keep it at 4.3GHz for now for sub 70C temperatures and haven't felt wanting for performance so lucky me.

Oh yeah, Canadian currency conversion and shipping, I still think a used Ivybridge-E is a better value than a new Coffeelake when you already have the X79 motherboard even if you might have to pay a bit extra to get one shipped.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 20, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Z79 motherboards also go for $400

Maybe you might get lucky with LGA-2011-v1 boards though but you're gonna have to take them in package deals and they only come in SSI-CEB or EATX

Don Lapre posted:

You shouldn't do a straight conversion from CAD cause intel doesn't seem too.
If these are priced 50 dollars higher there's no reason for anyone but the ill-informed and/or inexplicably existing intel fanboys to bother because the 5820k is still cheaper

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 20, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Z79 motherboards also go for $400

He has a 3820 so he already has a X79 motherboard. For anyone without one you're right, without a great deal on them X79 and X99 motherboards are kind of stupidly expensive and take away the value from a used 2011 processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ebay has some for reasonable prices: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Intel-X...RoAAOSwDiBZFFvL